The Beatles Rock Band Premium Bundle Standalone

Fab4BearFab4Bear Unsigned
edited May 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I am a first generation Beatles' Fan, 58 years old. I have not been a gamer, but I am very excited about the new Beatles Rock Band Game coming out 09-09-09. I have read there is a "standalone" version. I don't have any of the other game hardware (Nintendo Wii, XBox 360, or Playstation 3) since I have not been a gamer. I'm trying to get on the "pre-order" list, but in all the searches I have done, I can't find a 9 digit number for a "standalone" version. I'm hopeful, and guessing that the standalone will include the hardware necessary to play the game? I hope I'm not going to have to buy a $600 :eek: piece of hardware to play the Beatles Rock Band game?
Can someone please help?
Email your response to: [email]fab4bear@mindspring.com[/email]
Thank You for your help! :) I'm exasperated trying to find the item. :(

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Welcome to the Rockband Forums.

You will need a console to play.

A PS3 or XBOX360 would be your best choice.

In your case, I would suggest the PS3 due to the Blue Ray player so its more versatile as a home entertainment center addition.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Hi and welcome...

And nah, that's silly you don't need to buy a $600 system. They are a lot cheaper now and you can get used systems for cheap on Ebay.com

Check it out and shop around.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2009
    Good day,
    I am only 43, but remember the Beatles well.

What I would suggest, since you have never bought a game system or the game before… and you plan on using the game system for The Beatles only is to buy the following:

System:
    The Nintendo Wii is the cheapest, but weakest system and can be bought for $250 US. http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Nintendo/dp/B0009VXBAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241624918&sr=1-1

The problem with that system is the game will be offering downloadable content, in the form of extra songs in the future. To download those songs you will need a card to same the data to: SanDisc will run you an extra $50 to save your data.

If you would like to download more songs later, I would suggest getting an Xbox 360 for $299. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Console-60GB-Bonus-Games/dp/B001FPBZ3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241625302&sr=1-2

The game system is more powerful than the Wii, so the graphics normally look better, plus there is a lot of room for additional songs.

Then you will need to order the game itself for $250 http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Limited-Premium-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B001TOMQUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241625370&sr=1-2

Now you have the Game System (Xbox 360) for $300, and the game, drums, mic and a guitar for $250. total $550

Now, if you plan on ever playing with three others… that is how I game, you will need to pick up a second guitar controller

You can pick up a Beatles controller for $100 and can get a replica of either George’s or John’s guitar: http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Wireless-Rickenbacker-Controller-Xbox-360/dp/B0028N13GC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241625515&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Wireless-Gretsch-Controller-Xbox-360/dp/B0028NC8EI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241625515&sr=1-11

That will take the full band price up to $650

You can also use a regular RB2 guitar for $70 http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Wireless-Gretsch-Controller-Xbox-360/dp/B0028NC8EI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1241625515&sr=1-11

Bottom line:
    System: $300
    Bundle: $250
    Guitar : $100

Total $650 plus tax…
  • HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    You can purchase a brand new Xbox 360 for $199 that has a small amount of internal storage for saving games. If you would like to download songs, you'll need a hard drive to store all of the songs. The Xbox 360 comes in 3 flavors. 256mb storage for 199, 60gb of storage for 299 and 120gb of storage for 399. If you are an entry level gamer and just want to rock out with The Beatles, grab the Xbox 360 arcade for 199. If you decide you want to download songs, you can always purchase the 60gb or 120gb hard drive separately.

EDIT* All of the above posts have some great info in them. Just look 'em over and decide what's best for your budget.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2009
    HazyCloud;2374332 said:
    If you decide you want to download songs, you can always purchase the 60gb or 120gb hard drive separately.
    Ack... didn't think of that... yeah, buy the $199 xbox and if you decide later you can buy the 60g hard drive for about $100.
  • NeogogluNeogoglu Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    OUCH !

Hopefully, something good will come out from this thread,
    not a console war again....
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    the standalone version refers to just the game disc. it's for all the people who have a videogame console AND Rock Band equipment already.

you will need one of the game consoles first. i disagree with the prior recommendation of a PS3. it is the most expensive of the consoles, and i doubt you are interested in it's multimedia functions.

the Wii $250, or the Xbox 360 Arcade $199 would probably be your best choices. you would then need the RB: Beatles package for $250 which would give you the game, 1 guitar controller, 1 drum controller, 1 mic, and 1 mic stand.
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    The cheapest way for you to get what you need to play the Beatles game would be...

$200: XBox 360 Arcade
    $60: Rock Band Special Edition (cheapest price online)
    $60: The Beatles: Rock Band stand-alone disc

This will give you drums, a guitar, and a microphone along with the original Rock Band game which features music by The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Who, and others. All for just $320.

Now, the instruments have been improved since the first game, so you might want to invest in the "The Beatles: Rock Band" Premium Bundle which will come with a guitar controller that is a replica of Paul's Hofner Bass along with the latest set drum controller detailed after Ringo's set, plus a microphone AND a mic stand. The guitar and drums will also be wireless, which won't be the case with the "Rock Band Special Edition" set. You'll definitely get better product that way, but it will raise the cost from $320 to $450. If you want a second guitar controller, I'd suggest a Rock Band 2 Wireless Guitar Controller. Its designed to look like a Fender Stratocaster with a sunburst design and sells for about $70. They are getting scarce for the XBox, though.

You might want to hold off, though, and see if they are going to announce any Downloadable content for the game. This is add-on content that you purchase online through your game console. If this is something you'd be interested in, you might want to investigate an XBox 360 or a PS3 that comes with a hard drive that you'd need to store the game files you purchased. You can upgrade the XBox 360 Arcade console, though, so that's an option there.
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Let's see your 58, so your probably want something quality that multi tasks. I suggest a PS3, while others will complain about the cost, what they don't tell you is that if you bought a comparable xbox it would be more in price. Its ready to use right out of the box. It has a better quality record than the 360. It also can be used for Blu ray movies and has free online content you may be interested in. On ebay you can snipe one for around 300 dollars or sometimes less thanks to the economy. Also Pawn shops are a great hunting ground.

DON'T get a 360 at a pawn shop! It's very likely someone traded it in because it was RROD (broke).

Also I would assume you are not going to like violent first person shooters so game selection would be even on whatever console you chose. The PS3 has a lot of puzzle games like Sudoku and the controller has the ability to work like the Wii's. PS3 has a bowling game for 9.99 that works just like wii's bowling game.

I like the feel of the PS3 controller as well. You may want to go to a store and handle the controllers to see which is more comfortable. I as I age my hands cramp more and more.

We as older folks understand that you get what you pay for but sometimes our wallets hold us back so if the PS3 is not for you my second suggestion is the Wii. Fun family games, user friendly,and a good quality record.
  • statboyinvastatboyinva Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    I would also recommend the Playstation 3 because of its multimedia capabilities. I'm waiting for "Help!" and "A Hard Day's Night" to be released on BluRay, at which point I will just pop them into the PS3 and enjoy the extra features BluRay provides. At this time, the Wii and the XBox 360 do not have BluRay capability, and further financial investment would be required to add a BluRay player after the fact for those consoles.
  • XydakoXydako Unsigned
    edited May 2009
    BStu78;2374427 said:
    The cheapest way for you to get what you need to play the Beatles game would be...

$200: XBox 360 Arcade
    $60: Rock Band Special Edition (cheapest price online)
    $60: The Beatles: Rock Band stand-alone disc

This will give you drums, a guitar, and a microphone along with the original Rock Band game which features music by The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Who, and others. All for just $320.

Now, the instruments have been improved since the first game, so you might want to invest in the "The Beatles: Rock Band" Premium Bundle which will come with a guitar controller that is a replica of Paul's Hofner Bass along with the latest set drum controller detailed after Ringo's set, plus a microphone AND a mic stand. The guitar and drums will also be wireless, which won't be the case with the "Rock Band Special Edition" set. You'll definitely get better product that way, but it will raise the cost from $320 to $450. If you want a second guitar controller, I'd suggest a Rock Band 2 Wireless Guitar Controller. Its designed to look like a Fender Stratocaster with a sunburst design and sells for about $70. They are getting scarce for the XBox, though.

You might want to hold off, though, and see if they are going to announce any Downloadable content for the game. This is add-on content that you purchase online through your game console. If this is something you'd be interested in, you might want to investigate an XBox 360 or a PS3 that comes with a hard drive that you'd need to store the game files you purchased. You can upgrade the XBox 360 Arcade console, though, so that's an option there.
    Best suggestion IMO
    edited May 2009
    Oh yeah, you can get some amazing concerts on blu ray. A lot of classic rock too like, Led, Moody Blues, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, The Who, Rolling Stones, Styx, Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, etc etc

In my opinion that alone makes me love my PS3. :)
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    Xydako;2374819 said:
    Best suggestion IMO
    +1

you PS3 fanboys are not reading the OP where he states he is an older non-gamer who just wants RB: Beatles without spending $600. he was even under the impression that the RB: Beatles "standalone" game would work without a console. i do not forsee this gentlemen needing BluRay, or checking Ebay for PS3 deals, or caring about DLC. BStu's suggestion of X360 Arcade+RB1+RB: Beatles disc will give him everything he needs for less than the price of a PS3.
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    Why are you all trying to sell him a Blu-ray player? Good God, I feel like I am at Best Buy or something. He made it clear all he wanted was the game.
    edited May 2009
    murph;2374877 said:
    +1

you PS3 fanboys are not reading the OP where he states he is an older non-gamer who just wants RB: Beatles without spending $600. he was even under the impression that the RB: Beatles "standalone" game would work without a console. i do not forsee this gentlemen needing BluRay, or checking Ebay for PS3 deals, or caring about DLC. BStu's suggestion of X360 Arcade+RB1+RB: Beatles disc will give him everything he needs for less than the price of a PS3.
    How old are you? Why would someone want to blow 200 dollars on something that does just one thing and has no harddrive? PS3 is a multi tasker. I'm old I like things that do more than one thing! Plus I'm sure he doesn't want to deal with packing the 360 up and sending it in for repair when it RROD's or scratches his game all up. Plus its not 600 dollars for a PS3 its 399 just like the 360 Elite and just because he is 58 doesn't mean he doesn't know what ebay is, you ageist *****, He obviously has internet so I'm sure he can watch ebay and get a great deal on one. Plus he is obviously a fan of good music so the blu ray concerts would be an added benefit. Does the 360 have added benefits? No!

Your the fanboy, you came in here and posted just because you think the 360 is better. You just attacked those who didn't agree with you.:mad:

Cheaper is not always better but if he wants cheap and like you said doesn't care for DLC then he should get a Wii.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375032 said:
    How old are you? Why would someone want to blow 200 dollars on something that does just one thing and has no harddrive?
    Because the OP clearly stated all he wanted was to play the game.
    edited May 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2375041 said:
    Because the OP clearly stated all he wanted was to play the game.
    Then he should buy a Wii.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375032 said:
    How old are you? Why would someone want to blow 200 dollars on something that does just one thing and has no harddrive? PS3 is a multi tasker. I'm old I like things that do more than one thing! Plus I'm sure he doesn't want to deal with packing the 360 up and sending it in for repair when it RROD's or scratches his game all up. Plus its not 600 dollars for a PS3 its 399 just like the 360 Elite and just because he is 58 doesn't mean he doesn't know what ebay is, you ageist *****, He obviously has internet so I'm sure he can watch ebay and get a great deal on one. Plus he is obviously a fan of good music so the blu ray concerts would be an added benefit. Does the 360 have added benefits? No!

Your the fanboy, you came in here and posted just because you think the 360 is better. You just attacked those who didn't agree with you.:mad:

Cheaper is not always better but if he wants cheap and like you said doesn't care for DLC then he should get a Wii.
    Both of your ideas are dumb as hell.

PS3 is too expensive and buying a RB1 kit is ******ed because the instruments are garbage.

Wii = $250 and Xbox360 = $200. Which one is less?
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375032 said:

I'm not a 360 fanboy. I have one, but a lot of it is frustrating and I do still plan on getting a PS3. I have a Wii, too. Fact is, though, Microsoft is the one marketing a simple console that just plays games. You may only want a console with a hard drive. I do, too. Someone who is buying a console just to play one game, though, might not really need it. Someone concerned about the price needed to play the game might want something more streamlined.

The cheapest way to play The Beatles: Rock Band is with an XBox 360 Arcade. And yes, you can get EVERYTHING you need to play the game for less than the cheapest PS3. You can get everything PLUS Rock Band 1 and 2 for less than the cheapest PS3. That doesn't mean that YOU might not have a good reason to prefer the PS3, but if cost is the primary concern, a console that costs twice as much as the cheapest console on the market just isn't the best option.

Die-Guitar-Hero is right, this feels like a big box store with everyone trying to upsell the guy.
  • DaemiusDaemius Petal Power
    edited May 2009
    Die-Guitar-Hero;2374888 said:
    Why are you all trying to sell him a Blu-ray player? Good God, I feel like I am at Best Buy or something. He made it clear all he wanted was the game.
    The Xbox guy threw out the fanboy insult first. As a neutral party, and I'm always the neutral party so obviously I'm infallible :D, I declare Microsoft fanboys at fault here :p
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375059 said:
    Then he should buy a Wii.
    Wii's are more expensive than the low-storage 360s. And I'm sure the Wii version will be neutered in some way.
    edited May 2009
    zeoavenger;2375066 said:
    Both of your ideas are dumb as hell.

PS3 is too expensive and buying a RB1 kit is ******ed because the instruments are garbage.

Wii = $250 and Xbox360 = $200. Which one is less?
    Again all your thinking about is price. The Wii is smaller and easier to use. It's WORTH the extra 50 bucks. You have to take worth in consideration as well not just cheap.
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375097 said:
    Again all your thinking about is price. The Wii is smaller and easier to use. It's WORTH the extra 50 bucks. You have to take worth in consideration as well not just cheap.
    Wii games have low-grade graphics and games I'm sure a 58-year-old won't be interested in. All systems have their strengths and weaknesses that even out, so he might as well get the cheapest option, the 360 arcade.
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Yeah the OP asked for the absolute cheapest way to get into RB Beatles. Fact is that the xbox arcade is the cheapest. The OP did not ask for you to pitch him the PS3 as if you worked for Sony.
  • zeoavengerzeoavenger Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375097 said:
    I have both consoles and both are very easy to use. **** isn't rocket science.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    edited May 2009
    Death50;2375144 said:
    PS2 anyone?
    It's not coming out for PS2.
  • DaemiusDaemius Petal Power
    edited May 2009
    PCTraitor;2375135 said:
    Yeah the OP asked for the absolute cheapest way to get into RB Beatles. Fact is that the xbox arcade is the cheapest. The OP did not ask for you to pitch him the PS3 as if you worked for Sony.
    There was no pitching, she was simply listing off why you would want to invest more in a PS3. He may not know that game systems do other things than play games. I'm sure he likes to watch movies, maybe he didn't know he could a blu ray player that can play video games in addition to blu ray for cheaper than a friggin' blu ray player. You guys need to just chill.
    edited May 2009
    onduvalst;2375097 said:
    A Wii isn't easier to use than an XBox. It really isn't. Smaller, sure, but again the OP was concerned first with cost. There ARE reasons to prefer a Wii to a PS3 or 360. Cost is not a reason to prefer it the XBox, though, because the Arcade costs 20% less. All some people think about IS price. Which is fine. The XBox has the lowest buy-in price for current consoles. There are other factors to consider, but everyone's priorities are going to be different. Putting a high priority on affordability is perfectly reasonable and should be respected instead of insisting on trying to upsell someone.
    edited May 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2375117 said:
    Wii games have low-grade graphics and games I'm sure a 58-year-old won't be interested in. All systems have their strengths and weaknesses that even out, so he might as well get the cheapest option, the 360 arcade.
    I'm sorry, I really don't care what he picks as long as he is happy, but I can not recommend a console that has such poor quality control issues and it's not just the rrod. The disc tray sucks as well, both the Wii and PS3 don't have this problem. I have had only one but I never play it. One friend has went through 6, yes 6 360's. Another 4 and just yesterday another friends RRODed. It's worth the extra 50 bucks for the Wii.

This is my last post in this thread, this shouldn't have become a debate.:(