Bioshock 2 is Delayed!

BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
edited July 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
Take-Two release schedule for 2009 just took a massive blow, as the company just announced a decision to move BioShock 2's release back. BioShock 2 will no longer be released in 2009; the return to Rapture has officially been moved to fiscal 2010. Take-Two has not specified exactly what a "fiscal 2010" release means.

The company did not provide many details about the reasons for BioShock 2's unexpected delay, other than a desire to provide additional development time to "ensure that this title will deliver what its fans expect and deserve," and hopes 2010 will provide a more upbeat retail environment.

"The decision to shift a release date is never an easy one, especially with a product as highly anticipated as BioShock 2," said Take-Two CEO in the press release. "We felt that it was essential to invest the additional time to ensure that this title will deliver what its fans expect and deserve. As a result, we will now be launching sequels to several of our strongest franchises - including BioShock 2, Mafia II, Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption - during the next fiscal year."

Source: G4-The Feed

------------------------------------------
Updated:

The unexpected delay of BioShock 2 has been given a little more clarity this afternoon, as Take-Two Interactive held a conference call to discuss the news with analysts. Take-Two has clarified BioShock 2 will arrive in the first half of 2010, but provided no further specifics on when BioShock 2 would drop. Spring? Early summer? No idea just yet.

On the call, Take-Two executives categorized the delay of BioShock 2 as being related to development overall (they were called "development issues") and not related to a problem with development in a single platform or related to an individual gameplay feature.

The delay was necessary, argued Take-Two, because BioShock is considered an "extremely valuable franchse" and releasing BioShock 2 before it was ready would do "damage to brand equity and fan loyalty." A subpar BioShock 2 would hurt the "longterm value of the BioShock franchise," reiterating Take-Two's previous views that BioShock 2 is not the end of the BioShock games, but simply a stepping stone to others.

Source

Comments

• soni546soni546 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    fiscal means basically every other year

Like the Call of duty series or Resistance and Ratchet and clank.
    Resistance franchise swaps with R&C. Last year was R2 and this year will be Ratchet and Clank. This 2 games will be swap years.

Infinty Ward, 2 years ago released COD4. Last year, Treyarch released COD5. This year, with Infinity ward back, COD6 is in the making. Infinity Ward and Treyarch will be fiscal.
  • DrifterUKDrifterUK Awesome Lake Ninja
    edited July 2009
    Well that sucks. I was looking forward to that. I suppose it could be worse, it could've been cancelled...
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited July 2009
    DrifterUK;2710813 said:
    Well that sucks. I was looking forward to that. I suppose it could be worse, it could've been cancelled...
    Yeah, exactly.

I would've hated for that game to get canceled. I was anticipating it since I saw the teaser a long time ago.
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited July 2009
    I Updated the OP with some new information regarding the Delay. If I find anymore regarding this, the OP will be updated.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    This deserves a sad face. :(
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited July 2009
    soni546;2710731 said:
    No it doesn't. The fiscal year is any 12-month period (determined by the company) in which it logs and submits it's annual fiscal (financial) reports. Most companies' fiscal years end close to the end of March (often adjusted to end on the last day of a week).

So, this probably means sometime in April-June.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    soni546;2710731 said:

Resistance franchise swaps with R&C. Last year was R2 and this year will be Ratchet and Clank. This 2 games will be swap years.

Infinty Ward, 2 years ago released COD4. Last year, Treyarch released COD5. This year, with Infinity ward back, COD6 is in the making. Infinity Ward and Treyarch will be fiscal.
    Lolwut.
  • NormanCoxwellNormanCoxwell Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I heard of this. Could care less myself. When it comes it comes and then i will play it. I say let them take their time to make it incredible.
  • moose39moose39 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I saw this coming from a mile away. Yesterday I find out they hired a FOURTH developer to help them, and I KNEW that this would happen.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    man i was lookin forward to this game. Assasin's Creed, u are officially my must get this fall
  • NormanCoxwellNormanCoxwell Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    rockfresh126;2711089 said:
    man i was lookin forward to this game. Assasin's Creed, u are officially my must get this fall
    I'll pick that up. In all honesty I really dont need to be spending money on games right now though.
  • jonoo24jonoo24 Merch-Table
    edited July 2009
    rockfresh126;2711089 said:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 says hi.
    edited July 2009
    This is to directly compete with PS3's God of war 3.
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Son of a... I preordered this & Assasin's Creed 2 last like January... And if it is released to compete with God of War... They're basically giving away GOTY because god of war 3 is f'ing amazing!
    edited July 2009
    n4sc4r;2711194 said:
    Son of a... I preordered this & Assasin's Creed 2 last like January... And if it is released to compete with God of War... They're basically giving away GOTY because god of war 3 is f'ing amazing!
    It won't even be close.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited July 2009
    soni546;2710731 said:

This is probably the most confusing post I have ever read.
  • soni546soni546 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009