so about the Rock Band Network...

McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
say i am in a band.

we have original material that we've recorded and mastered.

how would i go about getting our music into the game?

any thoughts?

Comments

  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited July 2009
    Buying stuff.

    Yay!

    There is a site that shows you how though.
  • greyguysgreyguys Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I'm really excited about this

    because the band I'm in is defiantly planning on putting some songs up as dlc
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    overdriveguitarman;2734000 said:
    Buying stuff.

    Yay!

    There is a site that shows you how though.
    where can i find such a site?

    thanks!
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2734077 said:
    yeah, i just found that...

    thanks!
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited July 2009
    McCREE;2734067 said:
    where can i find such a site?

    thanks!
    I probably sounded like an idiot, but

    When I said by buying stuff, you have to buy a one or two programs in order to make and upload your charts.

    I think all the information is at a creators rock band site, it should be somewhere...

    Edit: Ninja'ed
  • OSTATEKING7OSTATEKING7 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Doesn't it cost 100 dollars a year so you can upload these songs to Harmonix?
  • AgamousChildAgamousChild Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I imagine that there will be people who know music and computers who will do this for bands and labels.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    You need at a minimum, $99 for XNA and $60 for a XBL Gold account. The Gold account varies depending if you can find it on sale.

    You might also have to pay somebody to chart everything if you or your band are unable to set it up yourselves.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    So pretty much if your music is unsuccessful you won't be able to do it. But my question is do you actually need a xbox 360 to do this, or can I do it on my PC.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    AKALink;2734320 said:
    So pretty much if your music is unsuccessful you won't be able to do it. But my question is do you actually need a xbox 360 to do this, or can I do it on my PC.
    What do you mean by "unsuccessful"?

    The purpose of this program is to give bands and labels the tools to get their work into Rock Band. As far as we know, the only way a song gets rejected is if it fails to pass the verification process.

    You need both a Xbox 360 and a PC.

    You need the PC to create the charts and submit the files to RBN. The 360 to test your songs in the Rock Band environment.
  • N-PlayN-Play Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    so as a Wii user with inability to get XBA or XBL i'm screwed?

    I have a cousin with an Xbox, No RB2 and Possibly XB-whatev membership, so i have hope...

    I Think i need a band first.. lol
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Magik_Tek;2734371 said:
    What do you mean by "unsuccessful"?

    The purpose of this program is to give bands and labels the tools to get their work into Rock Band. As far as we know, the only way a song gets rejected is if it fails to pass the verification process.

    You need both a Xbox 360 and a PC.

    You need the PC to create the charts and submit the files to RBN. The 360 to test your songs in the Rock Band environment.
    I mean if they don't sell.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    N-Play;2734394 said:
    so as a Wii user with inability to get XBA or XBL i'm screwed?
    Pretty much. Just hope that Nintendo has some sort of equivalent to XNA in the future.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Magik_Tek;2734403 said:
    Pretty much. Just hope that Nintendo has some sort of equivalent to XNA in the future.
    or pay a friend to get that and use their, preferably someone with Xbox live gold and rock band. That is what I think I will do.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    AKALink;2734397 said:
    I mean if they don't sell.
    I still don't see how if a song doesn't sell as much as one would hope means you can't do anything on RBN. It shouldn't stop a band from continuing to put content on it. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to say?
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Magik_Tek;2734429 said:
    I still don't see how if a song doesn't sell as much as one would hope means you can't do anything on RBN. It shouldn't stop a band from continuing to put content on it. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to say?
    Since it takes a huge amount of work and time to just chart songs and to then pay money to be able to upload them, if a band doesn't get a good return from the tracks I don't think bands will go very far with it. Especially since we will be seeing a lot of random people trying to get famous by getting music on rock band.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    AKALink;2734461 said:
    Since it takes a huge amount of work and time to just chart songs and to then pay money to be able to upload them, if a band doesn't get a good return from the tracks I don't think bands will go very far with it. Especially since we will be seeing a lot of random people trying to get famous by getting music on rock band.
    The only money that is paid is the XNA and XBL fees. Those are yearly fees. There is NO fee to upload material. As far as we know, there is no limit to the amount of songs a band can put up.

    RBN is giving indie bands the opportunity to use RB to get their work known, but it isn't going to do all the work for them. The band has to help themselves along with it. If bands want to maximize their sales they are going to have to do some promotion work on their using such things as Facebook, MySpace or Youtube.

    What exactly is considered a good return?

    Lets use the bare minimum cost of a song, $1.00. Bands will get a cut of $0.30 a song, so to make up the cost for XNA and XBL, lets say $160, a band needs to sell around 575 songs. Once the fees are recovered, everything after that is profit.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    Magik_Tek;2734267 said:
    You need at a minimum, $99 for XNA and $60 for a XBL Gold account. The Gold account varies depending if you can find it on sale.
    You also need to purchase at least a single-user license for Reaper (the program used to do the chart authoring), and that's $60.
  • LORDJUJULORDJUJU Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2736206 said:
    You also need to purchase at least a single-user license for Reaper (the program used to do the chart authoring), and that's $60.
    I thought we would need the full commercial license, not just the single-user. If we are making money (potentially) off the sales of these projects, wouldn't the commerial license be necessary ?

    EDIT: Commerial license is only needed if the yearly gross revenue is over $20,000 USD
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Magik_Tek;2734403 said:
    Pretty much. Just hope that Nintendo has some sort of equivalent to XNA in the future.
    they already do, its called Wiiware and costs roughly 1,500 bucks if you wanna play around with it (someone told me this?)
Sign In or Register to comment.