Where's the post-rock representation?

JimmyB101JimmyB101 Unsigned
edited May 2011 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Searched for "post-rock", found nothing. If there's already a thread, I apologize.

So, anyway, where's the post-rock? I can't think of even one song on either disc or as DLC that fits into the genre. Surely, some people must want it. Everybody loves weird time signatures, sudden changes in dynamics and strange, abstract sounds, right? :P Any Tortoise fans out there?

So, who else wants post-rock? If you do, vote yes and then say which band. If not, vote no and then please explain why!

Comments

  • deatheatsdeatheats Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't mind a song or two from Slint.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    it'll be tough finding stuff well-suited for the game, but it would be shame if we didn't see at least a few tunes.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Battles - "Tonto".

    Please HMX? :)
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Sigur Ros
    Explosions In The Sky
    Mono
    Slint
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    mum
    Moving Mountains
    Broken Social Scene
    God Is An Astronaut
    Mogwai
    Your Ten Mofo

    also official Sigur Ros thread~ http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89590


    and yes i would want more Post Rock :D
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Post-Rock would be DA BLAST! :D

    [B]SIGUR R
  • Fragory123Fragory123 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    The total lack of Sigur Ros in Rock Band makes me sad.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    No, because post-rock is stupid and terrible.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Coldplayer;2725596 said:


    @necker: How could you not metion your ten mofo? :( (I know the chance we see them is 0%, but still)
    yeah, i knew i forgot someone
    Fragory123;2726140 said:
    The total lack of Sigur Ros in Rock Band makes me sad.
    me too :(
    overcookedbacon;2726203 said:
    No, because post-rock is stupid and terrible.
    sarcasm? :confused: otherwise :eek:
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited July 2009
    post-rock should be included, but i don't know how fun a lot of it would realistically be.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    neckermanncj;2726812 said:
    sarcasm? :confused: otherwise :eek:
    I'm totally serious, why would I joke about something like that? Post-rock is perhaps the worst excuse for rock music there is. It's incredibly boring to listen to.

    How weird would it be if I was like that?
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    overcookedbacon;2727046 said:
    I'm totally serious, why would I joke about something like that? Post-rock is perhaps the worst excuse for rock music there is. It's incredibly boring to listen to.

    How weird would it be if I was like that?
    :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :confused:

    ...........



    it's not rock music, it's post rock music :(



    EDIT: are you joking or not? :confused: if you don't include the :rolleyes: i won't know. It's hard to detect sarcasm on the internet
  • RedBaron45RedBaron45 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    overcookedbacon;2727046 said:
    I'm totally serious, why would I joke about something like that? Post-rock is perhaps the worst excuse for rock music there is. It's incredibly boring to listen to.

    How weird would it be if I was like that?
    That's a little harsh. I thought you liked Slint?
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    RedBaron45;2727201 said:
    That's a little harsh. I thought you liked Slint?
    overcookedbacon;2727046 said:


    How weird would it be if I was like that?
    see i'm not really sure if he is or not.... :confused:
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    RedBaron45;2727201 said:
    That's a little harsh. I thought you liked Slint?
    I'm possibly one of the biggest post-rock fans on this site. In fact as I was typing my post claiming that post-rock is terrible, I was listening to Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People.

    I absolutely love Slint, Mogwai, Battles, Sigur Ros, Tortoise, Explosions In The Sky, Clogs, June Of 44, Menomena, and of course Broken Social Scene's post-rock stuff (basically just Feel Good Lost).
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    overcookedbacon;2727264 said:
    I'm possibly one of the biggest post-rock fans on this site. In fact as I was typing my post claiming that post-rock is terrible, I was listening to Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People.

    I absolutely love Slint, Mogwai, Battles, Sigur Ros, Tortoise, Explosions In The Sky, Clogs, June Of 44, Menomena, and of course Broken Social Scene's post-rock stuff (basically just Feel Good Lost).
    well in the future identify yourself as such, jeez, i was getting upset that you hated post rock

    :D
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I sort of wonder if the two people who voted "no" so far even know what post-rock is... Somehow I doubt it.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    overcookedbacon;2727326 said:
    I sort of wonder if the two people who voted "no" so far even know what post-rock is... Somehow I doubt it.
    prolly not
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2009
    I approve of this thread. A lot.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Alright_Computer;2728480 said:
    I approve of this thread. A lot.
    :D
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Oscar-Rio;2726958 said:
    post-rock should be included, but i don't know how fun a lot of it would realistically be.
    Just listen to Tonto by Battles and you should know. :D
  • JimmyB101JimmyB101 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Oscar-Rio;2726958 said:
    post-rock should be included, but i don't know how fun a lot of it would realistically be.
    I'm not saying that there should be a "Rock Band: Post-Rock", or something. There's enough post-rock bands that it shouldn't be hard to find something that'd work.

    As mentioned above, Tonto would work great. Also, the song Rainbow from that same album would be amazing. Not many vocals on either song, but reaching the end of Rainbow and having the singer in your band suddenly kick in with the echoing vocals would be the best thing in RB history. Hundreds of times better than the break-followed-by-scream in Won't Get Fooled Again, as awesome as that is.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2009
    Why are people calling a math rock band post-rock?
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Gowienczyk;2740893 said:
    Why are people calling a math rock band post-rock?
    Exclusively to piss you off.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Gowienczyk;2740893 said:
    Why are people calling a math rock band post-rock?
    Like I said in the other Post Rock thread. Battles is also Post-Rock.
  • JimmyB101JimmyB101 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Coldplayer;2741185 said:
    Like I said in the other Post Rock thread. Battles is also Post-Rock.
    Yeah. In fact, I don't really see how they're particularly math rock. Complex drums and strange time signatures are staples of both genres, IIRC.
  • yayrockbandyayrockband Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Math-rock is a kind of stupid term/genre name anyway imo.

    Post-rock is one of my favourite genres. The four post-rock bands I really love are: Mono, Sigur Ros, Dirty Three and Mogwai. There are other good bands out there too (Mum, Explosions in the Sky, Jakob, Saxon Shore) as well as an absolute ton of very average post-rock bands.

    I don't know how many of these would really translate into Rock Band though, since many have no vocal parts at all and the slow/soft parts of the songs would get boring to many people. Sigur Ros and perhaps Mum are probably the most likely.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    EaglesBecomeVultures;3208914 said:
    great
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    I wouldn't enjoy Post-Rock in Rockband, not because I dislike it to any extent (I love post-rock) it's just that the genre (to me at least) seems like it's purpose is to be listened to, nothing else, the emotion some of the great bands produce (GY!BE for example) seems almost impossible to replicate in a game. This type of music has a certain relationship with the listener and I see that putting these songs in rockband would ruin this effect
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Lameboy19;3210990 said:
    I wouldn't enjoy Post-Rock in Rockband, not because I dislike it to any extent (I love post-rock) it's just that the genre (to me at least) seems like it's purpose is to be listened to, nothing else, the emotion some of the great bands produce (GY!BE for example) seems almost impossible to replicate in a game. This type of music has a certain relationship with the listener and I see that putting these songs in rockband would ruin this effect
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNZaQou1kM&feature=related

    maybe it'd be better in rock band, because the people in the background lessen the effect of the music
Sign In or Register to comment.