Question about death metal...

JudasHendrixJudasHendrix Unsigned
edited July 2007 in History of Rock
I could never, ever, ever understand the appeal behind it.

So I'm asking you, fellow rockophiles... what's the deal? Why do you like it?

I feel like an ancient old coot admitting this, but the Cookie Monster lyrical style makes me want to weep, and the lyrics themselves? I mean... the last death metal song I heard was something by Slipknot, and went something like "I want to slit your throat and f--k the wound".

What the hell?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling anyone out here or trying to belittle your favorite genre. But just explain it to me... because I don't understand.

Comments

• MadassAlexMadassAlex Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    JudasHendrix;12537 said:
    I could never, ever, ever understand the appeal behind it.
    I remember thinking like this. No-one starts off liking death metal.
    JudasHendrix;12537 said:
    So I'm asking you, fellow rockophiles... what's the deal? Why do you like it?
    Many reasons, some of which I'll summarise

- It is highly technical, and thus fun to play.
    - The music is confrontational in theme and the way dissonance is used. It gives it a truly unique sound that is fresh to the ears.
    - It is strongly linked to progressive music.
    - The solos are rippin'.
    - Death metal in itself varies and contains a lot of different sounds and stylings
    - Established death metal musicians are almost always masters of their instruments
    - The solos are rippin'.
    JudasHendrix;12537 said:
    I feel like an ancient old coot admitting this, but the Cookie Monster lyrical style makes me want to weep, and the lyrics themselves? I mean... the last death metal song I heard was something by Slipknot, and went something like "I want to slit your throat and f--k the wound".
    First point about that is the fact that Slipknot are not death metal. They're part of the ambiguous "nu-metal" genre - lumped in with Disturbed, Rage Against The Machine and Korn. What a mix!
    Second point about this is the fact that some death metal bands are just out there to shock people, like Cannibal Corpse. The use lyrics like that just to get at you... but there are many death metal bands such as (mid to later) Death that use great and beautiful lyrics buried under the growling vocals. Kind of like digging for a bone, except when you get used to death metal you're digging through candy.

There's also the tendency for other music to be easier to take apart and understand on many levels once you've gotten used to death metal. Everything else seems a lot more simple and lighter.
    JudasHendrix;12537 said:
    What the hell?
    Don't let this guy near 4 chan. :p
    JudasHendrix;12537 said:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling anyone out here or trying to belittle your favorite genre. But just explain it to me... because I don't understand.
    I didn't understand either, but I began listening to it bit by bit until I got used to it and could appreciate the beauty of it.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    lol... slipknot death metal... thats all i have to say.
  • SmPriNiSmPriNi Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Slipkpop is not Death Metal, it's NU Metal.
    What brought me to listening to Death Metal was the solos and the drums.
    The drums are always fun to listen to because the double bass is rediculosly (did I spell it right?) fast. Before I listened to Death Metal I listened a lot to Pantera. Dimebag knew how to play the guitar, but I wanted something that just was fast, like Trey Azagthoth.
    That's kinda why I started to listen to it. : D
  • MystophalesMystophales Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Here are a few death metal bands to check out that may change your mind...

Amon Amarth-With Oden on our Side
    Monstrosity-Rise to Power
    Obituary-Back from the Dead
    Unleashed-Midvinterblot

Also if you are having trouble geting into Death Metal you may consider trying Melodic Death Metal first. It is exactly as the name implies...Death Metal with a lot of melody.
    Best bands in this genre are...

Dark Tranquility
    In Flames (their first couple of albums)
    Darkane

You might also want to check out either Opeth or Children of Bodom. Opeth has very technical (and very long) songs with incredible guitar playing and vocals that switch back and forth between clean and death metal growls. Children of Bodom is not a death metal band per se but they do have very harsh vocals but incredible musicinaship between guitarist Aleci Laiho and keyboardist Janne Warmen.

Any of these bands you should be able to find clips of on You Tube.

Although Death Metal is not my favorite genre it is certainly good when in the mood.
  • JudasHendrixJudasHendrix Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;12612 said:
    lol... slipknot death metal... thats all i have to say.
    By reading my post, you should understand I don't know the first thing about death metal.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    european death metal FTW. Norther, Opeth, and Suidakra(sorta death power metal) are my top picks.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
  • FrankenlifeFrankenlife Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Death Metal has it's own energy that you can't really get in other forms of music. It is raw, and powerful. It is also one of the most difficult types of music to play.

These bands aren't death metal, but you may be able to gain more understanding of the music by listening to them. Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. Also look into Slayer and Deicide, which are death metal.
  • SmPriNiSmPriNi Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Frankenlife;13655 said:
    Death Metal has it's own energy that you can't really get in other forms of music. It is raw, and powerful. It is also one of the most difficult types of music to play.

These bands aren't death metal, but you may be able to gain more understanding of the music by listening to them. Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. Also look into Slayer and Deicide, which are death metal.
    SLAYER is Thrash, but they gave the foreground for Death Metal.
  • StartSomethingStartSomething Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Did he seriously just call Slipknot death metal? T_T
    If you really want to learn about death metal go here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal
  • YeknomYeknom Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    I think MadassAlex pretty much got everything down. (True) Death Metal is just an extremely technical genre, and what he said about them being masters of their instruments is exactly true (e.g. Krisiun, Severed Savior, Gorguts). Also, it requires a lot of stamina to play a majority of the stuff out there.
  • KutsicKutsic Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Opeth
    In Flames
    Cryptopsy
    Dark Tranquillity
    Behemoth
    Nile
    Amon Amarth
    At the Gates
    Death
    Cannibal Corpse

They pretty much say it all for me. If you don't understand the appeal of at least one of them, you aren't going to understand death metal. Death metal features some of the most technically proficient musicians to ever live, some amazing lyrics (as in, the one's that don't sing about gorging pig guts...that's not exactly impressive lyricism), a very diverse vocal style (High pitched growls that have more in common with black metal, deep gutural growling, aka cookie monster vocals, and even clean singing), and some pretty unique song structures.