Underoath is a CHRISTIAN BAND??!!

Dead1shotDead1shot Opening Act
edited April 2009 in History of Rock
Well i was at church this morning and after the service let out i went into the christian music store. I looked at the top 10 rock albums and here it went (these are the artists not the album name)
1. Chris Daughtry (Sorry if i spelled it wrong)
2. Flyleaf
3. Casting Crowns
4. Underoath

I was like WTF?! For of those who dont know they sing Desperate Times Desperate Measures. Keep in mind this song has a lot of screaming i was surprised. Did any else no this?

EDIT: dont be hatin the christians!

Comments

• T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    It just goes to show that Christian Rock isn't all as cliched as people believe. I've actually been waiting for more Flyleaf since I first heard "All Around Me".
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2009
    Dead1shot;2136437 said:
    Well i was at church this morning and after the service let out i went into the christian music store. I looked at the top 10 rock albums and here it went (these are the artists not the album name)
    2. Flyleaf
    3. Casting Crowns
    4. Underoath

I was like WTF?! For of those who dont know they sing Desperate Times Desperate Measures. Keep in mind this song has a lot of screaming i was surprised. Did any else no this?
    The music video has a lot of symbolism
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited March 2009
    Dead1shot;2136437 said:
    2. Flyleaf
    3. Casting Crowns
    4. Underoath

:rolleyes: there are loads of Death Metal Christian and even Black Metal Christian bands out there. In your naivety you assume that because something is Metal it couldn't possibly have a positive message.
  • KaaaBoomKaaaBoom Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Yea its more the lyrics that make it Christian Rock vrs.. Regular rock.. when you speak of the almighty etc.. lifting you up .. under his wing etc :)
    edited March 2009
    KaaaBoom;2136478 said:
    Yea its more the lyrics that make it Christian Rock vrs.. Regular rock.. when you speak of the almighty etc.. lifting you up .. under his wing etc :)
    That's not true. Otherwise Norman Greenbaum is Christian Rock
  • DarkHeartsDieDarkHeartsDie Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    also just so you know, All That Remains, they're a christian metal band o_O
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    HeyRiles;2136485 said:
    Hey, just because he's Jewish doesn't mean he can't make Christian Rock songs. :p Let's not discriminate. :)

Generally I don't like Christian Rock; most of what I've heard isn't all that good.. Like bands trying to use the "Christian" label to get more sales and stuff.

However, I like the Underoath song in Rock Band, and I'm So Sick isn't bad. Oh, and Spirit in the Sky is catchy and fun to play in game.. But not something I'd listen to outside of Rock Band,
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2009
    If you take a second to look at the band's name, it's not a big surprise :p
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I can listen to Christian rock if the lyrics aren't like a hellfire & brimstone church sermon (All Around Me, The Feeling) and if it's just good music to mah ears.

I don't like the Underoath song though.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    T-Hybrid;2136451 said:
    It just goes to show that Christian Rock isn't all as cliched as people believe. I've actually been waiting for more Flyleaf since I first heard "All Around Me".
    Underoath has done very little to persuade me that they aren't cliche. They're mediocre by metalcore standards, which means they're downright terrible. Flyleaf and Kutless are both pretty generic as well. I've yet to find a Christian band that doesn't play to the generic formula of their specific genre, in fact.

Also, I don't get the Christian label. That's like saying that a band who writes songs about love is a "Love Band" or something like that.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Knew Underoath was (not a fan of them, anyways), but Daughtry is totally not a Christian rocker.
  • gamrrpolgamrrpol Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    HeyRiles;2136485 said:
    If Spirit in the Sky doesn't qualify as Christian Rock then what does? How would you define Christian Rock?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2009
    Underoath songs are jam-packed with creamy message goodness in their lyrical centers
    edited March 2009
    gamrrpol;2136679 said:
    If Spirit in the Sky doesn't qualify as Christian Rock then what does? How would you define Christian Rock?
    It's because he's a Jew. I simply assume that he wrote it to poke fun at Christian Rock.
  • cscwell107cscwell107 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    As I Lay Dying is also a "Christian" band.
  • gamrrpolgamrrpol Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2136691 said:
    It's because he's a Jew. I simply assume that he wrote it to poke fun at Christian Rock.
    I dunno....if you read the lyrics without knowing who wrote them or heard the song without knowing who sang it...wouldn't it be a Christian Rock song?
    edited March 2009
    OakTea;2136547 said:
    Like bands trying to use the "Christian" label to get more sales and stuff.
    In all honesty, labeling yourself as a 'Christian' band would probably give you less sales
    He wrote it as such because it was catchy and it would potentially be popular
    Alright_Computer;2136643 said:
    I've yet to find a Christian band that doesn't play to the generic formula of their specific genre, in fact.
    Try Tenth Avenue North, they're well-received here in Central Florida
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    No, he wrote it because he likes Gospell Music.
  • edited March 2009
    HeyRiles;2136485 said:
    Dont you ever get tired of being so clever?

Good one!
    edited March 2009
    And really, anyone who stops during a concert to pray (to God) has to be Christian Rock.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Alright_Computer;2136643 said:

Also, I don't get the Christian label. That's like saying that a band who writes songs about love is a "Love Band" or something like that.
    It's a easy marketing term, invented by the same kind of people that sit on tv with the big gold chairs on the big expensive sets with the expensive clothes begging for your money to further their cause all in the name of religion.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I have heard this opinion expressed before, and I really, really don't understand it.

Eddy Vedder wrote a song about a homeless dude. But he's not a homeless dude. So therefore we assume he wrote it to poke fun at homeless people? :confused:

I have seen a small number of hardcore Christians complain that Spirit In The Sky is offensive. What is that all about? Is that a "Jews-killed-Jesus" thing, or is it just that non-Christians aren't supposed to sing about Christianity?
  • a7xforlifea7xforlife Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    yeah underoath is christian. BTW those who said All That Remains and As I Lay Dying were too, your wrong. they have personally disclaimed this fact.
  • edited March 2009
    Its the unending madness of hypocracy.

Wars, Genocides, Torture...

All in the name of "god"....
    edited March 2009
    Electric_Zen;2136803 said:
    I have heard this opinion expressed before, and I really, really don't understand it.

Eddy Vedder wrote a song about a homeless dude. But he's not a homeless dude. So therefore we assume he wrote it to poke fun at homeless people? :confused:
    The difference is that Spirt In the Sky is a really over-the-top Christian song, while Even Flow is trying to make you feel sorry for the homeless dude. I figured it likely I was wrong, but that's just what I thought when I found out the dude was Jewish.
  • IdiostockIdiostock Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Doc_SoCal;2136820 said:

I'm not going to follow the link, so I'll ask. Is it Westboro Baptist Church?
    edited March 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2136844 said:
    The difference is that Spirt In the Sky is a really over-the-top Christian song, while Even Flow is trying to make you feel sorry for the homeless dude. I figured it likely I was wrong, but that's just what I thought when I found out the dude was Jewish.
    Like I said, he was doing a tribute to Gospell music.
  • cscwell107cscwell107 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    a7xforlife;2136813 said:
    yeah underoath is christian. BTW those who said All That Remains and As I Lay Dying were too, your wrong. they have personally disclaimed this fact.
    All That Remains isn't but As I Lay Dying is playing a christian festival this summer in Ohio. Im going to it. They are definitely Christian. They also play them on a Christian radio station I listen to. Link- http://www.alive.org/artists_beach.aspx
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Doc_SoCal;2136820 said:

I was waiting for someone to say that.
    edited March 2009
    That post with the video is off-topic.