Voodoo Child: Jimi Hendrix vs. Stevie Ray Vaughan

chub71chub71 Unsigned
edited June 2009 in History of Rock
Let's play a game, shall we

Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, two of the most iconic guitarist to ever holster a Stratacaster. A debate over who is the better guitarist has been raging ever since Vaughan was taken to the great concert in the sky. This thread is not about who was the better overall guitarist, but rather who performed a certain song the best. Voodoo Child (slight return), written by Hendrix and released on the groundbreaking Electric Ladyland album is considered by Rolling Stone magazine to be one of the greatest guitar songs of all time. Vaughan, a big fan of Hendrix's work performed covers of several Jimi songs including Voodoo Child (slight return). The question here is to debate who performed the song better. I challenge all who come across this thread to go to Youtube and check out live performances of Voodoo Child (slight return) by both artists and return with what you think. Although this writer already knows the true answer, he is interested in what others have to say.

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited June 2009
    Hendrix.
  • MeyernltnMeyernltn Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    I always thought it was Voodoo Chile? not child.
    anyway, gonna have to go with the original-Hendrix.
  • InfidelInfidel Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Meyernltn wrote: »
    I always thought it was Voodoo Chile? not child.
    anyway, gonna have to go with the original-Hendrix.

There are two songs on Electric Ladyland with similar names: Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). The latter is the song that is played heavily on rock radio stations. Voodoo Chile is a 15 minute unpolished bluesy jam.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Hendrix was the original, and he made better overall music, but SRV is the better guitarist. Easily. Listen to "Lenny" - I don't thing Hendrix ever toped that.
  • EvilbottomEvilbottom Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Hendrix easily. Don't get me wrong, SRV was a brilliant guitarist, but it was Hendrix's song and no one played it better than him
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    SRV did a great version of it, but Jimi's hands down.
  • chub71chub71 Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    Oh my poor simple children, you are lost and confused. Except for Infedel, thank you for correction Meyernltn. I feel that many of you did not correctly follow my directions: check out the LIVE performances of the song, not taking into consideration on who wrote the song (we all know it was Hendrix). If followed correctly you would have returned to my thread with shock and awe. For when it comes to performing Voodoo Child (slight return) live SRV wins hands down. For many of you this is blaspheme and are currently tracking me down to burn me to a steak, but we must remember that Jimi was a mere mortal, not the god we all sometimes like to think he is. Although Hendrix created the song he had little time to perfect it, something that Stevie did for him. Go and see, so that you may be enlightened.
  • edited June 2009
    Hendrix
    /THREAD!!!
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited June 2009
    I actually like SRV version better, but Hendrix is the better guitarist.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    poll? hendrix.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Hendrix for me.
    Though if it was Hendrix Little Wing vs. SRV Little Wing, I'd have to give it to SRV.
  • gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    i love me srv and i love hendrix but jimi version is amazing and srv version is good.
  • JameisterJameister Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    I like the SRV version better. At his best, Hendrix was the better player, but SRV was much more consistant. I've seen SRV several times in concert, the guy was absolutely brilliant. It's a bit of a moot point, comparing the two as musicians is like comparing one god to another god.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited June 2009
    Hendrix
  • msaunpuleilcomsaunpuleilco Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    Jimi!
  • pinkfloyd123pinkfloyd123 Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    what more can i say hendrix is the greatest ever
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    chub71 wrote: »
    Oh my poor simple children, you are lost and confused. Except for Infedel, thank you for correction Meyernltn. I feel that many of you did not correctly follow my directions: check out the LIVE performances of the song, not taking into consideration on who wrote the song (we all know it was Hendrix). If followed correctly you would have returned to my thread with shock and awe. For when it comes to performing Voodoo Child (slight return) live SRV wins hands down. For many of you this is blaspheme and are currently tracking me down to burn me to a steak, but we must remember that Jimi was a mere mortal, not the god we all sometimes like to think he is. Although Hendrix created the song he had little time to perfect it, something that Stevie did for him. Go and see, so that you may be
    enlightened.

Yea, wasn't enlightened.

I actually place 3 versions above SRV

1. Hendrix's, perfect in every way.
    2. G3 Jam Version (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteem). Two amazing guitarists and a fat guy reinvent this like Jimi did All Along the Watchtower
    3. Slash & Zakk Wylde, I just liked this one a little more then SRV's. Close though.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited June 2009
    Hendrix.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited June 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    There are two songs on Electric Ladyland with similar names: Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). The latter is the song that is played heavily on rock radio stations. Voodoo Chile is a 15 minute unpolished bluesy jam.

Voodoo Chile is also a better song than Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

and for the purposes of this forum, the answer is: Hendrix.
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    I have one problem with SRVs version of anything Hendrix - he's too smooth. He's got a glossy playing style. It's alluring at first, but it wears thin. With Hendrix's rougher playing, it isn't as immediately likable, but the nuances grow on you in the long run.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    I don't like SRV's style and sound.
  • From 1971-1983 Hendrix was my ONLY idol and one of the reasons I picked up the guitar. He was definitely ONE of a kind. Without fail, Albert King’s “Going To California” HAD to be where Jimi got Red House. Listen to Jimmy James version. Anyway, IMO, I would get into fist fights about Hendrix. Then, October 8, 1984, I saw a show that BLEW my mind. It was SRV and Eric Johnson, and got to meet both of them. I have so many boots of Jimi, and as of yesterday I have 463 Of Stevie. I have an album called The Jimi Hendrix Concerts that has the baddest Red House, Little Wing From Winterland. Anyway, for those of you that doubt Stevie couldn’t own Voodoo Child (Slight Return), I urge you to get the Master from April 22, 1990 From Omaha, NE following Ernie Isley (of the Isley Brother’s Jimi played with). He not only owns the song, but the audience. Randy Hansen was considered a joke for those of that were true Hendrix Fans, and G3 isn’t in the same league, I mean Stevie not Jimi EVER had a lesson and while I like some Satch and Vai, and saw Yngwie in Dallas during Rising Force, these are “shredders” and Berklee School Of Music Graduates. As much as I love Jimi, and his innovation that brought us out of the ‘60’s, do yourself a favor, listen to Steve at The Gorge in Washington, and in Omaha, Nebraska. If you are just listening to commercial releases, I have one name, Eddie Kramer in Jimi’s corner.