Official Discussion - Rock Band Network

Comments

• AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    The company hopes to open the Rock Band Network store before year's end. Songs available through the new store, which will remain separate from the existing "Rock Band" store, will be initially available for download to users of Microsoft's Xbox 360 game console. MTV expects to eventually make the popular tracks available for use on the Sony PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii game systems.
    So, after re-reading the PR, note that there is no mention of Rock Band Network being made available for PS3 or Wii. If nothing can be worked out with Sony/Nintendo I expect that popular tracks will be brought over to the normal Rock Band store and be made available as "normal" DLC. Here's hoping a better deal can be worked out and RBN will be made available on all consoles at some point.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730278 said:
    It won't be cheaper (because it is still an XNA membership), but we do hope people will do this so we can get the songs through more efficiently. And of course the upside is you get to play all the RBN songs before anyone else.

Does paying the $100 mean you WILL get into the beta?

I don't want to drop $100 then not get in, as I am in no way shape or form a game designer so it would be wasted money on my part if I don't get in.
  • Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    HeyRiles;2730236 said:
    I'll express my concerns here as well

...THEN, since they are already in the RBN, there isn't any need for Harmonix to take the songs and develop them themselves for inclusion into the main music store. Basically the band that I really enjoy has been locked out of getting great stuff into Rock Band and being developed by official Rock Band developers
    This is my main worry as well-- that a band could potentially make it in the real store, but can't because they've already been released on the RBN. I'm hoping HMX will have some sort of method for ensuring that release on the RBN doesn't prevent great music from seeing release in the more exclusive music store.
  • edited July 2009
    noble;2730371 said:
    Does paying the $100 mean you WILL get into the beta?

I don't want to drop $100 then not get in, as I am in no way shape or form a game designer so it would be wasted money on my part if I don't get in.
    Not into closed beta, but certainly public beta when that goes live.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Do this mean we won't see ANY "indie" bands from HMX themselves? Given a choice, I'd rather see HMX master the charts themselves. Like some others my only concern is HMX essentially telling lesser known or on-major label bands to "make them yourselves or not got in."
  • aspiringaspiring Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Being a PS3 user i am not too thrilled at this being 360 exclusive, but at the same time not too bothered. I mean, obviously they are going to be Indie artists, and MS do have XNA set up so thats fine. But i do have a question. Say band "a" make a song passes certification, will it then be available say the following Thursday for PSN, or will say this just give 360 owners extra songs every week while PS3 misses out?

And if it means we miss out, does it than mean that until Sony have a system like this in place we will never see the songs? If so than that sucks.
  • EdgeheadEdgehead Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    So signing up for the XNA solely to review songs before they are released would work sort of as a subscription fee to play all the songs, no?
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    Is that the voice of the sexy Sean Baptiste narrating that video?
  • thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    This is awesome. I've already taken the time to make a music video of my band using Rock Band but to have it happen for real would be spectacular. I'm ready to start NOW.
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    There is now basically no excuse not to have a Jukebox Mode.
  • CantStopTheHoppCantStopTheHopp Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Sgt Pepper;2730384 said:
    This is my main worry as well-- that a band could potentially make it in the real store, but can't because they've already been released on the RBN. I'm hoping HMX will have some sort of method for ensuring that release on the RBN doesn't let great music from getting lost in the shuffle.
    That concerns me a little too, but I still think this is going to be AWESOME!

I did cringe a little when I saw songs could cost as much as $3 through this, but if that's what it takes to get some of my favorite artists in the game, it's worth it.
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    The reviewing part of the thing looks awesome. I really hope PS3 gets at least some songs.

...I wonder how much money I would have if I sold all my PS3 stuff...
  • ExcessNeoExcessNeo Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Edgehead;2730395 said:
    So signing up for the XNA solely to review songs before they are released would work sort of as a subscription fee to play all the songs, no?
    I'm guessing that after they are passed through they drop from the Review system for playing.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    geo2n2;2730393 said:
    Like some others my only concern is HMX essentially telling lesser known or on-major label bands to "make them yourselves or not got in."
    But isn't that better than how it is currently, which would be..."not get in"?

If it comes down to "make the charts yourself or don't get into the game", I'd much prefer that over "you never have any chance of getting into the game".
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730389 said:
    Arrrghhh....I can't believe I'm going to be in college and Rock Band-less when this is all going on...I would gladly pay $100 to do this!!

Is there any other conceivable way in which I could help out that wouldn't require having Rock Band available? Anything at all?
  • RM-225RM-225 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I'm up for hearing more details on this, but for now, this is really exciting news.

Now you can understand why The Beatles chose to work with Harmonix, as well as working with Cirque du Soleil a couple years before, because they are both as artistically ambitious as they were.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730278 said:
    It won't be cheaper (because it is still an XNA membership), but we do hope people will do this so we can get the songs through more efficiently. And of course the upside is you get to play all the RBN songs before anyone else.
    Wait...so anyone can pay for this membership and be able to play & review the content? I wouldn't mind reviewing vocal charts. :) Where can I sign up?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730389 said:

Ok thanks!

Any rough idea when the public beta will start?

I guess another question is, if we want to get into the closed beta do we already need to be a member?

Or if we get picked we can sign up after?

Just want all my ducks in a row(I have no idea what that means).
  • edited July 2009
    RockBandRocker;2730398 said:
    You know it. I'm smooth, like a Christopher Cross song.
  • edited July 2009
    geo2n2;2730393 said:
    Do this mean we won't see ANY "indie" bands from HMX themselves? Given a choice, I'd rather see HMX master the charts themselves. Like some others my only concern is HMX essentially telling lesser known or on-major label bands to "make them yourselves or not got in."
    I think if there's an indie and that we're excited about, there's still a huge possibility that we will chart them.
  • edited July 2009
    Edgehead;2730395 said:
    Sort of Yes. You would be able to play all of the songs prior to release.
  • edited July 2009
    RockBandRocker;2730398 said:
    SURE IS!! Hot hot hot.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730439 said:
    You know it. I'm smooth, like a Christopher Cross song.
    Awesome!

I can now identify at least 3 HMX people by voice.

HMXHellion, you (Sean) and John Drake!!

BTW: Sean, you should totally do a cover of Barry White's "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe" and put it on RBN. I would totally buy it! :D
    edited July 2009
    ExcessNeo;2730412 said:
    I'm guessing that after they are passed through they drop from the Review system for playing.
    Right but assuming there are even only 10 songs submitted a day, there's no way you could possibly buy all of that. This would give you a chance to play everything that comes to pass and you would know what you definitively wanted to keep which you could purchase later.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2730443 said:
    I think if there's an indie and that we're excited about, there's still a huge possibility that we will chart them.
    Get more of The Material, they don't even have a label last I heard. :)
  • ExcessNeoExcessNeo Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I might have to crumble and buy an Xbox 360 + GHWT drum kit for the MIDI box :(
  • aspiringaspiring Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Hold on, it says "select songs may appear on PS3". Umm what? Who will decide this?
    edited July 2009
    So, if I were to pay the $100 dollars say 2 months after this is launched, because I want to see how smoothly it runs before dropping that kind of money. Would there ever be a cap on the amount of people allowed to review material or is it theoretically anyone who wants to can regardless of how many are doing it?
  • Backwards MarathonBackwards Marathon Rising Star
    edited July 2009
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I'm really so glad the enormous amount of tweets woke me to read through all this.

Here is a curiosity - for the mentioned development.. umm lectures (okay I know there was a better word but I closed the article and I did just wake up) are we going to be needing to plan trips to the Boston area or will Harmonix be doing a bit of travelling to have them available in multiple places for certification?

I could really see a lot of Commercial Music Programs at various small colleges picking it up as a new feather in their hat too given the competitive nature, and wanting to give their budding studio technicians more tools. (EDIT: I say that as I was just talking to a professor in such a program about this - given I teach their students lighting techniques for music venues on the side).