Playstation & Wii users screwed with RBN?

PhenomedomPhenomedom Unsigned
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Stand out tracks will follow on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Wii™ console.
I don't like the sound of that one bit. I'm a huge fan of underground material, and you're telling me because I have a PS3, I'm potentially going to suffer? Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about the RBN but this is the only thing leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Comments

• onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Mine too. Sorry but its out of our hands.
  • ultrastaticultrastatic Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Supposely they say that we get the good part of the cake. While Xbox gets all the cake.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Problem being you can't blame HMX on this, because they ARE working on ways to get this live and working on all the systems.
  • corkscrewblowcorkscrewblow Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Biggest HMX failure since removing stars. What the **** were you thinking?
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited July 2009
    Just get accustomed to not having the full cake this generation, side side effect of the ability to have online.

Or take a firm stance.
  • aricron094aricron094 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    This is why I'm switching to 360. I had always considered it with Wii's lacking storage space and inability to import RB1. Xbox LIVE was also a factor. The announcement of RBN is the final straw. Pretty soon I'll be jamming on a 360 with a hard drive and Xbox LIVE. :)
  • OSTATEKING7OSTATEKING7 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    corkscrewblow;2731317 said:
    yes huge failure.

/sarcasm
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    corkscrewblow;2731317 said:
    Stars, we don't know.

RBN works on a Microsoft built system, so it's bound to have issues getting to the other platforms, because it'd be difficult and expensive to work with all the development kits, while XNA gives them exactly what's needed to work with the system.
    edited July 2009
    aricron094;2731327 said:
    This is why I'm switching to 360. I had always considered it with Wii's lacking storage space and inability to import RB1. Xbox LIVE was also a factor. The announcement of RBN is the final straw. Pretty soon I'll be jamming on a 360 with a hard drive and Xbox LIVE. :)
    Hooray, let's reward bad behaviour!

:cool:
  • ScottWARScottWAR Banned
    edited July 2009
    Sorry you bought an unpopular system. I understand that some people prefer this system over that system. However, you cant forget that when you buy a system you must live with its disadvantages as well as its advantages.

One of the major disadvantages of the PS3 is that it just isnt as popular as the XBOX360. Therefore everything new will be tried first on the XBOX360, since it has more users, and the ability to make more money than the PS3
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Im going to quote T-Hybrid because I suck at writing:

"You realize the whole reason it's "exclusive" is because the whole process uses XBL's own developement tools right? And that (as you would expect), Sony's developement tools are different, as are Nintendo's.

So to make life easier on the artists, they only have to worry about developing for one platform, and that's the one native to the tools they're using. From there, HMX will work to bring the more popular/successful content over to the other consoles."
    edited July 2009
    What does console sales have to do with this?

It's not like people are going to buy RBN, people already own the game ... the audience isn't going to expand. This is a new feature to a game that people already own.

And if console sales were the issue, how come the Wii isn't the one with all the features?

Good lord, if you're going to try to troll come up with something less obvious.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Phenomedom;2731288 said:
    I don't like the sound of that one bit. I'm a huge fan of underground material, and you're telling me because I have a PS3, I'm potentially going to suffer? Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about the RBN but this is the only thing leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
    Then tell Sony to start working closer with it's developers. It's being launched on the XB because the tools are in place and Microsoft worked closely with Harmonix to bring this project to reality.
    edited July 2009
    whofan;2731372 said:
    Then tell Sony to start working closer with it's developers. It's being launched on the XB because the tools are in place and Microsoft worked closely with Harmonix to bring this project to reality.
    Cop-out excuse.

Doesn't explain the 30 days exclusivity.
    Doesn't stop Harmonix from holding content to launch at the same time.

Now I understand there has to be some benefit in this for Microsoft for being the one with the tools, but isn't the XNA license for $100 x each band enough? Why stop content from being delivered to all customers?
    edited July 2009
    Conosle sales have a lot to do with it. If I going to release a new product, what am I going to release on first............

A- the system that sold 1,000,000 units
    B- the system that sold 10,000,000 units

If I sell on console A I will not get as many sales as I will releasing on Console B.

Although the MS networking aspect is probably a bigger factor.
  • JimFear666JimFear666 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Hmx and Microsoft sleep in the same bed, dont be surprised if they prefer to give advantage to the 360. For hmx they do some games on the ps3 only because they can earn extra money but otherwise, they really dont care about ps3 owner since Sony dont contact them to give hmx more money for a "timed exclusivity deal" with rb2
    Its really stupid that xbox360 will have every tracks and on the ps3 we will only have a part of them.
    Hmx need to be a little bit clearer on that...
    edited July 2009
    It's not a new product, it's an addition to an established product where people are already invested into. Console sales are not involved at all and it's stupid to see such blantant trollery.

The big factor is obviously XNA, lol.
  • odd-propsodd-props Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    yet they somehow manage to release all other current dlc within the same period.

and of course rb:beatles is miraculously able to be released on all consoles on the same day even with only ms having the magical developers tools.
    edited July 2009
    ScottWAR;2731345 said:
    Sorry you bought an unpopular system. I understand that some people prefer this system over that system. However, you cant forget that when you buy a system you must live with its disadvantages as well as its advantages.

One of the major disadvantages of the PS3 is that it just isnt as popular as the XBOX360. Therefore everything new will be tried first on the XBOX360, since it has more users, and the ability to make more money than the PS3
    Seriously, if it was a matter of popular everything would be on the Wii. PS3 and 360 have a fair split on the market. If your just going by North America, yes Xbox has a bit of a lead but not when it comes to global numbers. Google before you troll. :rolleyes:
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Flawless;2731392 said:
    Cop-out excuse.

Doesn't explain the 30 days exclusivity.
    Doesn't stop Harmonix from holding content to launch at the same time.

Now I understand there has to be some benefit in this for Microsoft for being the one with the tools, but isn't the XNA license for $100 x each band enough? Why stop content from being delivered to all customers?
    Because Microsoft wants something out of their effort besides the already in place tools. They undoubtedly worked with HMX to make this system work, and thus should be rewarded for their efforts.

Apparently Sony didn't do the same thing, and thus have to take what they're given.
    edited July 2009
    Flawless;2731362 said:
    What does console sales have to do with this?

It's not like people are going to buy RBN, people already own the game ... the audience isn't going to expand. This is a new feature to a game that people already own.

And if console sales were the issue, how come the Wii isn't the one with all the features?

Good lord, if you're going to try to troll come up with something less obvious.
    You realize people are going to be paying for the songs right? SO the more people there are to buy the songs, the more songs will be sold.
  • acidicthought8acidicthought8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    odd-props;2731418 said:
    yet they somehow manage to release all other current dlc within the same period.

and of course rb:beatles is miraculously able to be released on all consoles on the same day even with only ms having the magical developers tools.
    Except the 360 gets "All You Need is Love" as an exclusive track for charity for a limited time.
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    ScottWAR;2731401 said:
    Conosle sales have a lot to do with it. If I going to release a new product, what am I going to release on first............

If I sell on console A I will not get as many sales as I will releasing on Console B.

There are more Wiis than XBox360s.
  • corkscrewblowcorkscrewblow Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    ScottWAR;2731401 said:

Only hardcore RB players will care about RBN, more units sold = more casuals that don't buy DLC and surely don't care about RBN. There's plenty of hardcore players across both consoles so I'm not sure why HMX doesn't want PS3 users' money. Thank god I'm not buying a HMX game till RB3.
    edited July 2009
    ScottWAR;2731401 said:

You also have to look at demographics. If only 1% of the owners of console B buy music games but owners of console A buy 50% then you go with A.
    edited July 2009
    Even if Sony and Nintendo were on board how would that change the distribution of content?

I'm all on board with Microsoft being the big hero in all of this I really am, but I still don't see why the other million+ customers have to have such a staggering delay on the content being produced by this ground breaking and amazing initiative.

That's my problem in all of this, you'd think the $99 XNA per band (most likely)fee would be enough, but no, we have to find a way to punish the other companies for not having the platform to do this also.

Like I mean, why couldn't this be a PC program where then it's sent to Harmonix to get working on all consoles.

It's not about the means, it's about the poor distribution.
    edited July 2009
    onduvalst;2731419 said:
    Seriously, if it was a matter of popular everything would be on the Wii. PS3 and 360 have a fair split on the market. If your just going by North America, yes Xbox has a bit of a lead but not when it comes to global numbers. Google before you troll. :rolleyes:
    I suggest you do the same. Xbox360 and PS3 have nowhere NEAR an equal market share. XBOX 360 has crushed PS3 in sales.

But to be fair the PS3 has been closing the gap quickly this last year, after they dropped the price a little.
  • acidicthought8acidicthought8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    onduvalst;2731419 said:
    If your just going by North America, yes Xbox has a bit of a lead but not when it comes to global numbers. Google before you troll. :rolleyes:
    In that case, when it comes to Rock Band, you can tell it's going to be about North America. Some places haven't gotten RB2 yet, or the instruments at least. So North America would be where to focus.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Didn't a thread like this just get closed...oh yeah.

Listen, it's already been made clear what's happening.

1) MS and the XNA is the only stable set-up able to support this kind of community driven developement. Neither Sony or Nintendo have something like this available.

2) Because of this, the artists will be developing songs centered around the existing XNA platform, and therefore will be native to the 360 when they are complete.

3) Due to licensing fees, it would be impractical to demand artists to develope for all three consoles simultaneous. (HMX appears to be eating the costs involved with translating those songs that do cross over)

It has nothing to do with favorite consoles, and everything to do with MS already having the tools available to make this possible. If Sony or Nintendo can release something simliar to the XNA then I'm sure HMX would LOVE to try and get people developing for whichever consoles they're most familiar with.
    edited July 2009
    Feel free to retort to my last reply T-Hybrid, I know you love being involved with all things heated and would love to see the amazing insight you have to offer.
This discussion has been closed.