Using a band's masters for RBN.

invadermbinvadermb Unsigned
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I'm totally excited for Rock Band Network, but there was one thing that I had on my mind.

I'm in a weird position here. Uh, my dad was the vocalist in a metal band in the eighties called Cirith Ungol. Now, they had the first three of their four releases on Metal Blade Records: Frost and Fire, King of the Dead and One Foot in Hell. The fourth has changed hands a couple of times between companies, but the album is called Paradise Lost.

What I'm wondering is, if we had the master tracks to the songs from the albums in our possession, could we just do whatever we wanted with them, including charting and releasing them onto Rock Band Network? Would we run into some legal troubles? Apparently, my dad knows where the masters might be, and he thought the news of possibly getting his music on Rock Band was intriguing.

Comments

• AgentespioAgentespio Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure your dad needs to talk to that label to get it on the Network - the label still owns the releases, after all.
  • invadermbinvadermb Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Agentespio;2747784 said:
    I'm sure your dad needs to talk to that label to get it on the Network - the label still owns the releases, after all.
    Hopefully, that's all we'll need to do. He was good friends with the president of Metal Blade Records, Brian Slagel, back in the day.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I'm in a predicament because I'm the Pizza guy who stole those master tapes from Gerry Garcia and friends that were later released as this

JK
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    I would be most obliged to see Cirith Ungol in the game. :)

(Yes, I'm old enough to remember them, and I had your dad's first album....enjoyed it immensely. :))

Who owns the rights to Cirith Ungol's music? If your dad does, he can absolutely do what he wants with it, and RBN would be a great way he could take the do-it-yourself method of getting his songs into RB. If the other band members or the label or someone else has the rights, then yes, obviously he'd need to get their approval.
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited July 2009
    Yea man, if you have the master tracks congrats! But if the label still owns the rights to the songs/album, its safer to go talk to them to check if it's ok to release them.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    i don't know what contracts your father's band signed, but please tell him that if at all possible please release material from their first albums!

king of the dead and frost and fire are both metal classics!
  • AgentespioAgentespio Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Kind of off-topic, but its so cool to see all of these bands express interest in Rock Band Network. I really, truly hope this takes off!
    edited July 2009
    Totally. He actually talked about getting the masters back, after I showed him the website for Rhythm Authors, those guys who'll chart the songs for you. He wasn't concerned about the money part of the deal, he just thought it'd be nice to see the songs on Rock Band. He knows how much I love to play it.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    invadermb;2747835 said:
    Totally. He actually talked about getting the masters back, after I showed him the website for Rhythm Authors, those guys who'll chart the songs for you. He wasn't concerned about the money part of the deal, he just thought it'd be nice to see the songs on Rock Band. He knows how much I love to play it.
    your old man deserves a high five and a half, dude.
  • oogaboohaoogabooha Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I would love me some Cirith Ungol, give your dad a hi-5 and we should make a petition.
    edited July 2009
    One question: did your dad ever tell you why they named themselves after a place in Middle Earth, but used Elric album covers? :p

As a teenager who was addicted to first-run Dungeons and Dragons back in the early 80s, it was the band name and album cover that had me hooked from the start. :)
    edited July 2009
    Ask your dad what he used on his voice, man, that was epic :D

King of The Dead pl0x
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    My dad is a pretty BA dad, but he wasn't in a metal band. Now I am jealous!
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2747889 said:
    One question: did your dad ever tell you why they named themselves after a place in Middle Earth, but used Elric album covers? :p

As a teenager who was addicted to first-run Dungeons and Dragons back in the early 80s, it was the band name and album cover that had me hooked from the start. :)
    Well, actually, he wasn't an original member of the band. He was a roadie first, along with his brother (who is my uncle). Ungol's vocalist when he was a Roadie was Neal Beattie. After he left, my dad auditioned, and got the part of vocalist. Of course, he sang on all four of the official releases, but there are some bootlegs (that we own. :P) where other members of the band are singing.

I'd assumed if you'd want to know the answer to your question though, Greg Lindstrom, the original bassist, would know. He's actually in another band right now who I contacted about RBN, "Falcon".
    edited July 2009
    invadermb;2747917 said:
    Well, actually, he wasn't an original member of the band. He was a roadie first, along with his brother (who is my uncle). Ungol's vocalist when he was a Roadie was Neal Beattie. After he left, my dad auditioned, and got the part of vocalist. Of course, he sang on all four of the official releases, but there are some bootlegs (that we own. :P) where other members of the band are singing.

I'd assumed if you'd want to know the answer to your question though, Greg Lindstrom, the original bassist, would know. He's actually in another band right now who I contacted about RBN, "Falcon".
    That would be great to get Cirith Ungol *and* Falcon in the game. Tell your dad and Greg both that they'd be hugely popular in Rock Band.
    edited July 2009
    Cirith Ungol would be my next favorite DLC next to Iron Maiden, they would be excellent on vocals, and I would get them instantly.

They are my 3rd favorite band :) (IMO they are better than Preist)
    edited July 2009
    oogabooha;2747956 said:
    Cirith Ungol would be my next favorite DLC next to Iron Maiden, they would be excellent on vocals, and I would get them instantly.

They are my 3rd favorite band :) (IMO they are better than Preist)
    Coincidentally, dad and I are going to go see Judas Priest in about a week. We're also going to Heaven and Hell (for the third time), The Killers and Chickenfoot. We're a concert-going family. :3
    edited July 2009
    Sweet, wish my dad was that enthusiastic.

Reminds me, gotta update my sig :) I'll make some room.
  • woodwindpizzawoodwindpizza Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I will *INSTANTLY* buy all songs by Cirith Ungol and Falcon if they make it to the RBN Store. Please encourage your father and uncle to help get the masters in order to make this happen! We are all very enthusiastic and love the bands! :D
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Getting Cirith Ungol in this game would be absolutely fantastic, your dad has a fantastic voice and he deserves many a high five for supporting this.