Child-safe hard rock/prog rock/metal songs?

------------ Unsigned
edited July 2009 in History of Rock
My 9-year-old cousin wants to start listening to some of the stuff I listen to, but much of my playlist isn't exactly child-safe, so it might stir up something with his parents. So, what hard rock/prog rock/metal songs that are child-friendly do you recommend?

Comments

• QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Closer - Nine Inch Nails (Kidding, don't use that)

But Rush is very safe.
  • Ragin_CaucasionRagin_Caucasion Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    The majority of Power Metal bands. Bands like Blind Guardian, Dragonforce (lol, but he'll like it), Gamma Ray, and Sonata Arctia are some of the safer and more "fantastical" ones.
  • BRKNSHDWBRKNSHDW Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Aqualung...definite lifelong scarring...joking.....i really don't see the point in child proffing a playlist....they're gonna get to it eventually...you can't child proof the outside world....
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Renaissance-Turn of the Cards most definitely.

There's no such thing as being too young to appreciate Annie Haslam!
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2009
    Zakk!!!

you forgot Curved Air
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    a21schizoidman;2641620 said:
    Zakk!!!

you forgot Curved Air
    Them too!

And for something a bit more obscure, show him Solstice. ;)
  • AnthraxinsoupAnthraxinsoup Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Rush.Most power metal,IE gama ray!!!

Umm dreamtheater is normally good.

Guns and roses unless he knows what the stuff he already which then he'd have no problem listening to it then he can listen.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Anthraxinsoup;2642426 said:

Guns and roses unless he knows what the stuff he already which then he'd have no problem listening to it then he can listen.
    GNR is not child safe.

Like, at all, outside of a few songs.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    I have yet to say The Flower Kings and Kansas, but they are pretty child-safe
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Dream Theater
    Queensryche
    Rush
    Redemption
    Kamelot
    Symphony X
    Blind Guardian
    Cynic

I consider these bands "child-safe".
    edited June 2009
    Quinarvy;2642445 said:
    GNR is not child safe.

Like, at all, outside of a few songs.
    unless he know what the stuff is already he wouldn't know.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2642526 said:

Queensryche
    If you are talking about Operation: Mindcrime in any way being "Child-Safe" I would love to hear your explanation
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited June 2009
    Fizzeler;2642787 said:
    If you are talking about Operation: Mindcrime in any way being "Child-Safe" I would love to hear your explanation
    I was just generally speaking, most Queensryche's material is pretty child safe.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Most rock music tends to be about terrible teen-angst style love stories or rebellion in some form, and he will eventually get it. No point holding back, I'd say let him have access to whatever and learn things himself. Knee-jerk censorship is hardly useful, and in reality, wouldn't everyone rather their kid were the cool one everyone liked because they knew all about sex which is the first big thing kid really start to whisper about behind their parent's backs? :p
    edited June 2009
    Lolicat;2643805 said:
    Most rock music tends to be about terrible teen-angst style love stories or rebellion in some form, and he will eventually get it. No point holding back, I'd say let him have access to whatever and learn things himself. Knee-jerk censorship is hardly useful, and in reality, wouldn't everyone rather their kid were the cool one everyone liked because they knew all about sex which is the first big thing kid really start to whisper about behind their parent's backs? :p
    I never whispered it.I screamed vagina and boobies.Still do.Damn I'm immature.And what rock do you listen to?none of mine talks abought that stuff
  • Count_ZeroOrCount_ZeroOr Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    I'll second (third?) Rush, and Jethro Tull (they do have some mature subject matter*, but little to no profanity, and a lot of it will go over kids heads unless they're fairly knowledgeable and paying attention.

Some of Black Sabbath's early stuff is actually fairly child-safe (if your child is over 8), particularly Paranoid, and Master of Reality[i]. Pink Floyd has an s-bomb here or there, but otherwise everything by Pink Floyd up to, at least, [i]Wish You Were Here, and then everything from Momentary Lapse of Reason on should be fine.

If you count Electric Light Orchestra as Prog Rock, everything they did should be okay (though the opening for Fire On High creeped the crap out of me until I was 14.

*Aqualung is about a pedophile homeless man, Cross-Eyed Mary is about an underage schoolgirl who prostitutes herself. Oh, and there's all the songs about objectivism in Rush albums - and then there's Passage to Bangkok. :D
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2643803 said:
    I was just generally speaking, most Queensryche's material is pretty child safe.
    so, you've heard, what, one song?
  • MighedMighed Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Dream theater is a somewhat child safe band, but keep away from 6DoIT "the test that stumped them all" and if your child is smart and can pick up on the meanings of songs than stay away from Systematic Chaos as it has a somewhat violent storyline to the songs, and some are about AA. wow run on sentence!
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Almost all of the Hogarth Marillion is kid friendly. Fish is, too, as long as you don't dig too deep into the imagery. For example, as long as you don't tell your kids that a Magdalene is a fancy word for a whore, you'll be fine.
    edited June 2009
    Anthraxinsoup;2644201 said:
    I never whispered it.I screamed vagina and boobies.Still do.Damn I'm immature.And what rock do you listen to?none of mine talks abought that stuff
    I was running on the general sort of early listening habits of a rock fan, with Zepp et al who are just plain irritating with their subject matter and hardly child safe.
  • iwolfeiwolfe Opening Act
    edited June 2009
    Maybe some 80s glam metal, like Van Halen or the Scorpions? Maybe some arena rock like Queen or AC/DC?
    edited June 2009
    iwolfe;2648446 said:
    Maybe some 80s glam metal, like Van Halen or the Scorpions? Maybe some arena rock like Queen or AC/DC?
    lolno

Why are songs about shagging considered 'child-safe' but political themes not...
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited June 2009
    Lolicat;2649090 said:
    lolno

Why are songs about shagging considered 'child-safe' but political themes not...
    People are scared of radical ideas but not scared of screwing.
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited June 2009
    Most early Judas Priest and the vast majority of Maiden stuff is safe enough. Some violence and the very rare sexual references but they are generally the best bands to start with in metal. Cynic has no form of profanity at all but I'm not sure if a younger kid would like them much but thats about as good as it gets with prog metal.
    edited June 2009
    Lolicat;2649090 said:
    lolno

Cause people tend to not want to know abought history or the government,Got they're own set mind and believe on that.It's why angel of death can't be used in a guitar hero or rock band.

Judas is very child safe.Unless he knows abought bondage well then I don't think it matters.
  • fiedy88fiedy88 Opening Act
    edited June 2009
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Anthraxinsoup;2649222 said:
    Cause people tend to not want to know abought history or the government,Got they're own set mind and believe on that.It's why angel of death can't be used in a guitar hero or rock band.
    Sad, but true. It's pretty bad that so many people think that bands like Rage Against the Machine deserve more censorship then half of the stuff on the radio right now ikissedagirlcoughcough.
  • Manamo1976Manamo1976 Unsigned
    edited June 2009
    What about Genesis from 1968 'til 1976? That's pretty child-safe.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited June 2009
    Go for some Underoath, they happen to be a Christian Band. I have yet to listen to some Devil Wears Prada though.
    edited June 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2649245 said:
    Sad, but true. It's pretty bad that so many people think that bands like Rage Against the Machine deserve more censorship then half of the stuff on the radio right now ikissedagirlcoughcough.
    I kissed a girl isn't horrible.I finally gave it a listen when I heard this version.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vil-s82_LM0

Although Didn't killing in the name get in guitar hero?I mean that talks bought the KKK,But when you mention the many years and like 24 millon people that died in world war two you are a nazi.People(specially in euro)tend to look at world war two as a thing you shouldn't remember.Ever D-day I spend hours reading books watching all of band of brothers,saving private ryan,and more stuff bought the men whom risked there lifes.I'm a history buff.My mom thinks I'm a nazi cause I like the subject and the era.If I was alive during then I would have gave my life to protect the world