All Event and "Bar Night" Organizers Only!!

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I have half a mind to visit LA just to witness one of your established Rock Band nights.
    Come on down!
    I don't own a 360 so I am still curious about the restrictions on DLC. If my 360 dies, can I get a replacement one and redownload all DLC relatively easily?
    Yes, we just transfered from a 20gig drive to a 30gig drive, they supply the special transfer cable when you buy a hard drive.
    Can I download DLC to multiple XBOXes?
    Only if you get someone to 'crack' those boxes.
    Can I play DLC without being connected to XBOX Live?
    Yes, you just have to log into the game with your xbox ID
    Are there any other limitations I am not considering before going with a 360 on this?
    Not that I can think of. There are several different xboxes, so you need to do your homework.
  • edited March 2009
    The way I see it is that the majority of the people trying this out as you say will not be expert Rock Band players, but novices. I can see a triple cymbal kit getting in the way by making the drum set seem too complicated and then my team would have to get involved in explaining that it doesn't make a difference which one of these you hit, but it does make a difference here.
    We have been using the RB1 drums since Circuit City swallowed a complete RB2 kit that we had sent in to have replaced under warranty. I have the cymbals for RB2 but was completely unimpressed with them, so they are more for gimmick than anything else, I just received the ION kit this weekend and played around with them, they are better with the ION, but unless they are mapped separately like GHWT, I just don't see any point in them, especially since the are made of rubberized plastic. Give me some real cymbals hooked up so I can get the feel of that and then I might like them.
  • CalendyrCalendyr Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Yes I downloaded for over 200$ of music yesterday. And I got the No Doubt pack ;) I really wish there was more radio hits to download, seems like much of the DLC content is not mainstream. I decided not to download everything. I got maybe half the DLC now, I imported the RB1 songs into RB2 and downloaded the AC/DC Live pack into it as well. I think I have enough music now to have a good offering to start with.

Now I have to decide if I will get a second Starpex Obsidian guitar or if I will go for a warbeast. My major problem is that the Warbeast is not sold here in Canada, so if it breaks it will be complicated to have it repaired under warranty. The Starpex seems very sturdy, I think it would last longer than any other guitars for Rock Band available at this time.

For sound I was planning on using the bar's sound system which have speakers in every corner of the bar and also hook up a sound system so that I have have 2 speakers right in front of the stage to dampen the noise from the stage (drums mostly). This will require a lot of cabling.

I will listen to your advice and not to competitions to start with. If there is demand I can add it later. The no fail mode is something I had already decided to use ;) Don't want song after song to fail. It would make it very annoying to new people trying it out and would scare away the other ones.
  • YRDaddyYRDaddy Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    RockBandLosAngeles;2183279 said:

Again, I host three nights a week in Los Angeles, and I have had one contest between two bands, and that didn't turn out well because one person was such a sore loser that I have never seen any of those four players come back again. My job when doing this is to entertain the people that are there, make sure they are having fun so they stay in the bar and order drinks and food. I am being paid by the bar to help them make money, not to host contests between gamers. If I ever start getting that kind of gamer crowd then I will change the format a bit, but I haven't seen it yet. You have to mingle with the crowd and encourage people who are new to try it out. You have to make sure that some people don't hog the stage, yet good players should play a bit more but put them with new people when they need instrument fillers.
    Agreed! More new people then experienced gamers. Some of the people in the bar might even be afraid of this new wierd experienced called Rock Band. There has been a few times that myself and the "roadies" have played cover band so to speak because the other bar patrons where afraid to try it out. Odly enough, everyone was still thouroly entertained, the bar still made their money, and we got the stage to ourselves all night! :)
    Zoologico;2183708 said:

Getting the triple cymbal pack goes along with the tenet of not just showing up with the basic instruments and really jazzing up the hardware you bring to the table.

However, it also goes against the tenet of keeping tings simple.
    The drum set is stil simple once you tell them that they do not have to use the cymbols. Enivitably, they will attempt using them just because they look so cool!
    Calendyr;2184879 said:
    Yes I downloaded for over 200$ of music yesterday. And I got the No Doubt pack ;) I really wish there was more radio hits to download, seems like much of the DLC content is not mainstream. I decided not to download everything. I got maybe half the DLC now, I imported the RB1 songs into RB2 and downloaded the AC/DC Live pack into it as well. I think I have enough music now to have a good offering to start with.

Now I have to decide if I will get a second Starpex Obsidian guitar or if I will go for a warbeast. My major problem is that the Warbeast is not sold here in Canada, so if it breaks it will be complicated to have it repaired under warranty. The Starpex seems very sturdy, I think it would last longer than any other guitars for Rock Band available at this time.

For sound I was planning on using the bar's sound system which have speakers in every corner of the bar and also hook up a sound system so that I have have 2 speakers right in front of the stage to dampen the noise from the stage (drums mostly). This will require a lot of cabling.

I will listen to your advice and not to competitions to start with. If there is demand I can add it later. The no fail mode is something I had already decided to use ;) Don't want song after song to fail. It would make it very annoying to new people trying it out and would scare away the other ones.
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Definitely take advantage of what ever the bar has to offer, wheather it is TV's, sound, or a stage. I would stick to the regular guitars beacause they are cheaper and easier to replace when something breaks. The fanciest guitar I use is the Precision Bass. Jazz em up with decals to make them look different from standard issue equipment, again... for the sake of the show.

Also... Please do not let the Stage Kit be a deciding factor when choosing between Xbox and PS3. Using the stage kit in a bar setting sucks! It has no RB to navagate the menue for song selection and it is wired. There are plenty of similar priced lighting and smoke alternatives that would work just as good.
  • LiquidKourageLiquidKourage Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I agree about the Stage kit. I think the thing is pretty gimmicky and only really intended for an "authentic" experience in the home. In a bar environment, you're much better off getting professional-quality effects anyway. Personally, I don't use any stage effects, but I see how people think it adds a nice touch to the presentation aspect.

FWIW, I recommend myrockbandsongs.com for songlist generation. It's got a good interface for tracking your DLC and a really convenient karaoke-style songbook generator.

As to some questions about a/v setup, i STRONGLY recommend you invest in your own sound system. Yes, some bars have existing sound setups that might work, but what kind of "stage" experience is that? (Unless they have an actual stage setup for bands, DJs, etc... then you can use your discretion). But the point is, you need to be versatile to be successful. With your own sound system you can set up anywhere, any time.

My experience has been you don't "need" to buy every DLC song, but it's not a bad idea either. There are probably 200 songs I own that have never been played in a bar setting, but it does lend credibility when people see the size of your catalog.

I'm tossing some organization names around, let me know if anyone likes them, or has other ideas:

ORBIT-- Organization for Rock Band In Taverns
    NARBECA-- North American Rock Band Event Coordinator Alliance
    MARBLE-- Member Association for Rock Band Live Entertainers
    REVERB-- Ring of Experts on Venue Entertainment using Rock Band

There aren't a lot of good acronyms that use "RB", but there's a few if anyone wants to discuss. I can get some simple groundwork going from there.
  • edited March 2009
    I vote for ORBIT, easier to remember what the anacronym is for than REVERB.
  • ZoologicoZoologico Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    In terms of sounds equipment, I thought the same thing that I did not want to leave such an important component in someone else's hands.

What kind of equipment would you recommend?
    edited April 2009
    For an org name I borrow from what's already up and submit:

ORB (organization for rock band)
    ORBS (organization for rock band services)
    SUPERB (insert creative acronym ending with rock band)

Without fancy acronyms:

Society of Rock Band Event Organizers
    Rock Band Knights
    Rock Band Event Organizers
    Rock Band Organizers Alliance
    edited April 2009
    Here's a recommendation for a PA system:

http://www.b-52pro.com/models/Matrix600.html

I've heard fantastic things about the Matrix line; it's pretty portable, and this system pumps out 600 total watts, which is more than enough to cover a decent-sized room. The mixer on this system looks pretty user-friendly, even for someone with limited pro audio experience. It looks like it retails for under $1000, which makes for a pretty good setup for a beginning host.

If anyone has other suggestions, by all means throw them out here. Full disclosure, I use a Yamaha mixer (16 channel, not sure which model offhand) with a 1000 watt Crown amp and a pair of Peavey PR-12 speakers. I strongly recommend against monitors unless the stage setup really requires them; a lot of performers (especially singers) can get intimidated hearing their sound coming directly at them, and it seems like a sound setup with monitors can wreak havoc on mic settings.

Which brings me to my next point-- has everyone (either current or potential hosts) considered options beyond the standard RB mic? I've got some suggestions and thoughts, but would like to hear from everyone else first.
  • GameRansoMGameRansoM Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Calendyr;2180180 said:

As for the rotation, when you say it's a dynamic environment... what do you mean? Are you talking about organized chaos? :) I am a very organized person, I will planning on having the event setup that way. But from your comment I get a feeling that might not work so well. If you could elaborate I would appreciate it a lot.
    Seems this part was in response to my comment, since you used my own wording.
    I suppose I was a bit vague, so... You're right; I should elaborate.

When using the words "dynamic environment", I was thinking specifically of our Tuesday night gig. It's in a neighborhood bar/pool hall in north Denver - a sort of a "dive bar" in atmosphere, though it's pretty well maintained. It's full of heavy drinkers, sees heavy traffic with people coming & going, and rarely do people come specifically for Rock Band and post themselves up at a particular table with the sole intention of playing the game.

I'm a pretty organized person as well, and Gabe is a self-described "control freak". So, I like your thinking as far as getting a rotation going based on cards placed on each table. It would seem a good way to organize the chaos. However, it would never work in a setting such as that I just described. People rarely stick to one place, or in one group. For us, the closely-monitored sign-up sheet that gets passed around works best so far.

The sort of atmosphere/crowd you should expect is pretty well-described in RBLA's post below...
    RockBandLosAngeles;2183279 said:
    Aahh, now you are falling into the same trap Activision keeps falling into with GH. The vast majority of your people will be people who have either never played Rock Band before or have only played it passively. Until you build a strong following of experienced Rock Band players, which may never happen, the majority of the people who are at Rock Band Night will be there because of the bar and the drinks, not because of Rock Band. The vast majority of your players will be playing on either Easy or Medium, which is why it's imperative that you ALWAYS SET THE GAME TO NON-FAIL MODE, or you will be in for a long evening. These same people will also not be interested in contests or points because they are not gamers, which is why we mostly do Rock Band Karaoke. You will have a lot of women playing, and most women aren't gamers, but nothing works better in a bar than women on stage, and make sure you have the No Doubt pack downloaded!

Again, I host three nights a week in Los Angeles, and I have had one contest between two bands, and that didn't turn out well because one person was such a sore loser that I have never seen any of those four players come back again. My job when doing this is to entertain the people that are there, make sure they are having fun so they stay in the bar and order drinks and food. I am being paid by the bar to help them make money, not to host contests between gamers. If I ever start getting that kind of gamer crowd then I will change the format a bit, but I haven't seen it yet. You have to mingle with the crowd and encourage people who are new to try it out. You have to make sure that some people don't hog the stage, yet good players should play a bit more but put them with new people when they need instrument fillers.
    Luckily, we do have a pretty good following of experienced players making up the core group of "roadies" as well as the occasional dedicated Rock Band junkie and even full bands that show up at times. This has allowed us to move into the occasional "Battle of the Bands" format.

Nevertheless, the above-quoted post is a very accurate generalization of how these nights run.
    He's certainly got his "finger on the pulse", so to speak, after many months of hosting RB Nights! :cool:
    edited April 2009
    **** ****... huh?!

Why does the word R*ck B*nd keep getting bleeped out all of a sudden?? I wonder if this is a legal thing with Harmonix :confused: If this is something that has been done by a moderator, or if this whole thread is out of line for some reason, can someone chime in and let us know please?

EDIT: LOL!! Nevermind! I just got it... It's on all the threads... APRIL FOOLS!! Damn you Harmonix, you crafty devils!
    edited April 2009
    LiquidKourage;2190166 said:

Which brings me to my next point-- has everyone (either current or potential hosts) considered options beyond the standard RB mic? I've got some suggestions and thoughts, but would like to hear from everyone else first.
    I was thinking about getting the MIC which is a wireless mic for the 360.
    I am concerned that it will allow the vocalist to control the game or interfere with the control of the game (specially during menu navigation).

This brings me to my next question:

How do current organizer deal with the phenomenon of people banging on the frets and drums when navigating and selecting a song. At home it makes for a silly few issues, but then people learn to not press anything while menus are being navigated.

On the road I think this would be a nightmare. The event would go less than smoothly as people are constantly asked not to press anything, and to boot, people would never learn since they would not spend an extended amount playing and learning not to touch things while the game is being setup!

Thoughts?
  • RavaanaRavaana Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Honestly man, there isn't really a way to deal with it. Other than asking, them to stop and let us get it to them in a timely manner. It is rather annoying when people keep hitting the RedB-Button and back out during selection.

Now with your mic questions, I have used the blockhead mic setup before. So we had Multiple *****Setups and possibilities. And I was thinking about using my wireless mics, but after someone destroyed a mic, and ****set in a few short weeks, decided against it. All I need is to shell out another $100+ for my mics... Yeah.. right...

Though, if I decide to, I will make sure to find some el cheapo mics. No sense in throwing away too much money, when you do it for free. :p
  • KlubbyKlubby Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    My two cents...

We will have cards (much like karaoke) that the ****s turn in and then we'll announce the next players to come up to the stage. While this is happening, the monitors will be playing a slideshow from a laptop I will have set-up for in between songs. This will have anything from the bar's logo and drink specials, upcoming events, etc. I will be selecting the next song and just as the loading screen is complete, I will pause the game until everyone is ready. Then flip the monitors back over to RB and away they go!
    edited April 2009
    Orbit sounds good to me too, so does Marble.

Thank you for the link for the song generator. My next step is to make the songbook. I am sure it will help a lot. I wish there was a way to download the list from my PS3. I can see myself taking a lot of time to make that list now ;(

How many song books do you guys think is best? Ideally it would be one per table, but since this think will have to be updated often, I don't think that is such a good idea. Also how often do you guys download new songs and add them to your list? Can't re-print every week, that would be crazy... so would once a month or once every 2 months be good? Do you also give info in the song list regarding how to play the instruments and select the dfficulty level? I was thinking of doing a 2 page presentation on that at the beginning of the song book. What do you guys think?

For the stage kit, the review I have seen say it's a good value but that the lights are not strong enough to use if there is any light source around. So that is definatelly not something I want. I might add a complex lighting system somewhere down the road, and maybe a smoke machine but I think that could be unpleasant for some customers.

For sound I agree having a sound system is a good thing. You get more control on how sound is projected and in the case you want to do an event somewhere that has no sound setup, you are not stuck.
    edited April 2009
    Klubby;2191933 said:
    My two cents...

We will have cards (much like karaoke) that the ****s turn in and then we'll announce the next players to come up to the stage. While this is happening, the monitors will be playing a slideshow from a laptop I will have set-up for in between songs. This will have anything from the bar's logo and drink specials, upcoming events, etc. I will be selecting the next song and just as the loading screen is complete, I will pause the game until everyone is ready. Then flip the monitors back over to RB and away they go!
    I think by using the card method that people will feel like they have to have a full band in order to play. They wouldn't just be able to sign up for some random instrument. They also wouldn't be able to see what songs have been played or what songs are coming up, which would lead to duplicate songs or last minute changes by that band which would cause more time to be wasted. Your slide show idea is cool but I hope you have help because just getting 1 band off, the next band on, song selected, and *****ist volumes adjusted will take up the time needed to switch between the laptop slides and Rock Band again. It might just be my preference but I focus on getting the finished band off and the next band up as soon as possible in order to keep music playing. I usually have the next bands song selected and waiting for them to chose difficulties by the time they get to the stage. Usually not more than a min. or two between songs all night.
  • KlubbyKlubby Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    I see what you mean, but we even have on the cards that soloists are welcome and we would jump in if they didn't want to stand there by themselves. This is also noted in our song list binders and I'm sure we'll be announcing it as well. :)

There are 3 on my staff so I plan on everything running smoothly. If someone turns in a card and that song has already been played, we will either let them play it (if it's been awhile and it's a slow night) or kindly ask them to choose something else. Everytime I have been to a karaoke night somewhere, there was no list of what had been played or what was coming up... It was up to the host to decide who was next and what songs were going to be performed and in what order. I think if it were more of a competitive gig, I would go with a running list.

The host will be congratulating and cheering on the departing band and calling up the next while the tech will be choosing the next song in the background while the slide show (and bg music) is playing. I do not expect (or want it to) it to last more than a minute or two between songs either.

I do like the idea of maybe having a separate list for those who don't necessarily want to specifically pick a song and other players, but would jump in at any time on their instrument of choice...just to be playing.

Great ideas everyone!
    edited April 2009
    Klubby;2191933 said:
    My two cents...

Slick, so it sounds like you are running a laptop on top of this and dual inputs into the audio and video from the laptop and the game system.
    Interesting.
    edited April 2009
    The nice thing about the songlist generator I linked was that there's an option to print out the most recent songs (songs you own that have been released in the last 2 months, I believe.) So basically, every month or so you could reprint the main songlist, and every week you just update the newest stuff if you want to save paper and time.

If there is enough interest, I can work on a digital interface system for allowing participants to sign up for Rock Band. I say "enough interest" because the system would require a multiple computer setup and a wireless connection. I use a similar setup for karaoke (too bad it doesn't transfer well to Rock Band!!) and it works wonderfully!

In the past, I've used one of my wireless karaoke mics for Rock Band, but that involved getting a splitter cable and USB adapter cable. I'm now looking into another solution I found online; basically, it's a multi-input converter box. I'm thinking of setting up a wireless handheld, a wireless headset (for Vox****s), and a modded cowbell.
  • edited April 2009
    Wow, what the h*e*l*l* is going on with all these words bleeped out? I can't even understand the posts anymore, they bleeped our e*a*s*y* and m*e*d*i*um* in one of my posts!

As far as the songbooks, I have four with name of the song, band, year, type of music, band difficulty level and each instruments difficulty level. I re-do the list once a month, and just use a 'recently downloaded songs' list until I re-update the master list.
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    Zoologico;2197834 said:
    Would this be a workable system for our needs:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/1088887234.html
    Looks pretty good. Take an I-pod or something with you to test it before you buy. I don't personally use a sub, just 2 15" and 1 12" 2 way PA speakers. I only paid about $500 total for my sound system w/o cables but the one in the photo seems bigger and better than what I have.
  • GameRansoMGameRansoM Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    YRDaddy;2197867 said:
    Take an I-pod or something with you to test it before you buy.
    My goodness! Gabe, is that you... promoting Apple products now?!? :p
    Yeah, that does look like a pretty good sound system. Might actually be overkill for most places - the mixer, in particular. Heck, even the mixer DotA uses has far more features/inputs than I ever see us using.

And yeah, songbooks. We only have two that are passed around. Also have the front page showing "recently downloaded" songs, which are incorporated into the main lists every two weeks or so.
    edited April 2009
    I tried that webpage to make songlist... The interface is great. I was able to add all I had in less than 30 mins. My problem is the printout.... it doesn't look professionnal at all and I can't see myself using something that puts my name at the top and a webpage address at the bottom. I will have to use Excel to have a decent result I think. Unless someone has found a way to export the list in some kind of text format?

For the mixer, how many sources do you guys think will be needed. I was thining 3. One for the PS3 (and rockband), one for the PA system and 1 for ambiant music while preparing the next song (CD/DVD/Computer).
    edited April 2009
    I've seen a lot of karaoke songbook formats in my day, and I have to disagree. I feel the layout of the web printout is pretty good, to be honest. It's clean, simple, and displays difficulties in a clean format. It's not perfect by any means, but it could definitely be worse.

As far as mixer sources, you really only need about 4. One for the game console, one for background audio, one for a mic for the MC, and one for a modded RB mic. That way, you can mute the in-game vocals (with bad gain issues and delay, plus the horrible-at-loud-volumes-sounding OD "effects"). Ideally, you'll want 2 channels with XLR or 1/4" line inputs, one with RCA inputs (for the game console) and one with stereo 1/4" inputs (to plug in a music source). Cables that adapt from a headphone jack to stereo 1/4" are pretty reasonable.
    edited April 2009
    My major issue with the song book is the top and bottom line on each page. I guess I could just cut it out, but doing it so that all pages are the same size would be difficult.

For the inputs. I was planning on turning all effects off in the extra (or was it options) menu. I don't need to ear stars or overdrive activation. I think doing so would remove the whammy bar effects as well, but that is not a major issue.

I think I will have to give a second look at that booklet and see if I can find a way to like it ;)

Almost forgot ;) For the input, conversion cables or plugs are reasonable in price so it's not much of an issue if the mixer doesn't have the exact formats I need. About the mic I don't know. You think it would be a problem to use the mic that comes with the game? We never had problems with it before... then again we play with the singer from the soundtrack at 100% (did I mention before we don't like to sing?) :)
    If I go with a mic on a separate channel, why can't I use that mic for the DJ? I think I will visit a store specialized in lighting and sound and see what they can offer. I was hoping to get the mixer and mic pretty cheap at a place like Radio Shack or the equivalent called the Source here in Canada.
    edited April 2009
    One solution to your songbook issue might be to create custom header/footer overlays and make copies of the printouts using the overlays to cover whatever you don't like. It might be a minor PITA, but probably the easiest fix.

As far as in-game audio settings: I actually leave the effects on, about a 5 on the scale. It's nice to hear the game noises, and at a low enough level, it's not distracting in my experience. Though, I can totally see your point about muting them.

About the mics I suggested... Sure, you could use the USB mic, but I HATE the way it sounds at a high volume level. There's a very noticeable delay (due to signal processing) that can throw players off. I strongly recommend you have the vocal track muted (or very close) for optimal impact. It's kind of a given based on my background; my performers are used to having to sing without a guide track. Anyway, it's really hard to consistently optimize the sensitivity and volume controls in-game to achieve a good sound, and when the singer activates OD, the "effect" that the game inserts sounds atrocious through a PA.

So, what I do is take a wireless microphone, split the output, connect one end to my mixer, and the other end to an adapter that plugs into the console. From there, I turn the mic sensitivity in-game to about a 3 (your mileage may vary), and vocal and mic volumes to 0. The nice thing is, the game picks up my mic perfectly, and I have all the control in the world over mic gain, level, and a large array of effect options. Granted, you could get away with a single modded mic, but it's cumbersome to keep transferring the mic from host to performer and back. Plus, once alcohol is involved, you don't want some yahoo having sole ability to talk through your PA. I really recommend a dedicated MC mic, preferably wireless so that you aren't tied to your sound gear during the show. It's all about presentation, after all.
  • edited April 2009
    I've seen a lot of karaoke songbook formats in my day, and I have to disagree. I feel the layout of the web printout is pretty good, to be honest. It's clean, simple, and displays difficulties in a clean format. It's not perfect by any means, but it could definitely be worse
    Okay, I've never been to the site you guys are talking about, but I will give you some of my gold. I do my songbook's in Excel, took awhile initially to input all that data (and if someone actually wants to pay me for that data I will be happy to oblige) but once you have your main database, pretty easy to add your new downloads every few weeks. Here's a link to a sample of how my book looks http://www.toddwadefilms.com/rockband/samplesongbook.pdf

I do one list by songs, and then another by band alphabetically.
    edited April 2009
    I also use Excel sheets. I've been keeping a book going since RB1 first came out. I don't go into the whole "difficulty" section though. I always felt that it might turn some people away from doing their favorite song just because the book tells them it is difficult. Besides, no fail is always on and every song is easy on easy difficulty :D ! I seperate songs by Band, Song Title, and Decade (I can't tell ya how many people look straight for the 80's stuff).
  • RavaanaRavaana Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    I do my lists in Open Office, and save it as an excel document. We use three, though. One by Song, Band, and Recent additions. But the thought of adding the instrument difficulties never really occurred to me. Since No fail is on, and people can just get up there to have fun it seemed kind of redundant.

I don't know,

I will add some difficulties in a few lists, just to see what the reactions of the patrons will be. I think it will only make a differance with the regulars, however.