Punk VS. Metal

Comments

• kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2137404 said:
    Where are all you guys saying punk usually? Come on, I'm practically alone amongst the progs here!
    I'm not realllllly into either, but I definitely like punk more than metal.

Edit: What he said ^^^^^^
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Metal in general. I'm kinda dumb towards most Punk Rock, but I can definitely appreciate what it's trying to do.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Hmmmm...
    I don't really dig punk that much. I dig a few tunes here and there but....yeah.

Metal.

And to the whole punk/metal scenes discussion, at least to me, it seems like if you noticed somebody that digs metal, and one great band, you're going to get along. Some dude who works with another company at my site looks like Layne Staley, asked him if he digs the metal, said he digs the Pantera, and now we're probably going to start a band or something. I dunno, it just seems we're a pretty tight group where you know what's up.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Can we vote punk metal?
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I prefer metal overall, but love me some classic punk bands like the Misfits, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Bad Brains, etc.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I chose to vote punk only because it's behind. I love both genres, though. I think I'll overload the system:

Municipal Waste
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Repulsion
    Assück
    Stormtroopers Of Death
    Terrorizer
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    No vote. I like both genres a lot. I listen to more punk bands casually, but the metal bands I listen to, I listen to religiously.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Insane3;2137269 said:
    The idea is not to decide which is better but which people like the most.
    Really, cause the OP specifically asks which is better.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Shocked at the polling results so far given how much "not enough metal" posts you tend to see on the boards and the collective groans every time a punk song comes out.

I don't fit into any of Loli's categories. I'm a fat old punk that knows (most) everything and rarely listens to reggae. Besides, everybody knows the punk rock retirement community is the rockabilly scene.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Whatever I'm in the mood for, really.
  • aricron094aricron094 Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    Punk for sure, but I have respect for metal. Colony of Birchmen is a good song.
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Punk is kind of fun but its just not all that interesting to me so metal wins by a long shot. Nothing against the form of music but I also hate the whole punk style, especially wearing a tie with an otherwise normal or somewhat ratty outfit, that has to be among the most visually displeasing things I've ever seen
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I usually prefer punk, but metal is great too. Neither genre is inherently better than the other.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2137677 said:
    Really, cause the OP specifically asks which is better.
    Yes but nobody gives a **** if the op still doesn't realise that it's impossible to determine.
    edited March 2009
    JerryBrudos;2138030 said:
    I also hate the whole punk style, especially wearing a tie with an otherwise normal or somewhat ratty outfit, that has to be among the most visually displeasing things I've ever seen
    Yes, spandex pants, big white moonboot size basketball shoes, acid wash jean vests and teased hair is so much more appealing.
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2138052 said:
    Yes, spandex pants, big white moonboot size basketball shoes, acid wash jean vests and teased hair is so much more appealing.
    If you're going to assume all metal is Glam, than I can also assume all punk is pop-punk...
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I like punk much more, but I also do like a lot of metal.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    The idea behind Punk style is to look ugly to the bourgeoisie.
    http://artistes-et-drogues.cowblog.fr/images/punk17.jpg
    The idea behind Metal style is to look like a horde character from WoW.
    http://www.rockagogo.com/image/big/TR166-metalhead-dos.jpg
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2138090 said:
    If you're going to assume all metal is Glam, than I can also assume all punk is pop-punk...
    How about to the generation of kids that punk is Green Day, Blink 182, and Simple Plan and metal is Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit. Im sure everyone is collectively groaning right about now.
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2138090 said:
    That was actually pretty typical of all metal people in the 80s, glam or otherwise, but I'm pretty sure my point sailed over your head.
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2138221 said:
    That was actually pretty typical of all metal people in the 80s, glam or otherwise, but I'm pretty sure my point sailed over your head.
    Where can I get pics of Slayer looking like this. That would be awesome.
  • thedanielthedaniel Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Both are good, but I prefer punk myself. I wish both genres could get along though, because they are quite similar.

I was actually at a co-headlining show between Against Me! (before they were making generic pop songs and still playing punk) and Mastodon. And I was standing next to a guy wearing a Mastodon shirt, and during AM!'s set he noticed that I was a fan of AM!. And then about 10 minutes after they ended he said "PUNK SUCKS!" and punched me in the face.

I just wish the genres could get along.
    edited March 2009
    thedaniel;2138264 said:
    Both are good, but I prefer punk myself. I wish both genres could get along though, because they are quite similar.

I was actually at a co-headlining show between Against Me! (before they were making generic pop songs and still playing punk) and Mastodon. And I was standing next to a guy wearing a Mastodon shirt, and during AM!'s set he noticed that I was a fan of AM!. And then about 10 minutes after they ended he said "PUNK SUCKS!" and punched me in the face.

They do get along and have gotten along historically for a long time. Look how many times theyve ****ed each other and made a baby. Speed metal & NWOBHM being the first. Then you have thrash, crust, grindcore, grunge, metalcore, crossover, etc...
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    That's funny because Mastodon is sludge (doom + hardcore punk)
  • thedanielthedaniel Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2138277 said:
    They do get along and have gotten along historically for a long time. Look how many times theyve ****ed each other and made a baby. Speed metal & NWOBHM being the first. Then you have thrash, crust, grindcore, grunge, metalcore, crossover, etc...
    I thought they got along too, but then I got punched in the face. My thoughts have since been revised.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    thedaniel;2138264 said:

Now that's a fine case of an *******.
    edited March 2009
    thedaniel;2138289 said:
    I thought they got along too, but then I got punched in the face. My thoughts have since been revised.
    Well sometimes metal beats me in the face too but I just tell everyone I fell down the stairs. No one understands him like me, he does have a soft side. I wish everyone could see this and stop asking me about my blackeyes.
    edited March 2009
    thedaniel;2138264 said:

What a douche.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2138235 said:
    Where can I get pics of Slayer looking like this. That would be awesome.
    Slayer no, but Maiden, Megadeth and plenty of others all had 2 or 3 of those 4 elements working simultaneously.
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2138314 said:
    Slayer no, but Maiden, Megadeth and plenty of others all had 2 or 3 of those 4 elements working simultaneously.
    But never lipstick, makeup, and heels. Thank god. Wouldnt if be awesome if there was a whole genre of artists who dressed like Kiss? Oh wait.