Abbey Road B-side available to play as medley

Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
edited July 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
According to WIRED's article here, the Abbey Road B-side will be available to play as a medley track. Woo-hoo!

Harmonix reps said at the demo that the same thing would apply to the downloadable Abbey Road album — the B-side of the album would be a medley track.

Comments

• Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Not sure about individually. We may find that out soon, however. No word on if "Her Majesty" will be part of it, but we'll see...
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I'm wondering if there's a medley inclusion/exclusion option, although that might be too much to ask. You Never Give Me Your Money/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight is strong by itself.
  • UnknownsageUnknownsage Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Kinda like GHM's Mercyful Medley?
    edited July 2009
    Do you mean Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End? You Never Give Me Your Money is several tracks earlier on the album.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Awesome.
    Sun King might be a bit slow.
    edited July 2009
    Rod_Stixx;2752763 said:
    Do you mean Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End? You Never Give Me Your Money is several tracks earlier on the album.
    That's my point. I want to exclude the songs between You Never Give Me Your Money and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight. There's a unity in there, from the fact that there's a minor reprise of You Never Give Me Your Money in Carry That Weight.

EDIT: Also there's a tonal (for lack of a better word) difference from these songs and Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/Bathroom Window
    edited July 2009
    I just noticed something: the whole B-side can't be the medley since Here Comes the Sun is on disc. I imagine they'll start it with You Never Give Me Your Money.
  • LlamaactionLlamaaction Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This is the best thing I've heard since last night! That was pretty good too.
  • ThePenguinThePenguin Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    This makes me so happy! Since Sgt Pepper's can't be unmedleyised (weird word), I don't think the Abbey Road Medley can. But that won't matter to me. I can't play Polythene Pam without yelling 'Such a dirty old man!" before it and scatting the whole guitar solo until "She came in through the bathroom window!" after it. :D
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Harmonix is the coolest game company ever made. I can't imagine anyone else getting so many aspects of this game so very right.
  • leob5622leob5622 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Thou Shalt Not Meddle With The Medley
  • BLARGCOWBLARGCOW Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2753196 said:
    Harmonix is the coolest game company ever made. I can't imagine anyone else getting so many aspects of this game so very right.
    I agree. Even though I was expecting it, I'm glad they got it right.
    edited July 2009
    BLARGCOW;2753296 said:
    I agree. Even though I was expecting it, I'm glad they got it right.
    Yup, exactly it. I knew it made the most sense, I knew it was a great idea, but not many game companies would put through the legwork to make the slightly unusual and difficult awesome stuff happen.

Next time they see those boys from Rockstar swagger into the room, they should tell them we all said they can suck it. At least until they figure out a reason that we all got 30 billion dollars without any way to spend it in GTAIV.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2752864 said:
    I just noticed something: the whole B-side can't be the medley since Here Comes the Sun is on disc. I imagine they'll start it with You Never Give Me Your Money.
    The B-Side Medley contains: "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Sun King", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polytheme Pam", "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window", "Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight", and "The End"

all of which are after "Here Comes The Sun"
  • SkullfireSkullfire Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Reading between lines, it looks like you cannot play the tracks separately. Same as Sgt. Pepper/With a Little Help.

Not that I don't mind although it might mean that the medley won't get played that much with it being 16 mins long.
    edited July 2009
    Maybe less so for some people, but the length won't stop me one damn bit. I'm going to play the medley a ton. I already play it quite a bit on real guitar, though I usually gloss over the solo trade-offs in "The End." Can't wait to sing it, can't wait to drum it - play it, and play it often I will.

I was also expecting that it would end up as a medley, but that's pretty much all about HMX. They care about the music, the details and getting the little things right. Playing it as one would be something that the Beatles and heirs think would make sense, the fans think it makes sense, the HMX gang thinks it makes sense...

I was already pretty impressed with HMX and what they do with the RB franchise, but watching them hit all the little details, and inject the care and passion into this game and the music is really amazing. Well done, HMX. And well done Ringo, Paul, Yoko, Olivia, Dhani, Giles, Apple Corps, and everybody else that is helping to make this thing happen.
  • LoveringLovering Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Skullfire;2753754 said:
    Not that I don't mind although it might mean that the medley won't get played that much with it being 16 mins long.
    Yep, unfortunately at 16 mins I will only be able to completely play it three times per hour.
    edited July 2009
    whofan;2753404 said:
    The B-Side Medley contains: "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Sun King", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polytheme Pam", "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window", "Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight", and "The End"

all of which are after "Here Comes The Sun"
    And Because. Don't forget Because!
  • SkullfireSkullfire Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2754349 said:
    And Because. Don't forget Because!
    'Because' isn't part of the medley. It's a separate track on the b-side, just like 'Here Comes the Sun' (and 'Her Majesty').
  • cutmaclasscutmaclass Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Well, now I'm sure I'm going to close every TBRB session I play with this Medley. It always leaves me on a high, feelin' good.
  • RM-225RM-225 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Personally, I can see Side Two of the album being divided as follows:
    • Here Comes the Sun (already included in the game)
    • Because
    • You Never Give Me Your Money
    • Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
    • Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
    • Her Majesty (I mean how are they going to deal with Wild Honey Pie when they get the White Album?)
    That's how I envision it... :D
    edited July 2009
    Skullfire;2754788 said:
    'Because' isn't part of the medley. It's a separate track on the b-side, just like 'Here Comes the Sun' (and 'Her Majesty').
    That was my point. The convo goes ... ah forget it, I got bigger news for a new post.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited July 2009
    I wonder how these will be sold as DLC. Medley as one big $2 track? Medley for more than $2? Individual tracks separately, but Medley is an album-only bonus? Or maybe the whole album must be purchased as a pack?
  • LlamaactionLlamaaction Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    LuigiHann;2755408 said:
    I wonder how these will be sold as DLC. Medley as one big $2 track? Medley for more than $2? Individual tracks separately, but Medley is an album-only bonus? Or maybe the whole album must be purchased as a pack?
    $5 medley, I'd expect.
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Incredibly excited about this!
    edited July 2009
    I can't imagine it would be quite that much. The amount of money lost by including all the songs on one piece is more than offset by the many, many more people who would gladly pay money for the track but wouldn't necessarily want to buy them all separately.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This is how it should be.
    It is how I expected it to be.

I am glad that my expectations aligned with reality in this case. I can't imagine the medley broken up. It would be too jarring.