Rock Band Network: Developer Quotes and Clarification

Is RBN confusing you? Here's a compilation of links, resources, and developer quotes on the service so far:

News Breaking Article:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4d0b1b4303c83997ea8bf1f3ea673d95

Press Release:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=152225

Official Discussion:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152203

FAQ:
http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Main_Page

Discussion of Bands that may likely be coming to RBN:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

On the country availability of the RBN:
HMXMister_Game;2737410 said:
RBN songs will be available for sale in North America (inc Canada) and Europe. Submitters of RBN songs will need to be from the U.S.
HMXMister_Game;2741555 said:
To be specific, to submit a song, you must be a resident of the U.S. Where the band is from has nothing to do with it.

Of course unsigned bands can submit songs! You have to own the rights to the material. Unsigned bands will probably have to do less work to make sure their material is in the clear.

On allowing covers on the RBN:
HMXMister_Game;2737369 said:
Covers will not be allowed to be submitted for RBN. We made this decision in order to simplify the process by which we can assure ourselves that the submitter of the song owns all the necessary rights.

On availability for non-Xbox consoles:
hmxsean;2729976 said:
We are working closely with the other consoles to get it work. We do hope that we can make this viable for all systems at some point.
hmxsean;2730794 said:
All I can say is we are working on it. I would say there is very little chance that the hand-picked songs we can move over would hit at the same time. procedurally I would say that is currently impossible technically. Again, we are talking to, and have been talking to for some time, the other consoles so we can make this universal.
hmxsean;2731150 said:
Whoa. Hold back a little. That has nothing to do with anything like that. This was a massive undertaking requiring significant infrastructure to support both on our side and at the console level. XNA is an existing infrastructure that could actually make this a reality. It has nothing to do with what you're saying. As I said we have been talking to everybody for some time about making this happen. And we will continue to do so. We want this music to be available for everyone.
HMXEnosity;2731763 said:
It was never a necessity. I would love to see the RBN on all consoles. I really want RBN to embody that same passion as many underground artists have trying to get their music heard by just one more person. I hope that those same artists embrace and join RBN. I'm one of them. I release most of my music for free because I love sharing my art.
hmxsean;2732697 said:
We have been talking to all first-party partners for a while. This is not a surprise to anyone.

Clarification on what "select songs" means as coming to the Wii/PS3:
hmxsean;2730047 said:
I can't really give a full explanation other than to say we are working with the outside parties to make this available universally. And until then its our intention to at least get some of the premium content moved over.
hmxsean;2731060 said:
Just saw that. Not sure exactly what that is on about but will investigate. The way the process will work is that we will be able to pick songs that rise to the top and hand move them over to the other systems when possible. Our dream is that one day we can get this to be universal on all infrastructures.

Who does the charting/legwork behind these tracks?
HMXEnosity;2730026 said:
The artist has the option to charts songs themselves.
We give all Rock Band Network members the tools to do this.
(ie: not Harmonix)

What if people try to "game the system" and get illegal stuff up on the service?
HMXEnosity;2730149 said:
Peer review (similar to the XNA indie games process) will catch licensing issues, authoring issues, and content issues.
hmxsean;2730112 said:
In addition to that all the other reviewers are also reviewing them. It's a pretty tight system. Of course some jerk may try to pull something like that but they will be failed out of the system and very likely have their $100 membership revoked for blatantly breaking the TOS.

Limits on song length of RBN songs?
HMXEnosity;2730203 said:
We are committed to giving artists the same tools that Harmonix uses when authoring music. I want to make it clear that RBN Store songs (if authored to the fullest) will be of the same caliber of songs in the RB Music Store. More details to come later :)
(ie: doesn't sound like there is one or else its pretty large)

What does this mean for regular DLC that we're used to?
HMXEnosity;2730224 said:
The Rock Band Music Store will not see a drop in weekly output due to the Rock Band Network. They are separate entities.
HMXEnosity;2730443 said:
I think if there's an indie and that we're excited about, there's still a huge possibility that we will chart them.

Possibility of instrumentals or having an instrument missing:
HMXEnosity;2731428 said:
short answer - yes

Will songs be required to cater to every difficulty level (easy, medium, hard, expert)
HMXEnosity;2731704 said:
Correct

Workflow of steps to get your songs in the game:
HMXEnosity;2731457 said:
- Band X wants in RB
- Band X signs up for the RBN creators club
- Band X gets the tools to author / test / submit a song
- Band X authors / tests / submits a song
- Other RBN creators club members test the song / give feedback and ultimately pass the song
- Band X's song goes live in the RBN music store.

On charting and quality:
HMXEnosity;2731817 said:
Documentation will be released in the coming month. We want the Rock Band Network to have the same standards of quality that our weekly dlc has. Keep checking out - http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Authoring for more details..
HMXEnosity;2731861 said:
Yes, you will be able to test songs in-game before submitting them.

More info on charting is coming soon :)
HMXEnosity;2731901 said:
Like most UGC, RBN charting will take some time. This isn't a program with a "Chart" button ;)

Charting non-guitar parts to guitar:
HMXEnosity;2732093 said:
We've done some creative charting before. Piano or Organ solo on Guitar for example. I think it will be encouraged as long as it's tasteful. I have a song coming out for RBN where a bleepy synth is authored to guitar. There's no guitar in the track so it's tasteful.

On pricing:
HMXEnosity;2732038 said:
As of right now there are not any plans for a "free" option on RBN songs.
hmxsean;2732056 said:
The $.50 was actually a bit incorrect the lowest price is actually 80 MS Points.
Editor note: Pricing will be 1 to 3 dollars in 50 cent increments.

On Harmonix promoting/featuring various artists as they appear in the RBN store:
HMXEnosity;2745110 said:
We're planning to promote RBN songs in many different ways. Both popular and HMX favorites will be easy to keep track of...

More info on what a developer/creator can customize on their tracks:
HMXEnosity;2746796 said:
You will be able to add album art, genre info, ratings, album info, year, etc...
[/url]

thanks
When it will launch publicly:
hmxsean;2733522 said:
When public Beta launches later this Summer. Store actually opens once it has plenty of content late this Fall.

On Rock Band 1 and other things:
HMXEnosity;2762706 said:
1 - More information on Animations is coming soon.

2 - RBN songs will be sortable by album.

3 - No RBN store in RB1.

4 - RBN songs do not work in RB1.

Comments

• cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2738457 said:
    30 seconds? Wow. We're practically going to get TV show themes out of this.
    Not unless you know somebody who owns the rights to a TV show theme.

RBN is going to be 99.99% original content; as you must have read in the FAQ, covers are *not* allowed, nor will you be allowed to upload content that you don't own the copyright for.
  • NiwirBigalNiwirBigal Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Okay, just to clarify something I've been wondering. We can't upload songs we don't have the rights to, but will it be possible for a user to chart a song themselves and just have it on their own 360 for personal use, without having to submit the song online?
    edited July 2009
    NiwirBigal;2738723 said:
    Okay, just to clarify something I've been wondering. We can't upload songs we don't have the rights to, but will it be possible for a user to chart a song themselves and just have it on their own 360 for personal use, without having to submit the song online?
    Probably.
    That seems to be the purpose of the Auditioning we'll get after the patch for RB 2.2 comes out in a few weeks. You'll be able to test-play songs on your own game before submitting them for review.

Not sure if you'd be able to actually save and store those tracks, though, so if you're looking to put your entire iTunes into your own personal RB setlist, I srsly doubt that's gonna happen.
  • NiwirBigalNiwirBigal Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, storing them was what I meant.
  • KrutzakKrutzak Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2737537 said:
    Dead link there!

EDIT: fixed now
  • newfroJDIXnewfroJDIX Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Wow, Rock Band just continues to kick more ass every day. I swear it boggles my mind how Guitar Hero is even a competing product anymore, especially with this new beauty which makes GHTunes look like a children's toy.
    edited July 2009
    Apples, do you mind if we post more questions for the devs here?

I'm wondering how the content delivery is taken care of? Do the songs still need to be submitted through Xbox Live (meaning they'll have to wait for Tuesdays they'll appear in the RB page in the marketplace and they're subject to whatever problems MS has with the marketplace) or is this bypassing that?
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    1. I'm in america, so while I'm not directly affected by the USA only rule, it seems rather harsh. Could a HMXer clarify on the reasoning behind that, and an estimates for when we could get some foreign rock? Most of my favorite bands are British (everyone from The Who to Iron Maiden to Franz Ferdinand), and the continent, Australia, Africa, Asia, and South America all have hundreds of great artists. This can't be fair to them.

2. Regarding original songs: say I'm in a band, and we do a mix of original songs, covers of well known songs, and rewritten covers of songs that have been in the public domain for a hundred years (for popular examples think Grateful Dead's Cold Rain and Snow or Zeppelin's Gallows Pole). If we do a rewrite of a song in the public domain, would that be permissible on Rock Band Network, or would we have to write one hundred percent original material?
  • The Highway To HellThe Highway To Hell Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I'm really confused, what's the difference between this and the music store. They sound exactly the same.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    The Highway To Hell;2740334 said:
    I'm really confused, what's the difference between this and the music store. They sound exactly the same.
    There are going to be 2 stores. One houses the current and continued releases by Harmonix. The other will house everything released through the RBN.
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2740364 said:
    There are going to be 2 stores. One houses the current and continued releases by Harmonix. The other will house everything released through the RBN.
    So... why are they making 2 stores.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    The Highway To Hell;2740370 said:
    I'd imagine to keep things organized, so those not interested in 3rd-party generated charts don't have to look through them, and so you know for sure that the ones you are looking at are officially made by Harmonix or not.

The main thing is most likely organization, though, just aesthetics kind of reasons. "These are the ones we made, and these are the ones made through the RBN."
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2740381 said:
    I'd imagine to keep things organized, so those not interested in 3rd-party generated charts don't have to look through them, and so you know for sure that the ones you are looking at are officially made by Harmonix or not.

The main thing is most likely organization, though, just aesthetics kind of reasons. "These are the ones we made, and these are the ones made through the RBN."
    OK thanks.
    edited July 2009
    The Highway To Hell;2740370 said:
    Think of it as a professional league vs. an amateur league.

There will be great songs to be found in both music stores, but most people (including you and me) will prefer to keep them separate rather than shuffle through a TON of user-generated content to get to the bigger-name bands you might be looking for.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2740574 said:
    Think of it as a professional league vs. an amateur league.
    Well, let's actually not. :) I would hate to see good bands not show up in RBN because it's regarded as an amateur league.
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Awe, I was kind of excited to see $.50 (40MSP) songs, too bad that was a mistake.:p

Also, the ten minute cap seems...limiting. At least for the music I like. That's a little unfortunate.

Also, that US-only this sucks big time. Get working on including the world, HMX!
  • Zacek1000Zacek1000 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I have a band and we have a lot of questions. What will happen with the rights of the songs? We should give them to Harmonix? What happens with the tax, and the legal issues? Can we upload songs in Japanese, or Spanish? Well, if you want to check our music, go to www.myspace.com/thmkm
    We love the idea, but we need more information!
    And why are you limiting this only to USA and Europe? We are from Mexico and we know a lot of bands wanting something like this! Japan has a lot of indie bands...
    When do you think people all over the world can upload songs? That would add very different styles, really.
  • RubicanteRubicante Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    D'oh, I was excited about the possibility of long songs. Why would there be a 3 dollar option then? I thought the point was for songs that require significantly more effort to chart.
  • IlikemynameIlikemyname Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    If there's no way we can show we have rights to a cover??? How can we show we even have rights to our own songs??
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited July 2009
    HMXMister_Game;2737410 said:
    RBN songs will be available for sale in North America (inc Canada) and Europe. Submitters of RBN songs will need to be from the U.S.
    Oh thank goodness!
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited July 2009
    Zacek1000;2740651 said:
    I have a band and we have a lot of questions. What will happen with the rights of the songs? We should give them to Harmonix? What happens with the tax, and the legal issues? ...
    Patience, my young Jedi. All will be revealed soon.

The Terms Of Use for submitters spell out exactly what song rights we ask for. Generally speaking, we will only ask for what we need to review and distribute the songs in the game, but pretty soon you'll be able to read over the whole agreement in minute detail.
  • IlikemynameIlikemyname Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Ilikemyname;2740667 said:
    If there's no way we can show we have rights to a cover??? How can we show we even have rights to our own songs??
    Nevemind found the answer in another thread...So I'm guessing we can do covers if we have all parties in agreement?
  • aspiringaspiring Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Renrock;2738421 said:
    You could still have your own stuff in the game. You'll just need to use a US company to submit it for you.
    That would require some serious money and/or time. I dont think its going to happen for a lot of bands that are unsigned and would like to use this to get a bit of money and exposure. I do wonder why HMX have chosen this though.
  • RayMkIIRayMkII Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    How is this all going to work for online play? Currently, as it is, all people in your online party have to have a song downloaded for it to be playable over XBL. With this new system there's going to be TONS of songs. How are these going to be playable online? From what it looks like now we're NEVER going to get to play ANY of these songs online. Is that just an unavoidable disadvantage of having so many tracks or are there plans for a workaround?
    edited July 2009
    RayMkII;2740854 said:
    How is this all going to work for online play? Currently, as it is, all people in your online party have to have a song downloaded for it to be playable over XBL. With this new system there's going to be TONS of songs. How are these going to be playable online? From what it looks like now we're NEVER going to get to play ANY of these songs online. Is that just an unavoidable disadvantage of having so many tracks or are there plans for a workaround?
    That's why it'll pay even more to check out the "Bands Wanted" forum, and check out the list of people with similar DLC to you. Random band quickplay has always been a terrible idea, and even more so once RBN kicks in. Play only with friends, online and off, not random strangers. :)
  • Viewtiful JasonViewtiful Jason Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    So from what I understand this is for people who want to do it themselves. But, the idea of having separate stores still seems confusing to me, especially if big name artists and record labels have this power also. Indie stuff I understand, but now this just seems kind of unnecessary. Do people who really get a lot of attention on RBN have their songs re-charted by Harmonix and put in the Music Store? By that I mean does this act as a sort of waiting list to get onto the Music Store, a sort of "prove your worth"?
  • NormanCoxwellNormanCoxwell Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    So it appears that the lack of covers is strategically a good thing but how exactly is that going to be enforced?
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I thought this would be US-only (for making/uploading,) but it still sucks.
  • edited July 2009
    It sort of boggles me how much emphasis/questioning is being put on cover songs given the immense feedback and lashback against them from the early days of Rock Band.

I mean, back in the day people were boycotting them, and blasting the idea at every turn.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I think some bands prefer feeling the lash of inspiration that comes from covering a song versus the propelling leadership that is required to write original material.

^ Just a hypothesis.