Alternative Setlist

Epi_LepiEpi_Lepi Rising Star
edited May 2009 in Your Ultimate Setlist
I've been involved with the community Indie/Altrock list for a while, but I wanted to post my perfect alternative setlist, just for fun :D

Just a warning, I tend to define Alternative a bit looser than some people. And I'm definitely missing some bands that a lot of people would say are essential but I haven't listened to them yet so I won't include them (Pavement and Vampire Weekend etc.)

So here it goes:

Alice In Chains - Rooster
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
The Arctic Monkeys - 505
Audioslave - The Curse
Bauhaus - The Sanity Assassin
Beck - Earthquake Weather
Bedouin Soundclash - Until We Burn in the Sun (The Kids Just Want a Love Song)
Belly - Gepetto
Blind Melon - No Rain
Blur - On Your Own
Born Ruffians - Kurt Vonnegut
Broken Social Scene - Cause = Time
Built To Spill - Center of the Universe
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - In This Home On Ice
Colplay - Talk
The Cranberries - Zombie
Crash Test Dummies - Swimming in Your Ocean
The Cribs - Men's Needs
The Cure - Push
Death Cab For Cutie - Soul Meets Body
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Dinosaur Jr. - Over Your Shoulder
Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
Editors - Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors
The Flaming Lips - She Don't Use Jelly
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Guided by Voices - The Best of Jill Hives
Handsome Furs - Snakes on the Ladder
Interpol - Evil
James - Laid
Jane's Addiction - Trip Away
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Head On
The Killers - Somebody Told Me
The Kooks - She Moves in Her Own Way
Marilyn Manson - Great Big White World
Midnight Oil - Bushfire
Modest Mouse - Trailer Trash
My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
The National - Abel
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost
Nirvana - Come As You Are
Oasis - Champagne Supernova
Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
Presidents of the United States of America - Naked and Famous
PiL - Seattle
Queens Of The Stone Age - No One Knows
Radiohead - High and Dry
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
R.E.M. - What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Rilo Kiley - Portions For Foxes
Screaming Trees - Witness
The Shins - Sleeping Lessons
Silversun Pickups - Future Foe Scenarios
The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush
Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place(Naive Melody)
Weezer - Only in Dreams
Wolf Parade - Shine a Light
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Y Control

Comments

• FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    i voted Love it, but i don't understand some of the song choices. especially those for Radiohead, Jane's Addiction, Beck, & Audioslave.

honestly, High & Dry is probably my least wanted Radiohead song in RB (maybe except for Pop Is Dead).
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    I would have chosen a different Depeche Mode song.
  • Epi_LepiEpi_Lepi Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    I've only listened to Radiohead's first three albums and I'm trying to stay away from songs from OK Computer. Not denying it's a good album but I haven't listened to it enough times to really pick a favorite from it.

Jane's Addiction was simple, Nothing's Shocking is already in Rock Band, and the whole Ritual de lo Habitual album is overrated, the only song I like is Three Days, and I wouldn't want a 10 minute song on the setlist. Strays was also pretty eh.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    High And Dry is a really slow acoustic guitar driven song. It wouldn't really be all that fun on anything but vocals for RB.

Otherwise, awesome list. I'd complain about the lack of Pavement, but you explained that.
    edited May 2009
    It's no slower than Wonderwall and I like that one on guitar. On my real guitar I much prefer playing acoustic chord progressions than anything else, I don't see it being any less fun in the game.

EDIT: It might be worth it for me to point out that while I play expert guitar when I'm solo, with company I usually sing, so that might make some of my choices clearer.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited May 2009
    Personally, I would choose a different Alice in Chains song. If "Rooster" is your favorite though, I can't convince you otherwise.
  • cfgenesiscfgenesis Unsigned
    edited May 2009
    Everyone has their preferences but I have to agree that another Radiohead song needs to have a little more edge to it than High & Dry. No reason to stay away from OK Computer, but even with that limitation, Planet Telex or Just would be better songs for RB. I like the inclusion of the Editors, as they are a great band, and Evil by Interpol is a great song. For Coldplay I think I would love to play God Put A Smile On Your Face more than any of their other songs.
    edited May 2009
    cfgenesis;2381051 said:
    Everyone has their preferences but I have to agree that another Radiohead song needs to have a little more edge to it than High & Dry. No reason to stay away from OK Computer, but even with that limitation, Planet Telex or Just would be better songs for RB. I like the inclusion of the Editors, as they are a great band, and Evil by Interpol is a great song. For Coldplay I think I would love to play God Put A Smile On Your Face more than any of their other songs.
    That's true, but I believe there are a bunch of better songs for Rock Band than "Rooster". That's my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right, but I would rather see "Sea of Sorrow", "I Stay Away", or "Dam That River" instead and think those would be better to play.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited May 2009
    I like it as well, but I would prefer different songs for some bands. I also miss two of my favorite bands - Mew and Sigur R
    edited May 2009
    [QUOTE=Coldplayer;2381091]I like it as well, but I would prefer different songs for some bands. I also miss two of my favorite bands - Mew and Sigur R
  • SlantedenchantedSlantedenchanted Unsigned
    edited May 2009
    Errmmm, i dunno. Needs some Pavement, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, The Telescopes, Bowery Electric, Chapterhouse, Ride and Lush for me.
  • camero1970camero1970 Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    Epi_Lepi;2380526 said:
    I've only listened to Radiohead's first three albums and I'm trying to stay away from songs from OK Computer. Not denying it's a good album but I haven't listened to it enough times to really pick a favorite from it.

Jane's Addiction was simple, Nothing's Shocking is already in Rock Band, and the whole Ritual de lo Habitual album is overrated, the only song I like is Three Days, and I wouldn't want a 10 minute song on the setlist. Strays was also pretty eh.

my friend.. just because is the best song by janes addiction.. that or been caught stealing.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    Slantedenchanted;2381186 said:
    Errmmm, i dunno. Needs some Pavement, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, The Telescopes, Bowery Electric, Chapterhouse, Ride and Lush for me.
    My Bloody Valentine is on there, but I agree with most of those bands. Especially Lush and Ride.

Also needs Mew, as Coldplayer said.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited May 2009
    Look at my sig. Yeah, I hate it.
  • azzaman333azzaman333 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    It's alright, but a lot of the songs you picked wouldn't be a great choice of song from the band.
    edited May 2009
    I wasn't gonna revive this, but I want to know why the people who think the songs I picked wouldn't be a good fit think that. Why specifically. If you don't have anything specific to say, keep your mouth shut. And I don't care what bands you think should be there, I put every alternative band I listen to on the list. There are a lot I haven't listened to yet, but I am planning on it. So don't bother telling me what band you wish was on my list, tell me what you think specifically of what's on my list.
    edited May 2009
    I skipped over any that I don't know or agree with, but some things I would change are;

The Arctic Monkeys - 505 (I would've gone with either I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor or Brianstorm)
    Editors - Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors (An End Has a Start would be much more fun to play)
    Midnight Oil - Bushfire (If you're choosing a Midnight Oil song, it'd have to be Power and the Passion)
    The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (it's a bit dull for a rhythm game. Bullet with Butterfly Wings would be better)

Those were the 4 that stuck out most, at least from songs/bands I knew. A common theme between them seems to be that they don't sound like they'd be fun to play in Rock Band, so I guess I assumed that it applied over most of the setlist.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2009
    Could use better Beck, Depeche Mode, RHCP, Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins, and Blur choices, but it's a good list nonetheless. I like it, but I don't love it.
    edited May 2009
    What I want to know is why you don't think it'd be fun for a rhythm game. I suspect that you people who don't actually play a real instrument don't understand that fast and loud is not the only way for a song to be fun. I'm biased to vocal and guitar parts cause that's what I do in real life and in the game, but I listen to exactly what's going on in these parts, and I'm sure I know better than a casual listener what's going on in them. Azzaman, I can accept that we define fun different for a rhythm game because I have no clue why you think those songs wouldn't be fun, but your logic is just stupid, you don't agree with 4 songs so you assume the whole list is like that.
    edited May 2009
    Those were the 4 bands I felt qualified enough to comment on. There were quite a few other songs which I thought weren't great, but didn't comment on them because I didn't feel comfortable on it.

However, I certainly feel that the faster songs are generally more fun to play. 1979, Smokers and 505 are fairly slow songs, whereas the alternatives I mentioned are faster and have more energy in them. The slower songs don't do it for me, especially not in Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Bushfire vs Power and the Passion, it has to be PatP because it has an epic drum solo in the middle of it.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited May 2009
    Smokers is Editors best song IMO and definitely not slow.
    edited May 2009
    Whilst Smokers is my favourite Editors song, I still feel End has a Start would be more fun in RB.
    edited May 2009
    What album is Power and Passion from? I don't seem to have that one. I'm just gonna have to keep disagreeing on the tempo thing, the only alternative song I don't like to play because of boredom in RB is El Scorcho. I actually enjoy PDA unlike most people it seems.
    edited May 2009
    Power and the Passion is from 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Also, it's not that slower songs can't be fun to play, but that a faster song is generally more fun to play than a slower one in my experience.
  • NormanCoxwellNormanCoxwell Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    I love it! its great. Love most of those songs.