What RBN training?

KineticArtistKineticArtist Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Just got off the phone with Jeff Marshall from Harmonix and had quite the conversation with him.

Mainly he wanted to let me know there is some misconception about the "training" that has been touted about on the billboard and other web site articles.

The training was simply a 6 hr session with the people involved with the closed beta to showcase the tools that will be used (Reaper and Magma) so that people in the closed beta could help flesh out and give feed back on the documentation that will be created for any one to access.

HMX will not be providing ANY training to prospective authors... period... This was a one time deal to help them rollout the RBN... All information and tools and documentation will be given to the rest of us via the http://creators.rockband.com website over the next couple weeks.

In August the RBN goes in to Open beta and in September access to the XNA pipe line to the stores will be opened.

Jeff Also stated that the plugins needed for Reaper and the Magma software (compiler and encoder) WILL be free and that users will be directed to get Reaper from the Reaper website and the plugins and Magma from http://creators.rockband.com

To that end we are developing http://www.rockbandcreate.com to help bands, labels and artists get their music published via the RBN similar to what Rhythm Authors LLC is offering.

We hope that there is room for many independents and competition in this huge bit of news from Harmonix.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    Are you the owner of rockbandcreate.com? I just saw that site a little while ago. It's good that there's already some competition out there for song authoring, since there will probably be more bands wanting songs in the game than there are people to chart them. :)
  • Rampaging_WangRampaging_Wang Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    You need to sort out your application forms, some are validated too short. Also, add a 'country' field - i feel most of the people using these services will be from outside the US.
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Always good to clear up some things.
  • KineticArtistKineticArtist Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    we are still in the process of creating Rock Band Create and are still writing content /re writing content /clearing content and setting up forms

the tip on a country field is valuable hadnt thought about alot of business fromoutside the US (just been so much to do this past week)
  • JackBNimbleJackBNimble Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I see Ploy of Oracle has signed with this site.

But they plan on doing a cover of "house of the rising sun" and as far as I know NO bands can do cover songs.
    edited July 2009
    JackBNimble;2754266 said:

But they plan on doing a cover of "house of the rising sun" and as far as I know NO bands can do cover songs.
    yeah we know but House of the Rising Sun is a public domain song and we are hoping that we can get an allowance for it as their version of HotRS is psick

If not they have already expressed interest if we cant get this "cover" thru then swapping it out for another one of their killer songs on their debut CD
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    JackBNimble;2754266 said:

"House of the Rising Sun" is public domain, and has never been copyrighted; that's why The Animals, Yardbirds and a ton of others all did their own versions of it (and bands continue to do so).

And Ploy of Oracle absolutely ROCKS....I checked out their page, and everything is an insta-buy for me (including their version of "House of," which I find to be even BETTER than The Animals'.....YES I SAID IT).

Also, I was kinda suspicious of Rhythm Authors' hype about all this "training" they had.....as I suspected, a short one-day seminar is all that amounted to.

Business is business, and competition is competition. I wish Rhythm Authors the best, and Rockbandcreate the best. I'm sure there'll be plenty more third-party charters to come.
    edited July 2009
    Ok first your making me "blush" with the kind remarks about Ploy of Oracle the quality of their music does rock and "Blush" would be one hell of a song to play in rock band let alone listen to.

As for the training stuff Im only posting what I did because when I called Jeff Marshall he called back to allay any fears I had and to clear up the misconception posted by billboard and other sites about "Masters Training" Dont get me wrong Rhythm Authors has had close ties to HMX for over a year and have been instrumental in bringing out the RBN and all props are due them and Harmonix for the connection with the community. They are (so far) the "standard" by which Rock Band Create and any other independant or individual Rock Band author will have to measure up to and Rhythm Authors has made it very clear they intend to help and provide guidance to any who endeavour to get quality music published for the RB community to play..
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    You should take up an education program for this kind of business. Lots of people are dreaming of learning this.
    edited July 2009
    Oddbrother;2755216 said:
    You should take up an education program for this kind of business. Lots of people are dreaming of learning this.
    not a bad idea I will be adding it to our list of services
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    KA, you lost Wounded Soul to RhythmAuthors!
    edited July 2009
    HeyRiles;2756863 said:
    KA, you lost Wounded Soul to RhythmAuthors!
    I didnt lose anything I never figured Shek would have us do wounded souls stuff I always knew he was going to go thru Rhythm authors but thanks for the confirmation!
  • DavidRSDavidRS Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    While we're speaking of services...

I'm looking to create some music purely for the RBN. Problem is, I live in Australia... which at the moment, is not confirmed to be able to upload or download to and from the RBN. What I was looking at doing is doing all the hard work myself, and using a company as an intermediary to get the songs up there. Would this be something you'd consider offering?
    edited July 2009
    DavidRS;2756894 said:
    While we're speaking of services...

I'm looking to create some music purely for the RBN. Problem is, I live in Australia... which at the moment, is not confirmed to be able to upload or download to and from the RBN. What I was looking at doing is doing all the hard work myself, and using a company as an intermediary to get the songs up there. Would this be something you'd consider offering?
    heck yes! hit our site and send me an email and sign up on our forums
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    KineticArtist;2756871 said:
    I didnt lose anything I never figured Shek would have us do wounded souls stuff I always knew he was going to go thru Rhythm authors but thanks for the confirmation!
    Always? Hell, I didn't even always know we were gonna use RA...at first I thought I was going to do the charting myself. :)
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    KineticArtist;2756924 said:
    heck yes! hit our site and send me an email and sign up on our forums
    Glad to hear someone is planning to offer this service (have been looking for it since I found out the uploading was restricted to the States).

Count me in as another interested party :D
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2756944 said:
    Always? Hell, I didn't even always know we were gonna use RA...at first I thought I was going to do the charting myself. :)
    Like I said I knew you werent going to go with us (had a feeling) never assumed you would be with RBC and thats ok I wish you luck with Rhythm authors but this is soooo off topic anyways

we are writing our author application form(s) right now it will be up in a little bit You will need to be 18 due to labor restrictions and contract obligations
  • edited July 2009
    To clarify any misconceptions - before Beta and before proper, tested documentation, videos, and systems in place we did get some people ready for the program so that our relatively short closed Beta would have a few knowledgeable people in it and we would be able to quickly accrue the most informed constructive criticism possible. While we have no plans presently to continue any sort of classes we feel that the documentation and support materials as well as the knowledgeable community at launch will more than take the place of some short classes.

This sort of got off the rails a bit and there were a lot of mis/preconceptions about the program and i hope this clears it up fully for you all.
    KineticArtist;2754094 said:

In August the RBN goes in to Open beta and in September access to the XNA pipe line to the stores will be opened.

Also that isn't true, I think there may be another misconception. We have no set date for the Beta going public (that's why it is Beta), and the stores won't be opened at the same time.
    edited July 2009
    hmxsean;2756970 said:
    To clarify any misconceptions - before Beta and before proper, tested documentation, videos, and systems in place we did get some people ready for the program so that our relatively short closed Beta would have a few knowledgeable people in it and we would be able to quickly accrue the most informed constructive criticism possible. While we have no plans presently to continue any sort of classes we feel that the documentation and support materials as well as the knowledgeable community at launch will more than take the place of some short classes.

This sort of got off the rails a bit and there were a lot of mis/preconceptions about the program and i hope this clears it up fully for you all.
    thanks Sean! theres been alot of information and misconceptions touted about and people have ALOT of questions the news has pretty much struck everyone with awe at the hugeness of it all

The great thing about this RB community is the willingness to share knowledge and tips. just another reason why HMX rules and Nevervision droolz
  • iagomonkiagomonk Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    iagomonk;2756997 said:
    On topic for the off topic bit earlier:

Ploy of Oracle's version of House of the Rising Sun
    yeah and get this this.... thats the pre mastered quick mix.... the final mastered version is even better....
  • iagomonkiagomonk Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Well it sounds fantastic... :)
    edited July 2009
    iagomonk;2757025 said:
    Well it sounds fantastic... :)
    Ill let them know you said so!

In other news we just uploaded our pre contract application form if you are interested in working with Rock Band Create charting/authoring songs, marketing promotions, web development check it out and fill it in...
  • el_bobboel_bobbo Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Woot! The form is complete, let's get some entries for those who qualify folks.

http://www.rockbandcreate.com/
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Obviously, I won't qualify. But I'll fill the form anyway.

Nice try, Oddbrother.
    edited July 2009
    Oddbrother;2758462 said:
    Obviously, I won't qualify. But I'll fill the form anyway.

Nice try, Oddbrother.
    why would you say that? even without experience you might be taken on and given other duties besides charting/authoring and if you want to LEARN we will respect that what we want is GUMPTION, go getters, people who pay attention to the details, play testers and more
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I filled it out also,I probably dont have what you guys are looking for...But it's worth a shot I suppose.
    edited July 2009
    Please read the following on our endeavour and some new news regarding our domain here:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153412

Mods please lock this thread