The Beatles: Rock Band...Could the Carnival of Light finally make an appearance?

gooby07gooby07 Unsigned
edited June 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
As some Beatles fans know, the Beatles recorded an almost 14 minute song titled "Carnival of Light". The song has never been released to the general public and very few own a copy of the song. In 1995, Paul mentioned finally releasing the song, but that plan eventually fizzled out. So with the unveiling of the Beatles Collection on 9/9/09 and the Beatles: Rock Band, could the song finally be released? Your thoughts?

Comments

• kaneruleskanerules Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Which John are you speaking of...cuz Lennon definitely wasn't around in 1995. ;)
  • gooby07gooby07 Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    Oh, sorry. I meant Paul. Oops.
  • GloiGloiGloiGloi Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    I can't see it happening on Rock Band. I think the best chance of it appearing would be in the documentary video accompanying the remastered Sgt. Pepper.
    I think it will make Revolution 9 sound melodic though.
  • sporkthrumyheartsporkthrumyheart Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    I really doubt it will be in TB:RB or even released at all for that matter. Paul had mentioned it again last year, but when they had first discussed releasing it during the Anthology era, George was in opposition. I don't think they would go against his wishes now.
  • AndywinXpAndywinXp Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    sporkthrumyheart;2548087 said:
    George was in opposition. I don't think they would go against his wishes now.
    George MARTIN ;)
    edited June 2009
    AndywinXp;2548092 said:
    George MARTIN ;)
    Clever. But no, Harrison. :p
    edited June 2009
    George H was in opposition of it coming out on the Anthology. He thought it was self indulgent, which it probably was to take up 14 minutes of a cd on avant garde experimentation. That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't want it to come out ever, anywhere. At least that's how I feel about it.
    George Martin just thinks it's rubbish.:D
    edited June 2009
    GloiGloi;2548130 said:
    George H was in opposition of it coming out on the Anthology. He thought it was self indulgent, which it probably was to take up 14 minutes of a cd on avant garde experimentation. That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't want it to come out ever, anywhere. At least that's how I feel about it.
    George Martin just thinks it's rubbish.:D
    Yeah, that makes sense. But I doubt Olivia would sign off on it if she knows that he was opposed to it, even if it was only in regards to its inclusion on Anthology. And I'm sure George Martin sees it as what happens when the boys get loose if you leave them alone for just one minute... ;)
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, maybe. Who knows though. Olivia could use the knowledge that Paul wants to release it as bargaining power for something of George's she wants out. I'm sure it all comes down to politics in the end.
    LOL at GM. Now then boys, settle down.
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that's true...you never know with those crazy Apple folks and their unreleased material.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited June 2009
    Might sound dumb but it could be up to Dhani Harrison. He WAS the one who convinced Apple do the whole project. That in of itself is amazing. If he can do that then I'm sure he could convince those opposed to release the song.
    edited June 2009
    Very true. It's incredible that Dhani has a lot of pull because this whole project wouldn't have happened without him, but at the same time, we don't know if he even wants the track to be released.
  • Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    We can hope for this, but I doubt we'll see this "song's" first appearance in Rock Band. Then again it could be bonus content that is revealed and gets even skeptical Beatles fans to run out and buy the game. So many possibilities remain with this game. I wish 09/09 would just get here so we can stop speculating and just play our favorite songs!
  • chillzatlchillzatl Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    why would they release a song for a rhythm game that has virtually no rhythm to it?
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited June 2009
    Carnival of Light is reportedly like Revolution 9 but even more weird. Why would anyone want to play, or even hear a song with that description? Lol. I'd rather have more unreleased stuff from their early/Hamburg days like from the first Anthology.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2009
    You realize that "song" was really a bunch of experimental noise, its not really a song at all. From what I read Revolution 9 has more melody in it. I really doubt it will be on Rock Band since it is not a real song in the sense of rhythm and melody.

RockingVicar: Just one last question - "Carnival Of Light," does it actually exist?

Paul McCartney: It does exist, yeah. We recorded it in about fifteen minutes. It's very avant garde - as George would say 'avant garde a clue' - and George did not like it 'cos he doesn't like avant garde music .

RV: Who wrote it?

PM: It's officially me. I instigated it. No there's no lyrics, it's avant garde music. You would class it as ... well you wouldn't class it actually, but it would come in the Stockhausen/John Cage bracket ... John Cage would be the nearest . It's very free-form. Yeah man, it's the coolest piece of music since sliced bread!

RV: This is early '67?

PM: I was asked about '67 to do it by Barry Miles - you know, who did my book Many Years From Now - and he asked me to do it for this event at The Roundhouse called Carnival Of Light, so that's how it got its title. And he asked me to write a fifteen to twenty minute piece, and I was into that kind of thing, not on record with The Beatles, but just for that. I went into the studio and said to the guys, Look we've got half an hour before the session officially starts, would you mind terribly if I did this thing?

RV: So this is with the other Beatles?

PM: With the other Beatles. This is a Beatle record. And they all just fell in with the spirit of it and I just said, Would you go on that and would you stay on that and would you be on that and we'll just take twenty minutes to do it in real time? And they all just got into it.

RV: Why don't you release it?

PM: I actually have a project I would like ... I'm involved ... One of the many things I did, I did a thing called The Grateful Dead Photo Film, using Linda's snapshots and making them move, dissolving between them and making them into a film, a short art film, which I showed at festivals and things. And I'm actually in the process - although everything else and its uncle is holding it up - but I've got a Beatles photo film on the go and I would love to use it as part of the soundtrack of that.

RV: There was a rumour it was going to come out on Anthology. What happened with that?

PM: It was up for consideration on The Anthology and George vetoed it. He didn't like it. Maybe its time hadn't come.

Also:
    Geoff Emerick said: Looking back, I guess that everyone was tripping his brains out that night, but we didn't know it then. When John started shouting "Barcelona" repeatedly in one of his Goon-like voices, Phil and I were doubled over in laughter. That line, and other bits and pieces from that night's sessions, were later used in the sound pastiche "Revolution 9" on the White Album.
  • miche.csmiche.cs Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2548312 said:
    Carnival of Light is reportedly like Revolution 9 but even more weird. Why would anyone want to play, or even hear a song with that description? Lol. I'd rather have more unreleased stuff from their early/Hamburg days like from the first Anthology.
    I think I'm with you in terms of gameplay. It'd be interesting to hear but not to play:)
  • Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    miche.cs;2548317 said:
    I think I'm with you in terms of gameplay. It'd be interesting to hear but not to play:)
    This is what I meant by my earlier post. I didn't mean to unlock it so we could play it, just hear it.

Can you imagine playing Revolution #9? About the only thing they could do with that is jumble up the song and have a situation where you piece the nonsense back together within a certain amount of time or the Beatles will break up... wait a minute.