Piano Rock band

RockinAngelsRockinAngels Unsigned
edited April 2009 in Rock Band
I just think it would be cool if rock band came out with a key board, and called it Piano Rock band. I love rock songs but I also love dance music and piano songs. I mean why not there is drums, bass, guitar, mic, so why not a piano? Don't you think that would be fun? I do.

Comments

  • crazyinsatiable1crazyinsatiable1 Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I want a synthesizer ;)
  • ryanco64ryanco64 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'm still waiting for that mystery instrument that will come out for the 2nd jack on the RB2 drums. XD
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    If they release a keyboard controller, then they *have* to release the radio edit of "Nowhere Girl" by B-Movie to go with it.
  • cdrwizkidcdrwizkid Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    That would be cool, but wouldn't it really just be a guitar without having to strum?

    I guess they could always have the foot pedal added and it would essentially be a hybrid of guitar and drums.....
  • BlackwaterParkBlackwaterPark Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I've always thought it would be cool-- there could be five buttons for each hand, and for easy and medium difficulty you'd never have to play with both hands at the same time, and for hard and expert you'd get a different note chart for each hand.
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    i think it would be pretty cool for the less than 5% of songs that utilize the keyboard....
  • Rock_Band_OverRock_Band_Over Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I think/hope someone will do this eventually... since there really seems to be a market for it.

    Unlike some of the other instruments, this would probably be so similar to actually playing the real notes on a keyboard/synthesizer that hopefully they'll design it such that you can plug in pretty much any keyboard and use it that way.

    Why would you need the game, then? Because it still provides a cool interface for the musical score and hopefully would provide better quality audio tracks of the other instruments than the MIDI ones that you typically are forced to play along with.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2009
    ryanco64;2178985 said:
    I'm still waiting for that mystery instrument that will come out for the 2nd jack on the RB2 drums. XD
    E-Cowbell, you heard it here first! ;)
    cdrwizkid;2179015 said:
    That would be cool, but wouldn't it really just be a guitar without having to strum?
    Really? Is that honestly what you think playing a piano/keyboard is like?
  • aremisaremis Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    davidshek;2179730 said:
    Is that honestly what you think playing a piano/keyboard is like?
    Although playing a piano is much more than just being a guitar without strumming, in real life - There isn't too much they could really do with a game controller. Five lanes of buttons to press on a flat controller, and a foot pedal really is all it could be. Unless you can imagine something more? It would be cool if the ability was there, with so many great songs from Billy Joel, Elton John, Joshua Kadison to name but 3 - But I just don't see how they could make a controller with any difficulty level to learn.
  • sh4d0wscr34msh4d0wscr34m Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Do people not realize that to have the keyboard not just be like playing a guitar solo with the solo buttons (you don't strum at all, except now the entire song), they would have to pretty much have a full keyboard? Not only would this making it nearly entirely impossible to be good at the instrument without learning to play actual piano, but it would make it impossible to have multiplayer, and maybe even single player, because of how small the notes would be and how much room the piano fretboard would take up. Piano in a game is just ****ing ******ed. Just learn to play piano in real life if you would be willing to put time into RB piano. Much more useful, considering that unlike RB guitar, bass, and drums, the piano would be the same thing.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2009
    aremis;2179773 said:
    Although playing a piano is much more than just being a guitar without strumming, in real life - There isn't too much they could really do with a game controller. Five lanes of buttons to press on a flat controller, and a foot pedal really is all it could be. Unless you can imagine something more? It would be cool if the ability was there, with so many great songs from Billy Joel, Elton John, Joshua Kadison to name but 3 - But I just don't see how they could make a controller with any difficulty level to learn.
    Well, it would have to be more than 5 lanes. I would imagine they would have either 8 or 10. 4 (or 5) for each hand plus sustain pedal.

    Playing piano with one hand is easy. It's playing different things with both hands that gets difficult. :)
  • idlephaseidlephase Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    aremis;2179773 said:
    Although playing a piano is much more than just being a guitar without strumming, in real life - There isn't too much they could really do with a game controller. Five lanes of buttons to press on a flat controller, and a foot pedal really is all it could be. Unless you can imagine something more? It would be cool if the ability was there, with so many great songs from Billy Joel, Elton John, Joshua Kadison to name but 3 - But I just don't see how they could make a controller with any difficulty level to learn.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYzpyVQgjEI

    Topics like this make me wonder why Konami didn't have a little more faith in the American music game market.
  • aremisaremis Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    idlephase;2179872 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYzpyVQgjEI

    Topics like this make me wonder why Konami didn't have a little more faith in the American music game market.
    That looks great - but they wouldn't implement something completely new, like the chart on that screen - Wouldn't make sense...Unless of course we are talking a complete new game about JUST piano.
    I am comparing with the current RB game - Implementing it into RB3, 4,12, whatever. The stage would have to be the same for the notes as the rest of the instruments, hence the reason I stated max would be 5 lanes (5 buttons) and a foot pedal.

    But that game looked quite interesting - sucks that they didn't show the controller with it.
  • aremisaremis Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    davidshek;2179862 said:
    Well, it would have to be more than 5 lanes. I would imagine they would have either 8 or 10. 4 (or 5) for each hand plus sustain pedal.

    Playing piano with one hand is easy. It's playing different things with both hands that gets difficult. :)
    Actually, I guess they could always do two independent lanes maybe? of the same five buttons? I don't know lol - I do play piano, and understand how big it would be, but I just can picture a controller in my minds eye.
  • idlephaseidlephase Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    aremis;2179962 said:
    That looks great - but they wouldn't implement something completely new, like the chart on that screen - Wouldn't make sense...Unless of course we are talking a complete new game about JUST piano.
    I am comparing with the current RB game - Implementing it into RB3, 4,12, whatever. The stage would have to be the same for the notes as the rest of the instruments, hence the reason I stated max would be 5 lanes (5 buttons) and a foot pedal.

    But that game looked quite interesting - sucks that they didn't show the controller with it.
    The arcade version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4MWk_B2cY

    For 5 keys, it would probably look a lot like Beatmania: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxSCC0eG4Z8
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Part of the fun with RB is it takes an instrument that takes a long time to learn and breaks it into simpler elements. (Example, a multiple fretted guitar is simplified into 5 buttons)

    But I've yet to see a suggestion on how to "Rock Bandify" a keyboard without either flat out being a keyboard or just being 5-6 button board at which point it's just a guitar on your lap.

    EDIT: I missed the response above me....
    idlephase;2180009 said:
    The arcade version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4MWk_B2cY

    For 5 keys, it would probably look a lot like Beatmania: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxSCC0eG4Z8
    These would be what I'm talking about. It's either a full on keyboard (at which point it's less about simulation and more just playing a keyboard) or it'd be a 5-key periph and might as well just be charted so you can play it with the guitar controller. (Hence turning it into a keytar)
  • poppasquatpoppasquat Unsigned
    edited March 2009
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    davidshek;2179862 said:
    Playing piano with one hand is easy. It's playing different things with both hands that gets difficult. :)
    Here's what you do.

    1) Release a keyboard with 10 keys: colored GRYBOOBYRG.
    2) Release a "Keyboard Hero" type game that features a chart with a 10 key lane seperated into 2 columns (supposedly one for each hand)
    3) Make the new Keyboard periph compatible with RB...and allow the user to set one hand to be the Guitar and the other to leftyflipped Bass.
    4) Watch as somebody plays both Bass and Guitar at the same time with the keyboard peripheral.

    ....Oh my god, I want to mod this now using two guitar controllers.
  • ryanco64ryanco64 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    T-Hybrid;2180187 said:
    Here's what you do.

    1) Release a keyboard with 10 keys: colored GRYBOOBYRG.
    2) Release a "Keyboard Hero" type game that features a chart with a 10 key lane seperated into 2 columns (supposedly one for each hand)
    3) Make the new Keyboard periph compatible with RB...and allow the user to set one hand to be the Guitar and the other to leftyflipped Bass.
    4) Watch as somebody plays both Bass and Guitar at the same time with the keyboard peripheral.

    ....Oh my god, I want to mod this now using two guitar controllers.
    Osnap. Activision's looking this way!
  • aremisaremis Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    T-Hybrid;2180187 said:
    Here's what you do.

    1) Release a keyboard with 10 keys: colored GRYBOOBYRG.
    2) Release a "Keyboard Hero" type game that features a chart with a 10 key lane seperated into 2 columns (supposedly one for each hand)
    3) Make the new Keyboard periph compatible with RB...and allow the user to set one hand to be the Guitar and the other to leftyflipped Bass.
    4) Watch as somebody plays both Bass and Guitar at the same time with the keyboard peripheral.

    ....Oh my god, I want to mod this now using two guitar controllers.
    Cool concept - but you forgot - RB requires strumming.
    Unless they were to release a song that had nothing but HOPO's and required no strumming of any kind.

    Still a cool concept none the less
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    aremis;2180454 said:
    Cool concept - but you forgot - RB requires strumming.
    I remember reading about a third party guitar that was compatible with both the solo buttons and touch pad depending on if the thing was set for RB or GH. An unusual side effect was that if you had it set to GH while playing RB, you'd be able to tap the whole song.

    If that's the case, two of those with the correct settings would work.
  • action9000action9000 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Cool concept - but you forgot - RB requires strumming.
    With enough tinkering, the key could probably be modified to hold down the colour and strum immediately after, but I can only imagine how ugly this would get, with my limited background of electronics.
  • roflmao113roflmao113 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    A synthesizer might work. I don't see a piano working though.
  • AccaDaccaAccaDacca Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    aggiesrul8;2179137 said:
    i think it would be pretty cool for the less than 1% of songs that utilize the keyboard....
    fixed
  • naeandpetenaeandpete Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'd take some Rock Band: Piano. Then we might get some Billy Joel, Elton John or Ben Folds.
  • RockinAngelsRockinAngels Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ2pHdZNlqc&feature=related

    Kind of like this..It can be done. And yea the strumming would have to be taken out. Just use the peddle for the strumming actions, if they kept the strumming in.
    I guess it would have to be figured out by the people who make this game but I am sure it could be done, if they wanted to make a keyboard.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    It needs to be a replica of a Hammond organ with a Leslie Speaker.
Sign In or Register to comment.