Modern Day Equivalents Of Classic/Legendary Bands

punkfanpunkfan Rising Star
edited May 2009 in History of Rock
Basically as the title says, who do you think is the modern day equivalent of any classic/legendary band in any genre. It could be based on sound, attitude, influence that you think the will have, or anything else that makes them similar to any classic band.

Comments

• Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2009
    Beck is the modern-day Bob Dylan.

Seriously.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    i remember somebody saying Fallout boy was the new Poison....and i actually agree with that.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    Arjen Anthony Lucsean (I bet I spelled this wrong) is the modern Alan Parsons for metal I mean have you heard his projects :D
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited May 2009
    Travis Barker is the new Tommy Lee. Dave Grohl is the new Paul McCartney.
  • punkfanpunkfan Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    Does anybody have any reasons as to why they think this?
    edited May 2009
    punkfan;2362017 said:
    Mine is kinda self explanatory if you are familiar with his projects and I understand Julio's as well (especially the Grohl one ;))
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited May 2009
    punkfan;2362017 said:
    Travis Barker is a very mediocre drummer but is the main draw to his respective band (like Motley Crue). And Dave Grohl is a wonderful muti-instrumentalist, like Sir Paul.
    edited May 2009
    Okay I will explain mine :D

Alan Parsons created several concept albums and incorporated several musicians into his albums

Arjen Anthony has created several side projects based on a concept (Star One, Stream Of Passion, Ambeon, Aryeon, and Guilt Machine) and his main project Ayreon is a concept with several other concept albums
    edited May 2009
    fall out boy is a band with minor talent that creates very catchy songs and are more about their image than anything.
    edited May 2009
    punkfan;2362017 said:
    This is my reasoning. Plus they're both excellent singer-songwriters that dabbled all over the place in their careers but still have a strong rooting in folk.
    Cubecubed;2362092 said:
    fall out boy is a band with minor talent that creates very catchy songs and are more about their image than anything.
    While Fall Out Boy's singer and bassist are terrible, their guitarist and drummer are actually pretty good.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    Muse is the new Pink Floyd.

They're carrying the banner of art rock, prog rock and space rock to new heights, and doing it on the strength of some of the best goddam guitars, drums and vocals I've heard in decades.

What's baffling to me is that Muse isn't more popular in the US. They're huge in the UK and Europe, but in the US, the only people who've heard of them come from RB & GH fans and the most well-versed alt-rock fans.

I wish to god Muse would unleash a hellacious American tour. I'd go to every single show.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2362036 said:
    Travis Barker is a very mediocre drummer but is the main draw to his respective band (like Motley Crue). l.
    I would slightly disagree with that. I agree with the comparison, though I usually say Joey Jordison is the new T-Bone. Tommy is/was a very good drummer , well above average but didn't get much respect back in the day due to the band he was in much the same as Travis and Joey. Wasn't until Tommy did some work with Stu Hamm and Hamm mentioned in several interviews just how good Lee really was that people took another look.

Good comaprison though.
    edited May 2009
    Alright_Computer;2362126 said:

While Fall Out Boy's singer and bassist are terrible, their guitarist and drummer are actually pretty good.
    i love fall out boy...but their appeal isn't in their technical skill...i think you'd agree with me.
    edited May 2009
    cherokeesam;2362868 said:
    Muse is the new Pink Floyd.

They're carrying the banner of art rock, prog rock and space rock to new heights, and doing it on the strength of some of the best goddam guitars, drums and vocals I've heard in decades.

What's baffling to me is that Muse isn't more popular in the US. They're huge in the UK and Europe, but in the US, the only people who've heard of them come from RB & GH fans and the most well-versed alt-rock fans.

I wish to god Muse would unleash a hellacious American tour. I'd go to every single show.
    i will agree on the bass and drum parts...but i cant agree on the guitar parts...and i lOVE muse.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Muse is modern day Radiohead. Artsy, experimental, and Matt Bellamy is Thom Yorke's clone.

Coheed and Cambria is modern day Rush in too many ways to explain.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited May 2009
    Alright_Computer;2362126 said:
    Stump likes to sing soul and r&b tunes and he's not bad, so no; he's not terrible, lol.
    edited May 2009
    Gowienczyk;2363763 said:
    Stump likes to sing soul and r&b tunes and he's not bad, so no; he's not terrible, lol.
    i actually really like his voice,for what its worth.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited May 2009
    Gowienczyk;2363763 said:
    Yeah, Fall Out Boy's lyrics are pretty bad, but the singer's OK.

Also, Panic! at the Disco is the new Led Zeppelin. I don't think I have to spell out my reasons for you, you're all smart people.
    edited May 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2364505 said:
    Yeah, Fall Out Boy's lyrics are pretty bad, but the singer's OK.

Also, Panic! at the Disco is the new Led Zeppelin. I don't think I have to spell out my reasons for you, you're all smart people.
    Wentz (bassist) writes the lyrics. Take it up with him.
  • jsorgejsorge Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    Quinarvy;2363757 said:
    Rush is the modern day Rush.
    edited May 2009
    Tiles is a modern day Rush in all honesty.
    edited May 2009
    jsorge;2364553 said:
    Rush is the modern day Rush.
    i agree with this.
    edited May 2009
    Quinarvy;2363757 said:
    Muse is modern day Radiohead. Artsy, experimental, and Matt Bellamy is Thom Yorke's clone.

coheed is coheed....they have too many influences to list.
  • dragonanthony86dragonanthony86 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    most of you probably never heard of them, but parlor mob sounds kinda like a modern led zeppelin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6NOjEBiEJA
    edited May 2009
    Don't see how Coheed is that unique. It's just a mixture of 3, Rush and Iron Maiden.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    sHEAVY is a modern day Sabbath.
    edited May 2009
    Zappa Plays Zappa is the new Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention :D
    edited May 2009
    Gowienczyk;2363763 said:
    I don't know if I meant terrible as much as annoying. I mean, he's not a bad singer, I just don't like his tone at all.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Cubecubed;2364962 said:
    coheed is coheed....they have too many influences to list.
    Like Rush, Rush, and Rush.
    edited May 2009
    Alright_Computer;2365068 said:
    I don't know if I meant terrible as much as annoying. I mean, he's not a bad singer, I just don't like his tone at all.
    I guess that makes sense, but he sounds above their average studio recordings when he sings songs in his soul background via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OSG4C1Qctw