Official Discussion - Rock Band Network

Comments

• guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I definitely like the idea that bands will be able to choose their own prices on their content: anywere from $.50 - $3.00.

And I'm also happy that we may see this thing by the end of the year.

15 months have gone into this, and coming from HMX, I expect this to be truly revolutionary.

Congrats HMX!
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    For the Xbox 360 * Select songs may also appear on PS3
    Sigh, the PS3 gets shafted again...stupid PS3. ...And none on the Wii?

This is still awesome news. I kind of want to see how it works before I buy the membership.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Just out of curiosity are we going to have to pay for these tracks also this tech alone will cause rock band to be more that just a fad.
  • edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2730053 said:
    Anyone in the office that can? :)

I love the idea, and am glad that it's happening, but nothing has made me feel like the 360 gets special treatment until the wording in those announcements. It's not our faults that the 360 isn't our primary gaming console (I happen to own all 3, but all my friends are on the PS3), and it'd actually very much upset me to be denied a potential massive amount of music just because I own the very same game on a not-360.
    Again, we are working on it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009
    Ok where the hell is this beta I'm hearing about?

Can someone from HMX give us a link or something?

I've scoured a few of the links and can find nothing on it.
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    One question: how are licensing issues going to work? Say Joe the Hacker somehow ends up with the masters (or at least split tracks) to a Pink Floyd song. What's going to stop him from getting that uploaded? How can you verify the uploader actually has rights to the song?
  • guitarheromastaguitarheromasta Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2730070 said:
    So it's a "this could be a potential problem on Sony or Nintendo's side" kind of thing that would limit what's available?
    The article I linked to earlier states:
    "The Rock Band Network is the result of a 16-month development process with a number of partners. Most important was Microsoft. Tracks released through the Rock Band Network will only be available at first to Xbox 360 users, as it relies on Microsoft's XNA game development platform and its Creators Club online community of developers.

The Creators Club allows freelance developers or hobbyists to make their own games and sell them on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Games created through this process must first be submitted to the Creators Club community for game-play and content review before they are added to the marketplace."
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Kidmitt;2730086 said:
    One question: how are licensing issues going to work? Say Joe the Hacker somehow ends up with the masters (or at least split tracks) to a Pink Floyd song. What's going to stop him from getting that uploaded? How can you verify the uploader actually has rights to the song?
    From the sounds of it hmx is reviewing them.
  • DJPookaDJPooka Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2730044 said:
    So would I...and I am in a band! Can't seem to find a link to sign up for it though...
    If I've not been Ninja'd - go to http://creators.rockband.com/ and the signup box is in the top right corner :)
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Kidmitt;2730086 said:
    You don't get the idea of the review section before it gets officially published, do you? :p

Anyway, I see something...
    WTF are Npeaen and S1ck4H4ands going to do now, with hundreds of songs popping up daily? :p
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    For people interested in the beta testing or more information, you can find the form to sign up for more information when it becomes available right on the site :)
  • CrazyIvanCrazyIvan Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    noble;2730082 said:
    Ok where the hell is this beta I'm hearing about?

Can someone from HMX give us a link or something?

I've scoured a few of the links and can find nothing on it.
    http://creators.rockband.com/

Check in the upper right.

D'oh! Ninja'd big time.
  • EdgeheadEdgehead Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    This is seriously the most excited I have ever been for anything in a game, this is so potentially groundbreaking for not just gaming in general but the music industry as well. Congrats HMX
  • metalfenixmetalfenix Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    In the billboard article mentions that this project relies on the XNA platform (wich is a programming platform for making games for the 360 platform).

So don't expect to be seeing this on PS3 or wii soon people :(
  • edited July 2009
    General Lein979;2730092 said:
    From the sounds of it hmx is reviewing them.
    In addition to that all the other reviewers are also reviewing them. It's a pretty tight system. Of course some jerk may try to pull something like that but they will be failed out of the system and very likely have their $100 membership revoked for blatantly breaking the TOS.
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Will there be a length limit on the uploaded songs?

(asks the guy who is praying that Phish releases full shows on the RBN)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009
    All I found on the beta so far was a page calling me a monkey.

http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Closed_Beta_Guide
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    DJPooka;2730098 said:
    If I've not been Ninja'd - go to http://creators.rockband.com/ and the signup box is in the top right corner :)
    Yeah I must be blind, I had looked at that page and totally missed it. Thanks! :)
  • quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    What the ****? Harmonix if you're thinking what I think you're thinking you are the smartest people on the planet. And that's not just to compliment myself!
  • ajisthemanajistheman Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean, harmonix will still be releasing the same amount of songs themselves right? Every song you guys make can be made just as good (theoretically, probably not always) by the labels/musicians/whoever has the masters as the tracks you guys make? Correct?

oh poor SickHands (and napoleon), I'd feel bad for you guys if you have to pay to download all these tracks to upload those youtube vidoes...i think you might need another job if you plan on keeping up your side youtube job

To HMX developers (i'm sure you considered this, if not, maybe consider it if possible) if down the road, you find it impossible to have the PS3/Wii be as updated as Microsoft's system....consider being able to "transfer dlc rights to 360" I don't think that's possible, but have the original system lose all files and the 360 get the same tracks (since the cost would be the same) I doubt its possible, but I never thought this was possible...I'm just throwing it out as a possiblity, since it doesnt appear that the PS3 can do what Microsoft's can
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited July 2009
    noble;2730117 said:
    All I found on the beta so far was a page calling me a monkey.

http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Closed_Beta_Guide
    LMAO. HMX sure has a great sense of humor. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Edgehead;2730040 said:
    I feel like the artist or label isn't going to want to go through the trouble of commissioning a chart for all of their songs.
    Billboard states in their article that indie label, Sub Pop is already on board.
    edited July 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2730100 said:
    You don't get the idea of the review section before it gets officially published, do you? :p
    No, I don't think I do. What if Led Zeppelin (not going to happen, but still) hired a freelancer in the XNA community to chart Stairway? How are the reviewers going to be sure it's legit? Call Zeppelin? Some digital certificate? Maybe I just didn't read close enough.
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Please tell me this will be rolled out in Europe at the same time as it hits in the States.

If we have to wait any extra time for access to this I'll be one unhappy puppy. :(
  • edited July 2009
    Kidmitt;2730086 said:
    Peer review (similar to the XNA indie games process) will catch licensing issues, authoring issues, and content issues.
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2730112 said:
    In addition to that all the other reviewers are also reviewing them. It's a pretty tight system. Of course some jerk may try to pull something like that but they will be failed out of the system and very likely have their $100 membership revoked for blatantly breaking the TOS.
    Okay, that's more reassuring then.
  • striderblackstriderblack Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Well played. That's all I can really say. :)
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    What a fantastic idea. Eventually you could even see a few individuals getting so good at charting that they can do consulting for a bunch of bands. I'd imagine you will be looking for song QA testers around here... I'd love to participate, but of course I'm on PS3 so I guess I'm screwed.

I might even end up helping my brother's band chart a few songs, which I'll never get to play. because, yeah, PS3.

Seriously guys, get on it. The excitement around this announcement just emphases the frustration of not being able to take advantage of it.
  • EdgeheadEdgehead Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    So, in the grand scheme of things, the idea is that the labels will hire their own team of developers to work on their own songs which will be submitted to HMX completed and thus much easier to get into the Marketplace.
  • Watchmen89Watchmen89 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This is amazing..... Don't know what else to really say. The potential of Rock Band Network is insane. The idea that bands that have been stingy with their material can now release their own tracks the way they want.

If this works the way the I hope (and know it will since Harmonix is behind it), THANK YOU FOR THE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES!