Harmonix could abandon consoles?

BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
edited July 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
Harmonix honcho Josh Randall has looked deep into the future, and disappointingly not seen free jetpacks and the triumphant return of New Kids on the Block. Instead, Randall tells of a future where music games like Rock Band are playable without consoles.

“I think you could foresee a future where maybe you don’t even have a console,” said Randall, speaking to VideoGamer.com. “Your instrument can have all these songs and you just plug it into your TV. I’m sure it [the genre] is going to start to move in weird ways that no-one’s even thought of yet.”

No doubt. Given the size of plastic instruments, and the ease with which you insert a functional game system in one, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I would love to see actual instruments with built-in "games" that plugged into your computer. If you could play something like Guitar Hero: World Tour with real instruments, and have fun while you're actually learning to rock, that would be pretty cool for aspiring musicians.... of course, it would be a very hard game!

How do you think the music game world will change over the next decade or so? Big revolutions, or is it more likely to just sort of fade out as the fad dies down?

Source: G4-The Feed
Source: Videogamer.com

Comments

• Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited July 2009
    i wouldn't buy it if it came to that.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I'm guessing tech will advance enough but I'm not seeing this in the near future. Also I don't thing they would stop the console support.

Think about it my ipod has more power than my parents first computer.
  • guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Damn.

Smashing my guitars would no longer be a viable option. :(

Please don't do this HMX!
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited July 2009
    I honestly don't see why they would. They are making a bunch of money from Rock Band already. And that is on console (obviously).
    General Lein979;2680839 said:
    I'm guessing tech will advance enough but I'm not seeing this in the near future. Also I don't thing they would stop the console support.
    Pretty much this.
  • LinkStrifeLeonhartLinkStrifeLeonhart Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    God damn it was a decent little blurb until he called it a fad. I swear each time I hear that I wish more and more to never read anything but facts.

In my mind, I can see music games going forward with dynamically created music. I don't know how exactly, but it would probably be akin to a music sandbox game.
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited July 2009
    Bad idea. They need consoles to act as a hub for all of the band people to be included in the same game. Putting the game software in the controllers would just drive up the price of something that doesn't last long enough for that to be viable. I don't want to have to re-buy the game every time I wear out a controller.
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    They're not gonna do it. They'd lose too much to do something like that.
    edited July 2009
    "Could" not "Will"

lol.
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    The downside of the consoles is that HMX does not control them,
    and their supporting infrastructure; AND that there are three of them.
    Three distinct products, to build & support, really...
    each with its own specific set of bugs; each requiring its own
    variant of guitar & drums. What a hassle it must be. Building
    their own self-contained gaming instruments would give HMX more
    control of their final product, reduce their customer support
    issues, and simplify their manufacturing processes. It might
    happen...
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited July 2009
    I could see Rock Band becoming its own console, but the instruments would still need to be separate.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited July 2009
    For an early concept, I don't think it's a particularly bad idea. With some thought and real concepts applied to it, I think it could definitely work. Change isn't always bad.

That being said, BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY HO! As in "Thundercats HO!" Not calling you a ho.
  • DalrenDalren Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I could see this working. Flash memory is getting bigger and bigger. Technology is getting smaller and smaller. Who is to say 20 years from now it wouldn't be possible to fit something more powerful than an Xbox 360 with more memory into a plastic instrument?

But things could get tricky for full band play. But anything is possible. If you got in a time machine and talked to me about rock band when I was a little kid I'd tell you you're crazy.

I mean, who is to say consoles as we know them will even exist 20 years from now? What if video game consoles themselves became built into other products?
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    Official word from HMX time? I wanna hear what either Henry, Veng, Sean, Thrasher, Johnlok, Dung Heaver, or any other HMX devs on the forums have to say bout this.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Soratar;2681764 said:
    Official word from HMX time? I wanna hear what either Henry, Veng, Sean, Thrasher, Johnlok, Dung Heaver, or any other HMX devs on the forums have to say bout this.
    I'm guessing they know nothing and this was just the dude saying what he thought could happen one day with moving rock band from just another game to a platform. I'm guessing this was the first time he thought of this and was making up something to say on the fly.
    edited July 2009
    A guy who works from Harmonix said all of this. "Harmonix honcho Josh Randall"
    edited July 2009
    Dalren;2681741 said:
    I could see this working. Flash memory is getting bigger and bigger. Technology is getting smaller and smaller. Who is to say 20 years from now it wouldn't be possible to fit something more powerful than an Xbox 360 with more memory into a plastic instrument?
    20 years? Try right now. Or in 10 if you want it more affordable as well.
  • GwannaSaunaGwannaSauna Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I doubt this would happen. Maybe in the next few years, they'll try to make the plastic instruments more realistic, but not too much.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited July 2009
    There should be a mode where you actually play the song tabs with a real guitar along to the music and score points and overdrive etc. I could see the track scrolling sideways like vox with six horizontal lines in rows and the numbers scrolling to the left side of the scroll.
  • HeavyHorseHeavyHorse Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, they have such a good thing going right now. Maybe years down the line, but I'd rather not think so far ahead.
  • leftover_crackleftover_crack Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    esquehill;2680989 said:
    The downside of the consoles is that HMX does not control them,
    and their supporting infrastructure; AND that there are three of them.
    Three distinct products, to build & support, really...
    each with its own specific set of bugs; each requiring its own
    variant of guitar & drums. What a hassle it must be. Building
    their own self-contained gaming instruments would give HMX more
    control of their final product, reduce their customer support
    issues, and simplify their manufacturing processes. It might
    happen...

umm the ps3 and 360 controllers are exactly the same hardware wise, i geuss theyre just programed differntly
    edited July 2009
    leftover_crack;2683184 said:
    umm the ps3 and 360 controllers are exactly the same hardware wise, i geuss theyre just programed differntly
    Actually they have one different circuit board in them (as well as different D-pads and [insert console name here] buttons), which essentially is the "controller" itself. The rest is the same.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited July 2009
    I could see this becoming a viable option after the 360/PS3/Wii fade out. Think about it: those of us with tons of DLC could have HUGE problems when the next generation of consoles comes out. What happens if the next Xbox doesn't allow you to use DLC from your 360? Do I have to maintain 2 separate libraries, one for my old content (on a system that RRoD's every year) and one for my new content? I think moving to their own "console" could be a very smart move, if don't properly. The whole "console in a controller" thing would be a poor choice, IMO, as the controllers WILL break eventually, but it could be something like a bundle that comes with a microconsole and a controller. The microconsole would have the RB software and songs on it, as well as a large hard drive for future DLC, and the controllers would simply plug into that.

The main issue is going to be what MS, Sony, and Nintendo decide to do when coming out with new consoles, which isn't too far away actually. If any one or all of them drop legacy support of DLC, there will be a huge backlash on these forums, and HMX may choose to provide something outside the standard consoles. The future is so bright!
  • HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Sees a future where a music-equipped instrument plugs directly into a TV.

It sometimes seems as if a new music rhythm game is released every five minutes, but Harmonix honcho Josh Randall believes things may change in the future. Randall thinks that games like Rock Band may eventually abandon consoles altogether, instead taking the form of instruments with built-in music.

“I think you could foresee a future where maybe you don’t even have a console,” said Randall, speaking to VideoGamer.com. “Your instrument can have all these songs and you just plug it into your TV. I’m sure it [the genre] is going to start to move in weird ways that no-one’s even thought of yet.”

The Harmonix creative director added that rhythm games may be influenced by developers working outside of the traditional home console sector.

“We’re obviously focused on the consoles, but outside of Harmonix there are people doing interesting stuff in the mobile space. It’s going to be interesting when it all splinters apart and then comes back together in some form we’ve not even thought of yet.”

link

What do you guys think about this?
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I definitely see something like this happening, but not to replace the console iterations. Instead, it would be sort of an introduction to the concept. So you'd buy GUITAR HERO!, and it'd be a guitar with 40 songs loaded on it that you plug direct into your TV/receiver (no different than the joysticks you can buy now to play intellivision games or pacman with). No DLC (at least not until a future generation of consoles), just 40 preloaded 'greatest hits'. And after you enjoyed playing it, you'd buy an X720 or PS4 or IIw and buy the Band game.
  • EcleggEclegg Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Wow what a great concept. The everybody can play online against everyone else on line. No More Console Bashing!!! It would be great, oh we would all get our dlc on the same day of the week!!!
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited July 2009
    I could see this as a side project to make it more accesible but I dont ever think that this will ever become the only way to play Rock Band.