ElegyElegy Road Warrior
edited May 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
So, who's a fan?

So far, I've played/beat:

FE7 [the one that came out for GBA]
FE8 [The Sacred Stones]
and FE6 [Shh.]
And I think I played a little bit off...Thracia? [again, shh.]

Haven't had a chance to play the ones on Gamecube or the Wii yet, and I'm currently OBSESSED with Shadow Dragon, the remake of the first one for the DS.

I think I've liked 5 the best so far...I did a bit of it's hard mode, and it's easily the toughest thing I've ever done. But it had great length, a deep story, and pretty interesting characters.

With Shadow Dragon, I've been doing the 5 Star hard mode, which is the hardest mode in the game, and it's nearly as tough as 5, but I'm getting there. Incredibly engrossing gameplay, which makes up for a lack of story.

Comments

• WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Hmm your numbering is too low by one, the first one that came out in the states was FE7, that is the one with Eliwood and Hector and Lyn. FE 6 was also for GBA but was not released here. Sacred Stones was 8. I have played all of the GBA ones, and also all of the SNES ones, but the only one of those I have played a lot is FE4 (the one with Sigurd as the main character for the first half), and it is by far my favorite of the series. FE6 and 7 are both very good as well but I felt that the series took a downturn on Sacred Stones, there were aspects about it that felt like they were designed to cater to a more casual gaming crowd and the game overall is significantly easier than past ones. I have not played any for GC or Wii so maybe that was a one time misstep (I hope).
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Ahhh thanks man. So have you played FE 6 then?

I like Sacred Stones...I mean, it was really easy, but I did kind of dig it. And Seth is easily the most likeable "week promoted unit" you get at the beginning of the game, IMO. But I understand your criticism.

I still hope we can get an english version of FE 6, would love to play that on the go.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    My brother played Fire Emblem a bit more than I did, and his favorite was also FE4. The GC Fire Emblem was actually pretty good, but the Wii one sorta dragged on too long, and the story was pretty awful.

The only Fire Emblem I really played all the way through was FE7 (the first one that came out in the states). I had kinda started playing a few others (Gaiden, FE4, Sacred Stones), but for some reason or another, I always stopped.

I would recommend trying Gaiden (FE2), as it was actually pretty different from the other Fire Emblems. It's just interesting how it's sorta a different take on the series.

When you say FE5, you mean the one with Roy (FE6) right? I never played that one, but my brother wasn't a huge fan of it.
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    FE6 is pretty good but I did not like as much as 7. One of the things I love about 7 is the support system, finding out characters backstories a little bit at a time through repeated playthroughs. FE6's support system is a lot more finicky, it's harder to specifically target the supports you want, and, worst of all, the game as far as I could tell (maybe this unlocks after you beat the game?) does not keep track of which supports you have gotten on previous playthroughs. FE7's support system, in contrast, is very intuitive, and once you unlock a support convo you can always see which ones you have gotten from the main menu.

That said the gameplay in 4 kicks the crap out of any other FE game I have played and in truth it kicks the crap out out of almost every other game I have ever played period, the battles feel epic and are so fun.
  • Lily_MuLily_Mu RB Wii Super Fan
    edited July 2009
    The Dawn of something one on Wii was really good.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited April 2013
    Reviving the thread so that I can possibly talk strategy about the latest game, Awakening, with y'all. Which pairings did you select for the children?

Gaius, Donnel and Male Avatar in my opinion be paired up with Sully, Nowi and Tharja respectively so that they can pass on Galeforce for those children. This is one of those rare instances where you can't be lame with the female character, unless you want want the Conquerer ability from Walhart.
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited May 2013
    Elegy;2714819 said:

Haven't had a chance to play the ones on Gamecube or the Wii yet, and I'm currently OBSESSED with Shadow Dragon, the remake of the first one for the DS.

With Shadow Dragon, I've been doing the 5 Star hard mode, which is the hardest mode in the game, and it's nearly as tough as 5, but I'm getting there. Incredibly engrossing gameplay, which makes up for a lack of story.

I've been playing Shadow Dragon recently. I played Fire Emblem (7) and Sacred Stones for the GBA years ago, and I liked them very much.

Shadow Dragon is more streamlined than both these games (it is an updated NES game after all), and I like it for that reason. The lack of a deep plot keeps me focused on the gameplay, which is the main reason I enjoy FE anyway.

However, I'm not very good. I'm currently playing on H1 Hard Mode, and I'm like "WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF?"
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited May 2013
    The new 3DS Fire Emblem is really, really good. The localization team did a lovely job of giving each character a memorable personality that sets them apart from the others, and that's a mighty job when there are so many different playable characters in the game. I'm on my second playthrough now, and that doesn't usually happen with strategy games or RPGs.
    edited May 2013
    Try lunatic +, you're going to need DLC to grind away to even consider keeping on par with your units.
    edited May 2013
    Lunatic or the other higher difficulties aren't for me. In fact, I wouldn't have played this Fire Emblem if there wasn't the Casual mode. I'm not great at the game, and in the older FE games, I would lose tons of units from making poor decisions or accidentally getting swarmed. Since they died and never came back, I got frustrated and didn't finish them.
    edited May 2013
    kiggidykev;5014350 said:
    Lunatic or the other higher difficulties aren't for me. In fact, I wouldn't have played this Fire Emblem if there wasn't the Casual mode. I'm not great at the game, and in the older FE games, I would lose tons of units from making poor decisions or accidentally getting swarmed. Since they died and never came back, I got frustrated and didn't finish them.

Casual mode is a pretty nice addition, I had to use it for my first attempt on lunatic to see how I could get past the chapter 4 marker so I could quit relying on Frederick.
    edited May 2013
    Oh yeah, Frederick is a BEAST at the start, but by the end he was one of my weaker units.
    edited May 2013
    kiggidykev;5014352 said:
    Oh yeah, Frederick is a BEAST at the start, but by the end he was one of my weaker units.

That's the curse of the pre-promoted unit, they're stats are the equivalent of a Lvl 10 promotion, which is always a horrible choice. If you really want to use him, you'll have to grind him up to level 10 for a second seal and help fix his horrible base stats. I personally didn't bother using him other then acquiring Aegis to pass onto Cynthia, to make her more defensive to the point she can dodge hits and take half when she does get hit.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited May 2013
    Awakening was the reason I dusted off the 3DS.

I started Hard/Casual in the hopes that my second run would be Hard/Classic. It scared me enough to switch to Normal for my first Classic run.

If I have one problem habit, it's that I spread my experience too thinly, so I don't have a "star" unit able to thin out waves of enemies. Probably stems from not wanting to leave units behind and completely unable to catch up. I need to plan my runs better.
    edited May 2013
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;5014518 said:
    Awakening was the reason I dusted off the 3DS.

I started Hard/Casual in the hopes that my second run would be Hard/Classic. It scared me enough to switch to Normal for my first Classic run.

If I have one problem habit, it's that I spread my experience too thinly, so I don't have a "star" unit able to thin out waves of enemies. Probably stems from not wanting to leave units behind and completely unable to catch up. I need to plan my runs better.

On the normal runs, the enemy will always pinpoint your weakest character regardless of hit ratio. You can send out a thief and let him bait high enemies while you pick away at the stray fools with stronger foes. On hard, the enemy will flank themselves towards the smallest units while still keeping a strong force able to withstand a wave of attack. Don't lead with weak people, since they will die if they can't successfully knock them out. Lunatic is a whole different ball park, but Pair Up is your best friend with breeding skills as well.