Beatles Transfer

DuganDugan Unsigned
edited June 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Should the Rock Band: The Beatles be able to Transfer songs (FROM THE BEATLES) onto your hard drive as well as come out with an update for the Rock Band(s) to allow the multiple microphones?

Comments

• DuganDugan Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    Not that way FROM the beatles to Rock Band 1 or Rock Band 2.
  • acidicthought8acidicthought8 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Dugan;2570558 said:
    Should the Rock Band: The Beatles be able to Transfer songs (FROM THE BEATLES) onto your hard drive as well as come out with an update for the Rock Band(s) to allow the multiple microphones?
    The Beatles or the record label themselves wouldn't allow it. So it's not a case of should, it's a case of can't.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited June 2009
    acidicthought8;2570574 said:
    The Beatles or the record label themselves wouldn't allow it. So it's not a case of should, it's a case of can't.
    This.

The Beatles was either going to be it's own entity, or not exist. I'm all for it being it's own entity.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited June 2009
  • DuganDugan Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    I'm a huge Beatles fan but don't get me wrong i just think its stupid that say your playing rock band and want to play a few beatles tunes. you then have to leave the game, change disks and wait for loading time....to me that wastes play time.
  • tatonka05tatonka05 Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Dugan;2570601 said:
    I'm a huge Beatles fan but don't get me wrong i just think its stupid that say your playing rock band and want to play a few beatles tunes. you then have to leave the game, change disks and wait for loading time....to me that wastes play time.
    TB:RB is not a "Rock Band" game, it's not part of the series (RB1, RB2, TP1, TP2, classic rock track pack, country track pack, etc.). It's designed to be a completely standalone game in its own little series. That's the way the license works, and there's no changing that now.

In a way, it's like wanting to play a few songs from RB2, and then wanting to play a few on a GH game...same basic situation...two different games
  • edited June 2009
    Dugan;2570601 said:
    It takes 90 seconds total.

Time it with your pee-pee breaks.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Would be nice, but I'd much rather have John Lennon sing my Iron Maiden dlc than have the Beatles mixed with Lit and Cheap Trick. I'm all for keeping Beatles music non-exportable, but the game should at least support DLC, in my opinion.

...I don't think either scenario can or will happen though. :(
  • RMThompsonRMThompson Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Yay! Another thread on this!
  • ScottyTheBodyScottyTheBody Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    I would like it to. Highly doubt it though.
  • craven_triocraven_trio Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Doc_SoCal;2570642 said:
    It takes 90 seconds total.

Time it with your pee-pee breaks.
    I'd have thought longer than that - feels longer when doing it frequently. But even if it really is just 90 seconds, it's not all a non-interactive 90 seconds wait where you can go for a pee or put the kettle on or whatever and then come back and instantly play a song by The Beatles, you need to swap the discs, probably wait some seconds for the console to recognise the disc, probably choose to play the disc (might be automatic for you), wait quite a few seconds, press button to skip intro cinematic, everyone press lots of buttons to reform band.

And if you're playing online (if that feature's even available in TBRB), it's even longer to reform your group or find a new one.

AND THEN repeat to switch back to the other game.

AND IT's not just lazy and waiting it's having all songs listed and scores tracked in one place

and it's good that we get the game at all because this is the only way it was happening

and it's bad that the revolutionary changes to gameplay that can only happen because it's all beatles music that mean it's not going to be a rock band title (oh go on we'll put rock band in the title after all) are mainly the addition of harmonies and no other significant changes so the basics would work in the old engine.

and it's the beatles and i'm buying it
    and i'm not buying it it's just one band

and nad and i think this might have been discussed to death already :)

Voted yes.
  • ScopitoneScopitone Opening Act
    edited June 2009
  • BayouBengal032BayouBengal032 Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Learn the title of the game before you post about it.
  • woodwindpizzawoodwindpizza Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    No. The Beatles are their own thing, their own experience, their own career, venues, dreamscapes, characters, artwork, design, and style. It shouldn't mix with the Rock Band 1 or 2 game. It deserves to be seperate from the Rock Band game itself.
  • aremisaremis Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Another repeat thread about something that we already know wont happen. Why bother?
  • Ouroboros82Ouroboros82 Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Really? Another thread about this? I dont even frequent the forums that much anymore but even I know when something has already been beaten to death; lurk more, post less.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Of course it shouldn't transfer over to RB! :)

Because I'm an elitist snob who'd rather play one band off on their own little island by themselves instead of incorporating them into the 700-song library I've already built up which is pretty much the whole PURPOSE of the Rock Band platform! :)

Because I've flipped my blinders on and refuse to accept that HMX is going contrary to their own vows to never pull a Neversoft and get involved with standalone band games that permanently isolate great groups from the core game(s)! :)

Because while everyone else in RockBandWorld are moving on with their lives and incorporating fabbolous new DLC from LOTS of different bands and genres into an ever-expanding library, I'd rather just sit over here by myself and play the same 45 songs by the same group in the same venues over and over and over and over and over an....*doink* :)
  • blzbub74blzbub74 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    tatonka05;2570635 said:
    TB:RB is not a "Rock Band" game, it's not part of the series (RB1, RB2, TP1, TP2, classic rock track pack, country track pack, etc.). It's designed to be a completely standalone game in its own little series. That's the way the license works, and there's no changing that now.

In a way, it's like wanting to play a few songs from RB2, and then wanting to play a few on a GH game...same basic situation...two different games
    I also wish people would get over the transfer thing already, but this is naive. Beatles is obviously made by the same designer and is practicly identical in gameplay other than the added vocal harmonies.

The only way that you can validly argue against the Beatles being part of the core RB library is the licensing issue, which is enough. There's no need to make artificial distinctions between the games.
  • Lawl01Lawl01 Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Why have it transfer? Are people really that lazy to change the disc and wait for it to load? The game is it's own entity and there isn't a need to have the songs transfer.
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    blzbub74;2573657 said:
    I also wish people would get over the transfer thing already, but this is naive. Beatles is obviously made by the same designer and is practicly identical in gameplay other than the added vocal harmonies.

The only way that you can validly argue against the Beatles being part of the core RB library is the licensing issue, which is enough. There's no need to make artificial distinctions between the games.
    Well, lots of FPS games use the same engine without being part of the same family of games. I think the point is the people need to learn to differentiate between a Rock Band branded game (like Beatles and Lego) and a Rock Band series game (like Rock Band and Rock Band 2). The Beatles game obviously is Rock Band branded (though it wasn't originally going to be). But that doesn't mean its part of the same series of games as Rock Band and Rock Band 2 and their various supported content packs. Its a meaningful distinction.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Hehehehe you're so silly!
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Lawl01;2573786 said:
    Why have it transfer?
    I have a better question... why NOT have it transfer? I still haven't heard a good answer to this question.

And yes, I know the remark will be "The Beatles" said no. It was still a decision that was made... unless HMX didn't even ask about it... and if they didn't, that is a true fail. So, I ask again, why not have a transfer (if not now, at least eventually)?

Would this be a problem for you if a record label released new music from a single band that required you to use one music program and that music program would not play any of the rest of your music collection?
    Are people really that lazy to change the disc and wait for it to load?
    Laziness has nothing to do with it. Wasting my potential play time (which is limited by the rest of my life) is a small problem. Mostly, though, it is not feeling like I have to play any band enough to deal with a standalone title, how that limits my potential playlists, and going back to a setlist of 45 songs when I am used to choosing from hundreds.
    The game is it's own entity and there isn't a need to have the songs transfer.
    In the platform approach of HMX, DLC is akin to iTunes and a disk release is akin to buying a CD. Prior releases you could rip the music from a disk (like you could with an audio CD) and get that music to play alongside anything else you've bought (as a person might do to play their stuff alongside things they buy off of iTunes). Ripping the disk doesn't make an album any less of it's own entity and making a solid album would get plenty of people to still play and enjoy the entire album (just as people will enjoy the Beatles game when they are hankering for a Beatles fix).

The biggest reason that DRM has been a failure is that people won't buy music that limits their ability to use content they've paid for and that can EASILY be used in other ways... such as amongst a playlist of their other favorite songs.

Once people understand the platform approach and the benefit of that, they will be unwilling to accept standalone releases (as at least some people on these boards are demonstrating). For the same reason it would be career suicide, in this day and age, for a band to only release CD's and to copy-protect them.

The technology exists to do this and HMX "opened the box" to allow people to get used to the benefits of this approach. Breaking from it now is certainly not of benefit to anyone (I would argue even "The Beatles" who appear to be choosing to block this) and it is certainly not a step forward for RB, the entire music genre, or HMX's fight for market share with GH (no matter how many people who will buy this game don't even know about export...YET).

...and no matter how much any of that ^^^ is true, I won't be holding my breathe because I doubt the Beatles will change their tune on this.
  • stevariusstevarius Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    Maybe, somewhere along the long, it will export to RB2, but until then I have no idea which game I'll be playing more when it finally releases.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Lawl01;2573786 said:
    Why have it transfer? Are people really that lazy to change the disc and wait for it to load? The game is it's own entity and there isn't a need to have the songs transfer.
    And yet again, someone misses the point:

It's not about disc-swapping.
    It's about INTEGRATING bands into your existing library.

Why should we have to do the "either-or" thing --- play EITHER the Beatles on one disc, OR every other band on another disc --- when EVERYTHING else in the game platform up until this point has been about incorporating ALL your bands and songs together in one central library?

That's not the way we do things in Rock Band. That's the way they do things in that other lesser game.

Why do we want to be like that other lesser game? We're better than that.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited June 2009
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2009
    Dugan;2570558 said:
    Transfer? Yes... update RB2, No...

The main vocal line can be used for RB2 and just skip the Harmonies in RB.

Ahh, this debate has been done to death.
  • edited June 2009
    Dugan;2570558 said:
    Sorry, but there have already been multiple threads dedicated to discussing this subject. Feel free to poke through the forums or take advantage of the search feature and you should be able to find plenty of other threads you can contribute to.
    DMBillies;2573892 said:
    I have a better question... why NOT have it transfer? I still haven't heard a good answer to this question.
    Sorry if you feel like the answers haven't been satisfactory. For a variety of technical and artistic reasons it made much more sense to all involved to have TB:RB available as it's own game. I think we've done a pretty stand up job maintaining the platform mentality of RB over the last two years (with export, backwards compatibility, weekly DLC, over 700 songs in the catalog, etc) and TB:RB shouldn't be viewed as a step away from that, no more than the lack of export for Frequency content should be viewed as a step away from the platform standard that we've worked hard to maintain.

The Beatles: Rock Band is simply a different game. It may make more sense to some people once we reveal more game details or once people actually get a chance to play. But I think if you ask people that got a hands on at E3 they'd tell you that this doesn't feel like a part of the RB universe. Unique venues, unique avatars, unique animations, unique features like vocal harmonies, and a unique story line and progression of game play set TB:RB apart from the standard RB universe.

We will, of course, still be busting our buns to make sure that RB remains a robust platform with more content than any other rhythm based music game out there.
This discussion has been closed.