Post Rock Appreciation Thread

Comments

• neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    xTerp;2734999 said:
    Finally decided to get a link for It May End. Don't know why but the last two minutes of Last Light are one of the best things I've heard in post rock this year.
    i will check it out and let you know

EDIT: that was pretty kool! :D
    if you like some stuff similar to that listen to Untitled 8 by Sigur Ros
    here is the first half, cuts off the last minute, and here is the second half, cuts off like the first minute, piece them together and viola! :D
    afterstasis;2735259 said:
    a few bands i haven't seen mentioned yet...

set fire to flames, jessamine, surface of eceon, hammock, the evpatoria report, *shels, yume bitsu, the ascent of everest, grails, suffocate for f*ck sake, ef, shalabi effect, if these trees could talk, giants, sweek, the seven mile journey, laura, the for carnation, anoice, cheval de frise, the jimmy cake, blueneck, sparrows swarm and sing, rachel's, magyar posse, autistic daughters, and the pax cecilia.
    i can honestly say that i've never heard any of those bands! :eek: :rolleyes:
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2735289 said:
    I am pretty new to Post rock, but what I have heard I have liked a LOT.
    well that's what the links are for! you really cannot go wrong anywhere with Post Rock! :D
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited July 2009
    xTerp;2734999 said:
    Finally decided to get a link for It May End. Don't know why but the last two minutes of Last Light are one of the best things I've heard in post rock this year.
    Sounds really nice. Probably a little too ambient for me to listen to it often but I think it would be an amazing experience in Rockband. Just imagine, a 13 minute song where you kinda drift away while playing it, it must feel great.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited July 2009
    Would Early Day Miners count for this thread as well?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Gowienczyk;2736015 said:
    Would Early Day Miners count for this thread as well?
    i've only heard the first album, which seemed more like indie/slowcore to me, but i've heard they've gone into a more post-rock direction since then.

i'm surprised tristeza doesn't ever get mentioned in these threads... i thought those guys were pretty huge?
    edited July 2009
    would The Appleseed Cast be Post-Rock?
    edited July 2009
    neckermanncj;2738661 said:
    would The Appleseed Cast be Post-Rock?
    i haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but i see them as sort of an indie/post-rock crossover band at times.
    edited July 2009
    afterstasis;2738725 said:
    i haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but i see them as sort of an indie/post-rock crossover band at times.
    fair enough, i wont add them to the OP, although they do sound a lot like Moving Mountains on certain albums/songs
    edited July 2009
    neckermanncj;2738766 said:
    fair enough, i wont add them to the OP, although they do sound a lot like Moving Mountains on certain albums/songs
    i don't see any problem with adding post-rock crossover bands like them and the previously mentioned early day miners, but it's your thread. :)
    edited July 2009
    afterstasis;2738927 said:
    i don't see any problem with adding post-rock crossover bands like them and the previously mentioned early day miners, but it's your thread. :)
    :) your right
    edited July 2009
    i noticed you put my list of lesser known bands on the OP... :)

i'm stuck at my parents' house and have been jamming lala.com, and noticed quite a lot of those are available for listening on there... you can listen to entire albums on there for free the first time.
    so if you're looking to quickly discover some new post-rock head over there, get a free account, and get to listening. :)
    edited July 2009
    afterstasis;2739010 said:
    i noticed you put my list of lesser known bands on the OP... :)

i'm stuck at my parents' house and have been jamming lala.com, and noticed quite a lot of those are available for listening on there... you can listen to entire albums on there for free the first time.
    so if you're looking to quickly discover some new post-rock head over there, get a free account, and get to listening. :)
    i know, i used that or freenapster.com this year in school to listen to music during one of my computer animation classes :p

i think the next bands that i am going to get into are: Mono, Slint, Talk Talk, This Will Destroy You and maybe some assorted others, i haven't done serious listening to those yet even though they are in the OP.
    edited July 2009
    neckermanncj;2739020 said:
    i know, i used that or freenapster.com this year in school to listen to music during one of my computer animation classes :p

i think the next bands that i am going to get into are: Mono, Slint, Talk Talk, This Will Destroy You and maybe some assorted others, i haven't done serious listening to those yet even though they are in the OP.
    I've seen Mono live about a month ago or so. I like just a few songs. But every song have the same theme. Start off quiet and end loud. End with loud I mean loud, thank god I had earplugs. ^^

Well, I actually know only one Mono song right now that I really like and that's Pure As Snow.

Btw, it's your ten mofo not Your Ten Mofo. xD

Oh, and I'm not really sure if you can call múm Post Rock. They are great and all, but I think they are more like an electronic experimental band. But what do I know.
    edited July 2009
    i have to agree that mono is pretty much a one-trick pony, which isn't rare at all with post-rock but they just don't do much for me...
    the new album's a little bit more unique, but not all that much more satisfying for me than the previous ones.
    edited July 2009
    Why are people in the other thread calling Battles post-rock? :confused:
    edited July 2009
    Gowienczyk;2740897 said:
    Why are people in the other thread calling Battles post-rock? :confused:
    Because Battles is Post-Rock. Not only Post-Rock, but they use Post-Rock elements.
    edited July 2009
    Coldplayer;2740921 said:
    Because Battles is Post-Rock. Not only Post-Rock, but they use Post-Rock elements.
    I think you are confused. Battles is clearly a math rock band.
    edited July 2009
    Gowienczyk;2740927 said:
    I think you are confused. Battles is clearly a math rock band.
    As well as Post-Rock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_(band)
    edited July 2009
    Wikipedia, heh. So where is the actual support for the post-rock mislabel then?
    edited July 2009
    im not going to add Battles because i really don't consider them Post Rock either
    edited July 2009
    Arghh, okay, if you don't want to see them as Post Rock, don't do it.

I think they have Post-Rock elements. And they are great. I mean, it's actually also difficult to call Sigur R
    edited July 2009
    [QUOTE]I think they have Post-Rock elements. And they are great. I mean, it's actually also difficult to call Sigur R
    edited July 2009
    Gowienczyk;2741495 said:
    genre elements & influences =/= band being that genre
    Yeah, but influences nonetheless. So why not talk about Battles here? Or Sigur R
    edited July 2009
    [QUOTE=Coldplayer;2741508]Yeah, but influences nonetheless. So why not talk about Battles here? Or Sigur R
    edited July 2009
    updated the OP a little bit
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2009
    Whoa, I just realized that one of the bands I found when I was looking around the internet a few days ago (Surface of Eceon) is in the list that afterstasis posted. I liked them a good deal, so that's pretty cool. :)
  • SatoshiSatoshi Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    These are some of the bands I listen to that I think are Post-Rock...correct me if I'm wrong though:)

Mono*
    LITE*
    toe*
    T
    edited July 2009
    Alright_Computer;2785624 said:
    Whoa, I just realized that one of the bands I found when I was looking around the internet a few days ago (Surface of Eceon) is in the list that afterstasis posted. I liked them a good deal, so that's pretty cool. :)
    check out the bands those dudes came from (yume bitsu and landing). i think you'd dig both.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2009
    afterstasis;2785647 said:
    check out the bands those dudes came from (yume bitsu and landing). i think you'd dig both.
    I'm actually familiar with both bands. They're what ended up getting me into Surface. Still, I thought it was cool that one of my random finds ended up being on your list.
    edited July 2009
    [QUOTE=Satoshi;2785641]These are some of the bands I listen to that I think are Post-Rock...correct me if I'm wrong though:)

Mono*
    LITE*
    toe*
    T
  • SatoshiSatoshi Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    afterstasis;2785666 said:
    i dig crime in choir, toe, and phoenix and the turtle.

aside from a few exceptions (anoice springs to mind) it seems most asian post-rock doesn't do it for me.
    Have you listened to LITE,3nd,Te',Hyakkei or mudy on the sakuban? they are really good:)

Also, I love toe's drummer, one of the best I've seen/heard.