Again with the PS3 imbalance?

FlawlessFlawless First Poster
edited July 2009 in Rock Band
I know realistically this didn't warrant it's own thread and neither does my opinion on the matter but this is basically the last straw for myself when it comes to system imbalance in terms of features.

I know they are working on RBN for PSN and understand it's "Sony's fault" but even if I choose to accept that fact there is a nice little...

"Exclusively on Xbox 360 for 30 days" thing attached in the announcement.

Now because of this crap I am no longer purchases Lego Rock Band, The Beatles OR any more DLC until Harmonix find a way to stop screwing the customer post-purchase.

I know I'll get a lot of grief about that last statement and people will say stupid things like, "Get a 360" or "No one cares about your purchasing habits" and I understand I could have e-mailed this to Harmonix, but I felt the need to post it here and now.

(I added my own flame tags to help)

Edit: Apologies, didn't see the official thread, I should know better.

Comments

• shyling3164shyling3164 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    this makes me happy i have the xbox 360 :D
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    You realize the whole reason it's "exclusive" is because the whole process uses XBL's own developement tools right? And that (as you would expect), Sony's developement tools are different, as are Nintendo's.

So to make life easier on the artists, they only have to worry about developing for one platform, and that's the one native to the tools they're using. From there, HMX will work to bring the more popular/successful content over to the other consoles.

Or would you rather the RBN fail miserably because indie artists are forced to pay for dev kits on all three consoles and thus are less inclined to take a risk at making something good?
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    For gosh sakes, this is a small window of exclusivity in exchange, presumably, for access to the development tools Microsoft has created for independent development. Microsoft reasonably expects a value for that and a one month window on exclusivity for indie tracks seems very reasonable. Its hardly "screwing" you.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited July 2009
    I'd rather a company who is control of additions to their games care about their customers equally, T-Hybrid.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I think part of that 30 day exclusive might be the QA period too for testing purposes and seeing whether the song is actually charted worth a damn, at least I'm hoping it is.
    edited July 2009
    Flawless;2730925 said:
    I'd rather a company who is control of additions to their games care about their customers equally, T-Hybrid.
    So basically: "Hey artists. Thanks for wanting to contribute songs. But just a heads up, you're going to have to pay for ALL THREE dev kits. Mostly because Flawless got his feelings hurt."

But on a serious note, can I point back to this thread and laugh at you when a few months down the road you're just complaining about all the "crappy indie songs" that are being released for RBN?
    skyttskytt;2730935 said:
    I think part of that 30 day exclusive might be the QA period too for testing purposes and seeing whether the song is actually charted worth a damn, at least I'm hoping it is.
    From the sound of things, that's all done before the song is placed onto the Marketplace. This is because not only are charts reviewed, but lyrical content will be checked for potentially offensive material.

Of course, this is all already being discussed in the other threads.
  • BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    You are right about one thing, this didn't warrant a new thread.
  • acidicthought8acidicthought8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Flawless;2730925 said:
    I'd like to ask you how one company can make everyone happy when a game is made for 3 different systems, each with their own level of power, features, storage mediums, DRM, online services, company policies, and physical inputs can actually make everyone happy? Apparently you think this is possible.
  • dweber77dweber77 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    T-Hybrid;2730911 said:
    So to make life easier on the artists, they only have to worry about developing for one platform, and that's the one native to the tools they're using. From there, HMX will work to bring the more popular/successful content over to the other consoles.
    I am perfectly fine with this. Granted I might miss out on some of the other stuff out there. But it just means that XBox 360 owners get to weed out the crap for me and I can pick from the good tracks.

Thanks for being the guinea pigs. ;)
    edited July 2009
    T-Hybrid;2730957 said:

But on a serious note, can I point back to this thread and laugh at you when a few months down the road you're just complaining about all the "crappy indie songs" that are being released for RBN?
    Yeah, feel free considering I have NEVER complained about ANY music released in Rock Band and never will.

And no, it's not my feelings hurt at all, I'm stating my actions in retort and explaining my reaction to this. It's an opinion and I'm allowed to express freely and do freely whatever I wish with this new information.

Again, stop trying to start arguments (You're really always at the center, surprised you haven't been banned yet.) it has nothing to do with stopping this brilliant move for Harmonix and the Music Game industry it could easily have been held back for a couple months while Harmonix makes an addition to their franchise available to ALL customers.
  • JoeL_CQCJoeL_CQC Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    i think a reason for the 30 day exclusive, which has been mentioned before is the difference of the coding between the ps3 and 360.

apparently coding for the ps3 is way more complicated, which has turned away some publishers. ie: valve and l4d.

although, HMX could wait, get the coding done on all 3 platforms, and then release it.
    edited July 2009
    dweber77;2730970 said:
    Thanks for being the guinea pigs. ;)
    Nah. I'm perfectly fine with it. Though 360 owners will get the content "first", it also means we're going to get all of the content. So we're going to have to suffer through the garbage to find the gold...whereas by the time the songs reach the PSN and Wii there will be more than sufficient feedback.

It's like Sickhands weekly thread times a million.
    JoeL_CQC;2730981 said:
    apparently coding for the ps3 is way more complicated, which has turned away some publishers. ie: valve and l4d.
    It looks more like HMX is using XBL's developement tools to help establish the service. Hence, any content developed is automatically built for 360 and simply has to be "converted" to a game file.

From the sounds of things, HMX will then eat the cost of translating the more popular RBN songs to the PS3 and Wii. Thus saving a BOATLOAD of work and costs for artists looking to take advantage of the service.
    edited July 2009
    acidicthought8;2730968 said:
    I'd like to ask you how one company can make everyone happy when a game is made for 3 different systems, each with their own level of power, features, storage mediums, DRM, online services, company policies, and physical inputs can actually make everyone happy? Apparently you think this is possible.
    Easy, if I purchase a product I want to be ensured that down the line they won't knowingly disallow me to have access and features to something I paid for.

This is my biggest gripe with this generation and has caused me to skip a lot of great games because of it. (Fallout 3)
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Isn't it a bit early to be complaining?

Seems to me like the process for vetting a song that will eventually be made available for purchase is what's going to determine the window of exclusivity. If all we lose is the ability to playtest upcoming tracks (and those tracks eventually see simultaneous release across all 3 platforms), that's fine by me.

If the songs don't see purchase timing parity across platforms, though, then I would expect a firestorm over the issue (and deservedly so) - and frankly if as a PS3 owner you think you might be shafted, think about how the Wii owners might be feeling since they can't even get a patch to add the extra store and might have to wait for Rock Band 3.
  • edited July 2009
    Let's keep it to the main thread. Also where is this 30 day exclusivity thing? That's not how it works.
This discussion has been closed.