Someone should conduct a study on RB:DLC song exposure

RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
edited May 2009 in Rock Band
Every week new DLC is announced for Rock Band , and every week I run to YouTube to check out the new tracks. It never fails that the newest comments on the songs are always Rock Band related.

I was just curious how much of a viewer spike the videos get just from being announced as DLC , and not only that , but how many bands actually see a sudden rise in sales after being featured in Rock Band.

Comments

• DaytripDaytrip Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    I would say it has an impact for sure. I haven't gotten around to it but I'll pick up some Bang Camaro and I had never heard of them prior to Rock Band.

I grabbed Future Future Future Perfect from Freezepop only because of hearing "Brain Power" in Rock Band. Of course it didn't hurt that there are tracks titled "Ninja of Love" and "Do You Like My Wang?"...how can you pass on word play like that?

I'm curious if any Radio Stations have been paying attention to Rock Band track lists or DLC. Might give them an indicator as to what music people are buying.
  • pacifistWITHgunpacifistWITHgun Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Daytrip;2453796 said:

I'm curious if any Radio Stations have been paying attention to Rock Band track lists or DLC. Might give them an indicator as to what music people are buying.
    The local alternative station up here did a "top 50 Rock Band/Guitar Hero songs to play" thing last May... I think the top RB songs were Say It Ain't So, Maps and Enter Sandman... This was about a year ago and they didn't include DLC though...
  • bubblegumpopbubblegumpop Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    yea it does, in both ways for me though. I loved freezepop on the games but when I bought their cd...snoozeville.
  • ReverseEngineerReverseEngineer Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    Whenever I listen to the radio, especially something like Jack FM, they tend to lean heavily on RB/Guitar Hero songs. It's a little silly, since there's millions of other songs out there...
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited May 2009
    Renrock;2453319 said:
    Every week new DLC is announced for Rock Band , and every week I run to YouTube to check out the new tracks. It never fails that the newest comments on the songs are always Rock Band related.

I was just curious how much of a viewer spike the videos get just from being announced as DLC , and not only that , but how many bands actually see a sudden rise in sales after being featured in Rock Band.
    I'll tell ya what, you get one of my band's songs into RB and I'll tell you exactly how much influence it has in album sales, iTunes sales, Youtube views, etc. ;)
  • impendingdoomimpendingdoom Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    I have always said that I will know that Rockband has real influence when I hear GG&HT on the radio. This weekend our local classic rock station is doing a top 500 classic rock songs of all time...number 486, Green Grass and High Tides. Though I think it belongs much higher than 486, but I have a RB related bias.

On a completely unrelated note:
    davidshek;2454134 said:
    I'll tell ya what, you get one of my band's songs into RB and I'll tell you exactly how much influence it has in album sales, iTunes sales, Youtube views, etc. ;)
    I think there are a lot of people here who would like to see that happen. I think there should be a poll: "would you like Wounded Soul in RB?" I would do it but I've never made a poll and I think I would screw it up.