Official Discussion - Rock Band Network

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited July 2009
    I am hyperventilating right now. Like, it is two minutes until work is over and I am having trouble breathing.
  • Nickalos NNickalos N Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Thank You Hmx you guys ROCK
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I do not like this Xbox exclusivity idea at all. "Select tracks may appear on PS3" had better mean "Xbox has a timed exclusive (like always) and eventually all features will be available for other consoles."

I understand it's using XNA, but if they don't port it to allow the PS3 and Wii to enjoy the full benefits of this ambitious idea, they are slicing their fan base straight down the middle. As much as they deny it, for the time being this reeks of Harmonix giving preferential treatment to the Xbox.

Yes, PS3 may have 700+ songs available, which is a lot, but if suddenly the Xbox has 2000+ songs, that's going to irk a lot of PS3 and Wii users, including me.

But I have faith in Harmonix. It might take a year or two, but they'll eventually have this thing working right. :)
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I wonder if people realize how groundbreaking and innovative this potentially is. This is huge people!
  • edited July 2009
    Edgehead;2729971 said:
    This is amazing!!!

I'm a little confused about the process though, does this mean that an artist submits their masters to a dev team that then charts the song for them or is the artist responsible for getting the charting done on their own accord and then submitting the song to the dev team
    The artist has the option to charts songs themselves.
    We give all Rock Band Network members the tools to do this.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited July 2009
    IF the big labels and bands use this, than USL becomes useless.
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I think it's trump Guitar Hero day today. Rise Against, Rancid, and Kings of Leon, plus a REAL Music studio
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    but this opens up new possibilites as well, doesn't it? Instead of just instrumental tracks without vocals, maybe there might be no guitar in some tracks, no bass in others, or even no drums! I can't wait for the release of this program... speaking of which, when are you expecting to release this Harmonix?
  • metalfenixmetalfenix Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Oh well, it's a good iniciative for 360. It's a shame that PS3 (wich is my gaming platform for RB2) won't be seeing anything of this (same with wii) because this relies heavily on the XNA platform.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited July 2009
    I feel like I'm going to puke, this is so exciting
  • dweber77dweber77 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Congratulations HMX!!! This is awesome news, too bad I am on the PSN and not XBL.
  • edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2729948 said:
    This disappoints me greatly.

Can we get some kind of explanation on this? Are we seriously getting shafted because of our choice of console?
    Do Sony and Nintendo have ready-made easy mode community driven premade developer environments. This program is build on Microsoft's XNA platform and I don't believe the other two have anything equivalent.
  • EdgeheadEdgehead Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I feel like the artist or label isn't going to want to go through the trouble of commissioning a chart for all of their songs.
  • ajisthemanajistheman Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    this does seem lame for the ps3 and wii owners...(as someone who owns both, and has rock band on the ps3 with enough money purchased into dlc, that i cant buy a 360, rb, all my dlcs for this)...i guess those are the breaks
    Microsoft has done quite a lot to get this going from what I'm reading
    have fun 360'ers
  • MaGna720MaGna720 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Me 60 years in the future-

"Y'know, back in my day, we had to wait for a whole WEEK before we could get three songs! And if you didn't like em', you were SOL; you had to wait a whole 'nother week. And all you could do is pray that the next week would be something better. You whippersnappers are so spoiled..."

Seriously though, this is awesome. I guess this is my cue to stop my DLC whoredom.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2730000 said:
    I'd love to test the beta... If I was in a band.
    So would I...and I am in a band! Can't seem to find a link to sign up for it though...
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Just becaues I was bored...new genres listed in the intro video:

Fusion
    Jazz
    Novelty
    Urban

Arena
    Folk Rock
    Garage
    Hard Rock
    Psychadelic
    Reggae
    Rockabilly
    Rock and Roll
    Ska
    Surf
  • edited July 2009
    MattyT;2730015 said:
    Yeah, I was really disappointed to see this. Explanation, please? :confused:
    I can't really give a full explanation other than to say we are working with the outside parties to make this available universally. And until then its our intention to at least get some of the premium content moved over.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730006 said:
    That's not really a question for me. At least not one I could answer.
    Anyone in the office that can? :)

I love the idea, and am glad that it's happening, but nothing has made me feel like the 360 gets special treatment until the wording in those announcements. It's not our faults that the 360 isn't our primary gaming console (I happen to own all 3, but all my friends are on the PS3), and it'd actually very much upset me to be denied a potential massive amount of music just because I own the very same game on a not-360.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Also: LOL at the GH stab.

"We're not just talking about mashing together pre-recorded samples."

and

"including vocals!"
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Dear Microsoft,

HMX and you guys have done something so awesome I'm almost completely speechless. I realise now that my habit of buying every track is going to come to a sudden and screaching halt because I'm not gonna be able to afford everything any more. Please tell me I can have a bigger hard-drive for my xbox, because I think I'm gonna need that very very quickly.

Regards,
    Pook.

In all honesty, this is a mindblowingly epic announcement and I am so impressed by this fact. I also spotted something else - since this is coming out soon and it mentions that you need RockBand 2.2, the patch can't be all that far behind - I don't see HMX making two different patches....

Thank you, HMX!

Oh yeah - I take it you guys are still going to be releasing tunes to bankrupt me every week?
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2730039 said:
    Do Sony and Nintendo have ready-made easy mode community driven premade developer environments. This program is build on Microsoft's XNA platform and I don't believe the other two have anything equivalent.
    hmxsean;2730047 said:
    I can't really give a full explanation other than to say we are working with the outside parties to make this available universally. And until then its our intention to at least get some of the premium content moved over.
    So it's a "this could be a potential problem on Sony or Nintendo's side" kind of thing that would limit what's available?
  • guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I definitely like the idea that bands will be able to choose their own prices on their content: anywere from $.50 - $3.00.

And I'm also happy that we may see this thing by the end of the year.

15 months have gone into this, and coming from HMX, I expect this to be truly revolutionary.

Congrats HMX!
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    For the Xbox 360 * Select songs may also appear on PS3
    Sigh, the PS3 gets shafted again...stupid PS3. ...And none on the Wii?

This is still awesome news. I kind of want to see how it works before I buy the membership.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Just out of curiosity are we going to have to pay for these tracks also this tech alone will cause rock band to be more that just a fad.
  • edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2730053 said:
    Anyone in the office that can? :)

I love the idea, and am glad that it's happening, but nothing has made me feel like the 360 gets special treatment until the wording in those announcements. It's not our faults that the 360 isn't our primary gaming console (I happen to own all 3, but all my friends are on the PS3), and it'd actually very much upset me to be denied a potential massive amount of music just because I own the very same game on a not-360.
    Again, we are working on it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009
    Ok where the hell is this beta I'm hearing about?

Can someone from HMX give us a link or something?

I've scoured a few of the links and can find nothing on it.
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    One question: how are licensing issues going to work? Say Joe the Hacker somehow ends up with the masters (or at least split tracks) to a Pink Floyd song. What's going to stop him from getting that uploaded? How can you verify the uploader actually has rights to the song?
  • guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2730070 said:
    So it's a "this could be a potential problem on Sony or Nintendo's side" kind of thing that would limit what's available?
    The article I linked to earlier states:
    "The Rock Band Network is the result of a 16-month development process with a number of partners. Most important was Microsoft. Tracks released through the Rock Band Network will only be available at first to Xbox 360 users, as it relies on Microsoft's XNA game development platform and its Creators Club online community of developers.

The Creators Club allows freelance developers or hobbyists to make their own games and sell them on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Games created through this process must first be submitted to the Creators Club community for game-play and content review before they are added to the marketplace."
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Kidmitt;2730086 said:
    One question: how are licensing issues going to work? Say Joe the Hacker somehow ends up with the masters (or at least split tracks) to a Pink Floyd song. What's going to stop him from getting that uploaded? How can you verify the uploader actually has rights to the song?
    From the sounds of it hmx is reviewing them.