LEGO® Rock Band® - Rumors and Facts

SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Nov 3 - Added link to the now live export site - 1.2GB

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/17/lego-rock-band-debut-gameplay-trailer/

Box art:image

Please note: This game is NOT being developed by Harmonix. The publisher is: Warner Bros. Interactive with development by TT Games. Rock Band: Unplugged, Beatles, 1 and 2 have all been published by MTV Games and Developed by Harmonix. Harmonix is working with TT Games and it seems Harmonix is charting the songs.

US Release Nov 3 according to Amazon.com.
UK release Nov 27th
Price is $49.99
$59.99 if you want to export to RB2

HMXSean said: First of all - when I found out this was a real thing even I was a little suspicious. I care about this company a lot and derive a lot of pleasure from promoting our image and games to the world, so generally I am constructively suspicious of everything. I'm just made that way… Then I actually saw some of the test footage and was blown away. Seriously HMXSean’s Post

The unique family-friendly music experience is currently in development by TT Games in partnership with Harmonix, and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game, which will allow families, tweens and teens to experience a wild journey to rock stardom where they can “Build a Band and Rock the Universe,” Players will become rockers as they embark on a journey to stardom that the whole family can enjoy as they work their way through local venues, stadiums and fantasy locations on Earth and beyond that mimic the imaginative settings that the LEGO world offers. Also continuing the LEGO “build-and-play” gaming experience, players will be able to create their own LEGO Rock Band style as they customize their minifigure avatars, band and entourage, including roadies, managers and crew. Official Press Release

Systems:
Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, and Nintendo DS. Just like The Beatles: Rock Band, no mention of a PS2 version. Official Press Release

Game Play:

Game Play Vids here

Something else that is notably sexy is the band name creator. I can't tell you how much time I've spent sitting around trying to come up with something clever. With each new release of Rock Band titles comes a new band name and my brain can't handle that. The band name creator saves time and creativity making me a huge fan.GamePro

NO online play... Because online play is not rated by ERSB and TTGames wanted this to remain a "family safe" game, online play was removed.

Since LEGO Rock Band was made after development on The Beatles: Rock Band had begun, it doesn’t include the user interface tweaks and improvements that showed up in Beatles. There’s no unpause countdown, no indication of a part’s difficulty on the instrument select screen

LEGO Rock Band Achievements
Notable ones: Achieve 100% Stud Recovery, Unlock the Teleporter, Complete Wreck and Roll challenge, 100% Guitar Solo on Final Countdown

Players who miss one too many notes won't fail out but instead lose all the studs (or points), the in-game currency, that they have earned in the song so far. But to be gentle, they can recover up to all of their lost studs if they hit the notes in the recovery phrases that follow.

In addition to Super Easy mode where players only have to strum the notes at the right time (you can hold down any button), the option to automate the kick pedal for the drums has been added not just for kids with short legs, but for those with leg disabilities.

There's even a toggle for the short "radio edit" version of a track so that your hyperactive fourth-grader doesn't get bored by the sixth chorus of some song by The Police.

During some cutscenes, Lego characters engage in not so civil behavior: a hotel room is trashed; a character belches loudly into a microphone; and a dinosaur destroys an outhouse, leaving a solitary figure stranded on a toilet. ERSB Site

Rating: Everyone.....Content descriptors: Comic Mischief, Mild Lyrics.....Rating summary: This is a music and rhythm simulation game in which players perform songs using on-screen Lego avatars with various instruments. Players simulate playing guitar, bass, and drums and are scored based on the accuracy of the notes hit. During some cutscenes, Lego characters break apart into smaller pieces, fall through a trap door, or belch into a microphone. One song contains the expletive "hell." http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=27609

Iggy Pop is doing the voice overs for the tutorials Escapist Mag

The colored gems you’re accustomed to playing have been replaced with Lego pieces, and the normal humans you would expect to be rocking out on stage have been exchanged for minifigs. Link

Build fame LEGO-style: Collect LEGO bricks after each song to build cooler vehicles and move to new venues. Xbox.com

LEGO rock den: Buy furniture, decorate the walls and customize your band's hang-out as you climb the ladder to rock success. Xbox.com

Song Backgrounds, Challenges and Story:
Ghost Busters: Thus the song of the Ghostbusters a story about the LEGO dolls to act in a haunted house. Through the power of their music, they know the ghosts, zombies and other scary creatures to keep at a distance. The staves will remain in focus, but in the background, there is everything from all kinds of strange and ghostly figures seen from LEGO. This is funny to see and especially for children will be a nice addition. Dutch - Gamez.nl

When you begin the career mode, you’ll see a funny, cute cutscene featuring your customized LEGO characters (the game includes the full Rock Band 2 character creator) where you’re auditioning potential additions to the band. An octopus blows all the other drummers away, but apparently, you discriminate against sea creatures, so you have to turn him away. (This plays a part in the story later on, of course.)

You can fail songs as usual in the game’s “Rock Power Challenges.” These are special sequences that are tied to story events, like the octopus I referred to earlier. He’s enraged that you’ve rejected his eight-armed drumming, so when you sail to the Jolly Rocker pirate ship venue -- on a speedboat that you’ve purchased with studs -- he brings his (much bigger) dad along to end your maritime performance. After another cutscene that evokes a children’s cartoon, you’re tasked with using “the power of rock to defend the pirate ship and blow these suckers away” in the “Rocktopus” challenge.

Lego characters perform in and around fantasty-themed venues such as pirate ships, underwater domes, the moon, and a medieval castle. In this last-mentioned venue, a royal Lego army—equipped with swords, spears, arrows, and catapults—storms the castle; the band fights back with toy-like swords, improvising with guitar hits (licks?) and kicks to the chest.ERSB site

Lets Dance: The animations of Bowie, his band and the venue for the LEGO version of Let's Dance are loosely based on the original music video. USA Today

LEGO-themed rock challenges: Play killer riffs to destroy a giant robot, summon a storm, and demolish a skyscraper using the power of rock! Xbox.com In the new challenge mode you rock with a purpose. In the level we played, Breakout by the Foo Fighters set the mood for a building implosion. As we successfully jammed, we started to bring the house down. Literally. The characters would react to the destruction, dodging out of the way of falling beams so as not to crush their precious hands. When a specific instrument didn’t have any notes to play (such as the instrumental segue where David Grohl doesn’t have any lines) there segment drops out visually as well, giving you more room to view the destructive action. This mode doesn’t change the gameplay at all, but it’s a neat diversion. Link

Playable Characters
The entire band BlurRolling Stone

Spinal Tap

Queen Link/vid

Video of David Bowie in game USA Today and here is an upclose head shot Destructoid

Possible screenshot of Iggy Pop in the game Kotaku - According to Escapist Magazine, this is confirmed Link . But, I can't find the orig post...

The game's character creator will, obviously, let you make avatars that are completely different than Rock Band's normal fare. Unfortunately, due to licensing issues you probably won't be able to bring in any costumes from Lego's other videogame properties (like Star Wars and Batman), but you will have access to almost every piece of clothing from Lego's wide array of toys. For this demo, Harmonix provided a band composed of wizards wearing boxer shorts1-up

DS Version
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=221685

The DS is confirmed

the sound is high in quality, despite being crammed into the tiny DS cart.

you won't find any songs with 'suggestive content' or rude words.

It also means you won't be using any special input devices, except for the DS' own stylus and buttons. Apparently, using the stylus on expert is an incredibly hardcore challenge.

There will be a local multiplayer mode, while the single-player game will see you switching between the instruments in the same way Rock Band Unplugged did so convincingly on PSP recently.

The aim is to get all four of your Lego musicians, be they deep sea divers, jesters or rock chicks, to be 'happy'. And when they are happy, you get into a band groove. This earns you extra points and Lego studs to customize your characters.

We would have liked to see the game allow you to sing directly into the mic, but sadly that only triggers overdrive mode. You could always pretend you still have to and annoy everyone on the bus anyway.

Songs:
45-song setlist is in the next post... Thanks to KingTonyX for the links to the songs!

Songs listed by Genre

Songs with instrument's teirs

Limp Bizkit to have song on Rock Band Link - NOTE: no LB songs in setlist below.

According to HMXHenry, the Harmonix Audio Team (God bless their overworked souls) is working on Lego Rock Band. Here is the quote: "The audio team has also been neck deep in TB:RB, RBN, RBU, LRB, and a mess of other stuff." from this thread:

According to Julie Stern, Assistant Brand Relations Manager at LEGO Systems, Inc, the game will have music by AC/DC and ZZ Top '09 Comic Con Video But, according to HMX "Umm, yeah, none of that artist information is correct (except for Pink obviously)...We'll have more to announce regarding the artist list for LRB soon - but suffice it to say, this information is incorrect. As usual guys, sorry, but if it's not from Harmonix, it's not true.HMXThrasher

Songs you know and love: Rock out to everything from current radio hits to past favorites the whole family will enjoy. Xbox.com

DLC:

List of RB DLC playable in LEGO

Fans can extend their LEGO Rock Band experience on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with downloadable content that can be purchased through the LEGO Rock Band store. Players will have access to all of the songs in the Rock Band Music Store that have been identified to be suitable for all ages. Those cleared songs are the only tracks that will appear within the LEGO Rock Band store for purchase. The LEGO Rock Band store will continually highlight any new family-friendly tunes that can be played across the Rock Band platform as they are released for Rock Band. From press release

Controllers:
Supports Rock Band instruments, as well as other music game controllers Official Press Release

Compatibility with RB1 or 2:

Song Export Site The import is 1.2 GB
The teirs are different after they are exported, to see RB2 teirs click on this link
The LEGO exported songs are marked as regular DLC in RB.

Wii does not export.

100% export confirmed via John Drake's Twitter. - "@SamitSarkar also, 100% export! Confirmed! "

Any downloadable track for Rock Band that passes through a content filter can be played in Lego Rock

Disc export will rely on the technology pioneered by Harmonix to export tracks from the original Rock Band disc to the music library of Rock Band 2. Owners of LEGO Rock Band on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will be able to enter a unique code from an insert in their game manual into a dedicated website. The website will provide instructions allowing owners to unlock the export functionality of LEGO Rock Band. At that point, players will be able to export tracks from LEGO Rock Band to their hard drives for play in all game modes of the Rock Band Music Platform for a nominal export fee of $9.99 (800 Microsoft Points). An internet connection is required to perform this disc export. – Press Release

Comments

• SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
    Songs:
    1960's (2)
    "Fire" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Classic Rock, 1967)
    "I Want You Back" - Jackson 5 (Pop-Rock, 1969)*

1970's (6)
    "Crocodile Rock" - Elton John (Glam, 1973)
    "Kung Fu Fighting" - Carl Douglas (Funk, 1974)*
    "Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel (Glam, 1975)
    "Ride A White Swan" - T. Rex (Glam, 1970)
    "The Passenger" - Iggy Pop (Classic Rock, 1977)*
    "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" - Queen (Classic Rock, 1977)*

1980's (9)
    "Crash" - The Primitives (Indie Rock, 1988)*
    "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" - The Police (New Wave, 1981)
    "Free Fallin'" - Tom Petty (Classic Rock, 1989)*
    "Ghostbusters" - Ray Parker, Jr. (Pop-Rock, 1984)*
    "Let's Dance" - David Bowie (Pop-Rock, 1982)*
    "Summer Of '69" - Bryan Adams (Rock, 1985)
    "The Final Countdown" - Europe (Metal, 1986)*
    "Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina and The Waves (Pop-Rock, 1985)*
    "You Give Love A Bad Name" - Bon Jovi (Rock, 1986)

1990's (4)
    "Aliens Exist" - blink-182 (Punk, 1999)
    "Breakout" - Foo Fighters (Alternative, 1999)
    "Song 2" - Blur (Alternative, 1997)*
    "Two Princes" - Spin Doctors (Alternative, 1993)*

2000's (23)
    "A-Punk" - Vampire Weekend (Indie Rock, 2008)*
    "Accidentally In Love" - Counting Crows (Rock, 2004)*
    "Check Yes Juliet" - We The Kings (Pop-Rock, 2007)*
    "Dig" - Incubus (Alternative, 2006)
    "Dreaming Of You" - The Coral (Indie Rock, 2002)
    "Girls & Boys" - Good Charlotte (Punk, 2003)*
    "Grace" - Supergrass (Rock, 2002)*
    "In Too Deep" - Sum 41 (Punk, 2001)*
    "Life Is A Highway" - Rascal Flatts (Country, 2006)*
    "Monster" - The Automatic Automatic (Indie Rock, 2006)*
    "Naive" - The Kooks (Indie Rock, 2005)
    "Real Wild Child" - Everlife (Pop-Rock, 2007)
    "Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)" - Lostprophets (Alternative, 2006)
    "Ruby" - Kaiser Chiefs (Indie Rock, 2006)*
    "Short & Sweet" - Spinal Tap (Metal, 2009)
    "So What" - P!nk (Pop-Rock, 2008)*
    "Stumble and Fall" - Razorlight (Indie Rock, 2004)
    "Suddenly I See" - KT Tunstall (Rock, 2004)*
    "Swing, Swing" - The All-American Rejects (Emo, 2003)*
    "Thunder" - Boys Like Girls (Pop-Rock, 2006)
    "Tick Tick Boom" - The Hives (Punk, 2007)
    "Valerie" - The Zutons (Indie Rock, 2006)
    "Word Up!" - KoRn (Nu-Metal, 2004)

the genres are obviously up for debate but I think this is how HMX will classify them :)

* = Song for the DS version (25 total)
    Thanks to KingTonyX for the links… Great job!
  • t1redmonkeyt1redmonkey Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, I'll keep this thread bookmarked since I'm too lazy to sift through all of the Lego Rock Band related threads and news snippets myself!
  • KhiroKhiro Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Whoaw. Haven't people been talking about LEGO Rock Band for ages though? Am I the only one who've seen talk about this before?
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    I want to destroy a robot and skyscraper with the power of Rock!
  • acidicthought8acidicthought8 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Khiro;2307537 said:
    Whoaw. Haven't people been talking about LEGO Rock Band for ages though? Am I the only one who've seen talk about this before?
    It's been nothing more than a rumor for a while now.
  • edited April 2009
    Sayburr;2307519 said:
    Just thought I would go ahead and start the FAQ
    You are so diligent! I check your Bealtes: RB thread all the time.
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    At least we know where Henry gets his ideas for the game now?

Maybe HMX should starting paying royalties to all the frequent board contributors?

UNION!
  • Matt LOLMatt LOL Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    This is win simply for the fact that Song 2 has been licensed.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited April 2009
    Nice work again, Sayburr.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Sayburr;2307514 said:
    Build fame LEGO-style: Collect LEGO bricks after each song to build cooler vehicles and move to new venues. Xbox.com

LEGO rock den: Buy furniture, decorate the walls and customize your band's hang-out as you climb the ladder to rock success. Xbox.com
    These sound like something I wouldn't mind seeing crossing over to the next "true" RB game.
    edited April 2009
    Sayburr;2307514 said:
    LEGO-themed rock challenges: Play killer riffs to destroy a giant robot, summon a storm, and demolish a skyscraper using the power of rock! Xbox.com
    On a side note, I wonder if this will be something similiar to Elite Beat Agents.

It's not a "mini-game" but rather a challenge that corresponds to the songs you play. For example, you play "Rock You Like a Hurricane" during the storm challenge...and your performance affects how the challenge plays out.

Because otherwise it sounds like mini-games to me.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
    Khiro;2307537 said:
    Yes, but it was pure rumor and speculation at the time... this is more of a factual FAQ.
  • CCGPheonixCCGPheonix Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    west siide;2307545 said:
    I want to destroy a robot and skyscraper with the power of Rock!
    Heck yes.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited April 2009
    T-Hybrid;2307619 said:
    On a side note, I wonder if this will be something similiar to Elite Beat Agents.

It's not a "mini-game" but rather a challenge that corresponds to the songs you play. For example, you play "Rock You Like a Hurricane" during the storm challenge...and your performance affects how the challenge plays out.

Because otherwise it sounds like mini-games to me.
    That's a good thought actually.

"Rock You Like A Hurricane" by Scorpions for the storm challenge
    "Walls Cave In" by Tipton, Entwistle and Powell for the skyscraper downing!

I love it!

Actually, you may be on to something there T-Hybrid.
    edited April 2009
    Couple of other notes:

1) Somebody else mentioned this earlier and I think it sounds about right. The "Stud Counter" in previous LEGO titles will likely replace the star system. Filling the counter is equivalent to Five-Starring the song. Doing so also usually unlocks new content in the game...which appears to mentioned in the game listing.

2) Downloadable content. This will likely be two things: One type will be new LEGO content to expand customization. The other type will likely be new songs. I would guess (in order to preserve the platform concept) DLC released for LRB will be compatible with RB1 and RB2. The goal would likely be to include new LRB songs with the weekly DLC releases we have now. Either weekly or maybe every other week.

This way, LRB owners (who only own LRB) get a host of new songs while not excluding those who own RB1/RB2.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited April 2009
    Great so it sounds like there won't be exportable content from LEGO to Rock Band 2. Bummer...

Where's the Limp Bizkit rumor?
  • darthsmurfxdarthsmurfx Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    You know what would be cool? If you have game saves of other LEGO games on your system it loads those LEGO parts into Rock Band. Like Star Wars and Batman characters and then you can mix and match the pieces. That would be nifty.
  • azerkailazerkail Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    I openly admit that I enjoy Lego games. There's something funny about seeing stormtroopers in Lego Star Wars blow up into pieces instead of body parts. Its like, lol, when you were a kid who liked to build cities of Legos only to Godzilla all over it.

WAIT...

Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult when destroying skyscrapers?

xD

If the 'minigames' are for a full band, I might keep it around when I get it.

Although I would like to export it, pwetty please? I want my chainsaw wielding maniac of a guitarist to play The Final Countdown for some reason. xD
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2009
    Well the DLC makes me think this, like the Beatles is going to be its own entity and will not have import abilities.

Why set up DLC for it if you are just going to import it?
  • HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    noble;2308163 said:
    Well the DLC makes me think this, like the Beatles is going to be its own entity and will not have import abilities.

For all of the other owners who just bought Lego: RB and not 1 or 2. ;) If our current DLC was compatible with this game, it wouldn't be able to keep an 'E' rating. If it is exportable to Rock Band, the 'E' can stay. :)
  • TrogdonTrogdon Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    I will have to rent it just to play The Final Countdown and Song 2. Then I'll take it back and rent a different game and say the disk didn't work.
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    experience fun for the whole family on a wild journey to rock stardom culminating in the ultimate rock gig that will take you out of this world!
    Every time I read this I just can't help but picture rocking out on the Death Star. I blame Lego Star Wars.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    I don't see anything in the OP that hints that songs won't be exportable. The fact that the game will have DLC doesn't prohibit the concept of export at all; instead, it means that HMX could possibly release the kid-friendly stuff (like the controversial Naked Bros Band and Miranda Cosgrove and Spongebob tracks :rolleyes: ) onto Lego instead of the RB platform.

But then again, the fact that they're introducing a whole new difficult level (Easy "Plus"?) for kids means an extra level of charting involved, so I don't know if that would affect the ability for those tracks to transfer to RB...

...we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, great thread, Sayburr....thanks for the new info. It's starting to sound more like a traditional Lego game -- it'll be cool to use THE POWER OF ROCK in those challenges....:)
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for putting this thread together, Sayburr. Your efforts on the Beatles thread are much appreciated, as well.
  • TruthBringerTruthBringer Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Sayburr, though i'm not sure on this one yet, these threads you create always help seperate the fiction from the fact! makes browsing much easier. I appreciate you :)
    edited April 2009
    darthsmurfx;2308078 said:
    You know what would be cool? If you have game saves of other LEGO games on your system it loads those LEGO parts into Rock Band. Like Star Wars and Batman characters and then you can mix and match the pieces. That would be nifty.
    If they are working with Warner Interactive, it's entirely possible that they could have obtained the rights to have that kind of content available in game.

As in, you can use Batman's cowl on your custom character.
    noble;2308163 said:
    If LRB does the same thing that RB2 is doing, then it's essentially "importing" the DLC that is currently connected to RB1.

They can easily replicated this with LRB. All they'd have to do is release DLC specifically for LRB, but then patch RB1 and RB2 to be able to access it. That way if they want to avoid having "unfriendly" DLC in the LEGO title, they can release it for LRB, but RB1 and RB2 owners can purchase it as normal.
  • oogaboohaoogabooha Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    I will buy this, as it adds a new RPG factor to the fact that the LEGO customization is in there and the bricks, etc.

And The Final Countdown by Europe is WIN

All we need now is a code to transfer the songs...
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    I still think that its more likely RB2 will be transferable to your HDD like RB1 was. Then all your on disc songs and DLC will be playable in Lego RB and Beatles RB. Also HMX is charting the songs for Lego RB so I don't see why they wouldn't work like any other DLC or on disc song.
  • Blood RapterBlood Rapter Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    rb 3 would be better................w/e though more rb is always nice. harmonix shuld do another game for hardcore players families and old people wont play for more than an hour at a time neways.........hell my little bros freinds dont play more than a couple songs and all they do is play videogames rb 3!!!!!! a better version of rb 2 would be GOD
  • AndjohsAndjohs Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Wow, this new so called "Rock Band" sound really ridiculous. Im a huge fan of RB1 and RB2 but the whole "lets try and make it more family-freindly and childish, so we will reach the broad audience so we can sell as much as GH-series" is just lame IMO. I dont care sitting and building LEGO bricks and building my own LEGO character. I just wanna play the game and listen to some good music. I think they should use the money on a wider and better song list and instead of adding crap extra songs like local band, then give us some sweet extra songs that people are familier with.
    But maybe Im the only one with this opinion...