Are YOU Reeling in the Years? A Steely Dan DLC Thread!

White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
edited January 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Yes, it is DEFINITELY time. A goofy arcade game with exploding notes and lightning strikes is no fitting place for the greatness of Steely Dan! We NEED our own pack!

I was going to try to come up with a 3 pack, until I realized the futility! So here are a bunch of good candidates ranked by how much they NEED to be in Rock Band (with #1 as most needed and so on):

1. Reeling in the Years: THE #1 "must have" from Steely Dan. A bit overplayed? A cliche choice? So What! It rocks, and would be a BLAST on every instrument as well as fun to sing. And BTW, listen to it in full and tell me it isn't a powerful, moving song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyaYXwoXpeM

2. Deacon Blues: So smooth, so moving, and shades of "Tangled up in Blue" by Dylan in its narrative structure. A great "slower" song that would be freaking EPIC on vocals, if somewhat slower on guitar and drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inz9Sa_CVFs

3. Do it Again: another "must have" iconic Steely Dan song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_YIUn9Jd1g

4. My Old School: I love all 4 parts: this one is a must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8OU-7JDFA

5. Kid Charlamagne: Another slower song but more drums than Deacon Blues. A great choice and a little "deeper" into SD than some of the other Greatest Hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23Z-_ki_Dc

6. Black Friday: Another up-tempo song that would make a great RB addition. A little TOO timely perhaps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVQKiqCZ9No

7. Hey Nineteen: A fun song that would make a good "surprise" choice for a SD pack. All I could find was this live version (these guys are old now but still good!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfwtX2kgOA&feature=related

8. Peg: What I like about this song is the peppy, sort of jazzy tempo. I like the song (bad Steely Dan does not exist) but I can't say it would be among my top choices for RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhRnBSGPjA

There are so many others.... FM and Babylon Sisters get honorable mention, but since we are likely to get a 3 pack (if anything) my three pack would be:

Reeling in the Years
My Old School
Deacon Blues

so hard to make any cuts.... Thoughts?

Comments

• vulcanjedi42vulcanjedi42 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    We definitely need more Steely Dan. Excellent choices here (though, as you said, there are no bad Steely Dan songs.) I would add maybe Josie and Rikki Don't Lose That Number. Rikki is maybe a bit too piano driven for Rock Band, but it's such a great song, it's at least worth mentioning.

My dream three pack would have to be Reelin in the Years, Kid Charlemagne, and either Hey Nineteen or Peg.
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    FM would be a great one as well... there are just so many good songs from this band.....
    edited April 2009
    so I wonder if HMX will go a different direction than GH in choosing which SD songs to include as DLC.....

I was surprised at GH's choices, not that they were bad, but that "Reeling in the Years" was left off. IMO, it will likely appear in GH5 this fall.

This is why I like variety weeks better than mostly one artist or album weeks: the more different artists, the more chance for SD!

There is ONE caveat: a SD or Styx 6 pack week.... :)
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Reelin' In The Years is a must have. I definitely wouldn't mind some more Steely Dan
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    A lot of great songs mentioned that would be a definite buy for me. "Don't Take Me Alive" is one of my favorites.
  • DemeniseDemenise Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Great thread here. Rikki, Reelin In the Years, Do It Again, Hey Nineteen, and sadly left out, Dirty Work.

Oh yeah. We need Steely Dan.
  • committed herocommitted hero Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    I would go with Midnight Cruiser, Peg and Time out of Mind. The latter just beats out my runner's up (Haitian Divorce, Reelin' in the Years, and Chain Lightning) primarily because it features Mark Knopfler.
  • LBK34LBK34 Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    I would love everything mentioned so far,I'm just not sure they would give us reelin in the years. I've seen them live twice and they didn't play it either time:( but here's hoping they do cause it's a great song!!
  • RedBaron45RedBaron45 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    I believe GH:WT gets a Steely Dan pack with Bodhissattva, Black Friday, and Kid Charlemange.

I'd much rather have that than Chinese Democracy.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    RedBaron45;2243381 said:
    I believe GH:WT gets a Steely Dan pack with Bodhissattva, Black Friday, and Kid Charlemange.

I'd much rather have that than Chinese Democracy.
    Personally, so would I.
  • PsychoYoshiPsychoYoshi Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    If it was a three-pack, I'd take Peg, Reelin' in the Years, and Bad Sneakers (yes, I realize BS won't be a very exciting chart outside of vocals).

Though these songs would be even better if they had the RB: Beatles engine so that we could get backup vocals.

And call me a savage, but I've never been a fan of Hey Nineteen.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    Well, check off two of the songs in the OP!

Not sure what if I'm getting them, but it's good to see some more Steely Dan
  • LazafahLazafah Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    Must... have... Reelin' in the Years...

Must... have...

Do It Again would be cool too :D
  • JRock201 JRock201 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    How does GH have Kid Charlemange and RB does not....... wow. The SD on RB is swesome, but KC is the crown jewel.
    edited August 2009
    Jrock,

I know.... Kid Charlamagne seems like the "Rock Band choice" and not the GH choice..... Either way, I love Steely Dan so any DLC from them is good with me.

All this Steely Dan in both games but neither has "Reeling in the Years..." That is really odd...
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited October 2009
    I am showing my support for more Steely Dan, especially Kid Charlemagne! It was so horribly charted on GH for drums, we need this song! Plus I would LOVE anything off of Aja.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    we need LOTS MORE steely dan
    kid charlemagne
    reeling in the years
    do it again
    show biz kid
    pretzel logic
    daddy dont live in new york city no more
    haitian divorce
    the fez
    the royal scam
    and many more...

also i only named songs from the first 5 albums :D
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    solidsnakejt;3143897 said:
    we need LOTS MORE steely dan
    kid charlemagne
    reeling in the years
    do it again
    show biz kid
    pretzel logic
    daddy dont live in new york city no more
    haitian divorce
    the fez
    the royal scam
    and many more...

also i only named songs from the first 5 albums :D
    Amen, bruddah!

I'd also like to see some Donald Fagen solo, like "New Frontier" and "IGY" and "Snowbound."
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    cherokeesam;3143935 said:
    Amen, bruddah!

I'd also like to see some Donald Fagen solo, like "New Frontier" and "IGY" and "Snowbound."
    didnt know he made a solo carreer, those songs are great.
    i love that he kept the same style as with Steely Dan.
    edited November 2009
    Showing my support (I dont recall if I have in this thread)

Definitely want Kid Charlemagne, Do it Again and ANYTHING from Aja.
  • xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Kid Charlemagne, Do It Again, and Reelin' in the Years would be my choices.
  • DroolCoveredMomDroolCoveredMom Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Definitely Do it Again and Reelin' in the Years:D
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited November 2009
    I love the songs we have so far and would like to see more, especially "Reelin' in the Years".
  • roarvisroarvis Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I think I chimed in on another SD thread, but here's my updated picks:

Do It Again
    Midnight Cruiser
    Boston Rag
    King of the World
    Rikki
    Pretzel Logic
    Doctor Wu
    Kid Charlemagne
    Josie
    Babylon Sisters
    edited May 2010
    Green Earrings
    Josie
    Peg
    Do It Again
    Kid Charlemagne
    edited June 2010
    I have a feeling Reelin' might be in the game. Harmonies and Keyboard, yo! I want to be Donald Fagen for once in my life.
  • D_Marc2005D_Marc2005 Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Alvarado6411;3786525 said:
    I have a feeling Reelin' might be in the game. Harmonies and Keyboard, yo! I want to be Donald Fagen for once in my life.
    It would be nice, but I read an article a while back that said they hate the song. Here's to hoping they cave and realize the fans really want to play it.
  • MrMet2087MrMet2087 Road Warrior
    edited February 2011
    I really want "Do It Again" which was in GH:WT over 2 years ago. The song choices they made for the 2 DLC songs they put up were really bad choices seeing as Steely Dan has so many other hits.
    edited August 2011
    We NEED Steely Dan now with Keys!

Also HARMONIES!!

Reelin' In The Years
    Do It Again
    Peg
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited August 2011
    Yes more of this