Clearing up a big question about RBN

BartenderjoeBartenderjoe Rising Star
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
i recently contacted Rythm Artists LLC ( a new charting company trained by harmonix, there website
about the whole US resident limitation and got this response:
"Hi [My Name],

Your concern has been a very commonly voiced one throughout the communities thus far. I can say with 100% certainty that you only have to be a US resident to upload content for review into the Rock Band Network. Any artist is able to partake, regardless of where the artist is actually located, as long as they can find someone to help submit it (which is where we come along).

Hopefully that answers your question :)

Best regards,
Sean Feica
Director of Development
Rhythm Authors LLC
www.rhythmauthors.com"

and there you have it, amazing win, make sure to send the website link to bands you are contacting.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Also available in the sticky in this forum:
    HMXMister_Game;2741555 said:
    To be specific, to submit a song, you must be a resident of the U.S. Where the band is from has nothing to do with it.

Of course unsigned bands can submit songs! You have to own the rights to the material. Unsigned bands will probably have to do less work to make sure their material is in the clear.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Love the title: Mr. "Director of Development" :p

He replied to my e-mail as well, regarding authors joining Rhythm Authors.
    We will indeed be looking to hire people to build upon the Rhythm Authors team, and applications will be opening up in a few weeks time. Keep your eyes peeled to our website to find out what will be required!
  • edited July 2009
    I don't know if I'm a big supporter of the idea of fan site going for-profit like this, especially after years of donation begging. To me it seems like you're taking advantage of the good will and kindness of the many others who made scorehero what it is.

Plus, the service is going to get the most sales/attention right after launch, and their having prior knowledge and access gives them a huge competitive advantage over anyone else.
  • BartenderjoeBartenderjoe Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Harmonix trained them, that's legit enough for me.
    edited July 2009
    Well I did think it a bit odd from the start that bands themselves are the majority targeted audience for the Rock Band Network.

But you do have a good point. Rhythm Authors could easily become a gateway, for bands could get their content in Rock Band through them instead of individual authors or the band themselves.

Harmonix could curb this though- I saw an "author" sorting in the creators.rockband.com video, and Harmonix could spotlight new authors, or bands that author the songs themselves.

Also: if profit is a bigger issue, meaning the band would find it more beneficial to hire an individual author or develop the tracks themselves, this may not become a problem.
  • BartenderjoeBartenderjoe Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Knucklesdude;2744204 said:
    Well I did think it a bit odd from the start that bands themselves are the majority targeted audience for the Rock Band Network.

But you do have a good point. Rhythm Authors could easily become a gateway, for bands could get their content in Rock Band through them instead of individual authors or the band themselves.

Harmonix could curb this though- I saw an "author" sorting in the creators.rockband.com video, and Harmonix could spotlight new authors, or bands that author the songs themselves.

Also: if profit is a bigger issue, meaning the band would find it more beneficial to hire an individual author or develop the tracks themselves, this may not become a problem.

I think a main thing about hiring a company or like this or an individual developer is if they have been trained by HMX then their charts are likely to be better, and it is a gateway for foreign bands to get into rockband ( as they cant do it themselves).
  • Nickalos NNickalos N Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Bartenderjoe;2744190 said:
    Agreed
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2744174 said:
    I don't know if I'm a big supporter of the idea of fan site going for-profit like this, especially after years of donation begging. To me it seems like you're taking advantage of the good will and kindness of the many others who made scorehero what it is.

Plus, the service is going to get the most sales/attention right after launch, and their having prior knowledge and access gives them a huge competitive advantage over anyone else.
    Finally someone said it. It makes no sense to me that a single company is months ahead of the competition, has access to information even Harmonix hasn't disclosed yet (or hadn't disclosed at some point) and can *guarantee* a song to be approved when we don't even know how exactly the peer review system will work. I understand that this edge was given to them by Harmonix, but it makes even less sense to me.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    I think it's great because obviously these guys are going the best at this. Why wouldn't we want them doing as much of the charting as possible?

It'd be like a second set of official DLC
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Bartenderjoe;2744190 said:
    I'd like to see an *official* statement from the HMX devs that this is the case. Frankly, I don't trust this "Rhythm Authors LLC" yet, either --- there's a damn good chance that this is just some forum fanboys who are looking to get rich quick off a bunch of unsuspecting bands who don't know any better.

What kind of "training" did HMX give? Was this "training" anything more than these guys showing up at an hour-long HMX seminar at E3 one day, or what?

Seriously, if HMX gave these guys some actual *training* in charting and the rest of the software, let Sean or Henry or somebody rubber-stamp it. Otherwise, I think HMX needs to tell Rhythm Authors LLC to take their company name off their website for false advertising.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2744786 said:
    I'd like to see an *official* statement from the HMX devs that this is the case. Frankly, I don't trust this "Rhythm Authors LLC" yet, either --- there's a damn good chance that this is just some forum fanboys who are looking to get rich quick off a bunch of unsuspecting bands who don't know any better.
    Get rick quick? How exactly are they supposed to do that when they are charging NO up-front fees or costs? They share the profits of the DLC sales. Which means if they submit crappy charts that nobody buys, they make no money either.

There's no get rich quick scam going on here.
    edited July 2009
    Mr. Tate;2744586 said:
    Finally someone said it. It makes no sense to me that a single company is months ahead of the competition, has access to information even Harmonix hasn't disclosed yet (or hadn't disclosed at some point) and can *guarantee* a song to be approved when we don't even know how exactly the peer review system will work. I understand that this edge was given to them by Harmonix, but it makes even less sense to me.
    This is quite what I was thinking yesterday. If they had found out about the initiative at the same time we did, ScoreHero would have most likely still created a company, but they would not be (literally) months ahead of competition.
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2744889 said:
    Get rick quick? How exactly are they supposed to do that when they are charging NO up-front fees or costs? They share the profits of the DLC sales. Which means if they submit crappy charts that nobody buys, they make no money either.

There's no get rich quick scam going on here.
    A lot of lawyers, talent agents, producers, promoters, etc. don't charge up-front fees either, but they can sure as hell get rich off the commission and take the lion's share of their clients' profits.

Maybe these guys are on the up and up, and maybe they ain't....that remains to be seen as to how much money they (and the bands, for that matter) can make on RBN.

My main concern is the fact that their website makes it sound like they're officially endorsed by HMX, that HMX has professionally trained them, and any ground-floor band is going to believe that, no questions asked. But HMX hasn't officially endorsed anybody, and I seriously doubt that they hand-picked certain people to teach Black-Belt Charting Fu.

If these guys are legit, more power to them. But if they've got HMX's blessing, there needs to be proof right there on the front page. Otherwise, it's false advertising, plain and simple.
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I am not sure I agree with the majority of sentiments of opinions on Rhythm Authors LLC. What I mean by that is they are doing a service for artists in and outside of the states and they already have prior knowledge of charting. Does it really matter if they start this company now or later? Also to echo what David Shek is saying, if you give them your tunes and you don't sell any they make no money regardless. You are not giving them money up front and some people (myself included) don't mind if they do all the leg work and share in the profits of any money you would potentially make. It's like any company doing a service, should they being do this for free for artists? Would you? If you feel this strongly about it you can always wait to see what the competition is charging anyway.
    (I am in no way affiliated or do I know anyone inside the company)
    edited July 2009
    TheLovelyNoise;2744925 said:
    I am not sure I agree with the majority of sentiments of opinions on Rhythm Authors LLC. What I mean by that is they are doing a service for artists in and outside of the states and they already have prior knowledge of charting. Does it really matter if they start this company now or later? Also to echo what David Shek is saying, if you give them your tunes and you don't sell any they make no money regardless. You are not giving them money up front and some people (myself included) don't mind if they do all the leg work and share in the profits of any money you would potentially make. It's like any company doing a service, should they being do this for free for artists? Would you? If you feel this strongly about it you can always wait to see what the competition is charging anyway.
    (I am in no way affiliated or do I know anyone inside the company)

It's one of the oldest rules about doing business: caveat emptor.

I'll wait and see how easy or difficult the whole charting process is in the long run ---- hell, everybody and his brother can make a Frets On Fire amateur hour chart easy enough -- and whether or not you're just throwing money away by letting ANY company charge you for something you might be able to do yourself, free and easy.

Also, as more of these third-party chartmeisters come out of the woodwork, bands would be wise to wait and see which ones develop a proven track record.
  • TheLovelyNoiseTheLovelyNoise Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2744955 said:
    It's one of the oldest rules about doing business: caveat emptor.

I'll wait and see how easy or difficult the whole charting process is in the long run ---- hell, everybody and his brother can make a Frets On Fire amateur hour chart easy enough -- and whether or not you're just throwing money away by letting ANY company charge you for something you might be able to do yourself, free and easy.

Also, as more of these third-party chartmeisters come out of the woodwork, bands would be wise to wait and see which ones develop a proven track record.
    I agree totally with your last statement but I also can't do the charts myself because I live in Canada and there are a lot of others in the same boat...just a waiting game I guess.
    Edit: I just don't see the point in bashing a company before they've even had a chance
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2744955 said:

Then please feel free to do it yourself, you don't have to put your trust in Rhythm Authors if you don't want to.

Their profits are split with yours, that's how they get paid. Yes there are foreseeable problems with this, but let's wait for the events to unfold before making any wide judgments.
    edited July 2009
    obviously Harmonix trusts Rhythm Authors enough to have them involved since the beginning

they have Harmonix training

what else do you want?
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2745002 said:
    obviously Harmonix trusts Rhythm Authors enough to have them involved since the beginning

they have Harmonix training

what else do you want?
    Uh....how about PROOF? :rolleyes:

Right now, you (and any prospective client out there) are taking Rhythm Authors' word for it that they're somehow "intimately" involved with HMX. Shenanigans.

Pix, or it didn't happen.
  • edited July 2009
    From Rhythm Authors website: "Starting out as hobbyists in ScoreHero’s software forums, much of what Rhythm Authors now offers as a service we've already been doing for over 2 years on our own. In addition to that, our primary authors have recently attended a master class hosted by Harmonix, and we are fully committed to upholding the game developer's top quality standards for every project that we accept."

This is true. They did attend an authoring class at HMX.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2745248 said:
    From Rhythm Authors website: "Starting out as hobbyists in ScoreHero’s software forums, much of what Rhythm Authors now offers as a service we've already been doing for over 2 years on our own. In addition to that, our primary authors have recently attended a master class hosted by Harmonix, and we are fully committed to upholding the game developer's top quality standards for every project that we accept."

Any chance of that authoring class being offered again? :D
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2745248 said:

Okay, see, that's something official.

But who else attended these authoring classes, and were the guys at RA invited, or was this open to the public?

And, like David asked, when can the rest of us get a chance to attend these classes?
    edited July 2009
    the RA guys were invited
  • dman7529dman7529 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    While I have not met the individuals who make up Rhythm Authors, I have come to call them peers. From the days watching them play GH2 on youtube, through the GH2 custom scene, and now on to Rock Band, these guys, as well as others, have been at the forefront of this plastic instrument scene.
    As the FAQ states, they do have a few years experience each within the custom scene, and if you need some proof, go checkout the GH2 custom preview videos they have up on customhero.net. I tried my hand at some GH2 customs, and it is an arduous process, but well worth it. If these guys are offering to do it for a band, either for a one time fee, or portion of the royalties, I say good for them. That leaves the band time to concentrate on making more music or whatever, without having to learn MIDI formats and stuff. Harmonix has trusted these guys in the past with RB1/RB2/GH2 news and stuff, so giving them a slight edge might be just one more perk in that relationship. And really, the only thing I can see this slight edge being, is how certain charters will handle certain situations in a song, or how they might translate sheet music for certains sections.
    And if you really want to get some more insight into the process, go over to the RB and GH Software forums on Scorehero. IIRC, there is MIDI formats and other things available to read up on for RB1/RB2 and GH1/GH2. I can't see Harmonix completely revising their file formats just for RBN.

@ Apples: I don't really see that JCirri has been begging for donations. Server upgrades are necessary, and he obviously couldn't do it by himself. The fact that Scorehero has been offering this service for the past 3+ years, free to its users is great. And if Alex Rigopulos can donate for the cause, then so can I. Obviously, it is not required, since over half of the users over there, have not donated anything, which as I said is a good thing. And even though they will be offering some marketing and stuff on Scorehero, there is still a seperation between the business and the hobby.
  • Time_BalmTime_Balm Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I suspect that everyone invited to participate in the closed beta also got invited to attend the authoring class. This seems like a logical (even necessary) step for Harmonix to work with people that they have reason to believe will be familiar with the concepts and dedicated to the project during development stages. However, this does give those participating in the closed beta (e.g. RhythmAuthors) a substantial leg up on the competition. Obviously the earliest companies in will have a head start on establishing a track record for getting songs into the store, which leaves newcomers facing a catch-22 of sorts.

As were some others, I was very taken aback by RhythmAuthors guarantee about songs they author passing review (although I think though if you read it carefully it only promises that they will meet all the requirements to pass). Harmonix will need to be watchful that the review process does not become compromised by certain factions looking out for their own.

As this progresses into open beta, I'm sure more authoring classes will be offered, and I suspect that Harmonix will offer some kind of certification for individuals that have completed the Harmonix training. I'm very excited to see how this niche of the music business develops and plan to be a part of it to whatever extent possible.
  • Rampaging_WangRampaging_Wang Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Rhythm Authors are my light in the dark. I am from the UK, so first of all it is good to have an American organisation in which to help.

Secondly, it is going to save me a hell of a lot of money. I do not need to buy Raptor or join XNA. This saves me literally over £100 worth of fees.

Thirdly, it will save me a lot of time. I submit my songs to them, and boom. My involvement is over. I do not need to take time fine tuning, or animating, or anything. It will all be done for me, for the small price of free.

I do not want to be on Rock Band to make money. I want it for the exposure, and the fact I can get this exposure through one email and a little bit of waiting is incredible.
  • dman7529dman7529 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I do not think there will need to be an oversight committee from Harmonix, making sure there is not a monopolization of the review process. Phr34k has said on a number of occasions, including the website, that the goal is to foster the RBN community, not to monopolize it. If the RBN community develops like the Scorehero custom community, then there will be nothing but good times in store for all.

My concern however, is that the review process itself may be limited in what it can accomplish. Will individual instrument and difficulties be reviewable, and will that have an impact on the final judgement? I would hope that if a song got charted poorly on all but Expert, that it would fail the process, and requested to be workd on more.

I know we live in a skeptical world these days, but I still believe we have to give people the benefit of the doubt. Harmonix believes these guys are the best fit to nurture the RBN community, so until they screw up, lets see what they can do. I believe during the public beta, when they can start releasing videos and tutorials on the creator website, that we will start to see the RA guys helping the rest of to better understand things.