RBN What about PS3 and Wii users?

MEPHILISMEPHILIS Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
At the time I'm making this thread, I've read everything there is to read about RBN at the creators website. From what I understand, PS3 users won't be able to audition and upload songs, but 360 users will be able to do everything with RBN. Heck, PS3 users won't even be getting as many songs as 360 users!

Why? Why is it that PS3 users are getting less of the RBN package then 360 users? I understand that the PS3 is harder to program for, but that hasn't stopped HMX from creating games for it, so why take away the auditioning and uploading feature from PS3 users, who paid $500 - $600 to get their console? Kind of unfair if you ask me. There isn't even a stated reason for downgrading the PS3's RBN!

From what I also undertand, Micro$oft has made a deal with HMX once again. Making the RB2 Xbox360 release more than a month sooner than the PS3, Wii, and PS2 was unfair enough, but downgrading a feature for people who don't own a 360?! PS3's cost more than the highest priced 360, therefore, we hurt our wallets more than 360 users did, so why do we PS3 users get outcasted from over half of RBN?! It's stupid!

But who am I kidding? The Wii isn't even gonna have RBN at all!

Comments

• AgentespioAgentespio Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Its because RBN is built of the XNA community platform, something that is exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC

Geez. Use search first.
  • MEPHILISMEPHILIS Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Agentespio;2740174 said:
    Its because RBN is built of the XNA community platform, something that is exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC

Geez. Use search first.
    So that's basically saying that PS3 users have to spend $200 on an Xbox 360 and $190 for RB2 just to use RBN...
    edited July 2009
    It's the conspiracy, maaaan. They're all about keeping us PS3 users down, maaaan.

Read Apple's collection of developer quotes on the service. There's about five on the 360 stuff about a third of the way down
    edited July 2009
    MEPHILIS;2740187 said:
    So that's basically saying that PS3 users have to spend $200 on an Xbox 360 and $190 for RB2 just to use RBN...
    Ok, I'll bite.

No, it means that Sony needs to be able to build the infrastructure that the Xbox already has in place. Until the PS3 is capable of handling the full RBN system Harmonix will do it's best to port over tracks.
  • AgentespioAgentespio Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    For comparison, just look at how Nintendo treats patches and other updates through games on the Wii. Its all against Harmonix's will that they couldn't update RB1 to include DLC.

That is exactly what is happening towards the Wii and PS3...

Get it?

In review:
    NOT Harmonix's fault.
    Sony's fault YES.
  • Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    No offence but what is the point of this poll?

From the get go Harmonix has chosen the 360 as it's base platform for everything.

This is no surprise and nothing you can do can change their minds.
  • libregkdlibregkd Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Agentespio;2740206 said:

In review:
    NOT Harmonix's fault.
    Sony's fault YES.
    Except it is possible to do on the PS3. HMX just doesn't want to go through the trouble in making something that is compatible with the PS3.

Quite frankly, all of this really ticks me off sometimes. Its one thing to favor another console, its a whole other thing to screw over other platforms your game is on.
    edited July 2009
    libregkd;2740296 said:
    Except it is possible to do on the PS3. HMX just doesn't want to go through the trouble in making something that is compatible with the PS3.
    According to whom? Or are you calling the HMX devs liars? Read the quotes in the link I posted a few posts up, they say that it's just not possible on the PS3 until Sony gets something similar to the XNA.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    MEPHILIS;2740165 said:
    At the time I'm making this thread, I've read everything there is to read about RBN at the creators website.
    Since you made this post - No, no you did not read everything there is to read on this subject.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    According to whom? Or are you calling the HMX devs liars? Read the quotes in the link I posted a few posts up, they say that it's just not possible on the PS3 until Sony gets something similar to the XNA.
    I don't think it's only XNA. It's also user generated content being able to be uploaded to the stores. Sony and Nintendo don't allow that.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    libregkd;2740296 said:
    HMX didn't "make" what is being used for the RBN. Microsoft did. Try getting Sony to do it instead.
    Quite frankly, all of this really ticks me off sometimes. Its one thing to favor another console, its a whole other thing to screw over other platforms your game is on.
    Basically the same answer. If HMX and MTV are working with Microsoft, it's because MS has what they need.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Samuel346;2740216 said:
    From the get go Harmonix has chosen the 360 as it's base platform for everything.
    Yes, because MS's willingness to work closely with HMX and MTV from the beginning didn't have anything to do with it.
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2740312 said:
    I don't think it's only XNA. It's also user generated content being able to be uploaded to the stores. Sony and Nintendo don't allow that.
    I'm sorta wondering if the RBN isn't somehow bypassing the XBL marketplace. This is something on a whole 'nother scale that the marketplace hasn't been used for and I'm almost wondering if it is designed to be able to handle it. Then again it could just be part of "Harmonix working closely with the first parties."
  • SamCrowSamCrow Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I've only read bits and pieces on the RBN. This is a huge step that i am very happy to hear about. But as A PS3 user, i am more than just a little ticked off. I shelled out big bucks on this system and even more big bucks on DLC and a very large hard drive to support HMX and this incredible game. I'm just tired of feeling like a 2nd rate citizen to IMHO a 2nd rate console in the 360. I'm not trying to start a flame war here... that was just my opinion. Anyway, i will not purchase anything from the RBN until it is available in it's entirety on the PS3.
    edited July 2009
    Did you not read what I typed? It is possible on the PS3, the only problem is that HMX would have to make the system themselves instead of working off soemthing like XNA.

I'm not too worried though, I'm sure Sony is gonna help them get this working on the PS3 in no time. It would provide a nice boost to both their Gaming and Music divisions.
  • verdigeverdige Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    SamCrow;2740333 said:
    I've only read bits and pieces on the RBN. This is a huge step that i am very happy to hear about. But as A PS3 user, i am more than just a little ticked off. I shelled out big bucks on this system and even more big bucks on DLC and a very large hard drive to support HMX and this incredible game. I'm just tired of feeling like a 2nd rate citizen to IMHO a 2nd rate console in the 360. I'm not trying to start a flame war here... that was just my opinion. Anyway, i will not purchase anything from the RBN until it is available in it's entirety on the PS3.
    Well you should whine to Sony as it is their own fault that HMX is treating the PS3 as they do. Microsoft has helped HMX from the get-go and the XNA really helps them a lot. I find it funny that the whole ps3 crowd hasnt figured out that Sony has crapped all over them by not helping developers in the same way that Microsoft does before now.
    edited July 2009
    libregkd;2740341 said:
    Did you not read what I typed? It is possible on the PS3, the only problem is that HMX would have to make the system themselves instead of working off soemthing like XNA.

I'm not too worried though, I'm sure Sony is gonna help them get this working on the PS3 in no time. It would provide a nice boost to both their Gaming and Music divisions.
    You seem to be assuming that Harmonix has been given free reign to modify the Playstation store and create firmware updates for the PS3.

Since you don't seem to be looking at the link I posted, I'll post it here.
    hmxsean;2731150 said:
    Whoa. Hold back a little. That has nothing to do with anything like that. This was a massive undertaking requiring significant infrastructure to support both on our side and at the console level. XNA is an existing infrastructure that could actually make this a reality. It has nothing to do with what you're saying. As I said we have been talking to everybody for some time about making this happen. And we will continue to do so. We want this music to be available for everyone.
    edited July 2009
    verdige;2740346 said:
    Well you should whine to Sony as it is their own fault that HMX is treating the PS3 as they do. Microsoft has helped HMX from the get-go and the XNA really helps them a lot. I find it funny that the whole ps3 crowd hasnt figured out that Sony has crapped all over them by not helping developers in the same way that Microsoft does before now.
    Sony not helping developers? Ha. They do help them, hell they have helped more Indie Devs with their E-Initiative program than Microsoft has. The only problem here is that Sony doesn't have something like XNA...which was intended to help out small devs/the community make games, not some big devs like HMX.

That is not to say that XNA cannot be used effectively by bigger devs as HMX has shown with the RBN. Sony is all for user generated content/Indie made games. All they really need to do is come up with something similar to XNA...and with this announcement, I wouldn't be surprised if HMX becomes one of the first devs to use it.
  • sh4d0wscr34msh4d0wscr34m Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I love how PS3 threads generate conversation but if this was a Wii thread it'd be nothing but flames.

Wii gets treated worse than both PS3 and 360, yet everybody flames them for complaining while PS3 complaints generate discussion.
  • edited July 2009
    Okay, here's the reason...

Xbox has a system setup to accommodate uploading of game files. PS3 does not.

Harmonix can't develop for something that doesn't exist. There is nothing HMX can do until Sony give us a way of uploading content (and this is ME saying this, sa_nick the PS3 fanboy)

I assume it's the same for Wii. It has nothing to do with who deserves it, everyone deserves it! it's just that it's impossible to give the feature to non xboxers.
This discussion has been closed.