Will RBN mark the end of the 100% DLC'ers?

tehsamtehsam Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
We are bound to (eventually) see a great increase in the rate of DLC flowing into the store with the release of RBN. It seems unlikely to me that the majority of current 100%'ers will be able to keep up with (or afford?) all the new DLC.

Obviously there will be some that can keep up, and any indie-type artists will probably be unlikely to demand 2 bucks a song, but still, if they are able to release whole albums at a time...

Discuss.

Comments

• thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I agree, but as I've mentioned before I think harddrive space will become an issue for some even before budget does.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    I would say the 100% Downloaders will continue with the non RBN songs... the ones HMX releases.

There is going to be such a huge influx of crappy no-name bands I am worried... but, there are also going to be those awsome bands that no one has heard of before. I am looking forward to RBN but I am a little scared too.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Im still going to buy all the HMX DLC.

And browse through the RBN for odd ball stuff.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited July 2009
    I'm just more worried that this is a 100% chance of having even less DLC in common to play with others.

It is hard enough finding groups with similar DLC as is...
  • RetroMonsterRetroMonster Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I think that evntually we will get 100% but who knows...
    edited July 2009
    folkeye;2751512 said:
    I'm just more worried that this is a 100% chance of having even less DLC in common to play with others.

It is hard enough finding groups with similar DLC as is...
    I'm just hoping that part of the 2.2 patch is improved matchmaking based on DLC.
  • edited July 2009
    RBN WILL NOT take away from our weekly DLC output.
    They are completely separate. Just think, now you get the 9 or 10 (on average) songs every week plus more from RBN every day!
  • RetroMonsterRetroMonster Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2751559 said:
    They are completely separate. Just think, now you get the 9 or 10 (on average) songs every week plus more from RBN every day!
    True Dat. Words from a special person. I just had to say that.
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2751559 said:
    I think he was asking whether us DLC whores will continue to get everything, including all the RBN has to offer. I think some of us will. Unless I go jobless for the next few years, I don't see a reason to stop. Music is music, and if it doesn't violate my ears to a great extent, I could see it as a potential addition to my collection.
  • WhizKidRavenWhizKidRaven Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2751559 said:
    Best announcement evah!

No, but really. The thing that I feared the most is that, as soon as RBN hit, we'd go back to 3 "official" DLC tracks a week and then the flood of homebrew songs would make up the rest of it.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2751559 said:
    Cool! Thanks for that info....I wasn't sure if RBN would have a regular weekly release date like RB DLC....so does that mean RBN will be open to new uploads/downloads 24/7?
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2751616 said:
    Cool! Thanks for that info....I wasn't sure if RBN would have a regular weekly release date like RB DLC....so does that mean RBN will be open to new uploads/downloads 24/7?
    Content's supposed to go live as soon as it's approved. They're anticipating enough to show up eventually to have new stuff come out every day.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2751658 said:
    Content's supposed to go live as soon as it's approved. They're anticipating enough to show up eventually to have new stuff come out every day.
    Veddy nice.
    I've got a feeling it *might* start out with slow input, but after about six months, RBN could very well be swamped with submissions. Maybe sooner than that.
    edited July 2009
    I know I don't buy everything, I'm pretty picky with what goes on my system... maybe there will be something now and then. Variety isn't the issue,the fear of less in commin out there is tip-top in my brain.
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I doubt that the addition of the RBN will decrease the liklihood that you will share similar DLC, though. With HMX still cranking out the more well known bands/bigger hits, those will still get plenty of purchases and you could share those in common. The obscure RBN songs, however, will have a very likely chance that you won't share those in common.

And like most would say, if you really want to play a particular song that badly, either convince your bandmates to download that particular song or play it locally...
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2751678 said:
    Veddy nice.
    I've got a feeling it *might* start out with slow input, but after about six months, RBN could very well be swamped with submissions. Maybe sooner than that.
    Yeah, I don't think it'll have a problem with content submissions, but rather having enough authors available to chart everything that's being submitted being the limiting factor. At least early on when there aren't several companies or a large enough one devoted to it.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    aggiesrul8;2751694 said:
    I doubt that the addition of the RBN will decrease the liklihood that you will share similar DLC, though.
    I have 20 of the top 25 best selling DLC songs EVER. And I still rarely share DLC.
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    T-Hybrid;2751707 said:
    I have 20 of the top 25 best selling DLC songs EVER. And I still rarely share DLC.
    That's the point. Most fail to realize on this forum that not everybody is going to have DLC. There is already a pretty low chance that you and Mr. Anonymous from Helena, WY will share DLC. The addition of the RBN will still make it just as unlikely that you will find someone with similar DLC...
    edited July 2009
    All in all I guess it won't matter. I have a PS3. So we'll only be seeing selective songs from what I'm seeing (if I'm reading it right).
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Sayburr;2751100 said:
    I would say the 100% Downloaders will continue with the non RBN songs... the ones HMX releases.

There is going to be such a huge influx of crappy no-name bands I am worried... but, there are also going to be those awsome bands that no one has heard of before. I am looking forward to RBN but I am a little scared too.
    Same with me. I still plan to buy the HMX charted releases. I will buy some RBN stuff that I really like though when need be.

I just hope ScoreHero keeps the RBN songs out of the HMX DLC section on their score managing page.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2751678 said:
    Veddy nice.
    Yeah I'm thinking that for the first few months, some bands are going to be forced to spread their DLC out if they submitted like four or five songs at once
    edited July 2009
    aggiesrul8;2751694 said:
    I doubt that the addition of the RBN will decrease the liklihood that you will share similar DLC, though
    Just simple math alone says that it will indeed make it less likely to have DLC in common with someone else the more and more DLC that is available.
  • cweaver8518cweaver8518 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Actually, it could make it more common to share DLC with someone. I imagine some bands will use RBN to post some free songs. And we all know how popular the free songs are. Of course these bands would have to be hoping the free songs are just to get you hooked on their music, then you buy stuff from them...
    edited July 2009
    cweaver8518;2752303 said:
    Actually, it could make it more common to share DLC with someone. I imagine some bands will use RBN to post some free songs.
    Can't post free songs in it. And, they're less popular than you think, I run into all kinds of random players that don't have them.
  • cutmaclasscutmaclass Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Eventually. I bet there will be people who try.

I guess you can always go for 100% DLC on the PS3 until RBN makes its way over there....
  • cweaver8518cweaver8518 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    skyttskytt;2752421 said:
    Can't post free songs in it. And, they're less popular than you think, I run into all kinds of random players that don't have them.
    I must have missed that in the announcement. Randoms don't typically have any DLC but if they do, its the free stuff. You should add me as a friend on PSN, you sound pretty grumpy about people not having DLC and I've got about 200 now. I refuse to buy DLC I don't like.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Actually, it could make it more common to share DLC with someone. I imagine some bands will use RBN to post some free songs. And we all know how popular the free songs are. Of course these bands would have to be hoping the free songs are just to get you hooked on their music, then you buy stuff from them...
    As stated by another poster, I don't think "free" is going to be a part of this... unless they have a special promotions section where they give out a free song 1 day a week or something like that (doubtful).

And with that said, more songs cannot possibly make it more likely to share DLC... it's all in the percentages. If you buy 3 songs when only 6 are available you have 50%. If another person does the same, the odds are you will share 25% of your DLC (not accounting for taste, which has some effect, but taste is also very varied). If you continue buying 3 songs but the output goes up to 12 songs, you are only getting 25% of the music. Another person doing the same would only share 6.25% of the DLC with you.

Offering more music is not going to cause people to magically start buying an even higher percentage of the music (assuming "quality" stays the same)...even if they actually are buying more tracks per week...so your odds will always be falling.

Take the same example and extend it to the odds of 4 band members sharing DLC... you'll soon find your odds are about as good as hitting the lottery (literally). In fact, the odds become so bad that I am fairly certain a matchmaking system would not even work... or would require extended wait times that most people would not tolerate.

The fact is, more options is bad for online matchmaking. Find a band to play with and make DLC buying decisions together. Only play with friends locally. Or get used to playing disk music.

I am personally ok with trading the ability to play more songs I like for the ability to play online with faceless bandmates... it sucks, but it is just the way it is.
    edited July 2009
    No it can't...Now stop it. More songs available will NOT make it more likely to share DLC with other individuals.

It states RBN songs are between $0.50 and $3.00 (lol @ 3 dollars...good luck). It does not say there will be any free RBN songs, nor even infer it.
  • GrimmjaGrimmja Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    RealMessiah;2751885 said:
    I just hope ScoreHero keeps the RBN songs out of the HMX DLC section on their score managing page.
    If I'm not mistaken, JCirri has mentioned score tracking for RBN songs authored by Rhythm Authors LLC.
    http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=677
  • rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I'm worried that the same song will be used more than once on RBN on two different charts saying two people can get the same liscensing