Official Discussion - Rock Band Network

Comments

• striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Well played. That's all I can really say. :)
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    What a fantastic idea. Eventually you could even see a few individuals getting so good at charting that they can do consulting for a bunch of bands. I'd imagine you will be looking for song QA testers around here... I'd love to participate, but of course I'm on PS3 so I guess I'm screwed.

I might even end up helping my brother's band chart a few songs, which I'll never get to play. because, yeah, PS3.

Seriously guys, get on it. The excitement around this announcement just emphases the frustration of not being able to take advantage of it.
  • EdgeheadEdgehead Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    So, in the grand scheme of things, the idea is that the labels will hire their own team of developers to work on their own songs which will be submitted to HMX completed and thus much easier to get into the Marketplace.
  • Watchmen89Watchmen89 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This is amazing..... Don't know what else to really say. The potential of Rock Band Network is insane. The idea that bands that have been stingy with their material can now release their own tracks the way they want.

If this works the way the I hope (and know it will since Harmonix is behind it), THANK YOU FOR THE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES!
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Yay for more Bang Camaro, Anarchy Club, and the rest of the Harmonix bands hopefully making their way into the game
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Sounds great!!! but....

Casto21;2729989 said:I need a bigger hard drive ....
    S1ckH4nds;2729980 said:
    This will bankrupt me.

yeah.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    I am very excited for you all at HMX and I can't wait to see how this is used.

I read (on Billboard?) that anyone who controls the masters can do this. I wonder if this is how we can get those "hold out" bands (Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, etc.) who don't want to relinquish control of their masters into the game.

Also, could a professional band chart their own songs? Because the idea of playing Black Holes and Revelations as charted by MUSE or Surfer Rosa as charted by Pixies or even In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth:3 as charted by Coheed and Cambria is thrilling.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    This OP is a direct violation of my personal work! I demand recompense!
  • edited July 2009
    elfreako;2730156 said:
    What a fantastic idea. Eventually you could even see a few individuals getting so good at charting that they can do consulting for a bunch of bands. I'd imagine you will be looking for song QA testers around here... I'd love to participate, but of course I'm on PS3 so I guess I'm screwed.

I might even end up helping my brother's band chart a few songs, which I'll never get to play. because, yeah, PS3.

Seriously guys, get on it. The excitement around this announcement just emphases the frustration of not being able to take advantage of it.
    I'm a PS3 user too and share your frustration, but I think it's more a matter of Sony having to get on it than HMX. Microsoft gave them the framework they needed for this, Sony needs to do the same.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    Hey, this created a few new jobs too eh?

Labels will hire professional charters?

Also I'd be more than willing to help out with any sort of testing. I have nothing to do during the day :)
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730081 said:
    Again, we are working on it.
    Want to hire a PS3 chart monkey? :)
  • thenewno1thenewno1 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    This is an incredible move forward for Harmonix - hell, for the entire music game genre.

If anyone doubted this company's commitment before, this announcement will surely blow all those doubts straight out the window. Harmonix has always been devoted to the music above all, and it's projects like this that truly show their dedication to expanding this platform above and beyond.

Not to mention, this opens so many doors for bands who've wanted to be in the game for ages, but weren't sure how to get the process started. Unknown indie bands could explode in popularity through this program, and undiscovered talent is going to constantly be unearthed. Even bands and artists already established could release the songs they choose without any legal hassle. It's like a giant barrier that's been holding back the flood of great music out there has finally been brought down.

I'm so excited for this system to be up and running! As an aspiring musician, I've always wanted to create music but never had the drive to succeed. With this system, I might actually get the band together and work to create new material. RB just became more than a music game - I can't help but feel that we're only moving forward from here.
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Does the artist get some of their song's profits?
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Zephiel;2730184 said:
    Does the artist get some of their song's profits?
    30%. It said in the article.
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I love that we really trumped guitar hero
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2730176 said:

Also I'd be more than willing to help out with any sort of testing. I have nothing to do during the day :)
    I'm with you on that.

If you guys at HMX need more playtesters all you have to do is call me up and I will move to Boston and go to work for you!
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    So...
    People whine about how RB players need to put down the plastic and learn to play a real instrument. Now those players will be inspired to learn a real instrument so they can record a song and put it in RB so they can play it on their plastic instruments! Everybody wins!
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    This is amazing because Relient K has a MUCH better chance of getting into Rock Band!!!!!! Thank you so much!

There is only one thing that disappoints me. Us PS3 users are only getting "select songs". I'd really like to know why that it.
  • edited July 2009
    jr174200;2730114 said:
    Will there be a length limit on the uploaded songs?

(asks the guy who is praying that Phish releases full shows on the RBN)

We are committed to giving artists the same tools that Harmonix uses when authoring music. I want to make it clear that RBN Store songs (if authored to the fullest) will be of the same caliber of songs in the RB Music Store. More details to come later :)
  • metalfenixmetalfenix Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Der_Lex;2730174 said:
    I'm a PS3 user too and share your frustration, but I think it's more a matter of Sony having to get on it than HMX. Microsoft gave them the framework they needed for this, Sony needs to do the same.
    Yeah, this project relies heavily on the XNA platform...sony should do something like this. I have no means to change to 360 right now (I have the system, but...I have all my instruments + 64 DLC songs + RB1 songs + PSN Contacts to play in PS3). Buying two copies of RB2 don't do me any good either... :(

Ah well, congrats 360 RB'ers
  • DoughoefDoughoef Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Now that it's sunk in, this is really game changing! Hold on to your wallets. :eek:
  • Jaicen06Jaicen06 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I love the idea! I just hope that it will come to the PS3 soon. I do however understand why it is on the 360 first, given Microsoft's help here, which I do appreciate. I can not bash anyone here for this decision. It is the right one for the right reasons. As a Server Administrator on Windows Servers, I make a living on what Microsoft produces as well, so I hope all the best on this project for all parties involved. And I hope all the consoles will benefit eventually, ie next summer?, from this.

Thank you Harmonix, MTV and Microsoft for this great upcoming system!
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    C-Weiner;2730196 said:
    I love that we really trumped guitar hero
    The funny part is that no one on the GH forums seems really worried about it. A thread was started about RBN but there's only been 1 reply on it, both the OP and poster agree it's an amazing system.
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Is the $100/yr. fee for browsing/downloading tracks? Or is that fee just for people that want to get their particular music into the game?
  • hammy7971hammy7971 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2730135 said:
    Billboard states in their article that indie label, Sub Pop is already on board.
    Which means we could be seeing Band of Horses, The Shins, The Postal Service, Iron and Wine, Handsome Furs, L7, The Elected, Ugly Casanova, Nirvana, Fleet Foxes, Flight of the Conchords, Wolf Parade, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Rogue Wave, Soundgarden, etc. DLC coming out. That seems pretty exciting to me.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    TheLovelyNoise;2730215 said:
    Is the $100/yr. fee for browsing/downloading tracks? Or is that fee just for people that want to get their particular music into the game?
    the fee is for authors
  • edited July 2009
    ajistheman;2730125 said:
    hmxsean, harmonix will still be releasing the same amount of songs themselves right? Every song you guys make can be made just as good (theoretically, probably not always) by the labels/musicians/whoever has the masters as the tracks you guys make? Correct?

The Rock Band Music Store will not see a drop in weekly output due to the Rock Band Network. They are separate entities.

2nd question - Answer: Yes.
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    That's the fee for using tools to make songs, not for playing them.
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2730223 said:
    the fee is for authors
    thanks
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    It's for those who want to put their music into the game. Therefore, any up-and-coming band or even someone major (like LZ) only has to pay that fee. If they do well, the profits will have them consider about renewing.

EDIT: Dammit, Ninja'd