Who do you think is going to put more music on the RBN?

SatansBestBuddySatansBestBuddy Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Between indie bands, underground bands and major labels, who do you think is going to get the most use out of RBN?

Personally, I think the major labels, if they really think this is a good way to make money, will be able to put in a lot more resources.

I mean, while there are far more indie bands that can benifit from this, and likely just as many who will be willing to do so, a lot of them can't afford to put in the time and money required to put out more than, say, a song a month, while major labels can put together their own teams to work on decades worth of material that can be put out very rapidly simply because more people can work on more songs.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    While we have no details on this, I'm guessing major labels get a much larger cut when Harmonix pays them for Harmonix to chart the tracks. What's the incentive to do the work themselves when Harmonix will pay them to do it?
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited July 2009
    *Crosses fingers for major labels*

Srsly, Foo Fighters, Rush, Aerosmith entire DISCOGRAPHIES FTW!!!!
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Kidmitt;2732924 said:
    While we have no details on this, I'm guessing major labels get a much larger cut when Harmonix pays them for Harmonix to chart the tracks. What's the incentive to do the work themselves when Harmonix will pay them to do it?
    What's the incentive? 30% of every $3 sale. That's $.90 per download. One million downloads? That's $900,000. How much does HMX pay for a song license, comparatively?
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited July 2009
    Hopefully all 3.

I can't wait to see some more obscure stuff that I'd never expect to see as regular dlc on this.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    As long as Roadrunner takes a liking to it then it will have my attention
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Major labels somewhat, because all-new, never heard before lousy songs recorded in a garage will not be in my purchase interests.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    I don't see the major labels/big names getting involved. They'll stick to the tried-n-true route of traditional RB licensing (and, as stated above, they'd rather let HMX do the grunt work for them).

The only way I see the big names getting involved is if either (a) the band feels like their label is giving them the runaround, and/or their label is preventing them from getting into RB when they want to join the game; or (b) a big name decides to promote a new album with a track or two.

Otherwise, RBN will primarily exist as a launching pad for garage bands, underground artists and indie labels.

And this will *totally* revolutionize the way those kinds of up-n-comers get their music out to the masses. All the famous bands who had to do things the hard way will be jealous as hell.
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Internet dudes who bit torrent the software, use various tools to split up mp3s into separate tracks, and try to put up tons of Led Zeppelin and Metallica.
    edited July 2009
    princeofcups;2734935 said:
    Internet dudes who bit torrent the software, use various tools to split up mp3s into separate tracks, and try to put up tons of Led Zeppelin and Metallica.
    Not gonna happen with peer review.
  • tidutidu Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I can see each label hiring a team of charters and releasing a few songs each week alongside HMX. Or maybe having like WMG Day, Sony Day, etc. That'd be cool. But now that they have more power, I can see higher prices for these as well... :/ just look at iTunes. Popular songs are now $1.29. Obviously there's money to be made with this platform, or else interest would have died a year ago.
  • GraniteGranite Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I really doubt major labels will embraces this when they are currently getting solid $$ from HMX to do their songs.

I think this will be more geared toward new bands/garage bands that want to get their music published cheap. I think you are going to get the basic kids who just learded how to play an instrument to some local bands. But no one that has a "real" record deal would do this if they could make serious money on their music by having HMX purchase the license/rights to publish their song.

Edit - You also might get bands that have strong local followings in the larger metropolitan areas that are solid bands but lack the money or record label to be signed. So you very well might get lesser known regional bands take the time to do this. However, this wont be an outlet for Van Halen, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age, etc. I am sure they will steer clear of this.

EDIT - Just at Cherokee Sam Stated much more elequently than I did.
  • SportzterSportzter Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Lady Siara;2733550 said:
    Hopefully all 3.

I can't wait to see some more obscure stuff that I'd never expect to see as regular dlc on this.
    Dont we get a solid amount of obscure stuff now. I mean, we get a large mix of genres (not all mainstream for me) and music from the Mayhem Pack to Pearl Jam. Maybe it is just me, but I would love to see more mainstream stuff instead of the lesser known music.
    cherokeesam;2733686 said:
    I don't see the major labels/big names getting involved. They'll stick to the tried-n-true route of traditional RB licensing (and, as stated above, they'd rather let HMX do the grunt work for them).

The only way I see the big names getting involved is if either (a) the band feels like their label is giving them the runaround, and/or their label is preventing them from getting into RB when they want to join the game; or (b) a big name decides to promote a new album with a track or two.

Otherwise, RBN will primarily exist as a launching pad for garage bands, underground artists and indie labels.

And this will *totally* revolutionize the way those kinds of up-n-comers get their music out to the masses. All the famous bands who had to do things the hard way will be jealous as hell.
    I think you have it right on Cherokee Sam. It will definitely give those bands a platform never before seen/utilized in music.
  • AbeotroidAbeotroid Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    One question before I have an answer... uh...

What does RBN stand for? Rock Band Network?
  • SportzterSportzter Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Really Big Ninjas

Russian Born Nannies

Running Blond Norwegians
  • harveyglobetrotharveyglobetrot Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Definitely indie bands or underground/garage bands. I can't see the majors getting too heavily involved in this. Unless the cut is much larger off the RBN sale than a normal DLC sale, I just don't see them investing much time in it. Maybe for some of their newly signed, smaller bands, or the odd promo single from a more established act, but anyone expecting reams of DLC from huge names to come through the RBN is just setting themselves up for disappointment.
  • mcs08mcs08 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I think a few things have to happen for a major label to start doing their own tracks. They have to do some sort of research of the profitability of this kind of endeavor. Then they have to do some market research on how long they think the popularity of rock band is going to be strong. Once they know that they can look into starting a new department of people that just make tracks for rock band using their collection of music.

Once that is done I would think we would have greater access to their bands discography. This will probably be independent for each label, so you may see some labels joining at different times.

What this is going to make happen is mostly garage and indie bands being first on the network with their music. This is going to give them a great platform for getting their music into people's hands as well as gain popularity. But later the bigger labels are going to show up, but it should take a while. The bigger labels still have another outlet for releasing their music, I'm sure they look forward to a week when HMX publishes a song on RB. Why wouldn't they just put some of their own stuff out instead of begging HMX or patiently waiting for it to come around.

The whole process doesn't seem to be much of a barrier to entry and neither is the upfront cost to do it. The only limitation that exists that will slow the streamline of music is the ownership rights.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited July 2009
    Sportzter;2735775 said:
    Dont we get a solid amount of obscure stuff now. I mean, we get a large mix of genres (not all mainstream for me) and music from the Mayhem Pack to Pearl Jam. Maybe it is just me, but I would love to see more mainstream stuff instead of the lesser known music.
    That's what the regularly scheduled dlc is for, for the most part. :\
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    Like I said in the official discussion, I'm willing to guess that we'll be seeing a massive amount of content from Nine Inch Nails.

I'm talking new original songs, rarities, live, etc.

The Slip rehearsals anyone?
  • KozmicRiffKozmicRiff Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I think that it will mostly be underground, Indie and beginning garage bands.

I could see some of the Older bands that were big but not huge and who are having a hard time getting songs on the platform utilizing this to get their songs out to a younger crowd. Or maybe they can only get HMX to release a single song but this way they can get whole song packs or albums out in the market. This would seem perfect for bands like W.A.S.P., White Lion, Anthrax, King Crimson, all the 80s hair bands,,,, etc.
    edited July 2009
    I could also see the big modern bands releasing new singles this way in addition to i tunes, cds and the radio.... Why turn down another outlet for music sales?

This may also open up the pop door. I could see Lady Gaga, Kayne West, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Black Eyed Peas, etc.... all salivating over this oppertunity....
    edited July 2009
    KozmicRiff;2735945 said:
    I could also see the big modern bands releasing new singles this way in addition to i tunes, cds and the radio.... Why turn down another outlet for music sales?

This may also open up the pop door. I could see Lady Gaga, Kayne West, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Black Eyed Peas, etc.... all salivating over this oppertunity....
    The thing about the big names is not that they aren't interested in getting into RB, it's merely an issue of taking the do-it-yourself route versus letting HMX *pay* you to handle it themselves, professionally. The big labels and big bands are 99.99% likely to favor the latter route --- let HMX do the grunt work of charting, etc, and put your stuff out there the traditional way.

That's not to say that there *aren't* big names out there who won't test out the RBN waters. For one thing, there's plenty of artists who just like to stay on top of the latest trends in music and tech, and I could definitely see bands with a proven track record with HMX (like NIN, Foo Fighters, RHCP, even Rush and The Who) who'd just have a blast coming up with a new song or two exclusively for RBN just to get a chance to piddle with the technology.
  • Felldoh_The_SquirrelFelldoh_The_Squirrel Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I honestly think Indie or Underground bands will take more advantage of this, but who knows? ;)
  • ShadowChaosControlShadowChaosControl Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    i actually think it'll be flooded by both varying-quality big-name, and indie bands, i don't want either, i think of this as a place for indie bands to get their name out, if it is filled with big name, then everybody will swarm to them, and not even look at the indie/underground music
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2736040 said:
    The thing about the big names is not that they aren't interested in getting into RB, it's merely an issue of taking the do-it-yourself route versus letting HMX *pay* you to handle it themselves, professionally. The big labels and big bands are 99.99% likely to favor the latter route --- let HMX do the grunt work of charting, etc, and put your stuff out there the traditional way.

That's not to say that there *aren't* big names out there who won't test out the RBN waters. For one thing, there's plenty of artists who just like to stay on top of the latest trends in music and tech, and I could definitely see bands with a proven track record with HMX (like NIN, Foo Fighters, RHCP, even Rush and The Who) who'd just have a blast coming up with a new song or two exclusively for RBN just to get a chance to piddle with the technology.

I kinda of assumed that the Big Names would have their Labels/Management appoint someone in the label to organize and make these tracks. I do not see Jon Bon Jovi or Dave Matthews sitting around making video games, they are too busy writing the actual songs and touring and such.

Now I could see Jon Bon Jovi's management team saying hey lets get the new Bon Jovi Album on rock band as a way to reach the younger audience just to have negotiations with HMX end with a three song pack of the new stuff to come out in 3-6 months followed by a greatest hits to be released 6 months later.

Why not have someone in the organization/label do it themselves? That way they can get all the songs on that they want and have a little more creative control.

That said it probably depends on the profit cut also. If doing it the traditional way nets Bon Jovi 25% of the sales plus a licensing bonus vs a straight 10% of the sales by doing it themselves.... they will probably opt to go the traditional route and just get on what they can with HMX.....
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I see it starting with a lot of indie and garage bands, but eventually getting to the point where mainstream bands use it. That said, I could see us paying 3 bucks per song. But if it's good and charted nicely, why not?
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Lady Siara;2733550 said:
    Hopefully all 3.

Underground Metal FTW! :D
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    the creators of the track get 30% of the sales
    edited July 2009
    Zidane;2736074 said:
    I see it starting with a lot of indie and garage bands, but eventually getting to the point where mainstream bands use it. That said, I could see us paying 3 bucks per song. But if it's good and charted nicely, why not?
    I wish people would stop floating around that 3 dollars a song idea. At some point HMX is going to catch wind of it.....
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2736079 said:
    the creators of the track get 30% of the sales
    I wonder what the current pay structure is for the bigger names? It is probably negotiated on a deal by deal basis....
  • SatansBestBuddySatansBestBuddy Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    KozmicRiff;2736080 said:
    I wish people would stop floating around that 3 dollars a song idea. At some point HMX is going to catch wind of it.....
    The press release says that people can charage from $0.50-$3.00 for their songs.