Definineing your genre

AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
edited May 2009 in History of Rock
To those who play in bands or play instruments. When you started you know what genre you want to go for, but have you progressed in a different direction entirely. I wanted to do progressive, but as I keep writing and recording more songs I've realized that I sound more like Folk Rock with really strange and edgy sounds. How about you has that happened to you?

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    rather than aiming for specific genres, i'll typically just decide on things like instrumentation, writing methods, etc., and then when i feel like the songs have created their own identity i start worrying about things like band-name, art direction, etc.

i typically write and record songs before really officially starting a project, and can't say i've really aimed to play a specific genre in quite a while, though that seems to work for some people (a friend of mine immediately comes to mind; he can't seem to focus without doing so).
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited May 2009
    Kinda hard depends the mood I am in while deciding what to do. If I am in progressive mood then I start by trying to piece together a concept, but I can be in several different moods in a process and result in a song that has progressive lyrics and concept, blues guitar playing, metal drumming, progressive keyboards, and jazz bass. :D
  • edited May 2009
    Punk rock. Easy for me
  • dabears116dabears116 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2454745 said:
    Punk rock. Easy for me
    Did you even read the OP?
  • edited May 2009
    dabears116;2454753 said:
    Did you even read the OP?
    Yes I did. And the following replies
  • dabears116dabears116 Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    AKALink;2453958 said:
    When you started you know what genre you want to go for, but have you progressed in a different direction entirely. How about you has that happened to you?
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2454745 said:
    Punk rock. Easy for me
    I'm scratching my head.
  • edited May 2009
    dabears116;2454774 said:
    I'm scratching my head.
    Fine. No it really hasn't happened to me. I usually just play punk although sometimes I come up with alternative riffs on the guitar but I play bass so I don't really play guitar that much. Happy?
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited May 2009
    I think originally I also wanted to do progressive rock. However over time, I find it much more appealing to make rock songs with odd elements and Frank Zappa inspired lyrics. I'm still working on lyrics, but my definite songs so far are Radioactive Sex, The Great Nothing, and Toast Man.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    I don't really plan on doing anything specific while playing, excluding a few strange experiments, but most of what I play typically comes out as anything bluesy (swamp blues, blues punk, stoner doom, etc.), though sometimes I just screw around with generally uninspired, made-up-on-the-spot thrash riffs.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited May 2009
    I started out playing jazz and classic rock as thats what really young kids play under the direction of their parents. I dont play in a band anymore but hypothetically it would really depend on my band makeup. If I were a vocalist I would go for a thrash metal feel but if I were the guitarist I would learn towards tech bands.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2009
    It really depends on what instrument I'm playing. If I'm playing guitar or bass, which I usually do, I'll play with a fuzzy, heavily distorted tone similar to bands like Jesus and Mary Chain, BRMC, Black Mountain, Brian Jonestown Massacre, the Black Angels, and so on, and I'll usually actually play in a more bluesy style (BRMC is my big influences there, obviously). If I'm playing drums, piano, or sax (I do play piano a decent amount of time also) I'll tend to have a ton of jazz influence, if I'm playing keyboards, I'll usually end up with more new wave influence, and if I'm singing I'll sound a lot like Beck. Usually it doesn't even matter what kind of band I'm in, I'll always lean towards those influences.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2009
    The band I'm in at the moment doesn't have a genre because we just perform or write whatever we feel like doing at the time. We started off pretty directionless, appropriately enough, as all of the band members have a wide range of music interests.

Bet you're all surprised I'm not in a New Wave band, right? :D
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    I started out in a doom band but as our technique has increased we've started writing more tech/progy stuff. We still cover Candlemass every now and then though :)
  • BulkdarthdanBulkdarthdan Rising Star
    edited May 2009
    Me and my friends have slowly changed genres when we have jam sessions. Me and my friends started out playing metal, then slowing became alternative, and now my friend says we are the verge of becoming punk. xD We never have an understood genre.
  • ThrobingCaneThrobingCane Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    We started out wanting to be a groove metal band but as we jammed more and got used to every ones style we transformed into a tech death/thrash metal band. But we got a bass player that excels in funk so our style will yet again change.
  • rbandghpingurbandghpingu Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    I just play whatever motivates me, whether it be pop punk (Green Day) or hardcore (Black Flag).
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Runesmith;2456302 said:

Bet you're all surprised I'm not in a New Wave band, right?
    A nation mourns :D

Well, at least I do, seriously.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited May 2009
    Runesmith;2456302 said:
    The band I'm in at the moment doesn't have a genre because we just perform or write whatever we feel like doing at the time. We started off pretty directionless, appropriately enough, as all of the band members have a wide range of music interests.

Bet you're all surprised I'm not in a New Wave band, right? :D
    Not exactly, it might be a bit hard to get a band for that genre started. :)
    edited May 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2462131 said:
    Not exactly, it might be a bit hard to get a band for that genre started. :)
    damn 21st century, with it's lack of a prominent new wave scene.
  • vic rattleheadvic rattlehead Unsigned
    edited May 2009
    thrash metal but some times i play a little to slow and i need to speed it up
  • DethTungDethTung Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    My band has changed direction in possible styles. We've experimented with punk, alt-rock, a genre I invented called alt-funk which uses funk-based bass and lead guitars with more alt-rock based rhythm guitars, etc.
    edited May 2009
    I've decided to start going in a new direction:

Swamp Noise.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited May 2009
    Everything I write, I call goth. It doesn't matter what anyone else calls it. lol
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2009
    DethTung;2482427 said:
    a genre I invented called alt-funk which uses funk-based bass and lead guitars with more alt-rock based rhythm guitars, etc.
    Jane's Addiction beat you to that by over 20 years.
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited May 2009
    I just turn up the gain and play barre chords really fast. Who knows what that is called today?