History of Rock Trivia Thread: Classic Rock & the Blues Edition!

timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
edited April 2009 in History of Rock
Here's my trivia fellas (and gals). This covers classic rock and the blues. Have fun.

1.Name the guitarist, and the three bands: This guitarist at the age of 15 was recruited by two bands to play with. He later founded another highly successful band. Bonus: What was the first studio album he played on?

2. Name the Person and Reason: This “king” refused to play at Woodstock because of his known distaste of what? Bonus: What college did this musician attend, where he met one of his fellow bandmembers?

3. Name the rocker and the problem: This rocker, who once wrote about a young boy, one day partially got one of his symptoms. Bonus: What was the name of this man’s onetime failed project?

4. This classic guitarist/singer was classmate’s with this “astronaut”, playing together at a very young age. The guitarist later went on to fame as a teenage heartthrob, but shed the image after a highly successful album featuring three Top 20 hits in the U.S. Name the guitarist and the astronaut. Bonus: Which famous alternative band once tried to steal food from his cooler on a television show?

5. This wild Johnson played the guitar unbelievably, doing thing behind his back and between his legs. Some claimed he played as if he sold his soul to the devil. Bonus: A character similar to him appeared in which Coen Brother film?

6. Name one of Pink Floyd’s original names, which later was partially used by an influential thrash metal band. Bonus: Name the leader of the band that later used that name?

7. The B.B. in B.B. King’s name stands for what, and how did he get the title? Bonus: Around how many performances has he done in his lifetime?

8. This bluesman, the writer of Parchman Farm Blues, became famous by a name that was never his stage name, nickname, or given name, but rather by a record company spelling error. What is his real name, and what first name did he become famous by? Bonus: This band allegedly named after a brand of LSD was one of many who recorded a more famous song written by Mose Allison about the same prison.

9. This song was covered by Eric Clapton before the original artist himself had ever recorded it. Name the song and the “original” artist. Bonus: What song also became more famous by Clapton also written by the same man.

10. This famous bluesman, who was famous for his bass, not guitar work, was imprisoned for ten months for resisting the draft during WWII as a conscientious objector. Bonus: Which band nicked his lyrics on more than one occasion and were later successfully sued for it?

Comments

• hossymossyhossymossy Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Can anyone play? Or did you have to sign up?
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    hossymossy;2153113 said:
    Can anyone play? Or did you have to sign up?
    I'm not sure. Maybe you should pm a21.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited March 2009
    2. Jim Morrison of the Doors, large outdoor venues----Bonus: He went to UCLA, where he met Ray Manzarak
    5. Robert Johnson
    8. Mose Allison... real name I dunno - Bonus: Blue Cheer?

I should know the rest... but I dunt.
    edited March 2009
    schmeankman;2153233 said:
    2. Jim Morrison of the Doors, large outdoor venues----Bonus: He went to UCLA, where he met Ray Manzarak
    5. Robert Johnson
    8. Mose Allison... real name I dunno - Bonus: Blue Cheer?

I should know the rest... but I dunt.
    Come on Schmeank, you can answer more than that! :p
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    4. The guitarist is Peter Frampton, the bonus is Smashing Pumpkins, not sure on the "astronaut"

5. Robert Johnson?

8. The bonus is Blue Cheer, don't know who wrote the song though.

9. "After Midnight" by J.J. Cale, and the bonus is "Cocaine"
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    1. Jimmy Page -forgot the 1st 2 bands, Zeppelin is obviously the 3rd
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. Guitarist: Peter Frampton -"Astronaut": David Bowie -Bonus: Smashing Pumpkins
    5. Robert Johnson - Bonus: O Brother, Where Art Thou
    6. ?
    7. Blues Boy -? Bonus: 10,000? (technically, even 1 would be correct)
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. Willie Dixon -Bonus: Led Zeppelin
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    3. Rocker: Pete Townshend, Problem: Deafness, Bonus: Lifehouse
    5. Robert Johnson
    7. Blues Boy, a shortened form of Beale Street Blues Boy, bonus: over 15,000
    9. "After Midnight" by J.J. Cale, Bonus: "Cocaine"
  • Simyo3in1Simyo3in1 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    1. Neil Schon, Santana, Eric Claptons' Derek and the dominos, journey
    2. the doors, jim morrison's doesn't like large outdoor venues.
    6. Megadeath, dave mustaine
    9. I shot the sheriff, bob marley
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    3: That's Pete Townshend. He is partially deaf from all the loud music. And his failed project was Lifehouse
    5: Robert Johnson. You know they say he wrote Crossroads about meeting the devil to sell his soul to get his guitar skills.....:eek:
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    2. Jim Morrison, didn't like big venues (?)
    3. Pete Townshend
    5. Robert Johnson
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    i actually only know five of these... good job, sir.
    edited March 2009
    Don't be alarmed, I have edited the OP, everything was purely grammatical errors (punctuation, incorrect use of were/where)
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Nice questions I won't answer any (don't wanna give away any answers ;)) very good blues choices
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2166608 said:
    Nice questions I won't answer any (don't wanna give away any answers ;)) very good blues choices
    Go ahead and answer. Only a few days left.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited March 2009
    2. Jim Morrison, he met Mezneric at UCLA.
    3. Pete Townshend. I belive he became deaf from Keith Moon exploding his drums.(i think)
    10. Willie Dixon.and the bonous is Led Zeppelin.

Thats all i know
    edited April 2009
    Answer time! Will be calculating peoples points in a moment.
    1.Name the ******ist, and the three bands: This ******ist at the age of 15 was recruited by two bands to play with. He later founded another highly successful band. Bonus: What was the first studio album he played on?

2. Name the Person and Reason: This “king” refused to play at Woodstock because of his known distaste of what? Bonus: What college did this musician attend, where he met one of his fellow bandmembers?

3. Name the rocker and the problem: This rocker, who once wrote about a young boy, one day partially got one of his symptoms. Bonus: What was the name of this man’s onetime failed project?

4. This classic ******ist/singer was classmate’s with this “astronaut”, playing together at a very young age. The ******ist later went on to fame as a teenage heartthrob, but shed the image after a highly successful album featuring three Top 20 hits in the U.S. Name the ******ist and the astronaut. Bonus: Which famous alternative band once tried to steal food from his cooler on a television show?

5. This wild Johnson played the ****** unbelievably, doing thing behind his back and between his legs. Some claimed he played as if he sold his soul to the devil. Bonus: A character similar to him appeared in which Coen Brother film?

6. Name one of Pink Floyd’s original names, which later was partially used by an influential thrash metal band. Bonus: Name the leader of the band that later used that name?

7. The B.B. in B.B. King’s name stands for what, and how did he get the title? Bonus: Around how many performances has he done in his lifetime?

8. This bluesman, the writer of Parchman Farm Blues, became famous by a name that was never his stage name, nickname, or given name, but rather by a record company spelling error. What is his real name, and what first name did he become famous by? Bonus: This band allegedly named after a brand of LSD was one of many who recorded a more famous song written by Mose Allison about the same prison.

9. This song was covered by Eric Clapton before the original artist himself had ever recorded it. Name the song and the “original” artist. Bonus: What song also became more famous by Clapton also written by the same man.

10. This famous bluesman, who was famous for his ****, not ****** work, was imprisoned for ten months for resisting the draft during WWII as a conscientious objector. Bonus: Which band nicked his lyrics on more than one occasion and were later successfully sued for it?
    1. Neal Schon, Santana, Derek & the Dominos, Journey. Bonus: Santana III.
    2. Jim Morrison, he highly disliked performing in large outdoor venues. Bonus: UCLA.
    3. Pete Townshend, who went partially deaf. Bonus: Lifehouse.
    4. Peter Frampton and David Bowie. Bonus: Sonic Youth
    5. Tommy Johnson. Bonus: O Brother Where Art Thou.
    6. Megadeaths or Meggadeaths. Bonus: Dave Mustaine
    7. Blues Boy, he got it while working as a disc jockey at a radio station in Memphis. Bonus: 15,000
    8. Booker White, Bukka. Bonus: Blue Cheer
    9. “After Midnight”, J.J. Cale. Bonus: Cocaine
    10. Willie Dixon. Bonus: Led Zeppelin
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Are youing going to make another one??
    edited April 2009
    Bonuses count as one point, and each part of an answer is one point.

Scores
    clashcityrocker: 8
    CycoMiko138:7
    Simyo3in1:7
    classicrockdude: 6
    MronoC: 6
    Schmeankman: 4
    ClassicRockFanatic23: 3
    Darkside247: 3
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited April 2009
    Dammit, I forgot to join this game. I could've at least gotten some points.