Tom Waits DLC

FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
edited May 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Tom Waits is an artist of many genres from blues to experimental and a great song writer as well :D and while his voice is good on some songs bad on others his songs would be very fun on Rock Band (maybe not as much on vocals)

If I had to choose an album I would go with Rain Dogs

He has some great songs I would love to see some of his songs in RB

Post your suggestions/requests :D

Comments

• TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Rain Dogs is a pretty good album, I doubt I would buy it all but I would love to get my hands on a few tracks.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Transbrak;2201993 said:
    Rain Dogs is a pretty good album, I doubt I would buy it all but I would love to get my hands on a few tracks.
    I would get the album, but mute the cigarette heavy vocals songs (you know which songs I mean), but regardless it is still one of my favorite Waits album
  • CircaKnivesCircaKnives Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    The one true Tom Waits album is and always will be, Mule Variations. That comes before all others.

However, I think complete albums from Mr. Waits won't work as well as individual songs. Take songs like "Ol' 55", "Goin' Out West", and "Day After Tomorrow". Then again, if we had Rain Dogs or Mule Variations we could get "Singapore", "Time", "Big In Japan", and "Hold On".
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    I was thinking "Hold On" would actually be one of the few Tom Waits songs that could translate well to the game. I'd luh-huv to have The Eagles' version of "Ol' 55," but it would doubtless be a snoozefest for everyone but the vocalist. "Downtown Train" and "Goin' Out West" also might work.
  • RedBaron45RedBaron45 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    This would be overkill on vocal difficulty.
  • 75thDeadMan75thDeadMan Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I'd love to see all of Bone Machine. What a fantastic album. "Goin' Out West" is an absolute must. Maybe a best of?
  • NoHero85NoHero85 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I would put Heartattack and Vine, its got all the parts and its one of his rockier numbers. Waits on Rock Band would just be awesome, they could put him in a pack with the Flaming Lips and it would be all kinds of wonderull weird.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    Downtown Train pl0x.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Tom Waits is required and Rain Dogs would be amazing DLC.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Tom Waits is a great idea. The album Real Gone could be an interesting choice, some of the musicians include Les Claypool, Marc Ribot, and Brain.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    MY HEAD'S IS A-SPINNING ROUND
    MY HEART IS IN MY SHOES YEAH

This is one of the greatest threads ever in this forum. Tom Waits might be the best musician ever lived, I'm not kidding, his stuff are the very definition of awesomeness. He got so many amazing albums. He's just a god among musicians.

Rain Dogs would be a good start of course, but some songs kind of lack guitars, like Tango Till They're Sore, Cemetery Polka and Anywhere I Lay My Head. I'd get them anyway of course, just to sing those glorious songs.

Sadly Waits doesn't seem to be into these kind of things... he admitted he "doesn't know how to turn the internet on"... here's what he says about it:

TW: "I don't know about the Internet. I'm not on that. I'm way behind. I have a rotary phone. Progress is compulsive and obsessive, I guess. I get the feeling that people aren't leaving their homes. They are sitting in front of their computer desks and everything comes to them from their screens. That's what the whole nation really wants, but anything that is that popular or easily accessible is usually not good for you. It's like tap water is not good for you; it's recycled p*ss and chemicals, that's all. There is a reason that a bottle of water costs more than a gallon of gas. And what's the biggest enemy of computers? Water. And the computers are trying to eliminate all the water. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess we're in the middle of a revolution and nobody knows where the rocks are going to fall."
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Tom Waits is pretty against using his music outside their original outlets, too.

But heyyy... how about some Nick Cave, Harmonix? :D
    edited August 2009
    wcarnation;2943101 said:

But heyyy... how about some Nick Cave, Harmonix? :D
    We should make a thread about him. Listening to "Lay Me Low" now, would be a blast to sing, so powerful... and of course stuff like "Stagger Lee" (if it can get past the sensors) "Papa Won't Leave You Henry" etc... I really like "As I Sat Sadly By Her Side" too
    edited November 2009
    Perfect Waits RB song = Hoist That Rag. Such a brilliant solo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xdMEm9i66g

Here's a nice 6-pack we need:
    Hoist That Rag
    Jockey Full of Bourbon
    Rain Dogs
    Downtown Train
    Big In Japan
    Going Out West
  • Shillelagh LawShillelagh Law Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'd happily buy tracks from Tom Waits or Nick Cave. Day one purchases.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited November 2009
    I agree with everyone that Rain Dogs would be awesome for full album DLC, but I would buy any and all Tom Waits songs that are released.
    edited April 2010
    LegendofRock3021;3276890 said:
    I agree with everyone that Rain Dogs would be awesome for full album DLC, but I would buy any and all Tom Waits songs that are released.
    I love Rain Dogs but not sure about it... 19 tracks, man! That's a lot of money, and not all of them are needed/playable. And worse, going with the full album road leaves a lot of awesome tunes out, including my first choice for RB, Hoist that Rag.

Of course, that's all hypothetical... sadly we're unlikely to ever see Tom Waits DLC.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited April 2010
    yaniv297;3609725 said:
    I love Rain Dogs but not sure about it... 19 tracks, man! That's a lot of money, and not all of them are needed/playable. And worse, going with the full album road leaves a lot of awesome tunes out, including my first choice for RB, Hoist that Rag.

Of course, that's all hypothetical... sadly we're unlikely to ever see Tom Waits DLC.
    Yeah, a best-of pack is probably the better way to go for some Tom Waits DLC, but even though I agree it's a long shot, I'll still request a bunch of his songs.
    edited April 2010
    LegendofRock3021;3609743 said:
    Yeah, a best-of pack is probably the better way to go for some Tom Waits DLC, but even though I agree it's a long shot, I'll still request a bunch of his songs.
    Yeah... here's some TW songs that might work as dlc (sadly not much early tunes... maybe New Coat of Paint or Romeo Is Bleeding could work):
    Heartattack & Vine
    Till The Money Runs Out
    16 Shells
    Jockey Full of Bourbon
    Big Black Mariah
    Rain Dogs
    Downtown Train
    Walking Spanish
    Hang On St. Christopher
    Goin' Out West
    Big In Japan
    Cold Water
    God's Away on Business
    Hoist That Rag
    Make It Rain
    Lie To Me
    Lucinda/Ain't Going Down (Live from Glitter and Doom)
    Such a Scream (Live from Glitter and Doom)
  • acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I'd just like to add to this request, if anyone hasn't heard him before, have a listen, I hadn't heard of him before summer, now I really, really like his work

Jockey Full of Bourbon
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    CircaKnives;2202185 said:
    The one true Tom Waits album is and always will be, Mule Variations. That comes before all others.
    QFT. This is an album I would recommend to anyone, regardless of what kind of music they normally listen to. It's a beautiful record.
  • CliffmanCliffman Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    Personally, I'm a fan of Blue Valentines. It's got a great mix of themes and styles that showcase his talent.