a genre's finest moment.

afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
edited July 2009 in History of Rock
i talked about doing this ages ago, but lost interest after a few days... there are lots of holes that will probably not be filled in, but we'll see.

here's my attempt (and damn this is hard, but i'm gonna make sure there's as little overlap in artists/songs as possible) to pick a few of my absolute favorites... not all of these are necessarily genres of music, but you get the picture...

pop albums: beach boys - pet sounds, jens lekman - night falls over kortedala, and the magnetic fields - i
pop songs: orchestral manoeuvres in the dark - enola ***, tommy james & the shondells - sweet cherry wine, and blondie - dreaming

classic rock and oldies albums: david bowie - hunky dory, bruce springsteen - born to run, and queen - a night at the opera
classic rock and oldies songs: tom petty - yer so bad, roy orbison - cryin', and elton john - crocodile rock

psychedelic rock albums: bardo pond - ticket crystals, ariel pink's haunted graffiti - doldrums, the millenium - begin, six organs of admittance - school of the flower, and kaleidoscope - tangerine dream

krautrock albums: paternoster - self titled, agitation free - malesch, and annexus quam - osmose

space rock albums: spacemen 3 - taking drugs..., hum - downward is heavenward, and spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen...

punk albums: dead kennedys - plastic surgery disaster, minutemen - double nickels on the dime, the mob - let the tribe increase, rudimentary peni - death church, and wipers - is this real?
punk songs: the germs - manimal, dead boys - sonic reducer, and the mob - our life our world

crust punk albums: amebix - arise!, discharge - hear nothing see nothing say nothing, and axegrinder - rise of the serpent men

post-punk albums: husker du - new day rising, joy division - unknown pleasures, the chameleons - strange times, television - marquee moon, and swans - white light from the mouth of infinity
post-punk songs: the jesus & mary chain - head on, suicide - dream baby dream, and the smiths - i know it's over

hardcore punk albums: black flag - damaged, gehenna - the war of the sons of light and the suns of darkness, dead kennedys - plastic surgery disasters, zegota - movement in the music, and the spectacle - i, fail

post-hardcore albums: tired from now on - romantic, drive like jehu - yank crime, and fugazi - 13 songs

emo albums: moss icon - lyburnum, saetia - a retrospective, city of caterpillar - self titled, envy - insomniac doze, and orchid - chaos is me
emo songs: i hate myself - to a husband at war, gauge means nothing - pilgrims, still life - breathe, the hated - hey mister, and the saddest landscape - the sixth golden ticket

alternative rock albums: pixies - doolittle, sonic youth - daydream nation, and the cure - disintegration
alternative rock songs: nirvana - aneurysm, smashing pumpkins - muzzle, and radiohead - let down

post-rock albums: godspeed you black emperor! - lift your skinny fists, have a nice life - deathconsciousness, and a silver mt zion - he has left us alone

hip-hop songs: why? - the vowels pt 2, dr dre - nuthin' but a g thang, and NWA - express yourself

jazz albums: peter brotzmann - machine gun, miles davis - *****es brew, alice coltrane - universal consciousness, sun ra - space is the place, and don cherry - brown rice

industrial albums: einsturzende neubauten - silence is sexy, godflesh - streetcleaner, head of david - self titled, o.l.d. - lo flux tube, and factrix - artifact

noise/noise-rock albums: prurient - body language, lightning bolt - wonderful rainbow, orthrelm - ov, panicsville - sterile, and wolf eyes - dead hills

drone albums: charalambides - houston, la monte young - theatre of eternal music, and thuja - all strange beasts of the past

classical albums: terry riley - in c, steve reich - phases, john cage - in a landscape, john luther adams - the light that fills the world, and gavin bryars - the sinking of the titanic

folk albums: simon & garfunkel - parsley sage rosemary & thyme, mountain goats - tallahassee, and vashti bunyan - just another diamond day

funk albums: funkadelic - maggot brain, budos band - II, and james brown - hell

traditional/proto metal albums: black sabbath - masters of reality, judas priest - painkiller, blue cheer - vincebus eruptem, granicus - self titled, and ozzy osbourne - blizzard of ozz

traditional/proto metal songs: iron maiden - loneliness of the long distance runner, rainbow - stargazer, and leaf hound - freelance fiend

hair metal songs: poison - fallen angel, skid row - 18 and life, pretty boy floyd - i wanna be with you, faster pussycat - house of pain, and w.a.s.p. - wild child

progressive metal albums: voivod - nothingface, hammers of misfortune - the august engine, and queensryche - operation: mindcrime

metalcore albums: catharsis - passion, starkweather - into the wire, integrity - humanity is the devil, cursed - ii, and botch - american nervoso

sludge albums: neurosis - times of grace, damad - rise and fall, torche - meanderthal, conifer - self titled, and rwake - voices of omens

thrash metal albums: aura noir - black thrash attack, coroner - mental vortex, metallica - master of puppets, kreator - pleasure to kill, and metal church - self titled

death metal albums: cadaver - necrosis, portal - seepia, autopsy - mental funeral, carcass - symphonies of sickness, and gorguts - obscura

grindcore albums: assuck - anticapital, circle of dead children - starving the vultures, morser - 10.000 bad guys dead, systral - fever, and repulsion - horrified

doom metal albums: nortt - gudsforladt, sunn O))) - black one, electric wizard - dopethrone, mourning beloveth - dust, and earth - 2

black metal albums: darkthrone - transilvanyan hunger, weakling - dead as dreams, peste noire - la sanie des siecles, lurker of chalice - self titled, and wolves in the throne room - two hunters

progressive rock albums: gentle giant - self titled, caravan - in the land of grey and pink, magma - mekanik destruktiw kommandoh, guapo - elixirs, and triumvirat - spartacus

shoegaze albums: slowdive - souvlaki, m83 - before the dawn heals us, ride - nowhere, my bloody valentine - loveless, and galaxie 500 - on fire

disco songs: gino soccio - turn it around, dinosaur l - go bang!, abba - dancing queen, cristina - what's a girl to do, and kano - baby not tonight

electronica albums: echospace - the coldest season, matmos - a chance to cut is a chance to cure, add n to (x) - avant hard, intrusion - the seduction of silence, and mouse on mars - niun niggung

Comments

• Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited May 2009
    Of the two genres Id say Im heavily invested in (thrash and death) I cant say I agree but they are your favorites and I do applaud your efforts.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    I can't do this in detail yet, (I might later)...

... But music as a whole finest moment is the release of Insane Clown Posse's debut album.
  • dabears116dabears116 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    instantdeath999;2442354 said:
    I can't do this in detail yet, (I might later)...

... But music as a whole finest moment is the release of Insane Clown Posse's debut album.
    Fred Durst disagrees.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2009
    I definitely like the albums within the genres I'm familiar with. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with most death metal, grindcore, black metal, or industrial, but the other choices were excellent, and the ones I'm not familiar with, I'll definitely check out. I especially liked your space rock and jazz album picks, but that's probably because I'm currently on a huge space rock and jazz phase right now. Spiritualized, Hum, Spacemen 3, Alice Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Sun Ra were my favorites within those genres.
  • edited May 2009
    How aren't there albums from the Sex Pistols, the Clash and Ramones under punk?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2009
    This is a fun idea for a thread. I'm not terribly familiar with many of the songs or albums you listed in the OP, stasis, but of the ones I do recognize I agree with all of your choices. The pop, "classic rock" (especially Elton John - he simply never gets enough credit as a composer, pianist, and singer), and post-punk selections are spot on.

I'll share a few of my opinions, too:

Rock n' Roll Songs: Fats Domino - Ain't That A Shame, Little Richard - Ready Teddy, Elvis Presley - Blue Suede Shoes, Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire, Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley

Pop Songs: Elvis Presley - Surrender, The Cardigans - Lovefool, ABBA - SOS, Madonna - Burning Up & Like A Prayer, Alannah Myles - Black Velvet, Roy Orbison - You Got It, Elton John - Levon, Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer, Moby - Southside
    Pop Albums: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill, Elton John - Madman Across The Water & Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Daft Punk - Discovery, Peter Gabriel - So, Blondie - Parallel Lines

New Wave Songs: Heaven 17 - Let Me Go, Peter Schilling - Major Tom, Duran Duran - Rio, Tom Tom Club - Genius Of Love, Depeche Mode - See You, Talking Heads - Uh Oh, Love Comes To Town, OMD - If You Leave, The B-52s - Devil In My Car, The Style Council - My Ever Changing Moods, The Blow Monkeys - Digging Your Scene, Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio, Madness - One Step Beyond, Devo - Snowball, Bow Wow Wow - Do You Wanna Hold Me?, Adam Ant - Antmusic, Siouxsie & The Banshees - Cities in Dust (Debateable), Oingo Boingo - Who Do You Want To Be
    New Wave Albums: The Cars - Self-titled, Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward, Devo - Freedom of Choice, The B-52s - Self-titled & Wild Planet, Suicide - Self-titled, Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True, The Rezillos - Can't Stand The Rezillos, Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad

Punk Albums: The Jam - Setting Sons, The Dickies - The Incredible Shrinking Dickies, Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo, Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs and Stories, X - More Fun In The New World, The Damned - Damned Damned Damned, Blondie - Eat To The Beat

I believe I went a tad overboard with the New Wave section. It's just such an expansive genre I can't limit my choices to just a couple of picks.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    afterstasis;2442306 said:
    joy division - unknown pleasures
    black flag - damaged
    pixies - doolittle, sonic youth - daydream nation, and the cure - disintegration

radiohead - let down

YES!!!! i love that song so much!!!!

also Post-Rock, you could have included a Sigur Ros album, they have done so much for that genre and should be acknowledged, at the least Agaetis bryjun or ()
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    neckermanncj;2442693 said:

also Post-Rock, you could have included a Sigur Ros album, they have done so much for that genre and should be acknowledged, at the least Agaetis bryjun or ()
    if i had expanded the post-rock albums section to 5 i'm pretty sure "agaetis" would've been on there.

i was practicing a lot of restraint with these so i didn't end up with 10+ picks for each little subgenre.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2442675 said:
    How aren't there albums from the Sex Pistols, the Clash and Ramones under punk?
    Because they are his picks. I don't believe he is big on the Clash anyways.
    edited May 2009
    timmay9;2442829 said:
    i like a handful of their tunes, but i'm not much of a fan... i hate the sex pistols, but do really enjoy the ramones.
    edited May 2009
    afterstasis;2442844 said:
    i like a handful of their tunes, but i'm not much of a fan... i hate the sex pistols, but do really enjoy the ramones.
    What part do you hate about them? The made-up image, Malcolm, Sid, or just the music itself? I've always found the music to just be good fun, stuff to blast, not deeply get into.
  • edited May 2009
    timmay9;2442829 said:
    That still leaves the Sex Pistols and Ramones

EDIT: didn't see the posts above. He hates the Sex Pistols lol
    edited May 2009
    timmay9;2442859 said:
    What part do you hate about them? The made-up image, Malcolm, Sid, or just the music itself? I've always found the music to just be good fun, stuff to blast, not deeply get into.
    yeah, just the music... it all sounds really dull to me, topped off with rotten's awful vocals...

when it comes to british punk from that time period i'll have me some buzzcocks instead! :)
    edited May 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2442862 said:
    That still leaves the Sex Pistols and Ramones

EDIT: didn't see the posts above. He hates the Sex Pistols lol
    While I like them, hating on them is personally reasonable. They weren't the band they claimed to be. Their only album was a purely studio creation, Sid didn't actually play, Malcolm squeezed every dollar he could, etc.

Edit: On Nevermind... Rotten's vocals had definitely turned to sh1t. Buzzcocks are awesome too.
  • edited May 2009
    The Buzzcocks are awesome. They are my 2nd favorite British punk rock band from that time period.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited May 2009

progressive metal albums: voivod - nothingface
    it's things like this that remind me how great you are
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited May 2009

crust punk albums: amebix - arise!, discharge - hear nothing see nothing say nothing

post-rock albums: godspeed you black emperor! - lift your skinny fists

hip-hop songs: dr dre - nuthin' but a g thang, and NWA - express yourself

progressive metal albums: voivod - nothingface,

thrash metal albums: coroner - mental vortex,

death metal albums: autopsy - mental funeral, carcass - symphonies of sickness, and gorguts - obscura

doom metal albums: nortt - gudsforladt, sunn O))) - black one, electric wizard - dopethrone, mourning beloveth - dust, and earth - 2

black metal albums: darkthrone - transilvanyan hunger, peste noire - la sanie des siecles, and wolves in the throne room - two hunters
    All of those I agree, especially ones in bold. The inclusion of Peste Noire makes me happy :D
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2442889 said:
    The Buzzcocks are awesome. They are my 2nd favorite British punk rock band from that time period.
    Who's your first?
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited May 2009

krautrock albums: paternoster - self titled, agitation free - malesch, and annexus quam - osmose

space rock albums: spacemen 3 - taking drugs..., hum - downward is heavenward, and spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen...

progressive metal albums: voivod - nothingface, hammers of misfortune - the august engine, and queensryche - operation: mindcrime
    Yes love it :D

Hope you don't mind I add some 4th wave Prog. albums

4th wave progressive rock: Echolyn - As The World, The Flower Kings - Flower Power, and Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
    edited May 2009
    Fizzeler;2444467 said:
    Yes love it :D

Hope you don't mind I add some 4th wave Prog. albums

4th wave progressive rock: Echolyn - As The World, The Flower Kings - Flower Power, and Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
    it's actually odd i didn't make it to prog rock overall, nor shoegaze... i'm sure i'll get bored one day and finish the list.
    edited May 2009
    afterstasis;2444498 said:
    it's actually odd i didn't make it to prog rock overall, nor shoegaze... i'm sure i'll get bored one day and finish the list.
    I just did 4th wave for you (although there are maybe 1 or 2 albums I would add like A Place In The Queue and a Spock's Beard album)

I would like to see your Prog. choices personally (expecting Zappa though ;))
    edited May 2009
    Fizzeler;2444542 said:
    I just did 4th wave for you (although there are maybe 1 or 2 albums I would add like A Place In The Queue and a Spock's Beard album)

I would like to see your Prog. choices personally (expecting Zappa though ;))
    oh, i dig zappa quite a lot but he wouldn't be there for me...

if i finish some things early today i'll try to work on the list, at least the prog spots.
    edited May 2009
    afterstasis;2444571 said:

if i finish some things early today i'll try to work on the list, at least the prog spots.
    Magma?

I dig their debut album :cool:
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Shoegazer/Dream Pop Albums: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless, Slowdive - Souvlaki, Ride - Nowhere, Lush - Split
    Shoegazer/Dream Pop Songs: My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When, Ride - Vapour Trail, Curve - Horror Head, Lush - Desire Lines
    edited May 2009
    Parodygm;2444663 said:
    Shoegazer/Dream Pop Albums: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless, Slowdive - Souvlaki, Ride - Nowhere, Lush - Split
    yeah, basically...
    i'd also throw in galaxie 500's "on fire" and swap the lush album with "gala" or maybe m83's "before the dawn heals us".
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited May 2009
    afterstasis;2444571 said:

i'd like to see those ;)

i'd expect some Amon Düül II :cool:
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    afterstasis;2444683 said:
    yeah, basically...
    i'd also throw in galaxie 500's "on fire" and swap the lush album with "gala" or maybe m83's "before the dawn heals us".
    I think I'd find a way to sneak in Curve's [I]Doppelg
    edited May 2009
    yeah, i always forget about "gala" being a collection... i suppose i'd have to settle for "spooky". i do enjoy "split" as well, of course.

however, i'm not really into curve or the catherine wheel... i love the boo radleys, moose, and swervedriver though.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited May 2009
    instantdeath999;2442354 said:

a landmark in history..
    edited May 2009
    a21schizoidman;2446190 said:

i'd expect some Amon Düül II :cool:
    I need more from those guys :D