LEGO® Rock Band® - Rumors and Facts

Comments

• bootz0rsbootz0rs Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    That video is some has some definate expansion packness specifically the title screen.
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Skode;2777966 said:
    So on first impressions with some hand on experience would you so far give it thumbs up or thumbs down for presentations...the charts were always gonna be pretty much what we expected them to be save for LEGO blocks instead of normal rectangular notes we see in RB.

The appeal is supposed to be around customisation (which weve not seen any off so far revealed save the odd dev saying "make your own vehicles" and the likes but if there is fun to be had with dinoasaurs invading the set then that would be cool to see but again weve not even seen any of that to date either :()
    Yeah I didn't see any of the other stuff that has been rumored like the building stuff. That stuff was not part of the demo on the floor.

For me a lego rockband purchase would come down to the songs being transferrable or not. If you cannot transfer songs then it wouldn't be a purchase for me. Some of the songs are cool though, but I'd rather look at the human looking players over the lego ones.

I think most of us would buy it if it is transferrable for sure, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it unless one of the songs is a must have for you.

There were no more songs on the demo that I noticed then what has already been confirmed.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    T-Hybrid;2770184 said:
    I'm going to go ahead and repeat my question, since nobody actually tried to answer it.

If the exact same game was released as Rock Band 3 with the traditional artwork instead of LEGO...would people be as deadset on it "having" to export.

Because honestly, I haven't seen one decent arguement for why it should be day 1 exportable except for "Well I don't like LEGO so obviously it makes sense."
    Well, if it were RB3 than, no I would not expect it to export to an earlier version. But, LEGO is not the next version of Rock Band it is an offshoot of RB with an E rating, which means many of the songs on the RB platform can't be played on L:RB or the rating would have to be Teen, not Everyone.

Thus, I can't see RB2 being exportable to L:RB, nor do I see L:RB playing current DLC unless there is some kind of filter programmed into the game.

Because of the E rating vs T rating it makes more sense to me for the L:RB to be exportable... Whether that is to RB2 or RB3 doesn't matter... if the songs will export. But, if the songs are exportable than it would make more sense for the songs to be exportable to RB2 because it would help drive sales at the game's full price. If they are exportable to RB3 than, most likely, the price of the game will drop by then and people that would only buy the game for the songs will not be purchasing at full price, thus it will lessen revenue.

That is my argument for exportability from day 1... but maybe I am just being greedy.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Skode;2778469 said:
    Personally i had never seen that video so thanks for posting :)...its EXACTLY the same gameplay as RB it would appear, only difference is HMX as we already know made the notes into the shape of LEGO blocks...otherwise same starts, same overdrive activation, same vocals charting = yeah, all they would have to do at HMX to make these songs RB2/3 ready would be to change the note icons ;)

This video also reminded me just how short Song 2 was haha
    No they don't have to do anything really that's just how the lego rock band code is reading it, probably the same with the animations and seeing how it's a variety of songs what better way to grab another demographic by adding a 1 time export.
  • ScentedCandleScentedCandle Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I'm not going to lie; I'll probably end up getting the game regardless of the disc export solution. The set-list seems pretty solid from what we've been given, and so far I don't have any reason to believe that it'll disappoint on that front. First: I would be very surprised if RB2 exported to L:RB. Between RBN and the different ESRB ratings of the two games, it doesn't seem to me like L:RB is intended to replace RB2.

What I'd be more than happy with (and what I hope will be the case) would be a situation very similar to the AC/DC track-pack download code, which has been outlined thoroughly in this thread already. I was fine with that. It worked.

The way I see it, the download code only adds value to the game. With the different aesthetic and slightly modified game mechanics (and, yes, the gamerscore), I'll still have plenty of reason to play the retail release of L:RB. If I want to blow up a building or fight UFOs while I'm playing Jackson 5, I'll have the L:RB disc on-hand. That still interests me, and it gives me a chance to play the game a different way.

Sometimes, though, I'll just want to play "I Want You Back" with my RB2 characters. There would probably be some people who spend more time playing the tracks in RB2 than in L:RB. Some people might not even touch L:RB. Lord knows I didn't bother with the actual AC/DC game for more than ten minutes.

Ultimately, the download code only adds value, and I suspect it would help convince many of the skeptical hardcore players still on the fence about the game. Although I don't know enough of the licensing aspect to comment on what it would cost to include, I do believe that a one-time download would increase sales of the retail SKU.

I don't really want to get into RB3 exportability, since the mere existence of the game is still up in the air. Right now, RB2 is the main platform title, and I'd be disappointed if L:RB broke from that.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited July 2009
    In Too Deep + Aliens Exist + Girls & Boys = Bringing me back to when i was a kid = uber win = instabuy
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    west siide;2774124 said:
    I agree with you...but it seems that there's something going on because HMX has been particularly mum on the issue of exportability for this game.
    Probably because there has yet t be an official decision regarding it. Remember, it's something that can always be patched in LATER.
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'm pretty sure some decision was already reached.

With being a tad more than 3 months out from hitting the stores I would think the disc has gone into production for the game, right? Between that and the packaging, and delivery and so on? They need some months for the whole process.

So whatever they've decided the game will do out of the box in terms of exportability is known by HMX at this point.

Certaintly, if exportability doesn't ship with the product it can be patched later...but I have no doubts that the information on this has been very much decided by HMX. (or decided for them based on the licensing, whichever).
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    With "Tick Tick Boom" by The Hives being added, I REALLY hope that these songs are exportable. Pretty please??!!?!
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Nice gameplay of Tick Tick Boom at Comic con.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwqeAw04Ao

You can't really hear the song all that well though.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I feel like Lego Rock Band keeps getting pushed to the side and the limelight is being given to The Beatles: Rock Band. We haven't heard enough info yet. I STILL don't know if I want this game. At the moment, I simply have to say I'm not getting it because HMX hasn't given me enough info to get excited.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    jeccaneko;2782093 said:
    I feel like Lego Rock Band keeps getting pushed to the side and the limelight is being given to The Beatles: Rock Band. We haven't heard enough info yet. I STILL don't know if I want this game. At the moment, I simply have to say I'm not getting it because HMX hasn't given me enough info to get excited.
    I agree all the limelight is on The Beatles but then its HMX baby so i guess you can understand the bias...still you would think there would be some more exposure to LEGO rock band none the less, its kind of like the black sheep of the family no one is admitted they are related to.
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I'm alright with TBRB in the spotlight. It just means that LEGO RB will be in the spotlight after TBRB is released. I'll have a game to enjoy while I wait for another game that I'm going to enjoy.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    Zephiel;2782128 said:
    I'm alright with TBRB in the spotlight. It just means that LEGO RB will be in the spotlight after TBRB is released. I'll have a game to enjoy while I wait for another game that I'm going to enjoy.
    Right, we are just now getting more info on TB:RB and it releases in just over a month... LEGO releases in November... Lots of time left.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Sayburr;2782143 said:
    Right, we are just now getting more info on TB:RB and it releases in just over a month... LEGO releases in November... Lots of time left.
    Do you think thats why they are being so coy with details on LEGO rock band...i mean the comicon songs revealed were not even officially announced here proper. I guess maybe they are waiting for the two month gap between release but man its kind of putting all eggs in one basket again only focusing on one title at the expense of all others, hoping to hear more on the Metal track pack as well thats blatantly in development
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Zephiel;2782128 said:
    This is exactly it. L:RB is the second child here. Once TB:RB comes out expect more information to be released about L:RB. They're not going to upstage their flagship game, especially so close to release.

Besides which, we still haven't received a tonne of info on TB:RB either, so while L:RB has less info known, it's about on par with what was known about TB:RB that far out.
  • AntarianRangerAntarianRanger Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Probably too late on this for it to be news, but I've uploaded four videos of Lego Rock Band at San Diego Comic Con (I was there with Black Flame Zealot). One of them (the last one) shows the neat way that, in a certain mode, the charts drop off of the screen when they have no notes.

Lego Rock Band Song Selection
    Lego Rock Band at SDCC 1
    Lego Rock Band at SDCC 2
    Lego Rock Band at SDCC 3
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    AntarianRanger;2788892 said:
    Probably too late on this for it to be news, but I've uploaded four videos of Lego Rock Band at San Diego Comic Con (I was there with Black Flame Zealot). One of them (the last one) shows the neat way that, in a certain mode, the charts drop off of the screen when they have no notes.

Lego Rock Band Song Selection
    Lego Rock Band at SDCC 1
    Lego Rock Band at SDCC 2
    Lego Rock Band at SDCC 3
    Why does the song selection say rb2 and lego? Shouldn't it just say lego? I'm gonna call that Lego transfer to rock band 2/1 and rb2/1 songs transfer to lego but with the ability for a parent to block certain songs from the child playing.
  • Explosion2Explosion2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    General Lein979;2788936 said:
    Why does the song selection say rb2 and lego? Shouldn't it just say lego? I'm gonna call that Lego transfer to rock band 2/1 and rb2/1 songs transfer to lego but with the ability for a parent to block certain songs from the child playing.
    that would be really cool. parental controls for RB.

[unnecessary scenario]
    "I blocked cannibal corpse, kids. stop asking where it is! just play That's What You Get instead!"
    [/unnecessary scenario]

but yeah. nice catch with "rock band 2" being there.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited July 2009
    That RB2 header is very suspicious, but it makes me question why only songs that are confirmed for LEGO are on that list. I wish they would have scrolled up a little further to see if there were any others.
    edited July 2009
    LOL. That RB2 header is going to give people headaches for MONTHS now. But I'm still standing by my original statement (if anything becomes exportable this year it's RB2)

Because I think the "LEGO" songs are marked with a Brick style icon. Which I'm using as further confirmation that this game is NOT going to export but WILL support older songs.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited July 2009
    T-Hybrid;2789020 said:
    LOL. That RB2 header is going to give people headaches for MONTHS now. But I'm still standing by my original statement (if anything becomes exportable this year it's RB2)

Because I think the "LEGO" songs are marked with a Brick style icon. Which I'm using as further confirmation that this game is NOT going to export but WILL support older songs.
    T-Hybrid, my perspective on this confirms that RB2 will export.

They have a RB2 header for when you export them to lego rock band. This makes sense to me.

Please be right.
  • XTommyDonXXTommyDonX Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Cool video.

Don't most of those song difficulty levels seem really highfor those songs?

And can anyone read that section that separates So What from the rest of the song list? It looks like it says Rock Band and something after that.

Edit: Read above posts.

So if the heading says Rock Band 2, then why are lego songs underneath it? Very mysterious. I wish they would just give us a straight answer.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    XTommyDonX;2789218 said:
    Cool video.

Don't most of those song difficulty levels seem really highfor those songs?

And can anyone read that section that separates So What from the rest of the song list? It looks like it says Rock Band and something after that.

Edit: Read above posts.

So if the heading says Rock Band 2, then why are lego songs underneath it? Very mysterious. I wish they would just give us a straight answer.

I'd be willing to go All In and bet that the song(s) ABOVE the line are LEGO --- possibly LEGO only. That would include "So What," which is no great loss in my book if it's non-transferable to RB2.

But yeah, the fact that "Rock Band 2" is the header for the rest of the songs HIGHLY indicates that those songs (A-Punk, Accidentally in Love, Aliens Exist, Breakout, In Too Deep, Song 2, The Final Countdown, You Give Love... ) will be exportable.
    edited July 2009
    Exporting RB2 will be a foolish idea. Not enough people have it yet. Charging around $5 to export the full RB2 setlist (being that it didn't come with a download voucher) instead of making new customers fairly pay the $60 like everyone else instead of just borrowing it would make much less sense then Lego coming with a voucher/export fee.

Could you honestly imagine Lego becoming the main Rock Band platform? That's what ill happen if RB2 is the one to export and not Lego.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    Do I have to repeat myself for like the 4th time in this thread?

Three letters, people, three letters.
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2789269 said:
    I'd be willing to go All In and bet that the song(s) ABOVE the line are LEGO --- possibly LEGO only. That would include "So What," which is no great loss in my book if it's non-transferable to RB2.

But yeah, the fact that "Rock Band 2" is the header for the rest of the songs HIGHLY indicates that those songs (A-Punk, Accidentally in Love, Aliens Exist, Breakout, In Too Deep, Song 2, The Final Countdown, You Give Love... ) will be exportable.
    Could be. Maybe some songs export and others don't or possibly become regular DLC in the future.

All I'm saying is that it would be best for them to just make it easy for people to get these songs they want. We're not talking about legendary bands or anything. We're talking about stuff like Sum 41 and Blur. Why make it difficult for people to get the songs they like. I'm just hoping that they don't make a huge mess over this game. Beatles is already causing Rock Band to diverge from the "music platform" idea.
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2789269 said:
    So wait...a category is labeled "Rock Band 2" and that means those songs are exportable?

Note that the icon of the songs under the RB2 label are the same as the songs under the "other" category we can't read. It means they are from the same source (LEGO)

The RB2 category in LEGO is just like the RB1 category in RB2. It indicates which songs are FROM the old game, not which ones are going TO the old game.
    XTommyDonX;2789284 said:
    Exporting RB2 will be a foolish idea. Not enough people have it yet. Charging around $5 to export the full RB2 setlist (being that it didn't come with a download voucher) instead of making new customers fairly pay the $60 like everyone else instead of just borrowing it would make much less sense then Lego coming with a voucher/export fee.
    Um, RB1 became exportable after only a year...and you won't see a $5 fee this time around because songs are no longer licensed on a disc by disc basis but rather for the entire platform.

If anything, the code that came with RB2 will be used to aid in exporting...as there is only one code per disc and thus only one opportunity to export per copy out there.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    T-Hybrid;2789414 said:

The RB2 category in LEGO is just like the RB1 category in RB2. It indicates which songs are FROM the old game, not which ones are going TO the old game.
    Um, T....I usually agree with ya on most things, but I'm having a hard time understanding that statement above....

Last time I checked, Song 2 and Aliens Exist and Final Countdown and all those others listed under "Rock Band 2" on the LEGO game are NOT available in my (or your) Rock Band 2 game.....:confused:
    edited July 2009
    Then it's likely a hitch in the game not quite worked out yet. Because what's the point of saying "These songs go into RB2" when you wouldn't even know that until you actually WENT into RB2?

Because that says "Sorted by location", and last I checked (and as you confirmed) none of those songs are located in RB2.

--------

I should also point out this video here.

It has the full playable setlist at SDCC, and it also shows off the sort by difficulty. You'll note that the three songs NOT included in the "Rock Band 2" category ("So What", "I Want You Back", and "Girls & Boys") may or may not have a different icon. However NEITHER of them are the existing 1/2/Arrow indicating RB1/RB2/DLC.

However, it's tough to tell (since nobody can hold the dang camera steady) if this is actually the case. And I haven't found a good video of the sort by location.

Why is it the only people who get these videos are always too dumb to actually get the IMPORTANT footage?