Question regarding RBN and XNA membership

NX013NX013 Road Warrior
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
First off I am very excited to have RBN available since it gives the three bands I am involved in a chance to gain publicity. However, one thing about this slightly confuses me. I understand that the artists/labels need to create the RB tracks as HMX would do to create DLC tracks, but do we need to get an XNA membership to be able to allow the songs on the RBN. At this point I'm not entirley sure what it is exactly used for, or if we will need it, the only reason I'm asking is I don';t have 100 dollars per month and the bands I'm involved in are tight on money atm. Granted, RBN will give the bands a larger fanbase and some money, but I'm just curious about XNA in the RBA

Comments

• KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    When the charting teams are more established (as they will hopefully grow), you could hand over your music to them. And for free or minimal cost, they could decide to take your music on as a project.

Besides that you're out of luck. But it's 100 dollars per year, not per month.
  • JBurtonJBurton Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    You have to have an XNA membership so that you can;

- Download the tools used to make the music, charts, and 'Mix to RB Standards'
    - Be able to upload it to the servers for Microsoft (because the XNA server and the Marketplace ones are different. Get what I'm saying?)
    - Receive payment of your sales

Basically you are paying 99 to open your own store (RBN). You build your product in the back (your PC,) and when its done you set it on the front counter. You don't have to be approved by your boss (Microsoft.) And by the way, its 99$ a year, not month.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    ok thanks, I do have a few more questions though, (and I must have misread the pricing for XNA membership)

1. For one of my bands the instrumentation is bass, piano, drums and vocals. Their is no guitar, so obviously the piano will be charted as guitar, will there be a way to put in the guitar track as something other than gutiar in the game?

2. SInce RB: Beatles has three vocals allowed, will that be featured in the RBN?

3. Finally, will there be a chance of more than 4 tracks allowed? Like two guiutar tracks, or an extra chart for the keys? (if the instrumentation is guitar, bass, vocals, drums and keys)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    NX013;2741664 said:
    1. For one of my bands the instrumentation is bass, piano, drums and vocals. Their is no guitar, so obviously the piano will be charted as guitar, will there be a way to put in the guitar track as something other than gutiar in the game?
    Either you author the piano to the "guitar" note chart, or you put it in as as background track and leave guitar as "No Part".
    NX013;2741664 said:
    2. SInce RB: Beatles has three vocals allowed, will that be featured in the RBN?
    No, this is running on the RB2 engine, not the Beatles engine.
    NX013;2741664 said:
    3. Finally, will there be a chance of more than 4 tracks allowed? Like two guiutar tracks, or an extra chart for the keys? (if the instrumentation is guitar, bass, vocals, drums and keys)
    No. As stated above, this is running on the RB2 engine, which supports only 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drums, 1 vocals. Though I suppose if you really wanted to, you could author a 2nd (rhythm) guitar to the "bass" and then just have no bass chart.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    JBurton;2741065 said:
    You have to have an XNA membership so that you can;

- Download the tools used to make the music, charts, and 'Mix to RB Standards'
    - Be able to upload it to the servers for Microsoft (because the XNA server and the Marketplace ones are different. Get what I'm saying?)
    - Receive payment of your sales

Basically you are paying 99 to open your own store (RBN). You build your product in the back (your PC,) and when its done you set it on the front counter. You don't have to be approved by your boss (Microsoft.) And by the way, its 99$ a year, not month.
    u need XNA to download magma? I thought it was just to actually upload the songs and play them on your 360 (as that is what an XNA membership does).

I have a trial membership with XNA. Does anyone know if I can use audition mode with it (a trial membership allows one to play homemade games on the 360 but not actually upload them)?
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    DanB91;2741814 said:
    u need XNA to download magma? I thought it was just to actually upload the songs and play them on your 360 (as that is what an XNA membership does).

I have a trial membership with XNA. Does anyone know if I can use audition mode with it (a trial membership allows one to play homemade games on the 360 but not actually upload them)?
    You need premium to transfer your songs over to the Xbox 360. Transferring is done via a home network connection between your computer and your Xbox 360.

Edit: http://creators.xna.com/en-US/membership
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Knucklesdude;2741845 said:
    You need premium to transfer your songs over to the Xbox 360. Transferring is done via a home network connection between your computer and your Xbox 360.

Edit: http://creators.xna.com/en-US/membership
    Yes I know. But the trial version allows me to play 360 that I create on the computer on my 360, but it doesnt allow me to submit it to MS, which leads me to believe that you will be able to use audition mode with a trial membership.

Again my other question, where does it say that I need a premium membership to download magma?
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    If you don't want to pay the 100 bucks a year, try here, they'll chart it for you and you don't need the XNA or anything, and they split the profit half and half with you:
    http://www.rhythmauthors.com/index.php