Official Discussion - Rock Band Network

Comments

  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    C-Weiner;2730196 said:
    I love that we really trumped guitar hero
    I really don't think the bulk of the GH community cares.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    I just hope that too many bands/labels don't go over the normal $2 cost

    I assume I'd be looking at labels to do that, I can see bands going for lower prices and more downloads
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    So there is no reason to believe the tracks wouldn't be up in the Ps3 or Wii stores even if we can't use the editing program then ya?
  • Planswalker89Planswalker89 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Sounds awesome, HMX. I was surprised in the first article when you said you were hoping to move it to us Wii users too... though I'm expecting that to not happen for a long while (if ever... I know the Wii's pretty different from the other two consoles when it comes to DLC issues). Either way this sounds like an awesome idea and I'll be eagerly waiting for updates on this!
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    way to go HMX you guys f'n rock. I'm already working out ways to get my music on there(considering I'm a techno artist I may have to go industrial).
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    rad5brandon;2730235 said:
    Hey don't feel bad, Harmonix is working to bring these songs to the PS3 and Wii, maybe it can just come down to copy and pasting these songs.
    There's a reason the Wii has to play the back catalog catch-up game right now, and that's because it's not as simple as copy/paste. I just hope everything will eventually get ported over, not just the "popular" stuff. I'd hate to be (or have anyone else) denied a favorite band simply because people on the 360 didn't buy it all to hell.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Hmm. People who aren't HMX will be able to chart their own songs? Interesting.


    I read somewhere a really long time ago that the goal for Rock Band's music store was to have a wide selection of pretty much every artist ever, much like iTunes. Maybe now that goal will be achieved
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I'd personally pay the yearly subscription fee just to review everything before it makes it to the store myself.
    Though I'm hoping a cheaper version for people who just want to review everything before it gets store wise will be out at some point...
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2730135 said:
    Billboard states in their article that indie label, Sub Pop is already on board.
    I can has Songs off screaming life and fopp by soundgarden? Also how is censoring going to work because each song has to go through the ersb right? Also pricing of the songs?
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2730243 said:
    I just hope that too many bands/labels don't go over the normal $2 cost

    I assume I'd be looking at labels to do that, I can see bands going for lower prices and more downloads
    Same here. I'm also looking forward to the whole discography thing they are supporting.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    jr174200;2730114 said:
    Will there be a length limit on the uploaded songs?

    (asks the guy who is praying that Phish releases full shows on the RBN)
    That would be damn cool.

    Heck, the idea of getting Rush songs like "Xanadu", "By-Tor and the Snow Dog", "2112", "Bastille Day" etc. isn't so ridiculous now.

    And maybe Pete Townshend can use the reconstructed masters and we can get the rest of Who's Next?
  • ffwarrior47ffwarrior47 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I am so excited about this!!!!

    Thank you guys, i've never been so excited about anything music/video game related since Rock Band 1 first released!!!! :D :D :D
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Der_Lex;2730174 said:
    I'm a PS3 user too and share your frustration, but I think it's more a matter of Sony having to get on it than HMX. Microsoft gave them the framework they needed for this, Sony needs to do the same.
    It's too easy to just brush it off though. I'm not blaming anyone for how things turned out, obviously HMX have a great collaboration from Microsoft, which allows them to do great things, but I just hope they will think of their users and actively pursue an arrangement with Sony.

    I actually bought a PS3 just to get Rock Band, thinking it was going to remain HMX's platform of choice considering their past history with GH. I still don't have any other title for it. I love these games that much, but I can't help feeling betrayed by both Sony and HMX if this remains a 360 exclusive.

    I guess I just hope someone over there will keep fighting for us and not simply give up and blame Sony or whatever.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    General Lein979;2730259 said:
    I can has Songs off screaming life and fopp by soundgarden? Also how is censoring going to work because each song has to go through the ersb right? Also pricing of the songs?
    Part of the review process deals with censorship issues, and people can price their own songs (from 50 cents to 3 bucks, is the current estimate).
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Der_Lex;2730174 said:
    I'm a PS3 user too and share your frustration, but I think it's more a matter of Sony having to get on it than HMX. Microsoft gave them the framework they needed for this, Sony needs to do the same.
    Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. So if Artist X uses the Harmonix supplied XNA tool to chart a song, then they need to also use SNA (I made the name up, shoot me) to chart a different version of the song for it to be available on PS3? How does this remotely make sense?

    I think it's pretty clear that something else is going to have to happen for this content to appear on PS3 and Wii.
  • InappropeInapprope Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I can see alot of quality charts being made, because charters from other music game communities (ScoreHero, Frets on Fire etc.) will jump on this.

    Very excited for this. Going to inform quite a few bands about it when the beta is released. :)
  • edited July 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2730258 said:
    I'd personally pay the yearly subscription fee just to review everything before it makes it to the store myself.
    Though I'm hoping a cheaper version for people who just want to review everything before it gets store wise will be out at some point...
    It won't be cheaper (because it is still an XNA membership), but we do hope people will do this so we can get the songs through more efficiently. And of course the upside is you get to play all the RBN songs before anyone else.
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I'd like to work with Harmonix
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730278 said:
    It won't be cheaper (because it is still an XNA membership), but we do hope people will do this so we can get the songs through more efficiently. And of course the upside is you get to play all the RBN songs before anyone else.
    Good point, and that is a good upside...
    And 100 a year actually isn't that expensive. Especially compared to how much I've ALREADY spent on these games. :p

    Guess I'll do something like that then.

    But also, I have a question: Can you keep a song package on your console, even if it was turned down for the official RBN?
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    What about Album covers? Do the owners get to make them? The trailer showed HMX album covers but that could be beta...or something.
  • ffwarrior47ffwarrior47 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I really love everybody Harmonix right now.....
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Wow, I can't wait for details on certification. I have quite a few bands I work with who are recording first and second CDs right now who would be absolutely thrilled to get this out there.

    I can't work to discuss things with a couple audio engineers at work in just a few minutes.
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730278 said:
    It won't be cheaper (because it is still an XNA membership), but we do hope people will do this so we can get the songs through more efficiently. And of course the upside is you get to play all the RBN songs before anyone else.
    ... I hadn't thought of that one.

    Thank you Sean, I know what I'm gonna be doing as soon as I can afford it and joining in the fun....
  • ExcessNeoExcessNeo Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Personally I think it wouldn't be too much work for Harmonix (with help from Sony) to at least get the songs up onto the PSN for purchase considering the PS3 and Xbox 360 have the same song files unlike the Wii which has to be converted iirc.

    Development software that can be linked to the PS3 for testing can wait a bit longer.

    But I guess that all depends on how often the songs will be updated onto XBL as if it's done daily then of course that's a lot of new stuff to go up to the PSN store each week on Thursday.
  • edited July 2009
    elfreako;2730269 said:

    I guess I just hope someone over there will keep fighting for us and not simply give up and blame Sony or whatever.

    They didn't give up on getting that platform its instrument compatibility and various other thorny issues. Why would they stop now?
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    thenewno1;2730182 said:
    This is an incredible move forward for Harmonix - hell, for the entire music game genre.

    If anyone doubted this company's commitment before, this announcement will surely blow all those doubts straight out the window. Harmonix has always been devoted to the music above all, and it's projects like this that truly show their dedication to expanding this platform above and beyond.
    Amen.
    This is a really amazing idea. Major Props to HMX.
    ...As long as they don't cut back on the quality and quantity of their own releases.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009
    5000 songs by years end finally makes sense.

    You sneaky HMX people.
  • metalfenixmetalfenix Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    rad5brandon;2730235 said:
    Hey don't feel bad, Harmonix is working to bring these songs to the PS3 and Wii, maybe it can just come down to copy and pasting these songs.
    skyttskytt;2730255 said:
    There's a reason the Wii has to play the back catalog catch-up game right now, and that's because it's not as simple as copy/paste. I just hope everything will eventually get ported over, not just the "popular" stuff. I'd hate to be (or have anyone else) denied a favorite band simply because people on the 360 didn't buy it all to hell.
    I agree with this, there must be something else. Well, in any case we got every DLC at the same time as 360, so PS3 might have a good chance with the porting, but wii might be a different case though, I'm not sure.
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2730289 said:
    Good point, and that is a good upside...
    And 100 a year actually isn't that expensive. Especially compared to how much I've ALREADY spent on these games. :p
    Yeah, it isn't much compared to how much I spend on RB.

    Is this patch going to be eventually released so that PS3 users can also review songs?

    *facepalm*
    I just forgot, its not your choice. I think that Sony should really participate in this.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    ExcessNeo;2730326 said:

    But I guess that all depends on how often the songs will be updated onto XBL as if it's done daily then of course that's a lot of new stuff to go up to the PSN store each week on Thursday.
    That's just too bad for Sony, then. They can deal with our flood of music taking up the New Releases section of the PSN store.
Sign In or Register to comment.