The future of Rock Band DLC.

jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
edited September 2009 in Rock Band
There is an uncountable number of bands out there wishing they could debut there song on Rock Band. They may never get a chance though because they are too obscure. But what if they could get there chance?

I can see, in a few years from now and a few rock band sequels later, Harmonix developing a special program that allows a band to take their own master recordings, and program their own note charts onto rock band.

I don't know if this is true or not but i'm sure a band can get a hold of its own master recordings for free. So, they take their recordings and upload each track onto a computer and add it to this program. Then, someone sets up the notes for the chart of each level of difficulty(for vocals, there will be a special program that charts the vocals for you. all you have to do is type in the lyrics and choose when the note should be a talkie or not). Then, you upload the finished product to a special section of the music store as a free DLC selection.

At first, it won't be used much, note charts will be sloppy and off, and there will be the occasional song where the note chart is 'OMGWTFBBQ' to s simple acoustic strum(There will be new employee who check the songs before they are released to check for the WTF charts and the million covers of famous bands). But in time, there will be a rather large selection of Free DLC for all the obscure bands who probably wouldn't have gotten noticed otherwise. Sales for these bands shoot up, they gain recognition and fans, and there is a large plethora of Free songs for people who want it. But still, this program is rather low key and they may not have broken the 100 number(while still, anything over about 50 is large). Then, something amazing happens....

A large band and/or well known artist who wants to be in Rock Band(Rob Thomas, Weird Al, Yes) comes along and starts to a free track or 2 on this program. Suddenly, more people begin to use the program and there is a large increase in the number of songs. People begin to become professional 'note charters and are actually being hired to chart songs for a band. Small businesses who chart songs begin to open up. And the number of these Free songs slowly and surely catches the number of actual DLC Harmonix is putting out.

This is how I view the future of Rock Band DLC.

I would personally love a program that allowed you to chart your own songs and put it up as free DLC(similar to GHTunes).

EDIT: HOLY SH*T! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED FOR REAL! I'M F*CKING JUMPING FOR JOY RIGHT NOW!
LINK:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4d0b1b4303c83997ea8bf1f3ea673d95

*Goes out to make a band so he can have fun charting his own songs to rock band*

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Bront20;2714844 said:
    Now, if bands could pay to have HMX chart the song and put it up for free or a $1, I could see that as a potential revenue stream for HMX and a way for bands to get into RB that might not otherwise do so.
    Now why would they do this if Harmonix is currently paying them to have Harmonix chart it, and putting it up for a full $2?
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    I believe before we get to that, Rock Band will change from using controllers on a game console to having a specific RB system where you can plug in real instruments. Remember, Harmonix innovates.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited July 2009
    sayburr;2714864 said:
    i believe before we get to that, rock band will change from using controllers on a game console to having a specific rb system where you can plug in real instruments. Remember, harmonix innovates.
    please please please!!!!

I would love that!!!

Please!!!
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited July 2009
    Sayburr;2714864 said:
    I believe before we get to that, Rock Band will change from using controllers on a game console to having a specific RB system where you can plug in real instruments. Remember, Harmonix innovates.
    I believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny and Bigfoot.

Santa says no, because he’s not carrying around a bunch of noisy crap that will hurt his back. (His words, not mine.)

The Easter Bunny says cool… but he just plans on breaking in and hiding everything anyway. That’s how he rolls.

Bigfoot’s not impressed. He says the feasibility of introducing such a radical concept into the modern game market wouldn’t be economically viable and the general consumer would be slow to accept such a concept. This would cause a regression in the currently robust game industry resulting in job reductions and compounding the record setting levels of unemployment.

He then took some grainy photos of himself and ran away.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited July 2009
    overdriveguitarman;2715072 said:
    :(
    Don't be sad little buddy... he came back.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2009
    Bront20;2714844 said:
    Now, if bands could pay to have HMX chart the song and put it up for free or a $1, I could see that as a potential revenue stream for HMX and a way for bands to get into RB that might not otherwise do so.
    GNFfhqwhgads;2714860 said:
    Now why would they do this if Harmonix is currently paying them to have Harmonix chart it, and putting it up for a full $2?
    I'm talking about small bands that need the exposure. It'd be like buying advertising, and they'd likely get some returns for the $1 price tag.

Not all license prices are created equal I'm sure.
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    jjdude1;2714796 said:

I can see, in a few years from now and a few rock band sequels later, Harmonix developing a special program that allows a band to take their own master recordings, and program their own note charts onto rock band.
    We will also have flying cars by the 1960's. If HMX could develop such a program, they would, but they won't, because they can't. The charting process is completely by hand, with musicians listening to the tracks and figuring out how to make a time consistent playable chart out of it. There is no direct path from guitar note to color on chart. Drumming not so hard. Nor keyboards. Vocals just weird. But the major problem is guitar. There are literally an infinite number of sounds possible.

OK, cost to chart. This is an old topic, and I estimate about $10,000 in labor to chart and QA a song. I have no idea what the costs are to host on Sony/MS/Nintendo web sites.
  • InsaneDelightInsaneDelight Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Sayburr;2714864 said:

I don't know how popular that would be, but they might eventually have fake insturments that have self-contained processors, storage and wi-fi so you don't need a console.

But to have real insturments would be very very niche and would likely price out a bunch of people.
  • crivitcrivit Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I don't see it happening simply becasue HMX cares about the quality of thier games too much to let anyone outside the company do the charting.

I would like to see a program to get more unkown/unsigned bands into the game though. Ideally HMX would accept submissions from bands interested in being in the game just for the exposure. Release the worthy submissions on a regular schedule, something like a free 3 pack a month or so. It promotes the bands, promotes the concept of DLC, all while upping the total song count and free song count, both of which could be used as bragging rights over GH. I don't know if it would be finacially feasable to do it though.
  • RoCKHeR0_GaLaXYT0URRoCKHeR0_GaLaXYT0UR Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    jjdude1;2714796 said:
    There is an uncountable number of bands out there wishing they could debut there song on Rock Band. They may never get a chance though because they are too obscure. But what if they could get there chance?

I would personally love a program that allowed you to chart your own songs and put it up as free DLC(similar to GHTunes).
    Didn't that fail for Guitar hero for the most part i have not seen anyone really use it in Metallica or smash hits.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This sounds like FoF on bigger scale to me. You don't know what you are asking and how much work this will be.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I can't see HMX or any company in their right mind giving software to labels or indie groups to chart their own songs. What is going to stop one label from handing their charts over to Guitar Hero or another Guitar game? Who's going to police the software, the labels and the employees? What's going to stop somebody from pirating the software?

The way I see a decent indie movement in Rock Band is for HMX to create a team , maybe a whole division, solely focused on indie labels/groups. Indie labels/groups contact HMX, provide the necessary material, and release one or two songs a week for free or $0.50 or $1 along side the paid DLC. We will still get the "bigger" groups but at the same time have a small spotlight on one or two bands each week.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    jjdude1;2714796 said:

If Hautewerk can get 3 songs in RB, ANY band has a chance of getting into the game.

/thread
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    crivit;2715316 said:
    I don't see it happening simply becasue HMX cares about the quality of thier games too much to let anyone outside the company do the charting.

I would like to see a program to get more unkown/unsigned bands into the game though. Ideally HMX would accept submissions from bands interested in being in the game just for the exposure. Release the worthy submissions on a regular schedule, something like a free 3 pack a month or so. It promotes the bands, promotes the concept of DLC, all while upping the total song count and free song count, both of which could be used as bragging rights over GH. I don't know if it would be finacially feasable to do it though.
    Yeah - every second month say release an MTV pack with some of the lesser known obscure up and coming bands... make the pack half price (free is too much an expense on both parties i say) and anyone who likes what they hear or the charts can give them a punt at an agreeable price - Hautewerk suffered as they cost the same as Iron Maiden, Greenday and No Doubt etc per song...unless you have loads of cash to burn your gonna spend it on the songs and bands you know not gamble on something blindly in the hope it grows on you.

I have yet and promise this to be the truth met anyone who was dissapointed in the quality of the cheap MTV pack we have already for download...someone will probably flame it now but it surprised a lot of people and its been getting some appeal still with pricing and word of mouth (Bullets and Guns is an absolute blast for me, i even sing it on occasion)
  • SportzterSportzter Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    jjdude1;2714796 said:

I don't know if this is true or not but i'm sure a band can get a hold of its own master recordings for free. So, they take their recordings and upload each track onto a computer and add it to this program. Then, someone sets up the notes for the chart of each level of difficulty(for vocals, there will be a special program that charts the vocals for you. all you have to do is type in the lyrics and choose when the note should be a talkie or not). Then, you upload the finished product to a special section of the music store as a free DLC selection.

At first, it won't be used much, note charts will be sloppy and off, and there will be the occasional song where the note chart is 'OMGWTFBBQ' to s simple acoustic strum(There will be new employee who check the songs before they are released to check for the WTF charts and the million covers of famous bands). But in time, there will be a rather large selection of Free DLC for all the obscure bands who probably wouldn't have gotten noticed otherwise. Sales for these bands shoot up, they gain recognition and fans, and there is a large plethora of Free songs for people who want it. But still, this program is rather low key and they may not have broken the 100 number(while still, anything over about 50 is large). Then, something amazing happens....

A large band and/or well known artist who wants to be in Rock Band(Rob Thomas, Weird Al, Yes) comes along and starts to a free track or 2 on this program. Suddenly, more people begin to use the program and there is a large increase in the number of songs. People begin to become professional 'note charters and are actually being hired to chart songs for a band. Small businesses who chart songs begin to open up. And the number of these Free songs slowly and surely catches the number of actual DLC Harmonix is putting out.

This is how I view the future of Rock Band DLC.

Well it is a unique concept in terms of the band doing the work, but it is probably not practical. As it has already been talked about, charting music is not for amateurs. What HMX does is clearly done with some level of expertise.

I cant think of why HMX would get out of the business of charting songs, since it is one of those items that defines HMX's games. If you look on the forums, there are a number of threads on how much better the charting is as opposed to GH, for example.

It costs money to chart the songs, bands would want some cut of the royalties as would HMX, the Console of choice among others.

I would think that when HMX decides to do a song or album, they pay the band/label etc for the rights to do this. HMX is also looking at the bottom line and are they going to "Make" money after they pay all of their up front costs out over time based on sales.

How does HMX make money over time if A. no one buys the songs to the level that is needed or B. The song is given away for free?
  • edited July 2009
    This thread got posted last week. And now I can finally say:

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

:eek:
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2730090 said:
    This thread got posted last week. And now I can finally say:

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

:eek:
    mind blown.

Apples is a seer of things yet to pass.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    amazing thread.

well done, OP.

when i read it initially, i was skeptical at best, but didn't feel the need to rain on the rainy parade.

glad i kept my mouth shut.

take that, haters!
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And I was wrong.
  • ArramisArramis Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    This could be the most fantastic thing possible for RB!! Not just for Indie bands or unknown bands, but major bands could upload their entire catalogs! Imagine AC/DC uploading every one of their albums for D/L. SIMPLY FANTASTIC! well done HMX, well done!!
  • howieduenhowieduen Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2730090 said:
    THE FUTURE IS NOW.
    I always believed in futures.
  • PopCornHopperPopCornHopper Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I was going to agree with the OP on Tuesday, but my computer crashed and... uh... I had a cold and couldn't get to the office.

Timely call, jjdude.
  • Paris903Paris903 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    IT'S RBN! Look at it!
  • edited July 2009
    The timing on this could have not been any better. We are totally sending the OP a tshirt.
  • howieduenhowieduen Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I think the OP was a HMX employee in disguise. He was just throwing the idea out there to elicit an initial response from the community before the official announcement. He/They probably had a good laugh at our expense.
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited July 2009
    I've heard this mentioned several times over the years, but my jaw just dropped when I saw the video realizing it was no longer a fantasy.

(think I may have to slow down my DLC addiction because this is about to get CRAZY! :eek:)
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited July 2009
    Everyone here on the dev team had a good chuckle about this thread when we saw it earlier this week.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    wow this is simply amazing, either op is from the future, or he can see the future, or he is an HMX employee ;)

and welcome HMXMister_Game, 1st post ?

p.s. now i just cant wait to see what the future holds for us, this is simply awesome.
    Congrats HMX