Real Drummer Advice

DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
edited May 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
So I have a 7 year old boy who's decided he was going to be the drummer when I play RB.

After a few weeks, he'd finished the ESL on medium solo, and is now working on hard drums (he's gotten 95% + on Painkiller and Welcome To The Neighborhood).

It's been a really great opportunity for us to spend time together and share things:

Him: I like metal. I like Visions. It's yell-ey.

Me: Really? That's very interesting. Now, get out of my house!

Anyhow, he seems to be really into playing drums and he seems to have some talent at it. At least, a ton more talent than I do. We're getting ready to have him take piano (we figure piano should be the gateway to any musical instrument, as it helps with coordination and learning to read music) and I was wondering if someone could give some advice on where to go drum-wise after that. I wouldn't want to get him some huge kit because he's little and he might lose interest, but I do want to encourage him if he has a genuine interest.

Comments

• tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited May 2009
    Start with this:

Snare
    3 toms
    Crash
    Hi-hat
    Bass

It's the basic starter kit.

Also, I would commend my 7 year old for liking metal.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Good to hear that he's got some interest in drumming.

If you look around, you can typically find good deals on a basic starter kit with a snare, hi-hat, bass, crash/ride, rack tom and floor tom. You could also get him a practice pad for practicing rudiments.

It might also be a good idea for him to take some lessons, so that he doesn't develop bad habits that will be hard to break later on.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, see if you can find a local hand percussion class or something. It's where I went.
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    JesusSilencio;2425837 said:

It might also be a good idea for him to take some lessons, so that he doesn't develop bad habits that will be hard to break later on.
    That's what we'd plan on doing if he stuck with piano for a bit. At least long enough to show that he's willing to give up some time each week to try and learn an instrument, even if it's not the piano. :) If he's got enough in him to try the one, we'd get him started on the other. I just didn't know what you could buy when that started. Are practice pads, like real drum heads, or do they not make noise?
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    DerTommissar;2425874 said:
    That's what we'd plan on doing if he stuck with piano for a bit. At least long enough to show that he's willing to give up some time each week to try and learn an instrument, even if it's not the piano. :) If he's got enough in him to try the one, we'd get him started on the other. I just didn't know what you could buy when that started. Are practice pads, like real drum heads, or do they not make noise?
    I was thinking one of the remo practice pads (link). They make some noise, but not as much as a regular snare drum.
  • ThrobingCaneThrobingCane Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    I started around his age too (5-6). Its probably a good idea to have him take lessons through a community ed program. At such a young age its probably not best if he jump right into a real kit because he might get flustered or something, I would have him learn snare drum first just so he gets his rythem down and it will also help him decide if he wants to go further in drumming.