My First Concert...Questions.

IErrantVentureIIErrantVentureI Road Warrior
edited July 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
Hey all.

On August 17th, I'll be going to see Sir Paul McCartney at the BOK Center in Tulsa, OK. I'm very excited seeing as I've been a lifelong fan (I'm 18) of the Beatles, Wings, and Paul himself. But seeing as it's my first EVER concert, I had a few questions I was hoping you musically oriented people could answer!

1. How are tickets handed out? They go on sale at 10AM on the 20th. The tickets I want are $253 each and I plan on getting one for my girlfriend as well. (Shh, it's a surprise. Don't tell her.) Does that mean if I buy mine the exact second I am allowed to, does that mean I'll get like, front row or very close up front? I really want floor seats if I can. I know you can see the stage just fine from anywhere else, but I want that full experience.

Here is a link to the stage for reference.

2. Why the heck do American Express Cardholders get a presale? Does that mean they'll get all the good seats? The presale starts tomorrow at 10AM. But why do they get to pick first?

3. What's your personal favorite seat to watch a concert? (Front row, standing room, nose-bleed seats, etc.)

4. Is $253 a good price? I'm going to have to borrow a credit card and pay them off, because I can't afford them flat out.

5. How early should I arrive? Doors open at 6:30, show starts at 8:00.

If I have more, I'll ask them.

Excuse my ignorance if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. It's because I don't. That's why I'm asking! :)

Thank you!

Comments

• neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    that's a lot of money! :eek:

more than i would spend....i don't feel like reading the rest
  • JohnTheDrummerJohnTheDrummer Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    1. Order them online or go to an outlet and buy the tickets.

2. It happens, and yes they'll most likely get the good tickets.

3. Either front or in the middleish area.

4. That is friggin expensive... but I guess since its him its worth it... I guess.

5. 5:00pm
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited July 2009
    Better hope your GF doesn't read this thread. Also, I'm jealous.
  • edited July 2009
    Thats way too much. I like standing room only. And just because youre on the website at the time the tickets go on sale, doesn't mean that you will be able to get them right then. Sometimes you have to wait in a (digital) line for up to 30 minutes. But I really think that is way too much for a ticket. He's just doing this tour for the paycheck obviously.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited July 2009
    1. Assuming you're buying them online (most likely Ticketmaster), you'll try as fast as you can to get the best seats possible. For big shows (like this), you'll have to wait in a digital queue for a while, so you're not going to get your first choice seats. Beyond that, most of the absolute best seats (front row type stuff) are typically given out to friends of the artist/management/venue/people with ridiculous amounts of money. You're not sitting front row.

2. Because AmEx has a deal with whoever is running the concert that they likely paid for. They then advertise it in order to get more people to sign up for AmEx. Yes, they'll take the good seats.

3. I prefer smaller gigs (bars, clubs, etc), and I'm typically near the front (though I'll mix it up depending on the band playing). It's very rare I go to a seated event, and ticket prices typically dictate where I sit.

4. No, it's expensive. There are worse prices for even bigger artists, though. Most of my concerts range from $8 to $40.

5. If you've got an assigned seat, I'd say not too early (6:30). If you're fighting for a good standing room spot and being up front is important to you, then probably around 5:30.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    1. How are tickets handed out? They go on sale at 10AM on the 20th. The tickets I want are $253 each and I plan on getting one for my girlfriend as well. (Shh, it's a surprise. Don't tell her.) Does that mean if I buy mine the exact second I am allowed to, does that mean I'll get like, front row or very close up front? I really want floor seats if I can. I know you can see the stage just fine from anywhere else, but I want that full experience.

Floor seats are terrible if you really want the experience of seeing a concert (but more on that later). What seats you'll end up getting when you go to order are highly dependent on how many pre-orders there were and how many people have a faster internet connection/phone fingers than you. The last time Paul McCartney came to Toronto, the best tickets you could get 1 minute after tickets went on sale were the nosebleed sections. So it depends highly on interest and how fast people are at scooping tickets. So, do not necessarily expect great seats, even if you order quickly.

Here is a link to the stage for reference.

2. Why the heck do American Express Cardholders get a presale? Does that mean they'll get all the good seats? The presale starts tomorrow at 10AM. But why do they get to pick first?

American Express is undoubtedly a major sponsor of the tour, and thus they get special priveledges that they can pass along to their clients. This is normal.

3. What's your personal favorite seat to watch a concert? (Front row, standing room, nose-bleed seats, etc.)

Unless you can get absolute front row (and I doubt you can), DO NOT go for floor seats, you won't be able to see a thing and miss out on a great concert. I would suggest first row of the stands, just off to the side of the stage (however, not incredibly close to the stage, as you don't want to be looking at the side of the band all night). This way you're elevated enough off of the floor to see over all the idiots who stand up, and are still close enough to get a full experience. I had seats like this to see The Who in 2002, and it was the best concert experience I have ever been to. The best place is about halfway between the stage and the curl in the stands at the back.

4. Is $253 a good price? I'm going to have to borrow a credit card and pay them off, because I can't afford them flat out.

If you have to borrow a credit card because you can't afford the tickets, then you shouldn't be buying them. $253 is amazingly high, even for concert tickets. The most I spent was for The Who in 2002 (for those great seats) and those were $150. I would not spend more than that on tickets to a concert. Yes, it's a great experience and will give you memories. HOWEVER, you can get cheaper tickets and still have all of those memories. (Balcony is also a good place to watch a concert from).

5. How early should I arrive? Doors open at 6:30, show starts at 8:00.

I would suggest arriving about 30 minutes to an hour before doors open. Although it really doesn't matter as this isn't festival seating and you can show up 5 minutes before the show starts and still get your seat.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to PN09 in Milwaukee and it's $80 a ticket...

$253? **** that.
  • IErrantVentureIIErrantVentureI Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Alright. I'm getting my ticket paid for since my birthday is a few days before that. But I do gotta cough up the money for my girlfriend.

I want floor seats, but if like you say, it'll be hard to see over people, I might change my mind...

And the BOK Center website is where I'm getting the tickets. Not from tickets.com or anything.

How much money should I bring with me for souvenirs and things like that?
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    By god that's expensive I got to see 11 days of concerts for $99
    This year's line up
    Last year's line up (significantly better than this year's)

Also something Hilarius you could have saw the Beatles from $2- 8.50 link Shea stadium was only 5.65 ish http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg7/shea65.htm
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    voodoo618;2708339 said:
    I'm going to PN09 in Milwaukee and it's $80 a ticket...

$253? **** that.
    Really my PN09 ticket was $30?
  • LlamaactionLlamaaction Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I saw Paul in Seattle for $98, and about five roews from front. You can get a better deal.
  • IErrantVentureIIErrantVentureI Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Llamaaction;2708966 said:
    I saw Paul in Seattle for $98, and about five roews from front. You can get a better deal.
    Where are the better deals?
  • edited July 2009
    General Lein979;2708914 said:
    By god that's expensive I got to see 11 days of concerts for $99
    This year's line up
    Last year's line up (significantly better than this year's)

Also something Hilarius you could have saw the Beatles from $2- 8.50 link Shea stadium was only 5.65 ish http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg7/shea65.htm
    I was up there on the day Heart was playing. My uncle, my cousin and I just went back by that military boat and listened from there. We only stayed for Betty something. Pretty boring. I wish I was up there for Joan Jett though
    edited July 2009
    IErrantVentureI;2708884 said:

How much money should I bring with me for souvenirs and things like that?
    For "major" tours like this one, a single T-Shirt is gonna cost you $30+. It's better off just not buying any and getting their surplus shirts online a few months from now for 1/2 the price.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited July 2009
    your first concert is Paul McCartney? damn, lucky.
  • Gatorguy91Gatorguy91 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Oscar-Rio;2714100 said:
    Mine was, too. And to double the luck, it was at the super bowl.
  • edited July 2009
    Mystlyfe77;2714057 said:
    For "major" tours like this one, a single T-Shirt is gonna cost you $30+. It's better off just not buying any and getting their surplus shirts online a few months from now for 1/2 the price.
    My shirt at the AC/DC concert was 45 bucks. But even at smaller concerts, they overprice the shirts
    edited July 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2714151 said:
    My shirt at the AC/DC concert was 45 bucks. But even at smaller concerts, they overprice the shirts
    That depends on how small we're talking. An arena/seated show is gonna be in the $30-50 range for a shirt. A large club/venue show is gonna be probably $25. A small club/concert venue is gonna be $20-25 for the headliner and $15-20 for the openers. A bar/tiny venue show is gonna be $10-15.
    For instance, I got my Wolves in the Throne Room shirt for $12. The Sword cost me $15. Black Cobra cost me $12.
    Just another reason I love tiny shows more.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited July 2009
    There is not a band I like enough to pay $250 to see in concert. Talk about gouging the fans.

And if I never see another stadium show in my lifetime, it will be too soon. I prefer smaller venues where you're pretty much guaranteed a good seat. That said, I agree with whofan. Unless you can get seats within the first handful of rows, stay away from floor seats, and try for the first row of the first elevated section, in a section where you have a fairly front-on view of the stage.

I also agree with whofan that if you have to borrow a credit card to pay for the ticket, you may want to reconsider whether this is a luxury you can afford. Concerts are awesome, but not when you have to fudge your funds to swing it.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Fizzeler;2708931 said:
    Really my PN09 ticket was $30?
    You don't have a good seat. ;)

Where are you going?
  • Buffdog18Buffdog18 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    That amount of money made my brain explode, now I must rely on my pet hampster to keep me alive.

Honestly I wouldn't go for that amount though.
  • edited July 2009
    Mystlyfe77;2714179 said:
    That depends on how small we're talking. An arena/seated show is gonna be in the $30-50 range for a shirt. A large club/venue show is gonna be probably $25. A small club/concert venue is gonna be $20-25 for the headliner and $15-20 for the openers. A bar/tiny venue show is gonna be $10-15.
    For instance, I got my Wolves in the Throne Room shirt for $12. The Sword cost me $15. Black Cobra cost me $12.
    Just another reason I love tiny shows more.
    Morrissey was at a standing room only place and that shirt was 30. New York Dolls was at a very small venue and the shirt was 25 bucks (the ticket to that show was 17 bucks)
    edited July 2009
    TheClashTheClashTheClash;2714359 said:
    Morrissey was at a standing room only place and that shirt was 30. New York Dolls was at a very small venue and the shirt was 25 bucks (the ticket to that show was 17 bucks)
    What do you consider a "small venue?"
    I'm talking literal bars (often with a capacity of around 100 people) and places like that. Tickets in the $5-15 range usually.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Oscar-Rio;2714100 said:
    Mine was too. Toronto 2002
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    topperharley;2714230 said:
    There is not a band I like enough to pay $250 to see in concert. Talk about gouging the fans.

And if I never see another stadium show in my lifetime, it will be too soon. I prefer smaller venues where you're pretty much guaranteed a good seat. That said, I agree with whofan. Unless you can get seats within the first handful of rows, stay away from floor seats, and try for the first row of the first elevated section, in a section where you have a fairly front-on view of the stage.

I also agree with whofan that if you have to borrow a credit card to pay for the ticket, you may want to reconsider whether this is a luxury you can afford. Concerts are awesome, but not when you have to fudge your funds to swing it.
    Somebody actually agreed with me (Who isn't T-Hybrid or Aggiesrule8)?! I'm going to frame this!!!
  • KevhouseKevhouse Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Honestly, that's way too much money for any concert. Unless that $253 gets you in backstage, or something. Lollapalooza is less than that, and it's a 3-day event. Don't waste your money.

If you decide to go anyway, don't go with the floor seats. Your girlfriend probably wouldn't like it, and if this is your first concert experience, you probably won't like it. Legit seats are the way to go.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited July 2009
    I know the "small venue" question wasn't directed at me, but I would consider a small venue to be anything with a capacity of ~2,000 or smaller.
    whofan;2714463 said:
    Somebody actually agreed with me (Who isn't T-Hybrid or Aggiesrule8)?! I'm going to frame this!!!
    I seem to remember agreeing with you on a few past occasions as well, but I didn't expressly state as such. :D
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    topperharley;2715069 said:
    I know the "small venue" question wasn't directed at me, but I would consider a small venue to be anything with a capacity of ~2,000 or smaller.

I seem to remember agreeing with you on a few past occasions as well, but I didn't expressly state as such. :D
    I like you :D