UFC 100 Discussion thread.

Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
edited July 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
So, I'm pumped for UFC 100 tomorrow night.

On the card:

Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar
George St. Pierre vs Thiago Alves
Michael Bisping vs Don Henderson

Who do you like to win?
Who are you hoping for?

I'm going for GSP, Mir and Bisping. However I think Lesnar might actually put up a fight this time.

First fight between Lesnar and Mir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNitZPeiFkU

Comments

• Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Lesnar might put up a fight? I'm pretty sure he did the first time and if they had a compotent ref in there he would've won.

Brock by KO in the first round
    GSP by UD
    Bisping by TKO in the 3rd
  • tuphattuphat Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Rock_Starman;2697697 said:
    Lesnar might put up a fight? I'm pretty sure he did the first time and if they had a compotent ref in there he would've won.

Brock by KO in the first round
    GSP by UD
    Bisping by TKO in the 3rd
    I agree on the first two. But Bisping by TKO? Dan has never been TKO'd. I doubt Bisping is capable of doing that to Dan.
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited July 2009
    Woooo, go:

Lesnar
    GSP
    Bisping
  • FloodOneFloodOne Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Lesnar is probably going to kill Mir this time out.

Mir thinks he's going to take this fight to the ground. I don't think he can take Lesnar down.

I'd love to see GSP get upset, but he's so dominant, I find it hard to believe anyone will beat him in his weight class for another year or two.

Dangerous Dan Henderson will take it the limit, but Bisbing will win by decision.

I'm so pumped for this PPV. I'm going to my dad's tomorrow at 3 in the afternoon to start drinking and eating before the fight begins.
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I must say I recently got into the UFC thanks to some of my friends and the new game :p So I don't know much as of yet.

I already hate Lesnar so I'm hoping for Mir, but I know Lesnar won't let him get any easy foot lock like last time.
    edited July 2009
    Nitz13;2698376 said:
    I must say I recently got into the UFC thanks to some of my friends and the new game :p So I don't know much as of yet.

I already hate Lesnar so I'm hoping for Mir, but I know Lesnar won't let him get any easy foot lock like last time.
    How could you hate Lesnar?

He has hands the size of lunchboxes, and moves faster than anybody else in his weight class.

Plus, I agree with Rock_Starman, if there was a competent ref in their first matchup, Mir would've been served a TKO.
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2698405 said:

He has hands the size of lunchboxes, and moves faster than anybody else in his weight class.

Plus, I agree with Rock_Starman, if there was a competent ref in their first matchup, Mir would've been served a TKO.
    I love to hope for the underdogs (well cept for GSP) and when I hear people talk about how Lesnar is a so called beast and it's no contest. I want Mir to win even more.

Also, I've watched the fight but I dont understand what did the ref do to **** it up? When he called the timeout for shot to the back of the head?
  • droz84droz84 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I want to see Mir tap out Lesnar again, but I think Brock will win by KO this time around (round 1 or 2). Then I see GSP and Hendo both winning by UD. Whoever thinks Bisping is gonna knock out Henderson obviously doesn't follow MMA, considering Hendo's never been KO'd. Rampage couldn't even knock him out, for cryin' out loud.

Also, I really am excited about the card; probably because this is the first PPV I've ever purchased (though this fact may only interest me).
  • coescastlecoescastle Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Mir by submission.
    GSP by tko.
    Bisbing by desicion.

Love UFC, been watching it for years now.
    edited July 2009
    droz84;2698580 said:

Also, I really am excited about the card; probably because this is the first PPV I've ever purchased (though this fact may only interest me).
    Nah I'm like you, this will be my the first one I've actually watched live. Planning on heading down to a bar to watch the fight.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2698405 said:

He has no class and still acts like he's in the WWE. Can you see me now!
    edited July 2009
    By the way, your nuts if you think Lesner will win via UD. He gassed after a round and a half with Randy. (Who also almost took him down to those who say he can't be taken down. He had to grab the cage.) Lesners only chance to win is a big shot early. (Which is a possibility.)
    edited July 2009
    Lawdog1521;2698721 said:
    By the way, your nuts if you think Lesner will win via UD. He gassed after a round and a half with Randy. (Who also almost took him down to those who say he can't be taken down. He had to grab the cage.) Lesners only chance to win is a big shot early. (Which is a possibility.)
    Didn't Mir call him a "Big Oaf" ? :p

EDIT: Threw up a poll, you can now vote on who you want to win each fight
    edited July 2009
    Nitz13;2698486 said:
    Also, I've watched the fight but I dont understand what did the ref do to **** it up? When he called the timeout for shot to the back of the head?
    Right. It was only one shot to the back of the head, there was no warning, which is the standard protocol.

Instead he stood them up when he shouldn't have.

Incompetent refereeing cost Lesnar that win.
    Lawdog1521;2698721 said:
    I didn't see him grab the cage against Colture. Besides that, Colture is more than twice the fighter Mir is.

Mir doesn't have any class either so step down from your pedestal. Besides, the UFC needs people like Lesnar, who is a legitimate athlete, to raise awareness of UFC. They were interviewing Lesnar about this fight on ESPN2 earlier today. That's a big step in the right direction.
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2698823 said:
    Right. It was only one shot to the back of the head, there was no warning, which is the standard protocol.

Instead he stood them up when he shouldn't have.

Incompetent refereeing cost Lesnar that win.

I didn't see him grab the cage against Colture. Besides that, Colture is more than twice the fighter Mir is.

Mir doesn't have any class either so step down from your pedestal. Besides, the UFC needs people like Lesnar, who is a legitimate athlete, to raise awareness of UFC. They were interviewing Lesnar about this fight on ESPN2 earlier today. That's a big step in the right direction.
    So athletes like GSP or Machida aren’t legitimate? Instead we need a guy who maintains Mir won’t beat him in his next debut?

Lesners not the saving grace of MMA.

As to not seeing him grab the cage... watch the fight.
    edited July 2009
    Nitz13;2698737 said:
    Didn't Mir call him a "Big Oaf" ? :p

EDIT: Threw up a poll, you can now vote on who you want to win each fight
    Lesners not the sharpest tool in the shed. Just look at that god awful tattoo.
    edited July 2009
    I did watch the fight, I didn't see it. To be fair to you though, I was intoxicated when I saw that fight, so you may be right.

I never said that GSP and Machida aren't athletes. I'm saying Lesnar IS one, even though a lot of people claim "This ain't the WWE". He's a national champion wrestler and if he went to the Olypmpics, my money would be on him bringing home gold.

As far as Lesnar not raising awareness of UFC and MMA as a whole, well... I don't see Rampage, Lidell, GSP, Penn or Machida on a nationally syndicated program talking about the UFC.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited July 2009
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited July 2009
    I am going to get this PPV. It will be the first one I ever watch.
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2698913 said:
    I did watch the fight, I didn't see it. To be fair to you though, I was intoxicated when I saw that fight, so you may be right.

I never said that GSP and Machida aren't athletes. I'm saying Lesnar IS one, even though a lot of people claim "This ain't the WWE". He's a national champion wrestler and if he went to the Olypmpics, my money would be on him bringing home gold.

As far as Lesnar not raising awareness of UFC and MMA as a whole, well... I don't see Rampage, Lidell, GSP, Penn or Machida on a nationally syndicated program talking about the UFC.
    So intoxication is your problem then. Couture goes for the take down and almost gets it until Brock grabs the fence. A lot of people (myself included) resent Brock for having a 2-3 record (1-1 in the UFC) and getting a title shot against Couture to begin with.

All of those you mentioned do promotionals. From TUF to the O’Rielly Factor they’ve been everywhere. Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Hell, Heurta was on the cover of Sports illustrated years ago. The only pull Lesner has is the “pro-rastlin” crowd, an admittedly large group.

I’ll go one step further. Lesners technique isn’t that good. His striking is sub par, but he’s got strenght and big paws so he can knock you out. But he’s got no kicks and his boxing is bad. While his wrestling is good, his G&P is garbage. Once on the deck he’s got T-rex arms and can’t generate any power.

A big shot dropped Mir the first time, but his actual ground game came up short. A big shot dropped Herring but Lesner couldn’t finish him in a full 15 minutes of pounding. A big shot dropped Couture but the follow-up on the ground was weak.

If Lesner doesn’t get the big shot standing… he’s toast.

Edit: I do want to say hello to all you new MMA fans. Enjoy the show. :)
  • tuphattuphat Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Lawdog1521;2699015 said:
    A lot of people (myself included) resent Brock for having a 2-3 record (1-1 in the UFC) and getting a title shot against Couture to begin with.
    Correction: Brock is 3-1. Wins over Min Soo Kim, Heath Herring, Randy Couture and lost to Frank Mir. He was 1-1 UFC (2-1 MMA) when he got his title shot which was ridiculous.

To add to my above predictions: I can't stand Brock and yes I think his standup and submissions are extremely sub-par, yet still I think that he is going to just pummel Mir. I hope Mir pulls off another sub but I really don't think its gong to happen this time. Looking forward to this card.
    edited July 2009
    Lawdog1521;2699015 said:
    So intoxication is your problem then. Couture goes for the take down and almost gets it until Brock grabs the fence. A lot of people (myself included) resent Brock for having a 2-3 record (1-1 in the UFC) and getting a title shot against Couture to begin with.

All of those you mentioned do promotionals. From TUF to the O’Rielly Factor they’ve been everywhere. Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Hell, Heurta was on the cover of Sports illustrated years ago. The only pull Lesner has is the “pro-rastlin” crowd, an admittedly large group.

I’ll go one step further. Lesners technique isn’t that good. His striking is sub par, but he’s got strenght and big paws so he can knock you out. But he’s got no kicks and his boxing is bad. While his wrestling is good, his G&P is garbage. Once on the deck he’s got T-rex arms and can’t generate any power.

A big shot dropped Mir the first time, but his actual ground game came up short. A big shot dropped Herring but Lesner couldn’t finish him in a full 15 minutes of pounding. A big shot dropped Couture but the follow-up on the ground was weak.

If Lesner doesn’t get the big shot standing… he’s toast.

Edit: I do want to say hello to all you new MMA fans. Enjoy the show. :)
    His ground and pound ended the fight against Colture, so it's far from weak. His wrestling is great. I'll admit his striking isn't polished but he has more power and more speed than most people in his weight class can dream of obtaining.

Don't mistake me as a "pro-wrasslin" fan, I'm not. I've been watching MMA for a number of years now, and I've never seen any other fighter on ESPN promoting the shows. ESPN is a sports network, in case you missed it. Promoting your trade on a sports network just moves it further into the mainstream as an actual sport. That goes along way, even if you don't like the fighter doing the business. I don't see GSP on ESPN being interviewed by Jim Rome or Mike Golic. Sport's illustrated just doesn't have the same power of promotion that it used to.

I will admit though, at 1-1 he shouldn't have had a title shot, but if he wins tonight and becomes the Undisputed Champion, and then successfully defends the undisputed belt against the next challenger, you'll have to admit he's worthy of holding the title.
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2699177 said:
    His ground and pound ended the fight against Colture, so it's far from weak. His wrestling is great. I'll admit his striking isn't polished but he has more power and more speed than most people in his weight class can dream of obtaining.

His ground and pound didn’t finish Randy, Randy was rocked before he hit the canvas. My point being that say they had grappled to that position instead and Lesner began his G&P, he wouldn’t have put Randy away. (Just like he failed to do so with Mir or Herring.)

I agree, Brock is strong and freakishly fast. But when it comes to style and technique he’s proven to be sloppy.

As to the great ambassador he is, he showed real class at the weigh in tonight by trying to leave before the Q and A section. He begrudgingly stayed after Dana whispered something to him.
    edited July 2009
    tuphat;2699132 said:
    Correction: Brock is 3-1. Wins over Min Soo Kim, Heath Herring, Randy Couture and lost to Frank Mir. He was 1-1 UFC (2-1 MMA) when he got his title shot which was ridiculous.

To add to my above predictions: I can't stand Brock and yes I think his standup and submissions are extremely sub-par, yet still I think that he is going to just pummel Mir. I hope Mir pulls off another sub but I really don't think its gong to happen this time. Looking forward to this card.
    Thanks for the correction. :D I was thinking 2-1 and have no idea why I wrote the other.
    edited July 2009
    Lawdog1521;2699774 said:
    His ground and pound didn’t finish Randy, Randy was rocked before he hit the canvas. My point being that say they had grappled to that position instead and Lesner began his G&P, he wouldn’t have put Randy away. (Just like he failed to do so with Mir or Herring.)

I agree, Brock is strong and freakishly fast. But when it comes to style and technique he’s proven to be sloppy.

As to the great ambassador he is, he showed real class at the weigh in tonight by trying to leave before the Q and A section. He begrudgingly stayed after Dana whispered something to him.
    Now, I didn't even see the weigh in, but in fighting sports, it's not all that unusual for that kind of stuff to happen.

Like I said, his striking technique isn't polished, but his wrestling is top-notch and he is strong. It's also been... four or five moths since we saw him fight last right? He could come out and surprise the hell out of us tomorrow night.
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2699959 said:
    Now, I didn't even see the weigh in, but in fighting sports, it's not all that unusual for that kind of stuff to happen.
    I was wrong, It wasn’t the weigh in it was pre-fight press conference. (Which was Thursday, I just didn’t watch it until today. You can view both at MMAweekly.com)

But in a way that makes it worse. The whole point is to talk to the press and he throws a little fit. The idea is a person representing your sport has to put their best foot forward, not act like Brock. He’s openly said he doesn’t even care about MMA, he does it for the money. I don’t want that mentality in my sport. (As if I own it or something.)

Brock and Kimbo are the same league in my book.
  • Buffdog18Buffdog18 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Brock Lesnar, GSP, and Henderson.
    edited July 2009
    And since I never made a pick... :)

Mir, GSP, Hendo. (Fitch and Sexyama round it out for the main card.)

Heck, might as well through out the whole card...

Bonner, Danzig, Jones, Dollaway, Kim, and Gugerty.
    edited July 2009
    Lawdog1521;2700279 said:
    I was wrong, It wasn’t the weigh in it was pre-fight press conference. (Which was Thursday, I just didn’t watch it until today. You can view both at MMAweekly.com)

But in a way that makes it worse. The whole point is to talk to the press and he throws a little fit. The idea is a person representing your sport has to put their best foot forward, not act like Brock. He’s openly said he doesn’t even care about MMA, he does it for the money. I don’t want that mentality in my sport. (As if I own it or something.)

Brock and Kimbo are the same league in my book.
    Well, his interview with ESPN was on Friday, and he seemed genuinely happy to talk to the sports press, so there must be some kind of conflict behind the scenes that we don't know about.

But Kimbo and Brock aren't in the same league. Brock is an actual fighter. Kimbo is trash.
  • moose39moose39 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    FloodOne;2701380 said:
    Kimbo is trash.
    This. I only watch Kimbo fights for comedic purposes only.