Official Discussion - Rock Band Network

Comments

• KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    So...
    People whine about how RB players need to put down the plastic and learn to play a real instrument. Now those players will be inspired to learn a real instrument so they can record a song and put it in RB so they can play it on their plastic instruments! Everybody wins!
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    This is amazing because Relient K has a MUCH better chance of getting into Rock Band!!!!!! Thank you so much!

There is only one thing that disappoints me. Us PS3 users are only getting "select songs". I'd really like to know why that it.
  • edited July 2009
    jr174200;2730114 said:
    Will there be a length limit on the uploaded songs?

(asks the guy who is praying that Phish releases full shows on the RBN)

We are committed to giving artists the same tools that Harmonix uses when authoring music. I want to make it clear that RBN Store songs (if authored to the fullest) will be of the same caliber of songs in the RB Music Store. More details to come later :)
  • metalfenixmetalfenix Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Der_Lex;2730174 said:
    I'm a PS3 user too and share your frustration, but I think it's more a matter of Sony having to get on it than HMX. Microsoft gave them the framework they needed for this, Sony needs to do the same.
    Yeah, this project relies heavily on the XNA platform...sony should do something like this. I have no means to change to 360 right now (I have the system, but...I have all my instruments + 64 DLC songs + RB1 songs + PSN Contacts to play in PS3). Buying two copies of RB2 don't do me any good either... :(

Ah well, congrats 360 RB'ers
  • DoughoefDoughoef Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Now that it's sunk in, this is really game changing! Hold on to your wallets. :eek:
  • Jaicen06Jaicen06 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I love the idea! I just hope that it will come to the PS3 soon. I do however understand why it is on the 360 first, given Microsoft's help here, which I do appreciate. I can not bash anyone here for this decision. It is the right one for the right reasons. As a Server Administrator on Windows Servers, I make a living on what Microsoft produces as well, so I hope all the best on this project for all parties involved. And I hope all the consoles will benefit eventually, ie next summer?, from this.

Thank you Harmonix, MTV and Microsoft for this great upcoming system!
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    C-Weiner;2730196 said:
    I love that we really trumped guitar hero
    The funny part is that no one on the GH forums seems really worried about it. A thread was started about RBN but there's only been 1 reply on it, both the OP and poster agree it's an amazing system.
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Is the $100/yr. fee for browsing/downloading tracks? Or is that fee just for people that want to get their particular music into the game?
  • hammy7971hammy7971 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2730135 said:
    Billboard states in their article that indie label, Sub Pop is already on board.
    Which means we could be seeing Band of Horses, The Shins, The Postal Service, Iron and Wine, Handsome Furs, L7, The Elected, Ugly Casanova, Nirvana, Fleet Foxes, Flight of the Conchords, Wolf Parade, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Rogue Wave, Soundgarden, etc. DLC coming out. That seems pretty exciting to me.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    TheLovelyNoise;2730215 said:
    Is the $100/yr. fee for browsing/downloading tracks? Or is that fee just for people that want to get their particular music into the game?
    the fee is for authors
  • edited July 2009
    ajistheman;2730125 said:
    hmxsean, harmonix will still be releasing the same amount of songs themselves right? Every song you guys make can be made just as good (theoretically, probably not always) by the labels/musicians/whoever has the masters as the tracks you guys make? Correct?

The Rock Band Music Store will not see a drop in weekly output due to the Rock Band Network. They are separate entities.

2nd question - Answer: Yes.
    edited July 2009
    That's the fee for using tools to make songs, not for playing them.
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2730223 said:
    the fee is for authors
    thanks
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    It's for those who want to put their music into the game. Therefore, any up-and-coming band or even someone major (like LZ) only has to pay that fee. If they do well, the profits will have them consider about renewing.

EDIT: Dammit, Ninja'd
  • rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    metalfenix;2730205 said:
    Yeah, this project relies heavily on the XNA platform...sony should do something like this. I have no means to change to 360 right now (I have the system, but...I have all my instruments + 64 DLC songs + RB1 songs + PSN Contacts to play in PS3). Buying two copies of RB2 don't do me any good either... :(

Ah well, congrats 360 RB'ers
    Hey don't feel bad, Harmonix is working to bring these songs to the PS3 and Wii, maybe it can just come down to copy and pasting these songs.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    I'll express my concerns here as well
    HeyRiles;2730146 said:
    My only concern is the potential drop in aesthetic changes as well as chart quality

The lighting and transitions during a song as well as character animation is stellar in songs released normally. But will songs released through the RBN be able to hold a candle up to the regular lighting and graphics? I'm just worried about a considerable drop in quality between the two stores
    HeyRiles;2730213 said:
    But my concern is this

I like, say, Senses Fail quite a bit. Their record company gets their hands on these tools and develops a number of their songs. A part of the game that makes it so appealing is its aesthetics. For example, I love Assassain but it just wasn't any fun in Guitar Hero. Without this aesthetic goodness, I'm pretty worried I would buy it but not enjoy it, and end up wasting money on poor quality

THEN, since they are already in the RBN, there isn't any need for Harmonix to take the songs and develop them themselves for inclusion into the main music store. Basically the band that I really enjoy has been locked out of getting great stuff into Rock Band and being developed by official Rock Band developers
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This sounds... amazing :eek:... unfortunately I'm a PS3 user. :( Still, it will be interesting to see how this works out.
    edited July 2009
    C-Weiner;2730196 said:
    I love that we really trumped guitar hero
    I really don't think the bulk of the GH community cares.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    I just hope that too many bands/labels don't go over the normal $2 cost

I assume I'd be looking at labels to do that, I can see bands going for lower prices and more downloads
    edited July 2009
    So there is no reason to believe the tracks wouldn't be up in the Ps3 or Wii stores even if we can't use the editing program then ya?
  • Planswalker89Planswalker89 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Sounds awesome, HMX. I was surprised in the first article when you said you were hoping to move it to us Wii users too... though I'm expecting that to not happen for a long while (if ever... I know the Wii's pretty different from the other two consoles when it comes to DLC issues). Either way this sounds like an awesome idea and I'll be eagerly waiting for updates on this!
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    way to go HMX you guys f'n rock. I'm already working out ways to get my music on there(considering I'm a techno artist I may have to go industrial).
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    rad5brandon;2730235 said:
    Hey don't feel bad, Harmonix is working to bring these songs to the PS3 and Wii, maybe it can just come down to copy and pasting these songs.
    There's a reason the Wii has to play the back catalog catch-up game right now, and that's because it's not as simple as copy/paste. I just hope everything will eventually get ported over, not just the "popular" stuff. I'd hate to be (or have anyone else) denied a favorite band simply because people on the 360 didn't buy it all to hell.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Hmm. People who aren't HMX will be able to chart their own songs? Interesting.

I read somewhere a really long time ago that the goal for Rock Band's music store was to have a wide selection of pretty much every artist ever, much like iTunes. Maybe now that goal will be achieved
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I'd personally pay the yearly subscription fee just to review everything before it makes it to the store myself.
    Though I'm hoping a cheaper version for people who just want to review everything before it gets store wise will be out at some point...
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2730135 said:
    Billboard states in their article that indie label, Sub Pop is already on board.
    I can has Songs off screaming life and fopp by soundgarden? Also how is censoring going to work because each song has to go through the ersb right? Also pricing of the songs?
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2730243 said:
    I just hope that too many bands/labels don't go over the normal $2 cost

I assume I'd be looking at labels to do that, I can see bands going for lower prices and more downloads
    Same here. I'm also looking forward to the whole discography thing they are supporting.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    jr174200;2730114 said:
    Will there be a length limit on the uploaded songs?

(asks the guy who is praying that Phish releases full shows on the RBN)
    That would be damn cool.

Heck, the idea of getting Rush songs like "Xanadu", "By-Tor and the Snow Dog", "2112", "Bastille Day" etc. isn't so ridiculous now.

And maybe Pete Townshend can use the reconstructed masters and we can get the rest of Who's Next?
  • ffwarrior47ffwarrior47 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I am so excited about this!!!!

Thank you guys, i've never been so excited about anything music/video game related since Rock Band 1 first released!!!! :D :D :D
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Der_Lex;2730174 said:
    I'm a PS3 user too and share your frustration, but I think it's more a matter of Sony having to get on it than HMX. Microsoft gave them the framework they needed for this, Sony needs to do the same.
    It's too easy to just brush it off though. I'm not blaming anyone for how things turned out, obviously HMX have a great collaboration from Microsoft, which allows them to do great things, but I just hope they will think of their users and actively pursue an arrangement with Sony.

I actually bought a PS3 just to get Rock Band, thinking it was going to remain HMX's platform of choice considering their past history with GH. I still don't have any other title for it. I love these games that much, but I can't help feeling betrayed by both Sony and HMX if this remains a 360 exclusive.

I guess I just hope someone over there will keep fighting for us and not simply give up and blame Sony or whatever.