Hey, HMX! RBN q&a: Promoting RBN's cream of the crop....?

cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Was wondering if the HMX developers and/or MTV Games have any plans for further promoting the RBN bands that become the most popular....?

Examples:

*Having a "Featured Artist of the Week" section on the RBN page
*Listing the top RBN downloads per week/month or whatever, on rockband.com
*Interviews in the 'Zine with some of the most popular bands
*featuring an "RBN Breakout Artist of the Year" award at the VMAs; letting fans choose the best from, say, 5 nominees
*pressing "Best of RBN" compilation CDs for people to listen to on the go
*having a weekly RBN showcase feature on one of the MTV networks (say, MTV2)
*RBN Radio! :)
*helping the best unsigned RBN bands get a label
*along the same lines: how about an RBN record label?

I know some of those are easier said than done, but I was just wondering if HMX/MTV have plans to further help the best bands that come up through the Network....

I'm still awestruck at the RBN announcement, guys. Really, this has become far more than just a video game; with RBN, you've become an integral part of the music industry, and this *will* be a launching pad for The Next Big Thing.

Thank you for giving so many bands that helping hand they've all been needing.

Comments

• Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited July 2009
    did you watch that video on the RBN site of them going through the menus of songs and genre available? I love that they have the broad genres; Rock, Metal, Country etc. and then all the more specific sub-genres under their appropriate umbrella genre label.

I also noticed they had an "Urban" genre listed that apparently had over 300 songs in it.
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I can really see the 'RBN Featured Artist' on MTV happening. That would be really cool, seeing the most popular RBN artists on MTV, and I would hope, fairly easy to do.
  • FarCry2112FarCry2112 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    That would be awesome, I just hope it doesn't get to cluttered by people who don't know what their doing and we buy something that is stupid. We won't be able to see the charts so who know's what it will look like. Similiar to the music studio was just putting out crap keyboard solos and stuff. But I still can't wait!!!
  • edited July 2009
    If you check out the "promote" link on creators.rockband.com it says:

"we’ll help you tell the world about it! Stay tuned for more information."

So it seems like theyre already thinking along those lines.
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2740552 said:
    Was wondering if the HMX developers and/or MTV Games have any plans for further promoting the RBN bands that become the most popular....?

Examples:

*Having a "Featured Artist of the Week" section on the RBN page
    *Listing the top RBN downloads per week/month or whatever, on rockband.com
    *Interviews in the 'Zine with some of the most popular bands
    *featuring an "RBN Breakout Artist of the Year" award at the VMAs; letting fans choose the best from, say, 5 nominees
    *pressing "Best of RBN" compilation CDs for people to listen to on the go
    *having a weekly RBN showcase feature on one of the MTV networks (say, MTV2)
    *RBN Radio! :)
    *helping the best unsigned RBN bands get a label
    *along the same lines: how about an RBN record label?

I know some of those are easier said than done, but I was just wondering if HMX/MTV have plans to further help the best bands that come up through the Network....

I'm still awestruck at the RBN announcement, guys. Really, this has become far more than just a video game; with RBN, you've become an integral part of the music industry, and this *will* be a launching pad for The Next Big Thing.

Thank you for giving so many bands that helping hand they've all been needing.
    Heh, I don't doubt that HMX might want to do this, but they've yet to even release the closed beta! All in good time I suppose.
    Oscar-Rio;2740571 said:
    did you watch that video on the RBN site of them going through the menus of songs and genre available? I love that they have the broad genres; Rock, Metal, Country etc. and then all the more specific sub-genres under their appropriate umbrella genre label.

I also noticed they had an "Urban" genre listed that apparently had over 300 songs in it.
    Read this. Most of it was fake, don't get yer hopes up ;)
    Swivle;2740624 said:
    I can really see the 'RBN Featured Artist' on MTV happening. That would be really cool, seeing the most popular RBN artists on MTV, and I would hope, fairly easy to do.
    It may help kickstart their music career. Or they gain cult status among Rock Band users.
    FarCry2112;2740711 said:
    That would be awesome, I just hope it doesn't get to cluttered by people who don't know what their doing and we buy something that is stupid. We won't be able to see the charts so who know's what it will look like. Similiar to the music studio was just putting out crap keyboard solos and stuff. But I still can't wait!!!
    The reviewing process of RBN will catch items like this. If it isn't 'tastefully charted' to put in the words of HMXEnosity, they'll flag it and send it back to the artist(s).
    Apples;2740726 said:

Semi-ninja'd?
    edited July 2009
    I noticed in the promo video that there's a top 10 list right on the main RBN menu.
  • Dave_ThDave_Th Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I'm hoping that HMX remains a game making company. Let MTV do the record/band promo thing and HMX keep making BR better and better.
  • ForgottenHeroForgottenHero Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    FarCry2112;2740711 said:
    But that's just it, this isn't just a music studio.

When GH announced the music studio for their games, a lot of interviews with HMX included a question of whether HMX will do something similar. Their answer was always that they want to do something so people can get their music in the game, but they want to do it right.

Plus, you have to pay for the program to chart the songs, so who's going to buy the program and then just put up crap? Everyone who bought GH:WT had the music studio, hence the junk that got put up on it.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Add to the fact it's not easy to do. The long list of lighting queues and detailed animation cues are just a couple examples of ways the process can become complicated.
    edited July 2009
    Dave_Th;2740792 said:
    I'm hoping that HMX remains a game making company. Let MTV do the record/band promo thing and HMX keep making BR better and better.
    HMX has always been a company about bringing music to people through video games. This is probably the greatest expansion of that concept since they came up with Guitar Hero. I don't think they're changing directions at all, they're just making more advances.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2740726 said:

Sounds good. :)
    And thanks to Avatar_ko for the heads up about the "Top 10" showing up in early screens....

I think promoting these bands is going to be one of the key reasons that RBN will totally revolutionize the process by which new bands get exposure. This bypasses soooo much of the old bureaucratic system of managers and promoters and A&R and record labels and scrounging for gigs in sewer holes, etc......cutting out so many middle men here. :)
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Cream of RBN 2009 Track Pack drops january 2010 ;)
  • taylorleetaylorlee Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Asking Harmonix for a Q&A is like going to a submerged Coney Island and trying to speak to the Blue Fairy.

Only when aliens take over friend.

On topic, as the other posters mentioned, there appear to be the options you seek.
  • edited July 2009
    We're planning to promote RBN songs in many different ways. Both popular and HMX favorites will be easy to keep track of...
    edited July 2009
    Knucklesdude;2740810 said:
    Add to the fact it's not easy to do. The long list of lighting queues and detailed animation cues are just a couple examples of ways the process can become complicated.
    FYI, just saw in another thread, the lighting and animations can be taken care of automatically if you don't want to learn the system.
  • ForgottenHeroForgottenHero Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2745110 said:
    We're planning to promote RBN songs in many different ways. Both popular and HMX favorites will be easy to keep track of...
    Saaaaa-weet.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    RBN Radio would be a genius idea
  • BSRavenBSRaven Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    RBN is a good idea. As are most of these posts.

But, I feel a bit sorry for PS3 users (inb4 vedicardi) getting mostly shafted. I know it's mostly Sony's fault (Why can't we PS3 owners have nice things too?), but still, you have to feel sorry for us/them.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    BSRaven;2746439 said:
    RBN is a good idea. As are most of these posts.

But, I feel a bit sorry for PS3 users (inb4 vedicardi) getting mostly shafted. I know it's mostly Sony's fault (Why can't we PS3 owners have nice things too?), but still, you have to feel sorry for us/them.
    As I've said in several other posts, I'm sure that Sony is working their little tails off to make the PS3 play nice with RBN in the immediate future. Remember, one of Sony's biggest sources of income is their record label (they're one of the Big Four), so there's no way they're going to sit this out and let Microsoft take all the glory.