Need advice from real musicians (any instrument welcome!)

WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
edited June 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
So me and some buddies of mine had our first real band practice a few days ago, and it was super awesome. I have never played music in a group before and it was pretty much the most fun thing I have ever done. Problem is, we did not actually play any songs, we just sort of jammed, which was fun, but I would like us to start doing actual songs as well.

The real issue we have with this is that both the guitarist and myself (drums) are newbs. I have been playing for about 5 months and he has been playing since Christmas, so ~7 months or so. Now I think I am pretty decent for the amount of time I have been playing, I can play consistently up to about 120-140 BPM as long as the pattern is not horribly complex and I seem to pretty good at improving too. Our guitarist however has not been super diligent with his practice, so he can play some chords but he is not super fast at changing between them.

So I am reaching out to our great community here at Rockband.com. I need suggestions on songs we can learn. Here are the criteria:

1.) They must be rock. None of us have any interest in playing country, folk, teenie bopper pop, or anything like that, we are rock fans. Metal would be fantastic because we all like it but most metal is probably going to be way beyond our guitarists ability so any other kind of rock will be great too.

2.) They can not be too difficult on guitar. Please no barre chords since our guitarist can not play them yet. He can do all of the standard major and minor chords, dominant 7ths, and I could probably teach him suspended open chords without much difficulty if need be.

3.) Nothing too fast. As I said I can go as high as maybe 140 BPM and stay on top of it but much beyond that is pushing the boundaries of my current ability. No 200 BPM Ramones songs please ;).

That's it! Any songs you guys can recommend would be supremely awesome! Thanks for reading!

TL;DR version: I need advice for songs my band can play that are not too fast, not too difficult on guitar, and are rock songs.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    If your guitarist isn't that good, do some punk. Especially the Ramones...I'm a bassist with horrible guitar skills but I can even play some Ramones songs on guitar
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited June 2009
    Learn Alex Chilton by the Replacements. Not only do you already know it from Rock Band, but it's also really easy to learn and it sounds awesome. DO IT NAO
  • edited June 2009
    Alright_Computer;2568746 said:
    Learn Alex Chilton by the Replacements. Not only do you already know it from Rock Band, but it's also really easy to learn and it sounds awesome. DO IT NAO
    I wanna learn that on bass but I can't find the tabs for it :(
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Wolfbeckett;2568736 said:
    Problem is, we did not actually play any songs, we just sort of jammed, which was fun, but I would like us to start doing actual songs as well.
    a lot of bands are very successful doing that, notable Phish, Dave Matthews and Grateful Dead ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jam_bands
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited June 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2568753 said:
    It's easy enough to figure out. With the exception of the main riff, it's basically just the root notes of the guitar, and the main riff is easy enough to figure out, I guess.
  • edited June 2009
    Alright_Computer;2568768 said:
    It's easy enough to figure out. With the exception of the main riff, it's basically just the root notes of the guitar, and the main riff is easy enough to figure out, I guess.
    Yea I'll probably just look at the guitar tab and figure it out that way. I could've sworn a couple of months ago I saw the bass tab for it but its not on UG or bassmasta
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited June 2009
    The intro to War Pigs. :p
  • The Highway To HellThe Highway To Hell Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    A very simple song that EVERYBODY knows and is very easy?

My best recomendation is AC/DC - Back In Black.

It's easy for drums, and there is only 3 chords for guitarists.

Lenny Kravitz - Are You Go My Way is an exciting song to play. And it's pretty simple, though you won't be able to recreate some of the effects without a music studio.

Jackyl - I Stand Alone is a moderate paced song that I think your guitarist can handle, the drumming has some slight variation and short fills, but I think they are easy enough for a beginning drummer.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find more songs in case you want to do multiple songs.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Pixies, Nirvana, and some Grateful Dead material are all pretty easy too.
  • KallenSKallenS Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Smells Like Teen Spirit is ohh so painfully easy. Electric Funeral is also pretty easy. Those were some of the songs that we played in the beggining. Now we are playing The Trooper! Double bass pedal FTW! (I'm the drummer. :P)
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Electric Funeral requires wah, though.

And The Trooper has no double bass....
  • KallenSKallenS Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Ultimatum;2569495 said:
    Electric Funeral requires wah, though.

And The Trooper has no double bass....
    Well, that means that we have a hardcore edition of it. kick--kick-kick-kick
    if you get what I mean :D
  • FizzywixFizzywix Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Just some random stuff based on what you are asking for:

In Flames - Only For the Weak

Dimmu Borgir - Puritania

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

Creedence Clearwater Revival songs are for the most part simple, and awesome.

Early Beatles songs are the same, relatively easy to learn, very satisfying to play - I'd recommend Day Tripper.

Weezer, Nirvana, Green Day, Blink 182, the killers, theme songs from TV shows and movies
  • xXjAmEZXxxXjAmEZXx Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    back in the day when i could sing well, my bands first songs we played as a group were its a long way to the top(if you wanna rock n roll) and hells bells by ac/dc. :D
  • daftuprisingdaftuprising Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    blink-182, Jimmy Eat World, Green Day
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Well I could suggest a few. But they have one or two bar chords. They will get your guitarist playing better since they will challenge him. I will even give you some of the stuff I wrote, just PM me and I'll make you an lead sheet today.

Fire on the mountain by the Grateful Dead does use Bar chords but you can do the easy bar chord trick and it will work just fine since you are not supposed to full strum it.

Most Christian worship music (which is in G)

Try this song. This is not the final recording, but it has no bar chords
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxfW0KrIxw&feature=channel_page
    This one does have a bar chord, but it will help the guitarist get better at bar chords
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHTPkdRPww&feature=channel
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    As a few others have stated pretty much anything from AC/DC is great for this type of thing. That band is never fancy but you will learn rythm and timing by playing it.

My first band also used to love working on some Stones tunes as well. Brown Sugar and Start Me Up were two favorites of ours.

Good luck man!
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate all the helpful suggestions! I think I will start with some AC/DC songs cause I know both of the other band members like them, I would love to do some Pixies songs but I might have a hard time convincing them to do them haha. I will try though. I will talk to them tomorrow to see what they want to do. Thanks again!
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited June 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2568753 said:
    That's is why we have ears man, where do those tabs come from? ;)

In terms of a Pixies song, I would suggest Monkey Gone to Heaven. Very accessible song and would probably be incredibly easy for everyone in the band to learn.

Edit:Try The Clash's Police & Thieves, should be easy chords for him.
  • trueguitarist88trueguitarist88 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Some songs i know. (im a guitarist, been playing for 3 months)

Sugar-System of a Down REALLY REALLY SIMPLE

Jeremy-Pearl Jam the hammer-ons and pull offs in the chorus might be a little hard, i have a bit trouble with this. but the rest is pretty easy.

Spiders-System of a Down this is also pretty simple. im not sure about the chords in the chorus, but the "solo" is easy. the solo is just some 2 fret chords strummed like 10 times.

those are some simple songs that i know. check the tabs for more info. i usually go to 911tabs.com but use whatever site you want
  • krallekralle Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    As a guitarist, I recommend anything from The Offspring, Queens of the Stone Age, or Nirvana as a start... though QOTSA would put some drum stress on you.

Also, don't judge a song by its BPM. Fallout Boy's "Dance Dance" clocks in at over 200bpm, but its not terribly fast for any instrument
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Woot, turns out that our bassist's wife is a huge Pixies fan so he is willing to learn some of their songs. Now I just need to convince our guitarist. We are also thinking of doing some slowed down, distortion added, heavier covers of punk songs from The Ramones or The Clash etc. We have plenty of good ideas now we just need to choose some and start practicing regularly ;).
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited June 2009
    Hey cool to see your in a band. I play harmonica. I can play a lot of songs by eat but I play some by tab as well. (I've been playing for like 8 months. I use to play years ago) My bro plays guitar. He's been playing about 6 months. Me and him play together on occasion.

Stairway isn't that hard a song on guitar I've heard. (except the end may be a little tougher) It would be a fun song to learn. You should try doing some easy bands to play like Green Day (all power chords) Drumming isn't that hard either. They may be a punk band but they're really easy to learn on. Green Dat songs were the first songs I started playing by ear. AC/DC should be easy as well. And all their drum songs sound the same so it shouldn't be to hard to learn them on drums. That's all I got right now. I'll try to think of some more suggestions later.

EDIT: NIRVANA, The Verve Pipe and Matchbox Twenty should be easy as well.
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Nash got me addicted to A Town Called Hypocrisy by Lostprophets. I haven't listened real intently to the drums, but I was able to play the guitar part within about 10-15 minutes of hearing the song...there are 2 or 3 guitars though

Can't go wrong with Self-Esteem by The Offspring either