Beatles Limited Edition Bundle Explanation?

tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm sure this has been discussed before over the last few months, but I tried searching and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

Why exactly is The Beatles Rock Band bundle $250? I mean, Rock Band 1 and 2 were $170 and came with a guitar, drums, and a mic. The Beatles game comes with a bass, drums, a mic, a mic stand, and a fake drum head to sit in front of the drums. How exactly does the mic stand and drum head tack on an extra $80?

Comments

• CataclysmoCataclysmo Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    The Rock Band 1 and 2 packages were called Special Edition, and there were no other bundles. Same thing for the Beatles, I guess.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Eh. I still don't get why a fake drum head, a mic stand, and the fact it's a Beatles game raises the price $80. It's not like the game itself (just the disc) costs more than $60. It's gonna be lame when the exclusive bundle stuff is a sheet of stickers or something.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    tdc002;2526971 said:
    Eh. I still don't get why a fake drum head, a mic stand, and the fact it's a Beatles game raises the price $80. It's not like the game itself (just the disc) costs more than $60. It's gonna be lame when the exclusive bundle stuff is a sheet of stickers or something.
    RB2 was $190. so it's $60 more, not $80.

Mic stand, I guess could say that runs for about $20, a drum head could run about $10. (not really sure) So there is this mysterious $30 "special content) that we are missing.

Perhaps free download of the Abbey Road album when it's released as DLC? ( I think that was the album, not sure.)
  • jl8ejl8e Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    I'm hoping for better build quality.

The RB2 bundle was, IIRC, more than the rb1 bundle, and it included wireless. This probably has higher licensing costs, but it isn't as good a deal. I'm only getting it because I can use a new drum kit and guitar, and I took advantage of the Best Buy 20% off offer of a couple of weeks ago.
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    kitlerc;2526998 said:

Mic stand, I guess could say that runs for about $20, a drum head could run about $10. (not really sure) So there is this mysterious $30 "special content) that we are missing.

Perhaps free download of the Abbey Road album when it's released as DLC? ( I think that was the album, not sure.)
    Golly, a mysterious $30. Say, have you noticed how the stand-alone guitars are retailing for $30 more than Rock Band 2. Weird coincidence!

There is no mystery here and absolutely NO reason to be pondering what things Harmonix is clearly not going to do to make the bundle "worth it". There is precisely NO reason to think they'll be bundling DLC with the Special Edition. I'll be thrilled to be wrong, but that doesn't mean there is any reason right now for that speculation and its only going to lead to people throwing tantrums in September when Harmonix doesn't give away personal phone calls from Ringo Starr with each bundle.

There is no mystery here. It comes with a mic stand, a drum cover, additional detailing on the drums, and a premium exclusive guitar which Harmonix had to spend money on developing and producing and which they won't be able to spread out over two years of releases and stand-alone products. If its not your thing, cool. They are releasing a stand-alone game, too, so awesome for you. But I don't want to hear anyone crying about how HMX "lied" when their fever dreams about whats going to be in the bundle don't come true.
  • dirty_bird32dirty_bird32 Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    the guitars are retailing for more than the rb2 strats, explains a bit but not the whole enchilada
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    I reserved just the game, along with the two additional guitars. I have no desire, nor do I have room, for another drum set to sit next to my Ions. The mic stand is easily purchasable by itself, and I doubt the "additional special content" will be anything worth spending money on the extra drum set (which is really the reason I opted not to get the SE). I'd rather spend it on the game and those two kick ass guitars.
  • minorleagueguyminorleagueguy Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    ....think about what you are paying for....it's THE BEATLES...that's what you are paying for. I reserved the game only. If I come home with another drum set and guitar, the wife will kill me...:rolleyes:
  • AndywinXpAndywinXp Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Yes, but they mentioned some special content. I hope it's some free DLC
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    By all accounts, EA/HMX take a beating on the hardware. The extra cost may reflect them trying to take less of a beating, profit-wise.

Oh, and it's the freaking Beatles.
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Maybe there's a t-shirt or something, but there won't be a 20-pack of DLC in the bundle. People should just stop dreaming of some pack of DLC as part of the bundle - otherwise they will be very disappointed. As mentioned, there is some extra cost in there for licensing the Beatles instruments over a generic Fender Strat design.
  • MaxMeanieMaxMeanie Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    im guessing the drum head is worth about 2 dollars. So obviously we are getting a gold plated mic stand. This whole thing is kind of annoying. I wish they would give us some more details soon. Will there be stand alone drum sets sold?(within 3 months of game release).

Stand alone RB2 drums do not exist anymore as i have been looking for a set for 6 months now. Finally found a RB1 set to replace my broken one. Of the new guitars coming out, Paul's bass is my least favorite. If I new they were coming out with a stand alone drum set I would gladly get that and the game and pick up the Gretsch later.

Either way can't wait for 9/9/9.
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Just look at the retail price of the main components.

TB:RB, $59.99
    RB2 wireless drum, $89.99
    Hofner Bass $99.99
    HMX Microphone $19.99

And you are already up to $269.96. In addition you get the "collectible" styling of the drum kit, a microphone stand and what ever other goodies they decide to throw in the box. It's definitely cheaper than buying the components separately.

From a collectors POV, if the Hofner remains LE it could actually increase in value (I know, many of the young-uns don't understand the power of Beatles collectibles).
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    tdc002;2526971 said:
    Liscensing fees my friend. ;) You want to make replica's of those iconic instruments and have The Beatles logo stamped on it you're gonna pay. I'm willing to bet the fees for these cost HMX considerbaly more than the standard RB1 or 2 bundles.
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited June 2009
    AndywinXp;2528197 said:
    Yes, but they mentioned some special content. I hope it's some free DLC
    Nice to hope but the "special" content is a book.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2009
    kitlerc;2526998 said:

All the Beatles Instruments are running at a premium, so it's simply a licensing issue and passing on the cost to the consumer.

But yes, it will have a Mic stand, drum head, and 2 authentic replica instruments (which may also simply be improved). Some people think there may be a wireless mic instead of a normal mic, and that could add to the cost as well.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Sure, here's your explanation:

A) The drums and Hofner Bass will NEVER be sold separately outside of that box, unlike all the other Rock Band bundled instruments.
    B) It's The Beatles.
    C) If you've got a problem with the extra price, don't buy it. I don't see what the big deal is.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited June 2009
    My guess is much more simple: they are releasing this game overseas as well as here(at the same time this time).

To help cover the shipping cost of sending them overseas(remember how the europeans got screwed with the pricing last time?), they are making the price more even across the board.

Finally the europeans have screwed us over instead of us screwing them over. Bully for them old chap(did I say that right?:p).
  • eddieraseddieras Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    what exactly is the drum head made up - is it a hard item that stands up or a cloth/ vinyl type thing that stretches across a frame of sorts?
  • BoondockerBoondocker Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Don't necropost!
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited September 2009
    tdc002;2526350 said:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before over the last few months, but I tried searching and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

Why exactly is The Beatles Rock Band bundle $250? I mean, Rock Band 1 and 2 were $170 and came with a guitar, drums, and a mic. The Beatles game comes with a bass, drums, a mic, a mic stand, and a fake drum head to sit in front of the drums. How exactly does the mic stand and drum head tack on an extra $80?
    60 - game
    90 - drums
    100 - guitar
    20 - mic
    15 - stand.

You save 35 bucks if you buy the bundle.

Now if you want to say that the guitar is over priced. Thats fine. Lets act like its a GHWT guitar:

60 - game
    90 - drums
    70 - guitar
    20 - mic
    15 - stand

You save 5 bucks.
  • edited September 2009
    eddieras;3028279 said:
    what exactly is the drum head made up - is it a hard item that stands up or a cloth/ vinyl type thing that stretches across a frame of sorts?
    Its like one of those instant pop-up sun shades.

Check 3:33 in this video.
  • eddieraseddieras Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    thanks - i got the game for a christmas but didn't want to open everything - i saw a small bag which looked like it might be the drum head - i better open it all up and make sure i got everything!
    thanks again
  • PhakurPhakur Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    OK--Drums are wireless, not wired, Paul wireless bass guitar (can be used for lead), some beatle pictures, a downloadable song when you finish the game, mic stand and wired mic.
  • NathanNRTNathanNRT Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    More than likely its to help cover the licensing fee to pay for use of The Beatles songs
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited September 2009
    Phakur;3032579 said:
    OK--Drums are wireless, not wired, Paul wireless bass guitar (can be used for lead), some beatle pictures, a downloadable song when you finish the game, mic stand and wired mic.
    A downloadable song when you finish the game?

'scuse me?